• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvC:I Devs On Preserving Depth, Picking Characters, And Fixing Chun-Li's Face

Degen

Couldn't say "Marvel told us not to add X-Men" so he says that the moves are more important than the characters' identities

in this game full of licensed characters

whew

Forward

So Skullomania went home/to work and stayed a salary man?

Also, Capcom is rather wantonly abusing the term "killing it". Not softly, if a whimper.

Anth0ny

IIRC fans wanted a substantial single player experience, so now MvC is giving it to you. Be careful what you wish for, marks.

200.gif

Yes, they said we would have several single players contents like Arcade Mode, Story Mode, Training, Missions, etc.

TBH what has kept me interested in Injustice's single player content isn't the story mode, which you would be better off watching a movie version of on YouTube instead, but the customization options via a multiverse-style gameplay option. Tekken also has a similar customization feature to it that keeps it fresh. MVC won't have any of this though.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I dont recommend taking Producer speak from the US branch very seriously. They have very little power and will not take blame for anything.

For the most part, their job is to negotiate with Disney and sell you the game, so when they say "well fix her face" they dont mean shit, they have no idea the budget or implications and resources it takes to make that happen (would have to reanimate all of the story mode, for instance)

There is a high chance that they pressured Capcom Japan to have a "realistic" art style in order to compete with Injustice, clearly showing that they dont understand the market, or that you would need a much bigger budget in order to chase the level of narrative needed to compete there.

ptown

If any Capcom rep says X-Men aren't coming back because Marvel doesn't want them in the roster, it places blame on Marvel's side and Capcom may fear hurt relations with Marvel. This is Marvel's decision on which Marvel characters will be in this game.

For Combo to come up with an answer at all to that question about how come there are no X-Men characters without saying "cuz Marvel decisions" is quick wit. It wasn't the complete truth to speak for all players but the answer was as positive (and as truthful) a spin as could be done given the situation. Combo's background is first and foremost as a player. I imagine he's putting in input gameplay wise to get a good playing game.

Lulubop

I dont recommend taking Producer speak from the US branch very seriously. They have very little power and will not take blame for anything.

For the most part, their job is to negotiate with Disney and sell you the game, so when they say "well fix her face" they dont mean shit, they have no idea the budget or implications and resources it takes to make that happen (would have to reanimate all of the story mode, for instance)

There is a high chance that they pressured Capcom Japan to have a "realistic" art style in order to compete with Injustice, clearly showing that they dont understand the market, or that you would need a much bigger budget in order to chase the level of narrative needed to compete there.

I'm pretty sure Marvel dictated the roster and the art style like you said. It looks similar to their other mobile stuff as well. Capcom gonna be the one holding the L tho.

^ That too.

Capcom gonna be the one holding the L tho.

Yep because Marvel fans will be completely adamant about the intrinsic goodness of their favorite corporation as usual.

"You're wrong! Fox said they can't use X-Men in games and cartoons! Blame Fox despite the obvious!"

FluxWaveZ

That's such an absurdly stupid answer on the "functionality" of a character represented even if they aren't themselves. Completely dismisses the importance of aesthetics in what is, at its core, a fanservice fighting game.

Also, no one plays like Phoenix Wright.

Village

It does make sense, he just said it in the most idiotic way possible. You don't have to be an apologist to see that.
If you are referring to the function thing

There was no way people were going to understand that, because people don't view characters like functions. They view characters as cool ass characters that do cool shit, there was no version that was going to go over well as an explanation for missing characters, people just wanna play mag fucking neto, and that's it.

MaddenNFL64

They're making the game more casual friendly than even SFV?

This game will be even more detested by the FGC than I thought.

IbukiLordSA

Who doesn't like Sullomania? No wonder the game is fucked.

Also majority play characters because of who they are not what they cando, from her announcement I knew I would be playing Captain Marvel, I don't care how she plays I just think she is an awesome character.

There is an Xmen event going on for one of the DENA mobile games right now.

They've just been added, this is their debut event. So whatever Marvel were pulling with that shit ended.

I reckon the mutants are going to be DLC.

Dahbomb

They're making the game more casual friendly than even SFV?

This game will be even more detested by the FGC than I thought.
No they are not, this game is not that casual friendly.

And FGC players already got to play it, most of them love it. It was demoed at CEO. Game play issues aren't nearly as bad as the other issues in the game.

Neonep

No they are not, this game is not that casual friendly.

And FGC players already got to play it, most of them love it. It was demoed at CEO. Game play issues aren't nearly as bad as the other issues in the game.
One issue I have is that they know the game looks bad, why still release it. A a 3-4 month delay would do this game wonders.

NotLiquid

If characters are just functions then that nobody Spencer should have been the first to go, right Combofiend?

At least She Hulks gone. I hope whoever his third character was got cut too.

Function is probably exactly why Spencer was included lol

Hate the character all you want but he's incredibly unique

Dahbomb

One issue I have is that they know the game looks bad, why still release it. A a 3-4 month delay would do this game wonders.
Because delaying the game increases budgets and worries investors.

Capcom probably has to make a certain target for a particular fiscal quarter. MvCI is probably a big part of that fiscal quarter.

That's the only real explanation I have for them not delaying the game because even from a tournament point of view, releasing it in September is a wasteland.

Dahbomb

They loved SFV at E3 as well.
The game needs to come out and a meta needs to develop before people start turning on it. I see the lack of neutral being an excuse for some when they start losing.
There will always be an excuse when people lose.

"Game is too random", "Tag causes too many scrambles", "I have to hold too much stuff in this game!"

Anyone trying to make conclusive meta analysis statements within the first month of the game should be ignored unless it is coming from based Viscant.

This game is going to be a good litmus test for the FGC though. This game so far is the polar opposite of SFV. SFV is called out for being too simplistic and straightforward, lacking in creativity. MvCI is not straightforward and it is not simplistic, it definitely has the tools to be creative. What if the creativity of the game leads to some BS stuff and the FGC starts hating it too... or what if they love it because its so individualized in how a player approaches it. Should be interesting to see how the game develops and is received among the competitive crowd.

Socivol

IIRC fans wanted a substantial single player experience, so now MvC is giving it to you. Be careful what you wish for, marks.

So they say....remember what they said about SFV's single player story and how that turned out.

I can't reveal specifics on our story, but I can say we are going to be doing things differently this time around, [...] We're definitely paying attention to what our competitors are doing and want to raise the bar. Our story content is going to be unique and different from any previous Street Fighter game
remember that lovely quote?

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
No one is going back to UMvC3. This is going to be the Marvel game the pros play, especially if Capcom is putting up a lot of money. It won't be like how everyone went back to SFIV after being disappointed in SFxT. Worst case scenario, Marvel is dead.

Of course no one will go back to Marvel 3, but for SFxT & SF4, the idea was for them to co-exist. SFxT just faded into obscurity and then was routinely mocked until not even EVO inclusion could save it. My concern is that your worst case scenario is around the corner and that Marvel is indeed dead. It'll have a pretty hot first month at the very least, but that star's probably going to burn out quickly if this pre-release lack-of-hype is any indication.

Lulubop

Of course no one will go back to Marvel 3, but for SFxT & SF4, the idea was for them to co-exist. SFxT just faded into obscurity and then was routinely mocked until not even EVO inclusion could save it. My concern is that your worst case scenario is around the corner and that Marvel is indeed dead. It'll have a pretty hot first month at the very least, but that star's probably going to burn out quickly if this pre-release lack-of-hype is any indication.

No one is gonna drop the game is my the gameplay is their, no one is gonna drop the game because of Chunli's ugly mug.

If the characters didn't actually matter, just their functions, then why would Capcom even be doing a crossover fighter? Just make it Capcom vs. Super Heroes, and have Shield Guy, who can throw his shield, and armor guy who makes a cannon spawn out of nowhere.

It's too bad they can't just say that Marvel's forcing them not to have X-Men and FF characters. Its been really clear for a while now that its just that, but I guess Capcom isn't allowed to say it straight out. I think the higher ups at Marvel like the idea of having a fighter for their characters, and really it is a natural fit, since their superheroes are always fighting each other. I haven't seen too much of it, but stuff like Ultimate Spider-Man, and that Avengers Assemble cartoon seem to like putting in imagery that they're in a fighting game sometimes, so they probably thought they could push their new brands all the same with Capcom, since they had done it before, and didn't care that the game was built off the back of the X-men franchise.

I think in the end, this whole situation would be a lot less of a problem if they didn't make it a MvC game. Should have either not made it a crossover game, or given it a different name so that people wouldn't automatically associate it with the Vs. series. People probably would complain that there weren't X-men, but I think it wouldn't have been as bad.

Top Bottom