• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM - April 2008

Steroyd

Couldn't they just cut out the -/+ poop, that means they have a scale of 18 instead of 10 meaning the score between A- and B+ is that much more miniscule which is as bad as the 100 or decimal scale difference between 89 (8.9) and 91(9.1).

Zenith

Banned
Going by previous scores:

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I went back five pages to see if this was old news or not and found nothing.

Cover: GTA IV

Scores:

Wii:

Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed - C+ D+ C+ 6.0-6.5, 4.0-4.5, 6.0-6.5
No More Heroes - B A- B- 7.5-8.0, 8.5-9.0, 7.0-7.5
Obscure: The Aftermath - D+ D D+ (Shame of the Month) 4.0-4.5, 3.5-4.0, 4.0-4.5

Multiplatform:

Dynasty Warriors 6 - C D+ D+ 5.0-5.5, 4.0-4.5, 4.0-4.5
MLB 2K8 - B B- B 7.5-8.0, 7.0-7.5, 7.5-8.0
Condemned 2: Bloodshot - A- B+ B (Silver) 8.5-9.0, 8.0-8.5, 7.5-8.0
Sega Superstars Tennis - B- C+ C 7.0-7.5, 6.0-6.5, 5.0-5.5

Xbox 360:

Lost Odyssey - B+ B- B 8.0-8.5, 7.0-7.5, 7.5-8.0

DS:

Professor Layton - A- B+ A- (Silver) 8.5-9.0, 8.0-8.5, 8.5-9.0
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword - A- A- B (Silver) 8.5-9.0, 8.5-9.0, 7.5-8.0
Ace Attorney 4 - A- B+ A- (Silver) 8.5-9.0, 8.0-8.5, 8.5-9.0
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - A B- B- 9.0-9.5, 7.0-7.5, 7.0-7.5

PSP:

God Of War: CoO - A A- A- (Gold, Game of the Month) 9.0-9.5, 8.5-9.0, 8.5-9.0
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - B+ B+ A-8.0-8.5, 8.0-8.5, 8.5-9.0

There's no need to thank me.

Fady K

Wow, what a "beautiful" month.

No More Heroes, Lost Odyssey, Layton, Apollo Justice, Ninja Gaiden DS...awesome.

Didnt think Condemned 2 would do so well either! Wooo!

And well done, God of War. Three AAA titles in a row.

:D @ Crisis Core.

Haunted

Those letter grades are shit.

1) Crackdown sequel NOT LIKELY
2) Expect a "major PSP renaissance" in 2008 - PSP getting a bunch of "unique and original" games from major Japanese publishers
3) EA plans on making a mixed-martial arts game
4) RE5 will be in stores before/during Holiday 2008
5) Patapon spin-off on PSN
6) Dead Rising sequel, and it's not being made in L.A.
7) Wii Fit delayed in the US because Nintendo is making a bigger Balance Board

1) I thought we already knew that.
2) no
3) no
4) no
5) Possible
6) Possible
7) no

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm very relieved to see the good Condemned scores. Game delivered apparently. LO got what I expected, Dragon Sword and CoO prove that action games can be done on handhelds. Kickass month.

If Resident Evil 5 comes out this year, I'll eat a 10 gallon hat dipped in piss.

Ok no I wouldn't, but I would be extremely surprised..that game has GOTY written all over it if its cooked to perfection..maybe theyre alot further along than we know.

stilgar

abacab driver said:
If Resident Evil 5 comes out this year, I'll eat a 10 gallon hat dipped in piss.

Ok no I wouldn't, but I would be extremely surprised..that game has GOTY written all over it if its cooked to perfection..maybe theyre alot further along than we know.

Piss Bet. Interesting.

KZObsessed

Expect a "major PSP renaissance" in 2008 - PSP getting a bunch of "unique and original" games from major Japanese publishers

YES! Theres already Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and Final Fantasy: Dissidia coming. I hope we get a Resident Evil title as well as "unique and original" titles.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
VibratingDonkey said:
That would be my problem with it as well. Even though we don't use letter grades in school here, I think it's easy to comprehend what A-F stands for. But what the hell is the difference between an A+, A, A- and a B+?

So you could basically just ignore it then?

i would ignore it, yeah.

Dever

Banned
What's the point in going from 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0 etc to C-, C, C+, B-, B, B+ etc? Now people are just going to argue over the pluses and minuses instead of 0.5's.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Dever said:
What's the point in going from 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0 etc to C-, C, C+, B-, B, B+ etc? Now people are just going to argue over the pluses and minuses instead of 0.5's.

because the latter is much funnier.

Dever said:

The letter grades take care of the 4 points scale usually used.

LevelNth

Banned
I'd respect EGM so much more if they'd just freakin' realize that gaming is such a subjective critique, and as such continuing to try to so specifically quantify each score with these +'s and -'s is completely asinine. They should dump 'em and just stick with the letter grades. That would also serve to take focus off of the scores standing on their own, and increase the significance of the written portions of the reviews. It'd force the scores to do all they are supposed to do: provide a general idea of the quality of the game, leaving the specifics to the written article.

And if they really had a problem with not wanting too many A's, thus too many of the highest possible score, they could make an exception with A+, and a game that earns three being awarding the mag's platinum badge.

Top Bottom