• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

B-side G.A.M.E. planning thread while waiting for GT5

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

k guys, after over a year of it pretty much sitting there, i have finally sat down and read the manual of my microkorg. i'm gonna start using this thing like crazy now.

does anyone have a microkorg here? because i am trying to figure out how to emulate that sort of wobble bass used in dubstep. i'm not going to make a whole song with it though cuz i'm very tired of that dubstep sound just being the centre of attention. ive been messing around and trying to follow online tutorials for using other hardware/software but i can't seem to correspond the same actions they do in vids to my microkorg.

pirahna1

btkadams said:
k guys, after over a year of it pretty much sitting there, i have finally sat down and read the manual of my microkorg. i'm gonna start using this thing like crazy now.

does anyone have a microkorg here? because i am trying to figure out how to emulate that sort of wobble bass used in dubstep. i'm not going to make a whole song with it though cuz i'm very tired of that dubstep sound just being the centre of attention. ive been messing around and trying to follow online tutorials for using other hardware/software but i can't seem to correspond the same actions they do in vids to my microkorg.

Have an LFO modulate filter frequency then map your mod wheel to LFO depth. Insta-wobble.

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
First off, sorry for disappearing, got slammed with work and home stuff. I'll be more active in the coming weeks ahead.

btk, there's a super-duper editor for the microkorg that i'm using to do programming w/o having to deal with the limited UI of the thing. Here's the link to the microkorg editor

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/pro_keyboard/microkorg/pk_microkorg.asp

(click on the microKorg software icon on the right side)
is it relevant to the microKORG i have? or only the new microKORG XL that connects to the comp through firewire (or usb? i forget). the only thing thats connecting mine is patch cords and midi cables.

EDIT: reading and it says i just need midi cables? man im stupid. how do the midi cables transfer that kind of information? i guess i have no clue wtf midi cables actually do. i thought they were primitive cables that just transfer keystrokes and stuff. thanks so much for posting this!

The editor lets you visually tweak all the internal parameters of the microKorg and save patch sets as well. You will not hear any audio coming from your mac when you edit or tweak patches, all of the audio is generated by your microKorg in realtime so tweak away and make sure you've got speakers or headphones connected to your microKorg.

i've been creating chiptune vocoder patches with this sucker!

as for a midi cable i suggest you look at MIDI to USB converters. I use the M-Audio Uno for this since I also use my microKorg as a control surface for Reason and Logic

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
The editor lets you visually tweak all the internal parameters of the microKorg and save patch sets as well. You will not hear any audio coming from your mac when you edit or tweak patches, all of the audio is generated by your microKorg in realtime so tweak away and make sure you've got speakers or headphones connected to your microKorg.

i've been creating chiptune vocoder patches with this sucker!

as for a midi cable i suggest you look at MIDI to USB converters. I use the M-Audio Uno for this since I also use my microKorg as a control surface for Reason and Logic
i have a firepod so i have an interface no worries. i just didn't know that the midi was able to transfer all that info. i already had it set up nicely i believe. ill check the program out when i get home.

btkadams

program is working great. i think the thing thats most limiting is my own lack of knowledge of how to make specific sounds. can anyone identify the type of sound used in Cherry by mustard pimp? i want a synth thats like that ravy synth they use. the high one that goes overtop of the main bassline. everything i make seems to be a warme/smoother synth rather than the harsh one i want to have.

comes in at about 35 seconds into this video HERE.

pirahna1

btkadams said:
program is working great. i think the thing thats most limiting is my own lack of knowledge of how to make specific sounds. can anyone identify the type of sound used in Cherry by mustard pimp? i want a synth thats like that ravy synth they use. the high one that goes overtop of the main bassline. everything i make seems to be a warme/smoother synth rather than the harsh one i want to have.

comes in at about 35 seconds into this video HERE.

Try a couple detuned sawtooth waveforms with a heavy dose of distortion/saturation - should get you close. Basically the same sound used by MSTRKRFT / Justice / et al. The hoover of our generation.

Actually, it sounds a lot like a hoover patch now that I think about it. Youtube a tutorial for a hoover-type sound and you'll be on your way. You should be able to find a couple million vids :lol

btkadams

im slowly getting there. i need to read up more on the basics of all this lingo haha.

OKAY GUYS IT'S A NEW YEAR AND IT'S DAW RECOMMENDATION TIME.

what have you guys been using lately that you would recommend for a purchase? i really want a nice DAW for my birthday in a couple months but im not sure what to get. it would have to be one, but i feel like i want two! haha. cubase 5 and ableton live 8 have caught my attention.

ableton
- i love how i can make big mixes of songs in this program, the dj part of it is really valuable to me
- it also seems to have a lot of options for producing, rather than just making simple mixes

cubase
- it seems to be an industry standard among most of my favourite artists
- it has that really nice looking plugin that modifies voices (would be fantastic for remixes)

oh geez what to do

pirahna1

Have you demo'd them both extensively? Don't go on what other people use, only what works the best for you. If I had a mac I'd love to try out Logic. You might want to seriously consider it as well.

As for me, I've moved on from FL Studio to Ableton Live. FL allowed me to program beats super fast and the mixer was fuckawesome, but editing audio was pretty much non-existant and was holding me back (I couldn't stand switching back and forth from Audacity). So I could never stutter beats or do any kind of audio slicing/chopping. I mean, I could, but it was so backwards. I NEED to see the waveform I'm editing or I'm totally lost.

With Ableton I can record audio from any track currently playing without routing through my soundcard (which is shit). Another GREAT thing is freezing tracks. Basically turns any track into straight audio while keeping all midi and VST available to tweak (just takes a minute to switch between frozen and available). Which in turn saves a HUGE amount of CPU, once again a savior with my crap soundcard.

Find something with the features you enjoy and the workflow that makes it happen for you.

The big draw I heard about Cubase (and Logic) opposed to Live is that Live's MIDI implementation is slightly behind Cubase's. I heard this from Deadmau5, so take that with what you will. He uses FL for quick programming/sketching, Cubase for MIDI, possibly sequencing, and Ableton for his DJ sets and possibly sequencing too, I'm not positive. But once again, it's not about what other people use, only what works for you. I know some big name producers who won't upgrade from a 10 year old version of Acid or Soundforge, and some still programming on an Atari ST!

Same can be said about synths. Just because some big name guy can program the hell out of a Nord Lead doesn't mean that synth will taste right to you. Everyone has a different flavor and will be drawn to a different synth. I don't want to over-generalize, but you can make great sounds with just about any (true) synth out there.

Just get comfortable with what you own, learn it inside and out, and you'll be able to make great music.

Hope that helped :)

I eventually plan on moving to Studio One. Loved the demo.

As for now, I use Reaper which is great. That said I only really use DAWs as a host for Maschine in which I do a large majority of the sequencing.

btkadams

pirahna1 said:
Have you demo'd them both extensively? Don't go on what other people use, only what works the best for you. If I had a mac I'd love to try out Logic. You might want to seriously consider it as well.

As for me, I've moved on from FL Studio to Ableton Live. FL allowed me to program beats super fast and the mixer was fuckawesome, but editing audio was pretty much non-existant and was holding me back (I couldn't stand switching back and forth from Audacity). So I could never stutter beats or do any kind of audio slicing/chopping. I mean, I could, but it was so backwards. I NEED to see the waveform I'm editing or I'm totally lost.

With Ableton I can record audio from any track currently playing without routing through my soundcard (which is shit). Another GREAT thing is freezing tracks. Basically turns any track into straight audio while keeping all midi and VST available to tweak (just takes a minute to switch between frozen and available). Which in turn saves a HUGE amount of CPU, once again a savior with my crap soundcard.

Find something with the features you enjoy and the workflow that makes it happen for you.

The big draw I heard about Cubase (and Logic) opposed to Live is that Live's MIDI implementation is slightly behind Cubase's. I heard this from Deadmau5, so take that with what you will. He uses FL for quick programming/sketching, Cubase for MIDI, possibly sequencing, and Ableton for his DJ sets and possibly sequencing too, I'm not positive. But once again, it's not about what other people use, only what works for you. I know some big name producers who won't upgrade from a 10 year old version of Acid or Soundforge, and some still programming on an Atari ST!

Same can be said about synths. Just because some big name guy can program the hell out of a Nord Lead doesn't mean that synth will taste right to you. Everyone has a different flavor and will be drawn to a different synth. I don't want to over-generalize, but you can make great sounds with just about any (true) synth out there.

Just get comfortable with what you own, learn it inside and out, and you'll be able to make great music.

Hope that helped :)
oh i have used both cubase and ableton extensively. i used cubase le for like 3 years and then ableton for a year and a half. but those were older versions obviously. im now trying the ableton 8 demo. i was just asking for recommendations from people. i certainly wouldn't lay down half a grand on something only because mustard pimp or wolfgang gartner uses it haha.

Ableton Live 8 + MAX for Live...you are future-proofing yourself with this combo

For me i'm going to stick with Logic 9 and RECORD! I couldn't believe that I would even bother with Record but as a Reason user who loves to patch shit Record was a natural upgrade path for me. I may create all my music in Record in the future. I've found myself relying heavily on Plug-ins to make music but this wont be the case with Record :)

How are everybody's projects going? I finally got started in earnest on mine this week after a few false starts over the last month or so.

So far I'm pretty happy, I've got one great minute, but I don't know where to go from there. Or I should say, I know exactly where I want to go, I had the whole melody written and practiced before I got down to recording. But then when I did I started adding secondary instruments that took the song in a totally different direction so now I'm not sure how to get back on track, or if I even really want to.

Quiet is something that's pretty important in this genre. I'm setting most of my tracks at -10db or so, and I like how it sounds, you can get some subtle warmth in if you're that quiet. But I still haven't managed to duplicate the broad sound stage a lot of songs in this genre have; some of those tracks have huge warm spaces in them. Mine sounds just fine, but not quite like that. Maybe I've got too much going on to duplicate it, maybe I'm just not using reverb in the right way, maybe I could try using a space designer module on the master track (though I'm worried that might mush-ify everything), not really sure.

Hey, where's Iron Scimitar? He pretty much managed to pull off the kind of space I'm looking for in past tracks he's done here.

btkadams

so are we doing a b-side? or is this gonna prob end up turning to gt5 tracks?

im definitely going to be working a lot on tracks coming up because ableton suite 8 is now in the mail :D

btkadams

wow so my mom bought me ableton live 8 suite for my birthday. and my boyfriend is getting me this for our anniversary:

top_on.png

i feel so bad! so generous of them. i can't wait to play around with this controller and do some mixing with it!!!

GOODBYE GARAGEBAND! you fared me well.
goodbye.jpg

garageband_icon.png

now to get down to serious business for the GAME projects!

monchi-kun said:
Now that GT5's release date has been set i'm not going to hold people to doing the B-Side, in fact these downtempo songs could actually work for GT5.

lets keep this thread until I restart the GT5 G.A.M.E. thread.

I'd love to go through with the downtempo thing, but I think I'm the only one actively working on any tracks for it so maybe it's not going to happen :lol

i'm struggling with this one but i think it should still happen. starting a new job doesn't help much as well as my ongoing home improvement project...BUT...this time I will have a nice acoustically treated room in the end :D

pirahna1

I wanted to work on some downtempo songs, but I can't get out of my techno formula. School has been hectic so far this semester, but it should be dieing down so I can focus more on music. I'm trying to capture some Boards of Canada vibes - I'm getting there, but I need more time/development. I'm down for merging this with GT5 - GT has always had a jazzy, downbeat vibe - I think this project would fit it nicely.

As for controllers, I'd rather have a APC 40 over a LaunchPad. More controls = more sex IMO :lol It's a great live controller too. But right now I'm in the market for an analog poly synth. I'm looking around for a Juno-106 until Dave Smith decided to release his Mopho keyboard. Does anyone else use hardware on GAME? Or are we mostly ITB musicians?

my argument to more controls is the "human factor"...we can only control so much with our 2 hands :lol

check out the follow up to the Mopho...the TETRA

btkadams

monchi-kun said:
Now that GT5's release date has been set i'm not going to hold people to doing the B-Side, in fact these downtempo songs could actually work for GT5.

lets keep this thread until I restart the GT5 G.A.M.E. thread.

APC40 is an awesome piece of hardware but the Novation Launchpad is more functional. You should check it out.

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/launchpad

PLUS, the sucker is chainable!!!!
yeah i definitely wouldn't get as much out of that because i really wanted the knobs and stuff on the apc40 for some live digital djing. looks fucking rad otherwise though. i like all the pretty colours haha.

Put me down for merging with GT5 as well.

Hardware is super fun. Hardware that integrates perfectly with software is funner (which is why I really want to save up the dosh for an Access Virus TI).

I do loves me some software though. Just bought Drumaxx for 13$ (warning mac users: there's currently issues with the AU). Has some great not-electronic yet not-acoustic sounds. Very organic sound without sounding totally fake.

btkadams

pirahna1 said:
I wanted to work on some downtempo songs, but I can't get out of my techno formula. School has been hectic so far this semester, but it should be dieing down so I can focus more on music. I'm trying to capture some Boards of Canada vibes - I'm getting there, but I need more time/development. I'm down for merging this with GT5 - GT has always had a jazzy, downbeat vibe - I think this project would fit it nicely.

As for controllers, I'd rather have a APC 40 over a LaunchPad. More controls = more sex IMO :lol It's a great live controller too. But right now I'm in the market for an analog poly synth. I'm looking around for a Juno-106 until Dave Smith decided to release his Mopho keyboard. Does anyone else use hardware on GAME? Or are we mostly ITB musicians?
id love a juno! i havent heard much about the mopho its probably dope too.

i only use my microkorg as hardware.

Prez

I'm much more of a sound programmer but I should make music as well. I'd love to learn a few things from one of you. I can teach some synthesis in return.

monchi-kun said:

It's not quite a follow-up, more a 4-voice version of the Mopho. DSI always does this (Mono and Poly Evolver). Mopho is cheaper and really worth it if you just use it for bass, leads and crazy FX sounds :D

Anyway, old second hand stuff are a much better buy. Lots of old professional hardware to be found for less than new budget gear and much bigger sound. Roland JD- and JV-series, Kurzweil K-series, Kawai K3 and K4. Check it out. They have an amazing sound character that's just impossible to get with soft synths.

pirahna1

monchi-kun said:

Not enough knobs. This is what I was referring to:

765508302_qY4gB-XL.jpg

Now you can make sounds without the damned editor :D Plus you can hook up a Tetra if you wish for a fully controlled 5 voice poly unit. Mr. Smith said they'd start shipping the Mopho KB around April/May for about $800, not a bad price.

Oh, and Skittles, or was it Snapple?

Prez

pirahna1 said:
Not enough knobs. This is what I was referring to:

Now you can make sounds without the damned editor :D Plus you can hook up a Tetra if you wish for a fully controlled 5 voice poly unit. Mr. Smith said they'd start shipping the Mopho KB around April/May for about $800, not a bad price.

Actually, you can easily hook up the MoPho to any synth/keyboard and use those knobs to control the parameters. If you already have a keyboard with plenty knobs, a Tetr4 gives you 4x the voices and the same ease of control for the same price. You can't go wrong with it :D

Also GAF, consider my request from my previous post. I'd like to talk with some people with the same interest :)

lil smoke

Banned
Stabbie said:
Also GAF, consider my request from my previous post. I'd like to talk with some people with the same interest :)
I like synthesis, but I find there is only so much you can do until you introduce sampled waves. Otherwise making sounds is all the same synthesized or not, at least imo. A source, a coupla filters and EQs are basically a synth.

Prez

You couldn't be more wrong actually. Synthesis is waaay more than just source, filter and EQ. Sample based synthesis works the same way as any other synth, but with samples instead of sawtooth/pulse/triangle/sine.

Modulation is extremely important to make your sound anything more than dull. Then there's effects. It's easy to use preset effects, but when you start programming your own delays and reverbs, that's where it gets interesting.

Anyway, it would just be nice to talk to someone with common interests.

lil smoke

Banned
Stabbie said:
You couldn't be more wrong actually. Synthesis is waaay more than just source, filter and EQ. Sample based synthesis works the same way as any other synth, but with samples instead of sawtooth/pulse/triangle/sine.

Modulation is extremely important to make your sound anything more than dull. Then there's effects. It's easy to use preset effects, but when you start programming your own delays and reverbs, that's where it gets interesting.
I'm with u, but you can do all of that without a synth. As a matter of fact, I've long started using my own delays and verbs in place of the synths's internal FX. More and more I find my DAW and other plugs can do a lot of things with standard waveforms, aiff/wav files, and internal automation.

But hey, I have always been down for conversation in these GAME threads if you look back.

Prez

I'm not talking about hardware synths, just synthesis in general. You can do synthesis on tons on soft synths. Though I admit I'm a fan of old sample based synths. Those lo-fi samples have a very nice character combined with those old digital filters.

But like I said, I'm just looking for people with common interests.

lil smoke

Banned
I don't own one HW synth, I'm all ITB.

For me synthesizing is simply combining original sounds with others to make new sounds. By whatever means you have dispensable.

Have you checked out Morgana by 112db? They have a sampler that lets you import your audio files, and it imparts this old school sampling quality that I haven't heard from anywhere else. Plugin was buggy when I tested it long ago. but I won't forget that nostalgic feel I got when I 1st heard it.

Prez

Sounds good, but I'm sticking to my hardware for a while. I like the sound of software, I just hate working with it. Doesn't really matter, I'm paying €80 each for those old digital synths and I'm loving it.

Stabbie said:
I'm much more of a sound programmer but I should make music as well. I'd love to learn a few things from one of you. I can teach some synthesis in return.

Honestly, I think sound designers have a huge leg up on most musicians when it comes to electronic stuff. Not that I'm an expert, but most compositions are actually fairly simple. You've probably heard enough that you're familiar with the component parts, it's just a matter of breaking it down when you're listening and hearing what you want to do. Just play around with it.

I think so much of what constitutes a song comes out of the texture and snap of the initial sound, and then how a track is mixed. If you know how to make sounds that pop and sound original, that's just as much a compositional art as songwriting imo. Heck, that's pretty much what the drone & ambient genres revolve around.

btkadams

is gran turismo ever coming out??? i made a track for it called Watch This! on my soundcloud though it's not that jazzy, i guess it's almost more Forza electro feeling. i'm still planning on making a jazzy one as well.

i'll be honest though, i haven't even started a down tempo song, i've been too focussed on the 130 bpm range for my mixing i've been doing. i'd love to make a really chill song though so i think i'm gonna try that out pretty quick here.

Yo guys, GT5 has an official release date, Nov. 2 this year, which mens that for those still interested we can put things into gear for the soundtrack. Anybody know what happened to the original GT5 G.A.M.E. thread? I can't seem to find it.

btkadams

LiveFromKyoto said:
Yo guys, GT5 has an official release date, Nov. 2 this year, which mens that for those still interested we can put things into gear for the soundtrack. Anybody know what happened to the original GT5 G.A.M.E. thread? I can't seem to find it.
yeah i can't find it either. maybe we just had the forza thread? i'm not sure.

we can make another one i guess. or just keep using this thread in the mean time for the planning. so im guessing people kinda forgot about the whole b-sides thing. we could still technically put something out before the gt5 g.a.m.e. release though.

what are everybody's thoughts? i think we should have the gt5 tracks all done for october 2nd so that whoever is mastering has decent time to put it together and the rest of us could have that month to help spread the word about a nov 2nd release for the compilation.

btkadams said:
yeah i can't find it either. maybe we just had the forza thread? i'm not sure.

Monchi mentions another thread up above, but I forget how it went. No reason we can't just start fresh.

so im guessing people kinda forgot about the whole b-sides thing. we could still technically put something out before the gt5 g.a.m.e. release though.

I'd be happy to, but I think most people lost interest in that particular project.

what are everybody's thoughts? i think we should have the gt5 tracks all done for october 2nd so that whoever is mastering has decent time to put it together and the rest of us could have that month to help spread the word about a nov 2nd release for the compilation.

That makes the most sense. 3.5 months should be enough to throw a race tune together.

pirahna1

Yeah, I say ditch the b-sides album, no point in it if GT5 is coming out in, what, 4 months?

Let's just do the GT5 album. I'm down!

btkadams

LiveFromKyoto said:
It sounds like a variation on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIq1h0xG8Ys

That's for the ES2 in Logic, but the fundamentals should be the same for whatever analogue synth you're using.

EDIT: I hear at least 3 layers to it though, one of which sounds like a super-sub in a monophonic synth with a filter over top.
thanks! yeah i figured out how to make a similar synth now. sweet beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom