• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori US Trailer Released -- North American Release September 27th

Grokbu

One of the things I like about Gust games is that they often have great character art. This game is no exception.

froliq

Will wait for euro release on this one. NA release date is too close to ICO&SOTC Collection and Dark Souls.

Coxy

Will preorder the second the LE is up, loved Rorona, still craved more even after getting all the endings. This is supposedly much betterand borrows from the Iris and Mana Khemia games to deliver a more adventure-y experience

btw You guys probably shouldnt bother importing the artbooks if you dont know any japanese since they seem to actually be getting western releases these days. Just bought Rorona and Ar tonelico ones off Amazon yesterday :D

NeededSleep

Game has a time limit to do things right?
This game feature usually keeps me away from playing games, i like to wonder around and take my time.

Coxy

MoogPaul said:
Is there any kind of continuity in the series at all?

yes it's a direct sequel with returning characters, the Arland series is 3 parts, Rorona, Totori then Meruru

NeededSleep said:
This game feature usually keeps me away from playing games, i like to wonder around and take my time.

It does but it's much more lenient than the one in Rorona

tiff

Banned
KyteTron said:
YES your avy is win.
Thanks~

Gotta represent the show of the season after all!

MoogPaul said:
Is there any kind of continuity in the series at all?
Only between games that take place in the same setting. Totori takes place between Rorona and Meruru, but is related to none of the others.

NeededSleep said:
If it's anything like Rorona you'll have more than enough time to do whatever you want.

I've never played any of the Atelier games. Are they akin to tradition jRPGs like Final Fantasy and/or the Tales series?

Is the game play heavily dependent on Alchemy? I thought that was a keystone if the Atelier aeries but I could be wrong.

Coxy

Reluctant-Hero said:
I've never played any of the Atelier games. Are they akin to tradition jRPGs like Final Fantasy and/or the Tales series?

Is the game play heavily dependent on Alchemy? I thought that was a keystone if the Atelier aeries but I could be wrong.

The Atelier Iris games are more like yer final fantasies and stuff, most Atelier games are centered around Alchemy. Totori is somewhat of an in-between the two. The adventurer system is as important as alchemy in it

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Reluctant-Hero said:

There's very little required battling to be honest, though some of the later areas will kick your ass if you haven't battled anything. It's mostly Alchemy and Time Management with 14 endings depending on how you go about it. Hell, there isn't even a "final boss" really.

EDIT: Only speaking about Rorona, as I've not played Totori.

Nice, thanks for answers! Not sure if these games are for me. I think I really just need to get either Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia to satisfy my console jRPG cravings.

survivor

Banned
Yeah this time management part has me worried. Is it more like there is a timer to do things, but you wouldn't notice since you will always have enough time, or do you actually have at some points to rush through decisions.

survivor said:
Yeah this time management part has me worried. Is it more like there is a timer to do things, but you wouldn't notice since you will always have enough time, or do you actually have at some points to rush through decisions.

Well, it is more like you have so many days to complete an assignment and it is up to you to choose how to accomplish that.

Generally, it isn't that bad to meet the assignments as you should have enough time to do everything that you would want to.

I'm not so sure about Totori though, as I don't think there is a flat assignment progression that Rorona has. There is more time in Totori though compared to Rorona.

survivor

Banned
dakkumauji said:
Well, it is more like you have so many days to complete an assignment and it is up to you to choose how to accomplish that.

Generally, it isn't that bad to meet the assignments as you should have enough time to do everything that you would want to.

I'm not so sure about Totori though, as I don't think there is a flat assignment progression that Rorona has. There is more time in Totori though compared to Rorona.
So is it more like games like Sengoku Rance? Where there are days and each day you can do like 3-4 actions.

tiff

Banned
survivor said:
So is it more like games like Sengoku Rance? Where there are days and each day you can do like 3-4 actions.
Kinda, yeah. Though you burn through more days in Rorona at least, compared to Sengoku Rance. Many actions, from exploring areas to advanced alchemy recipes, require multiple days to complete.

survivor said:

Well, not so sure about Totori as there is an additional town in this game but in Rorona only making items and moving between maps cost time. Battling ,moving within town, fullfilling requests and other stuff won't cost time.

You'll see how much time it takes to make each item or in moving in between maps in a dungeon. I would say most of the time is spent just moving from map to map and from the dungeon to town and vice versa.

I would assume that in Totori it would be the same where item making and movement between town and dungeons and within dungeons cost time and nothing else.

Coxy

Yeah it's not a hard time limit, it isnt always running, just uses days like turns when you do certain things, you wont be losing time just by fighting or talking to people or anything. It just takes several days to travel to locations or to create items.

jiggle

there's enough time to do most things
but you'll wish there's more time for you to waste
esp if you want to get the most out of the game in 1 single play through

survivor said:

3 years
12 months
30 days a month

iirc, 1 action will take up an entire day, even if said action doesn't use up the full day
for example, crafting an item, takes 1/2 a day
you'll use up the whole day regardless if you make 1, or 2 of said item

moving to dungeons, and within them,will take up multiple days

survivor

Banned
Alright thanks guys. It sounds much better than I thought it will be. I liked the days time progression in Sengoku Rance and this game seems to allow you to do more actions overall so it's even better.

KyteTron

Banned
tiff said:
Thanks~

Gotta represent the show of the season after all!

Reverse Trap
= major bonus points~

Stupid question: is the camera fully controllable? or is it like AT3? (hasn't played Rorona yet).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
That was a super cute trailer ^_^

Been looking for a PS3 rpg. This one has party members and turn based battles I hope? All the talk of alchemy worries me. It drove me nuts in DQ games! Does this game at least tell you in-game what all ya need to combine to make stuff or would I basically have to be playing with a faq loaded up right next to me?

jiggle said:
there's enough time to do most things
but you'll wish there's more time for you to waste
esp if you want to get the most out of the game in 1 single play through

3 years
12 months
30 days a month

iirc, 1 action will take up an entire day, even if said action doesn't use up the full day
for example, crafting an item, takes 1/2 a day
you'll use up the whole day regardless if you make 1, or 2 of said item

moving to dungeons, and within them,will take up multiple days

Stuff like this also worries and confuses me @_@

KyteTron said:
Reverse Trap
= major bonus points~

Stupid question: is the camera fully controllable? or is it like AT3? (hasn't played Rorona yet).

It is more like AT3. There really isn't a need to move the camera. On the field, gathering spots are marked with a star in a bubble that it easy to see. The only thing I found trouble with was what part of the field I could walk on and could not, but that could just be due to Rorona's game.

Lindsay said:
Been looking for a PS3 rpg. This one has party members and turn based battles I hope? All the talk of alchemy worries me. It drove me nuts in DQ games! Does this game at least tell you in-game what all ya need to combine to make stuff or would I basically have to be playing with a faq loaded up right next to me?
Yes, plenty of party members and turn based battles. Starting with Totori, there is also a turn order that can be seen in battle as well. Alchemy is pretty simple, you have to find the recipes in game, and they tell you what items you need and how many you need.
There isn't any really free-based alchemy and instead just follows the recipes that are in-game.

Coxy

Lindsay said:
That was a super cute trailer ^_^

Stuff like this also worries and confuses me @_@

Dont worry about the alchemy, it's a key feature for a reason, it's a REALLY GOOD alchemy system and yes it has all the recipes and stuff ingame. Yes it's turn based with support attacks/defends for turn breaking. Yes you have a party and you interact a lot with them. There's either 8 or 10 playable characters I forget

Here are two importer impressions and reviews for you guys:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/0...ving-the-life-of-another-alchemist-in-arland/ --Some glowing remarks from siliconera.

http://translate.google.com/transla...dventurer-of-arland/&sl=pt&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8 --And here's a review. The english is rough but you should be able to get the gist of what's being said. The reviewer gave the game a 9.

Here are two gameplay vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6svCA5Rl5c --Battle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo-UW3A4xeI&feature=related --Massive Desert. Huh? What's that in the distance? ...WHOA!!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
dakkumauji said:
Yes, plenty of party members and turn based battles. Starting with Totori, there is also a turn order that can be seen in battle as well. Alchemy is pretty simple, you have to find the recipes in game, and they tell you what items you need and how many you need.
There isn't any really free-based alchemy and instead just follows the recipes that are in-game.
Coxy said:
Dont worry about the alchemy, it's a key feature for a reason, it's a REALLY GOOD alchemy system and yes it has all the recipes and stuff ingame. Yes it's turn based with support attacks/defends for turn breaking. Yes you have a party and you interact a lot with them. There's either 8 or 10 playable characters I forget

I just gotta worry about that time stuff then? Thats cools I can maybe adapt. I like my rpgs gameplay as simple as possible and item creation is usually a pain! Guess a game based around it would have ta be simplified so thats good by me.

Spirit Icana said:

Please tell me that either a.) a boss battle b.) an item demo or c.) both and not an example of the length or regular random battles!

Lindsay said:
I just gotta worry about that time stuff then? Thats cools I can maybe adapt. I like my rpgs gameplay as simple as possible and item creation is usually a pain! Guess a game based around it would have ta be simplified so thats good by me.

Please tell me that either a.) a boss battle b.) an item demo or c.) both and not an example of the length or regular random battles!

That is most likely a boss battle. I don't think most battles would be that long or that dramatic either.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
KyteTron said:
Reverse Trap
= major bonus points~

Oh you
must have loved the plot twist about Cocona in Ar Tonelico 3

Mauricio_Magus said:
Day 1, I hope it does well enough so we can get Meruru.

Same here, aside from their really really idiotic statement about an older Rorona, Meruru looks like a great game.

Well awesome news ..but i'm still not done with atelier rorona ...
( and i still have manakhémia looking at me formy shelf ).

Will buy it anyway ...

lljride

Looks great. I finally came around on Rorona (going through it now), but September is so stacked I don't know when I would get around to playing Totori. I'll probably buy it day 1 and hopefully find some time towards the end of the year.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
lljride said:
Looks great. I finally came around on Rorona (going through it now), but September is so stacked I don't know when I would get around to playing Totori. I'll probably buy it day 1 and hopefully find some time towards the end of the year.

My september is pretty slim, but I am an outlier.

le.phat

Without checking the actual trailer,seeing the avatars of the people congregating around this title i'm rapidly losing interest...

....aaand rock bottom.

atomsk

Party Pooper
le.phat said:
Without checking the actual trailer,seeing the avatars of the people congregating around this title i'm rapidly losing interest...

....aaand rock bottom.

Gust makes lighthearted RPG games, and some people appreciate that?

I understand the *actual* point you're trying to infer, and it makes you sound really stupid honestly.

Top Bottom