• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Swap-Force announced! (Fall 2013): New dev, new 2-part figures,...

The shaders giving the toys a handcrafted plastic feel look gorgeous

skylanders_swap_force_9.jpg

tonykornheiserwhy.gif

I just wanted to get a few things! A few! It turned into a cross town scramble and all these things. I shouldn't shop on 5 hours sleep, confirmed.

IMAG0302.jpg

They messed up not announcing an upgrade program for this, since presumably the actual portal would work say PS3 USB to PS4. Provide a "upgrade for $10 for a digital download of PS4 game" like AC4, COD Ghost etc. Same applies to xbone of course if the portal is HW compat. They'd make an additional $10 (and I imagine not many people will buy both current gen and a next gen game, most people would wait).

I planned on getting the PS4 version but that is going to mean a lot of other games vying for attention, while this month is relatively free of releases for me (dont care about Battlefield for example).

I'm waiting for PS4 release. It's hard to wait, but I don't want to regret not waiting.

Yeah its too expensive to warrant double dipping, especially since you get the same figures both times.

I was interested in the 3DS version in the meantime since it does have different figures than the console games, but they want same price which is too high to justify.

Moar reviews

Kotaku Should you play it? Yes (v. positive review)

Chicago Tribune 9/10

They messed up not announcing an upgrade program for this, since presumably the actual portal would work say PS3 USB to PS4. Provide a "upgrade for $10 for a digital download of PS4 game" like AC4, COD Ghost etc. Same applies to xbone of course if the portal is HW compat. They'd make an additional $10 (and I imagine not many people will buy both current gen and a next gen game, most people would wait).

I planned on getting the PS4 version but that is going to mean a lot of other games vying for attention, while this month is relatively free of releases for me (dont care about Battlefield for example).
I agree completely, but it's not too late. They might do it once the current gen dust settles.

Amneisac

I'm waiting for PS4 release. It's hard to wait, but I don't want to regret not waiting.

Stay strong. I was doing that also, but we bought it on 360 this morning. Honestly, it plays and looks really good so far. I don't know how much better the PS4 version looks, but this looks INFINITELY better than the WiiU version of Giants. I'm glad I got it now. I just can't decide if I'll keep my PS4 pre-order or not. I think I'll probably cancel it.

fernoca

Stay strong. I was doing that also, but we bought it on 360 this morning. Honestly, it plays and looks really good so far. I don't know how much better the PS4 version looks, but this looks INFINITELY better than the WiiU version of Giants. I'm glad I got it now. I just can't decide if I'll keep my PS4 pre-order or not. I think I'll probably cancel it.
Well, Wii U version of Giants was just a port if the 360/PS3 versions...which were based on the Wii version. It ran at 1080p native at least.

Anyway...my Amazon 3DS copy just shipped and will pick up the Wii U version in a few hours.

If I see a Mega Ram Spyro I'll get it. Otherwise, the 3 Wii U starters, 3-3DS starters and the Lightcore Hex will do (along the other ones from the first two games).

Sucks now having the Infinity portal and this one on the front USBs on the Wii U! :p

EDIT: Made a quick OT to move things from here to there. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696661
Wasn't planning on making OTs ever, but...oh well. Will add more stuff with time and depending on interest.

U2NUMB

Damn it... I had no idea it was out today and I wanted to resist.. Just got back after spending 200 :(

Damn this series... also my Toys R Us looked like a tornado went though it. Also they had a massive display set up. I was still able to grab their exclusives which was cool. I do not plan on going nuts like I have in the past. Picking up just the new characters rather than the reposed previous ones is my plan....

We could do with a proper OT for this. List all characters and so forth .. surprised we do not have one already.

Hawk269

Damn it... I had no idea it was out today and I wanted to resist.. Just got back after spending 200 :(

Damn this series... also my Toys R Us looked like a tornado went though it. Also they had a massive display set up. I was still able to grab their exclusives which was cool. I do not plan on going nuts like I have in the past. Picking up just the new characters rather than the reposed previous ones is my plan....

We could do with a proper OT for this. List all characters and so forth .. surprised we do not have one already.

Love the screen name btw!!!

Yeah, we need a OT for this. TRU is having the buy 1 get 1 40% off, so with the discount it is easy to get many characters at reduced prices. Some of the new Lightcore figures look really good!

Hawk269

Back at ya..

First annoying thing. I have old portal .. new portal and infinity plate plugged in. Swap Force sees old portal and forces you to unplug it. Why not notice I also have the new one plugged in.

You would think that it would recognize which portal to activate based on what game you load, so it is weird that they did not make it where you could have both plugged in. So I assume the new portal does not work with the older games?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I wonder how this new one will sell after seeing Disney Infinity turning to a bomba (but then again maybe people just waited for Skylanders)

Picked this up today for WiiU, along with a couple of the new figures. Having second thoughts, though, as my purchase was really a toss-up between WiiU and PS3 versions. Any WiiU folks out there with impressions on framerate, gameplay issues, etc.? I've only just gotten home with it, so taking it back to swap for a PS3 version really shouldn't be an issue if needs be.

Just went in, already spent around $400. Lulz.

So far I've seen:
Console bundles available everywhere
Singles available everywhere
Swap singles available everywhere
Fiery Forge, Tower of Time available everywhere
Toys R Us has exclusive Legendary Free Ranger, Legendary Grim Creeper
Lightcores available at non-Toys R Us locations?
Target has exclusive 2pks (Nitro Magna Charge + Rattle Shake or Free Ranger)
Walmart has exclusive 3pk (mega ram spyro, super gulp pop fizz, regular star strike), and enchanted hoot loop
GameStop has Dark Bundle (5x dark version characters)

Toys R Us running buy 1 get 1 40%, good starting location

Following link was a good source:
http://kotaku.com/skylanders-swap-force-buyers-guide-what-to-get-what-1443590555

Dragoshi1

Got the Dark Edition for PS3.

Wanted Popthorn's set, but I'm gonna wait, not splurging this time. Eventually everything will be ehavily discounted and in abundance, just as Giants was near the first year mark.

U2NUMB

I wonder how this new one will sell after seeing Disney Infinity turning to a bomba (but then again maybe people just waited for Skylanders)

Well I am certainly surprised at how many of the starter packs were sold. I figured having to buy a new portal would upset people. BUT if you think about it.. you get 3 characters the game and a new portal for 75. Its not a bad deal.

2 of the stores I stopped at had sold out of the 360 starter packs.

I have not heard of any numbers on Infinity.. so it has officially bombed? From what I can tell people still have the skylanders itch.

Top Bottom