• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Swap-Force |OT|

fernoca

Obu3x1q.png

• Available now for: Wii | Wii U | Xbox 360 | PS3 | Nintendo 3DS
  • Coming Soon for: Xbox One | PS4
  • Developed by Vicarious Visions | Wii version developed by Beenox | Nintendo 3DS version developed by n-Space

Embark on an exciting new adventure with the Skylanders and the SWAP Force. For generations, the SWAP Force protected the volcano that replenishes Skylands’ magic.
That is until an epic battle caught them in an eruption that blasted them apart, sent them to Earth and gave them the ability to swap powers. Only you can mix and match their tops and bottoms, put them on the new Portal of Power™ and save Skylands.

FMewYB8.png

Notes:
  • The game's only available as a 'Starter Pack' ($74.99) which includes:
    • The game
    • Brand new Portal
    • 3 figures
    • 3 trading cards
    • 1 poster
  • The previous portal is not compatible with Swap-Force. And if you have the other portal connected to the same console, the game asks you to unplug said portal.
  • You can use the new portal with the old games; so there's no need for having both portals connected anyway.
  • All figures from previous games can be used in this game.
  • 'Jump' has been added to the game. Characters have a single jump on the console versions and double jump on 3DS.
  • Level-cap has been raised to 20.
  • Multiplayer is (still) limited to 2 players locally (offline). Second player can joint at any time.
  • Wii U version specifics:
    • Off-TV play is supported
    • Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro controller, Wii Remote + Nunchuck and/or Wii Remote + Classic Controller; can be used
    • Screenshot capture through Miiverse (580p) or the more recent Nintendo Image Share (720p)
    3DS version specifics:
    • Core game is the same as Giants (platformer, double jump, spinoff)
    • You can have your entire collection at all times. (Just scan each figure once)
    • Keeping in mind that to save the stats to the figure, you have to scan the figure again in-game.
    • Streetpass allows you to bring a Skylander from another person, to your game to play during one level.
  • Wii version specifics:
    • Mostly similar, but with the expected visual downgrade and less details, more simple character models and special effects. (still looks good)
    • No online leaderboards.
    • Can only be played with the Wii Remote + Nunchuck.

Coming November 15, for $299.99:
9iAX66T.png

Includes:
  • 8GB Wii U - white
  • Nintendoland game disc
  • Skylanders Swap-Force game disc
  • Portal of Power
  • 3 figures:
    • Washbuckler (color shift/ Swap-Force)
    • Blast Zone (Swap-Force)
    • Stealth Elf (series 3)
  • Characters poster, 3 stickers and 3 trading cards
About this bundle: During their Black Friday sale (November 29), Gamestop will give away a $25 giftcard and a Skylanders backpack with purchases of this bundle (white supplies last).

*Work-in-progress, to move/start discussion on here from the other threads, as there wasn't an OT for this and I wasn't planning on making one. But I'm still a big fan of the series.*

fernoca

What I got earlier today:
Lightcore Hex was the preorder extra. 3DS version should be here by the end of this week.

And a note added to the main post: while you can't use the older portals with this game, you can use the new portal with the old games.

Tripon

I didn't realize that Skylanders came out the same weekend as Pokemon X and Y. Activision is probably kicking themselves for that.

I ended picking up way more than I thought I was going to. Oh well.

So, I never picked up Giants. Anyone with Giants want to do me a favor and see if the Swap Force portal is backwards compatible with Giants? I'd like to just pick up a used copy if I don't need the portal.

fernoca

I ended picking up way more than I thought I was going to. Oh well.

So, I never picked up Giants. Anyone with Giants want to do me a favor and see if the Swap Force portal is backwards compatible with Giants? I'd like to just pick up a used copy if I don't need the portal.

Question is already answered in the main post. :p
Yep. Well, at least on Wii U, so ..guess it should be the same for the other versions. Just tried now, since I'm going to start the game now; decided to check that first.

There's an update on the game, on Wii U also. So, parents grabbing this for their kids as Christmas presents; might be cool if you manage to update the game first just in case. Will post the size of the update later..but based on my internet speed, seems to be small.

NoTacos

I don't play it, but we've been rolling this out all day at my job. Love the new packaging and swappable bottoms? Cool.

Question is already answered in the main post. :p
Yep. Well, at least on Wii U, so ..guess it should be the same for the other versions. Just tried now, since I'm going to start the game now; decided to check that first.

There's an update on the game, on Wii U also. So, parents grabbing this for their kids as Christmas presents; might be cool if you manage to update the game first just in case. Will post the size of the update later..but based on my internet speed, seems to be small.

Oh, cool. Didn't see it. I'm running on 5 hours of sleep, since I woke up early to get all the things.

Oh, this looks way cool.
I've never purchased any games from the franchise, but this one looks really swell.
May even go and try it out... >.>

The Tower of Time add on level from the adventure pack is really good, and really long, took me at least an hour. I ran into a nasty glitch in the first level, an enemy in one of the enemy waves was frozen in place and invincible, so the last door wouldn't open. Reloaded the checkpoint and got past it.

Any Wii shots? Beenox did the Wii version. Wonder how it compares to the previous Wii versions (which were the base versions, not so this time).

What's the base version this time? Wii U, XBox 360?

Vicarious took over this time and are behind the PS360 and likely Wii U versions.

It's telling that Beenox is only behind the Wii version and TFB is not even really involved at all, they did the Wii version of the first (main version) while XPEC did the PS360 versions IIRC, the main Wii version and the PS360 version of Giants (Vicarious did the Wii U version).

phants

I've been pretty critical of this series (mostly around its inability to provide layers of gameplay that simultaneously allow the title to appeal to a wide range of audiences - it's always been, imo, locked to only young players) but I've actually been quite impressed by Swap Force. Keen to play the full thing before deciding either way, but... I'm cautiously optimistic. Any verdicts on that aspect of it?

I'm buying the Dark Edition (PS3) and immediately trading in the game and portal towards the PS4 starter. I just want the limited figures.

Kinsei

Banned
Picked up the dark starter pack and the rest of the swappers earlier today. It's my first Skylanders game and I'm loving it.

I'm surprised that the game is actually challenging in some spots (On hard mode at least). I did the second arena fight right after I unlocked it and only managed to get through it by the skin of my teeth.

Free Shake is easily the best character available at the moment, he's so good.

Hawk269

The game itself is so much better than the previous games and it looks a hell of a lot better than them too. I like what they did with the game, worlds are a lot bigger by a long shot and there is a lot of "collecting" to do in the game and unlocks, which for me is a big plus.

I am curious how much better the PS4/Xbox One versions are going to be. I am hoping for true 1080p/60fps with some good AA.

Zing

Banned
The addition of jumping pretty much forces me to pass on this one. The platforming was absolutely perfect on the previous games for playing with children. You could never fall off ledges, and "jumping" via the bounce pads was hand-designed and just the right amount of challenge. Here, even in the first level, you have moving platforms to navigate.

I do like the dual element gates.

Gusto

I pre-ordered the dark edition for Hex and the limited edition figures. I also went to Toys R Us for the exclusive figures. I'm a crazy collector and I have kids so it all works out.

Kinsei

Banned
The addition of jumping pretty much forces me to pass on this one. The platforming was absolutely perfect on the previous games for playing with children. You could never fall off ledges, and "jumping" via the bounce pads was hand-designed and just the right amount of challenge. Here, even in the first level, you have moving platforms to navigate.

I do like the dual element gates.

You don't take damage from falling in pits and the game will put you on the next platform if you make it over half the distance of the pit. Just thought I'd mention it in case it influenced your decision to buy the game.

Kryten

I pre-ordered the dark edition for Hex and the limited edition figures. I also went to Toys R Us for the exclusive figures. I'm a crazy collector and I have kids so it all works out.

You've pretty much described my house. My boys like the collecting part but aren't crazy into it, but I am. Dark Edition all the way, if only because here in NZ it's coming with the 2 extra figures + Polar Whirlwind.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I didn't realize that Skylanders came out the same weekend as Pokemon X and Y. Activision is probably kicking themselves for that.

I dunno about that, Skylanders audience are kinda different, it's not the same game/genre like Pokemon, and Skylanders wasn't only on 3DS but sold tons on PS3 and 360 as well as the Wii, and I doubt that most of the userfans have 3DSs since it wasn't really big on handheld.

I think Skylanders will be fine, it's a new and growing series with its own new loyal fans/generation.

fernoca

My original plan was to get the Dark Edition, and was the edition I preordered...or so I thought, Turned out, that they put me in for the regular edition. No stores in here got the Wii U/Dark (but did for the other console) so I had no way to change it.

But I guess it was for the best. Over the last days, I thought the regular figures looked cooler than the darker ones and in the end, for less than it; ended getting what I posted earlier: the game and Lightcore Hex, the Mega Ram Spyro that I wanted and the limited edition guide which looks really cool.

Anyway...
I'm looking for suggestions about what else to add to the main post, but mostly restricted to FAQs..kind of stuff (i.e. questions, answers); stuff that if anyone has a doubt about the game, they just look at the main post and get an answer. I'm not a big fan of reviews, which is why I usually don't add them to threads unless others want to.

Thanati

Wow, great reviews so far!

My kid (and yes, me) are having a blast! But, our old Skylanders look incredible! Great job.

Xater

The game itself is so much better than the previous games and it looks a hell of a lot better than them too. I like what they did with the game, worlds are a lot bigger by a long shot and there is a lot of "collecting" to do in the game and unlocks, which for me is a big plus.

I am curious how much better the PS4/Xbox One versions are going to be. I am hoping for true 1080p/60fps with some good AA.

Not sure right now about the resolution but I can tell you right now that the next gen version only runs at 30fps. Specifically asked about that at Gamescom.

So this is what I've picked up:

1377629_10101928079884314_391990835_n.jpg

- Dark Bundle
- Regular Bundle
- 3DS Bundle
- Lightcore Grim Creeper
- Lightcore Warnado
- Lightcore Flashwing
- Lightcore Star Strike
- Lightcore Smolderdash
- Legendary Grim Creeper
- Legendary Free Ranger
- Magna Charge
- Hoot Loop
- Zoo Lou
- Countdown
- Roller Brawl
- Lava Barf Eruptor
- Slobber Tooth
- Blizzard Chill
- Nitro Magna Charge + Free Ranger
- Nitro Magna Charge + Rattle Shake
- Fiery Forge Battle Pack
- Tower of Time Adventure Pack

zebwinz

I'm really appreciating the integration with older characters. It sucked in Giants that Series 1 characters didn't count towards your in game collection. In Swap Force, if you have say any Hex, she counts towards completing the collection challenges/bonuses. Its also nice that the older figures have their own in game quests.

So this is what I've picked up:

- Dark Bundle
- Regular Bundle
- 3DS Bundle
- Lightcore Grim Creeper
- Lightcore Warnado
- Lightcore Flashwing
- Lightcore Star Strike
- Lightcore Smolderdash
- Legendary Grim Creeper
- Legendary Free Ranger
- Magna Charge
- Hoot Loop
- Zoo Lou
- Countdown
- Roller Brawl
- Lava Barf Eruptor
- Slobber Tooth
- Blizzard Chill
- Nitro Magna Charge + Free Ranger
- Nitro Magna Charge + Rattle Shake
- Fiery Forge Battle Pack
- Tower of Time Adventure Pack

Nice pick-up!

Is that all that is available right now? What itens belongs to wave 1? It seems that is harder to follow SwapForce launch than previous games...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
My daughter will get this for Christmas as she really liked Giants. I picked up roller brawl having a hunch she may be hard to find later.

Lan_97

I ordered the 3DS and PS4 versions along with the adventure and battle pack. The month long wait for the PS4 version will be unfortunate.

Can anyone comment on their impressions of the chars you have to buy (vs ones in starter kit)

Particularly interested in bumble blast, popthorn and grim creeper.

Dragoshi1

Only got the Dark Edition, but I still have my countless others from SA and Giants. Only guy I want is Popthorn and Fire Kraken.

bumpkin

I played the first two games a ton on 360, but I can't in good conscience invest in the 360 version this time around with the PS4 and XB1 on the horizon. Gotta think 'bout the future!

Of course the joke will be on me if Swap Force doesn't perform well and there's no further sequels.

Weenerz

Banned
I have never played any of these titles before, but watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look really sold me on it. Depending on how expensive the PS4 launch will be, I will most likely pick this up.

zebwinz

Can anyone comment on their impressions of the chars you have to buy (vs ones in starter kit)

Particularly interested in bumble blast, popthorn and grim creeper.
Of those three, I only bought Popthorn because he comes with the Adventure pack. I've only played him for a little bit but I like him so far. His normal mode has him puffed up and the X button shoots out homing thorns at enemies. He moves really slow like this but his animation is great. Pushing B makes him blow out all his air and he shrinks down. He moves faster like this and the B button shoots out puffs of air - X button will puff him right back up. I haven't made it far enough yet to check out any upgrades though.

Of those three, I only bought Popthorn because he comes with the Adventure pack. I've only played him for a little bit but I like him so far. His normal mode has him puffed up and the X button shoots out homing thorns at enemies. He moves really slow like this but his animation is great. Pushing B makes him blow out all his air and he shrinks down. He moves faster like this and the B button shoots out puffs of air - X button will puff him right back up. I haven't made it far enough yet to check out any upgrades though.

ah thanks, did u try the diamond thats in the pack? Does a diamond come down that gives you money?

Hawk269

Heads up!!!

Just got a call from a friend that works for TRU. On Wednesday, (this Wednesday) they will be releasing Wave 2 of Swap Force Characters. There is 3-4 Swap Characters and about 6 older characters in new poses. He said that TRU will be the first retailer to have these new characters. With the Buy 1 get 1 40% off, lot's of savings.

Heads up!!!

Just got a call from a friend that works for TRU. On Wednesday, (this Wednesday) they will be releasing Wave 2 of Swap Force Characters. There is 3-4 Swap Characters and about 6 older characters in new poses. He said that TRU will be the first retailer to have these new characters. With the Buy 1 get 1 40% off, lot's of savings.

Holy crap that's fast.

zebwinz

ah thanks, did u try the diamond thats in the pack? Does a diamond come down that gives you money?

It makes your character sparkle but I'm gonna guess that it gives you extra money when you pick up drops, not an instant money bonus. The hammer puts a giant hammer over the character's head that smashing any enemies that come close.

Thinking about picking this up. Really like the collecting aspect of Disney Infinity and while I probably wouldn't go 100% with this, the actual game looks better.

Hawk269

It is fast but it stinks when you go through the first level and there is one gated-off area that can't be accessed yet. It requires a digging based Swap character, Rubble Rouser or Grilla Drilla, neither of which have been released yet.

Grilla Drilla is one of the ones being released at TRU on Wednesday. Over the phone, it seems we will have every element except for earth. Which is kind of stupid because there is a earth/leaf door that even when they release these new figures on Wednesday we can't access since the ones coming out on Wednesday does not include a earth element swap character.

Wow, I thought the new figures were a rip off with the higher price but I was impressed at the build quality. They snap apart and together very solidly thanks to the magnets. Picked up the Legendary Grim Creeper and Legendary Free Ranger at toysrus with the 40% deal.

Top Bottom