• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

legacyzero

Banned
I think I was getting 30-60 fps at night with 1280x800, normal/low settings, on my e8400 and 5850. I turned off ingame vsync and used D3DOverrider for triple buffering and vsync.

The game looks so much better in the daytime from that helicopter video though, and I'm hoping my PC will look somewhat similar. I'm honestly kind of worried about getting eyestrain playing on night servers. I posted my screenshot and people said the gamma was too high? It'd be almost literally impossible to see if it was turned way down, not to mention putting you at a disadvantage to zombies and bandits. :p

I cranked my gamma too. It helps things glow a bit more. It's needed, trust me LOL

bengraven

I really hope they don't get too in depth with features. Survival with bare minimum loot needs to be the focus.

I don't want to see in depth leveling, OP loot, etc. Kind of like EatChildren said a couple of pages ago: you'd have some high level bandits protecting their little castle while they gank all the lvl 1s running around within five minutes of those lvl 1s joining the game.

They just need to make the shooting and rep system fun and that will be enough incentive to keep playing. I wouldn't want an end goal. That kind of stuff ruined Minecraft for me a bit.

fanboi

Banned
Someone mentioned leading a crowd of zombies into a crowd of humans. Is that even possible (for them to change their minds and attack other humans), or are the zombies just locked onto the chase forever until they're dead or a smoke bomb/fresh corpse appears nearby?

I did this, and I got away... and I saw one of them getting eaten :D

raphier

Banned
I really hope they don't get too in depth with features. Survival with bare minimum loot needs to be the focus.

I don't want to see in depth leveling, OP loot, etc. Kind of like EatChildren said a couple of pages ago: you'd have some high level bandits protecting their little castle while they gank all the lvl 1s running around within five minutes of those lvl 1s joining the game.

They just need to make the shooting and rep system fun and that will be enough incentive to keep playing. I wouldn't want an end goal. That kind of stuff ruined Minecraft for me a bit.

uh uh shooting system will not change unless they change the base.The thing with current system is that while it's awesome, it will get stale in two weeks period. There needs to be more content and something to make even more interesting experiences. I am obviously not saying there needs to be more to loot, but there needs to be.

randomwab

I just checked my debit card...£15. The pack for ARMA II and Operation Arrow is £25.

~breaks down in tears~

If anyone happens to have a spare Steam key or pass or whatever for ARMA II, I would be eternally grateful.

Forsete

Gold Member
Dear Racist GAF.

How does one play as a team? For example, let me illustrate:
My bro: STEAM version
Myself: Vanilla downloaded straight from BI's website.

Can we party up beforehand and join the same sërvër, or is it just pure luck if we happen to join the same server "YES, I AM IN D@RK$L@Y€R @$$@$$1NZ 1337 [SWE], JOIN QUCIKLY.. NO THAT IS D and a AT, you know as in the e-mail AT.. oh, server full. :(" and spawn in the same location?

Slair

I'm seriously fucking dying to try this mod.

Where can I get the best deal on arma2

ugh@being broke

edit: I know this has been asked over and over but I'm unable to do any searching. Is ARMA2 Plus ARMA2: OA needed?

wait a second.. it's not possible to play using the f2p model is it?

http://www.arma2.com/free

according to this you can combine the f2p with a bought OA: http://i.imgur.com/iEVhF.jpg - thanks to lactose_intolerant up there for the link

Cramoss

I'm seriously fucking dying to try this mod.

Where can I get the best deal on arma2

ugh@being broke

edit: I know this has been asked over and over but I'm unable to do any searching. Is ARMA2 Plus ARMA2: OA needed?

wait a second.. it's not possible to play using the f2p model is it?

http://www.arma2.com/free

I heard the Free version has some problems running the mod. I'm not sure though.

Pretty sure you can use free Arma 2, but it'll have low res textures for pretty much everything, IIRC.

Also, playing as a Bandit is awesome. Jumping on EU5 now.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dear Racist GAF.

How does one play as a team? For example, let me illustrate:
My bro: STEAM version
Myself: Vanilla downloaded straight from BI's website.

Can we party up beforehand and join the same sërvër, or is it just pure luck if we happen to join the same server "YES, I AM IN D@RK$L@Y€R @$$@$$1NZ 1337 [SWE], JOIN QUCIKLY.. NO THAT IS D and a AT, you know as in the e-mail AT.. oh, server full. :(" and spawn in the same location?

what?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm guessing it's a joke about people being biased against the undead legions?

And regarding playing with your friends, you would both need to get on the same server (you will need to keep pressing enter or clicking join on most servers since they all tend to be full), but it's pretty easy to identify since they're called things like "UK5" or "US2". Then you will both spawn in random places near the coast, apparently pointed out by that map. It will then be pitch black, and you will likely be eaten by a grue.

(you will need to try to walk until you find a road, then a sign/city, and try to meet your friend by checking the map image and following landmarks)

Does ArmA 2 support 5.1 Surround sound? It doesn't seem to work on my system which is running HDMI from the computer to the receiver to the TV.

Blizzard

Banned
man how long does this death screen take?
Forever until you press escape, select abort (for whatever reason), then select disconnect (which apparently doesn't ACTUALLY disconnect you from the server unless you also press disconnect on the next screen), then press some sort of start or join or respawn button.

If you want to kill yourself, respawn will do it but not actually respawn you (so you have to go through the steps above), and I don't think restart does anything.

oktarb

Permadeath is tough concept to push.

I love the concept, it instills fear and importance but also can suck in the reality of the moment. When you spend 30 hours with a character and they he gets popped in the back of the head by an 8 year old who just logged in you have a very hard time smiling for awhile.

I think that permadeath still needs to create some kind of connection to your next character. Here are some ideas:

1. Hereditary item. You can pick one item to pass down to your new character. The longer your character lives the more items or quality of items you can pass-down increases.
2. Bury Stashes - you new character has a map to go find the gear but other people can see the buried stash if they stumble upon it.
3. Family Renown - points are earned for good and bad actions. If you want you can create a new character under your family tree that carries some of that renown over.
4. Friends of the Fallen: Start your character near friends so they can help protect and gear you.

Oh god, that's brilliant! I love the swerving and I imagined the guy would be shouting "WHEEEE!" When you get off the bike and the zombies lose interest it gives the impression they were just happy about someone riding a bike.

The game really does need bicycles just so you can do a web series of you riding around surviving the apocalypse with sheer determination and hope.

Gowans

Plan is for me to be on for a good few hours in 20mins, wana try n get a GAF group into a 50player server?

Might be painful tho.

Nemic77

Using this in conjunction with the following Loot Sheet can help as well - http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html.

Also, here's a map of fuel tanks that can fill up Jerry Cans (for those of us looking to get a vehicle going :D) - map

Yep yep.

Damn, just look at Berezino... My longest surviving character died there this morning. The place was just a nightmare to navigate. Zombies everywhere, especially inside buildings. I had just made my way there with full health and good guns from looting both airstrips and I still got wore down. I didn't even make it to center of the city itself...

The 3-4 story buildings on North Berezino have great loot if everyone is wondering.

Forsete

Gold Member
I'm guessing it's a joke about people being biased against the undead legions?

And regarding playing with your friends, you would both need to get on the same server (you will need to keep pressing enter or clicking join on most servers since they all tend to be full), but it's pretty easy to identify since they're called things like "UK5" or "US2". Then you will both spawn in random places near the coast, apparently pointed out by that map. It will then be pitch black, and you will likely be eaten by a grue.

(you will need to try to walk until you find a road, then a sign/city, and try to meet your friend by checking the map image and following landmarks)

Yes it was a joke! :p

And thanks! Weekend here I COME.

In that image link with instructions, it says to make an Addons folder within the @DayZ folder and then to extract all the files into "this" folder. Do they mean the @DayZ one or the Addons one? Thanks

Top Bottom