• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

legacyzero

Banned
So I was just looting a house... alot of zeds outside... then all of a fucking suddend... with radio static:

DEAR GOD WHAT WAS THAT GROWLING SOUND

I mean, it was LOOOUD, and not Zombie sound... more like... a monster.

HOLD ME

image.php

I joined the Steam group yesterday, hopefully I'll be able to play with some others this weekend. I've barely had time to play this, and it's fun going solo but it looks so much better as a group.

soultron

Banned
Oh DICE why did you forsake the mod community, can you imagine a frostbite 2 version of Day Z :O

I think this game was much easier to make using Arma 2's engine because, from what I can tell (not having played Arma, but have watched lots), it's removing more than it's actually adding. The inventory management systems look like they already exist within Arma 2, the map is the same from Arma 2, and it seems that most of the weapons are from Arma 2 or the add-ons.

This was made by one guy. He probably did whatever modelling or reskinning (zombies with blood on them) was required, recorded or sourced sound effects, set up the server-side stuff, and did a shittonne of tweaking to the code/scripting.

I don't think this would be possible with Frostbite 2.0 because there aren't really any existing games that use it in the same way that Arma 2 does with the BIS engine. He'd have to add inventory management, proximity-based voice chat, tweak stuff like draw distances, and so on with Frostbite 2.0 in order to make a comparative experience. It'd be nice to see, but I think this works as a great proof of concept, if anything.

I don't even want to think of how much it'd cost to purchase licensing required to use Frostbite 2.0...

MasLegio

Banned
why use tents when they have thousands of houses that players could occupy and barricade. They should add the possibility to break into (with toolbox) and occupy houses and then barricade it.

raphier

Banned
why use tents when they have thousands of houses that players could occupy and barricade. They should add the possibility to break into (with toolbox) and occupy houses and then barricade it.

IMPOSSIBLE. Only 1/100 of houses are enterable and the doors are part of map logic. no can do as you are looking to make the framerate drop half it is now and most players can't afford that.

Well Knives get a free pass... but you...
:(

Wow, this thread really exploded since last Thurs/Fri when it was 5-6 pages. I was busy all weekend, but just got it all installed and ready to go last night.

I'll be joining the Steam group and will be trying it out tonight, hopefully.

You were kicked. "BattleEye: Client Not Responding"

I get this every single time, straight after a black screen with 'loading', which in turn comes straight after everything seems to be working (although the message about waiting to create a character or something comes up as well)

Please, someone tell me what the fuck to do.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I get this every single time, straight after a black screen with 'loading', which in turn comes straight after everything seems to be working (although the message about waiting to create a character or something comes up as well)

Please, someone tell me what the fuck to do.

Do you have the Battleye folder in your Arma 2 and OA directories?

If not try making one and put the DLLs linked to below in them
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthre...-Failed-quot&p=1700827&viewfull=1#post1700827

J-Rock

Banned
I wonder if this could be a hit if turned into a full retail product. With the popularity of stuff like The Walking Dead it seems that there could be a market for it. How many of you guys would buy a full retail version of this game? Full of polish and quality servers. I wonder how well a console version would sell too.

Arucardo

Phew, that was good times with Rygar 8 Bit, PrematureQuiche, KKRT and Michal. We survived for ages and I think Rygar and Quiche are still going, heh.

MJLord

I wonder if this could be a hit if turned into a full retail product. With the popularity of stuff like The Walking Dead it seems that there could be a market for it. How many of you guys would buy a full retail version of this game? Full of polish and quality servers. I wonder how well a console version would sell too.

I would for sure, I love playing Coop like this with my buddies. We're still finding stuff to do on GTA for christs sake xD

Downloading Arma now !! :D

Do you have the Battleye folder in your Arma 2 and OA directories?

If not try making one and put the DLLs linked to below in them
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthre...-Failed-quot&p=1700827&viewfull=1#post1700827

I did this, and it definitely seemed to make it better, but I still got to the stage where the 'receiving' bar was around 90% full, and then suddenly it says that every player was disconnected, puts me on a loading screen and then kicks me, mentioning BattlEye every time.

Blizzard

Banned
I did this, and it definitely seemed to make it better, but I still got to the stage where the 'receiving' bar was around 90% full, and then suddenly it says that every player was disconnected, puts me on a loading screen and then kicks me, mentioning BattlEye every time.
I ran a .exe installer from the bistudio site (I think I linked it somewhere in this thread) and had no problems without having to manually install any DLLs. I was using the Steam combined operations games.

It might be a server issue too. I saw one or two servers using a different DayZ version, for instance.

Arucardo

Jesus, I looked at the clock and we played 7 or 8 hours straight with Rygar 8 Bit and PrematureQuiche and those two are still going. Had to stop myself since I need to wake up in 6 hours for a 2 hour drive to school.

I'd totally be up for contributing to a UK/EU GAF server.
You can count me in too if it's not an outrageous sum.

demolitio

You missed the reply to your post that let you know the guy works for the developers.

He should lead a small team of devs for the studio that focuses on unique things like this that will get people to buy ArmA 3. You can really get a lot of sales by adding variety that appeals to different groups just like DayZ. A lot of people don't like ArmA 2's gameplay since it's more realistic and a lot slower, but people love this zombie idea and now the game is selling well again.

I could see this as an official part of ArmA 3, DLC or not. BIS has always added some crazy shit for the sandbox mode that don't follow the realism but just focus on fun, so imagine if they expanded that idea to big concepts like this.

Enco

The Criken stream is amazing.

It really is like a movie. I haven't seen it all but from what I've seen it keeps getting better and better. The ending scene is a great finale and you'll feel constant tension. Just like a brilliant movie.

Just skip the first hour or so.

MNC

Can anyone confirm in the performance increase with full Arma/Operation Arrowhead? Arma 2 free doesn't run that nice, it goes like 20fps :(

aww yeah first page for 100 ppp

Top Bottom