• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

n0n44m

so that was pretty fun, and I liked that the server was still in daylight despite being EU

but damn finding people and meeting up is hard haha, took me almost an hour to finally find someone

and the teleporting zombies due to server desyncs at the end were somewhat annoying, wasted much more rounds than necessary

i spent 20 minutes trying to convince people in the room to meet me at the airfield! the radio control tower had an M4 but nobody wanted to come.. lol some jackass was reading my directions and when i stood up i was being shot at in multiple directions

this game would be much more interesting if

- if it had an NPC that sold limited survivalist gear - crossbow, etc for cans of food..
- if some of the towns has survivors holding up / safe havens (for a limited time obviously) these locations would change based on zombie over run

ScRYeD

I launch from "Play Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead" instead of the launch combined op option. If i try through launch combined ops it opens a command prompt and closes. Launching through the play option works perfect though, for me.

Don't you also have to select expansion once you started the game and select @DayZ. I have to do it every time a start the game.

Don't you also have to select expansion once you started the game and select @DayZ. I have to do it every time a start the game.

If you're using Steam, right click Operation Arrowhead and go to Properties. Click Launch Options and add "-mod=@dayz" (without quotes). You'll have to remove that if you want to play vanilla.

ScRYeD

If you're using Steam, right click Operation Arrowhead and go to Properties. Click Launch Options and add "-mod=@dayz" (without quotes). You'll have to remove that if you want to play vanilla.
I know what I did wrong, instead of just selecting play game I selected the play combined assault. Silly me.

Blizzard

Banned
Watched some videos (AWESOME), downloaded ARMA II Free to see how possible it would be to run that thing on my lame PC, found out that

- on lowest settings the speed is tolerable, the details not so much, might be a disadvantage
- I suck incredibly and the interface is not helping
- the game definitely is not supposed to be played in singleplayer (AI too dumb for this kind of game)

Now what to do. I could just buy the entire 50 dollar pack and hope I get better in time, or wait until it gets cheaper to lower the potential loss if I don't.
I'd say hold off if you're not sure, but the combined operations pack is only $30 USD, not $50.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Had a trip from Kamenka to the NW airfield. Alone. At night. It was pretty cool stuff. Read from bottom to top.

p6jQQ.png

Donos

Letting the Criken stream roll for almost 1 1/2 hours and it's hilarious. One guy has this histericle screaming voice and is overdoing everything. I laughed my ass of so many times.

Blizzard

Banned
Would it be wrong of me to start calling this a GOTY contender?? THIS SHIT IS THAT GOOD.
My own prediction is that it will taper off after reaching a certain level of popularity unless it becomes a more complete/official release, or unless more content continues to be added. Otherwise it seems like to me it would suffer the Minecraft symptom of becoming boring for some people without ingame goals (both "pure" sandbox games in that aspect for a long time). Minecraft had additional content added over time, plus there were things people could build there for lasting environments. Unless some sort of progression/construction elements like tents and barricades show up, I'm not sure it will have lasting appeal.

But that's just a cynical view! Hopefully I'm wrong and it will improve and be awesome. :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
lol, Arma climbing those steam charts.

Yeah hopefully they go full-on with updates now seeing the popularity. If they dont continue to evolve the game it will probably start to lose popularity once the novelty wears off.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I think that a lot of the buzz is also coming from this weird streaming culture thing (along the lines of YouTube LPs). The dudes taking part in that have a really short attention span though. Not sure if this mod can keep this level of interest up for months if it stays as barebone as it is right now. We'll see.

The M.O.B

David Foltyn ‏ @FoltynD

ARMA 2: Combined Operations just hit TOP5 sellers on @STEAM_games congrats to thousands new players in #DayZ mod, thanks to mod @dayzdevteam

They congratulated em.....now how bout giving them a cut of teh monies?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well it is in alpha and the lead Dev has tasked about lots of features they plan to add like some form of skills and lots of refinements.

It's not like they cooked this up and haven't touched it, they're updating it almost daily with fixes and little additions.

Plus since the lead Dev works for BIS and this mod has rocketed Arma sales there's a decent chance they'll take the mod full scale.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Omg we need a standalone version of this!

Specific animations for all players/npcs, sounds gameplay elements! etc etc etc

This is crazy

Phandy

A guy with an assault rifle and NVGs just killed our group a few times, me Alumnus and Ikuu. He was killing a lot of other people too, and I mean A LOT. Hanging around the hills around elektro, he's clearly heavily armed.

So I decide I'll respawn try out some sneaky sneaky and get him.
1st go; get behind him way up in the hills, then by pure chance he checks behind him and can just spot me behind a tree. Takes a shot that I dodge, and precede to roll down the hill to my side.
He got a lucky headshot through a bunch of bushes. Instantly dead. Mad Levels; 'pretty bad'

2nd go; I'm back to the same place, but hes moved on. I'm patient. I waited about 15 minutes until he started firing his rifle again. So I sllooowllly close in on his position, hes on the track of someone else who I can also see down the hill. So I follow him, slightly above and behind him as he tries to kill the other guy, his fire and concentration cover my approach. Eventually I get up close behind him, but I need a good clean shot, I only have my starting Makarov. After a few minutes of following him, I get on a small ridge about 20ft behind him, he takes another shot at the guy, so I descend the hill and close the gap to 10ft.

I have literally never had my heart pound like this before in a game.

I unload a WHOLE makarov mag into his back.........
He spins around and kills me in 1-2 hits of his rifle as I fire the last bullet. Didn't even knock him down. Nothing. DIDN'T' EVEN. KNOCK. HIM. DOWN.

Mad levels; 'Uninstalling Arma2'

Honestly if they haven't given this guy a raise and a budget for a standalone release they are allergic.to money.

At the very least a 128 player per server steam and next console gen release.

Also please make speaking in game alert zombies...

King_Moc

Banned
Well, my PC upgrade is complete and i can finally run ArmA II properly. Just ordered Operation Arrowhead, so will try this out as soon as is humanly possible.

Sibylus

Banned
I've never seen a mod with this much potential. Oh and screw leaving it as mod or some kind of official DLC. Make it a full retail product and create a new franchise because it could make MILLIONS. The market wants this type of game right now.

Kind of funny to see it above The Walking Dead.
It's things like these that definitely endear me to the modding community, risky projects that come out of the blue and tap into a something a lot of people are craving. I neeeed to play this :[

legacyzero

Banned
I think as Gaffers, we should all make a pact.

We should all put [GAF] in our player names (in ArmaII) and vow never to kill another Gaffer LOL (intentionally) unless on an (inevitable) GAF server.

..Just talking bullshit.

Blizzard

Banned
A guy with an assault rifle and NVGs just killed our group a few times, me Alumnus and Ikuu. He was killing a lot of other people too, and I mean A LOT. Hanging around the hills around elektro, he's clearly heavily armed.

So I decide I'll respawn try out some sneaky sneaky and get him.
1st go; get behind him way up in the hills, then by pure chance he checks behind him and can just spot me behind a tree. Takes a shot that I dodge, and precede to roll down the hill to my side.
He got a lucky headshot through a bunch of bushes. Instantly dead. Mad Levels; 'pretty bad'

2nd go; I'm back to the same place, but hes moved on. I'm patient. I waited about 15 minutes until he started firing his rifle again. So I sllooowllly close in on his position, hes on the track of someone else who I can also see down the hill. So I follow him, slightly above and behind him as he tries to kill the other guy, his fire and concentration cover my approach. Eventually I get up close behind him, but I need a good clean shot, I only have my starting Makarov. After a few minutes of following him, I get on a small ridge about 20ft behind him, he takes another shot at the guy, so I descend the hill and close the gap to 10ft.

I have literally never had my heart pound like this before in a game.

I unload a WHOLE makarov mag into his back.........
He spins around and kills me in 1-2 hits of his rifle as I fire the last bullet. Didn't even knock him down. Nothing. DIDN'T' EVEN. KNOCK. HIM. DOWN.

Mad levels; 'Uninstalling Arma2'
Are you ever playing again? =(

Also, how many Makarov bullets does it take to injure a human? Maybe if they were headshots?

I think as Gaffers, we should all make a pact.

We should all put [GAF] in our player names (in ArmaII) and vow never to kill another Gaffer LOL (intentionally) unless on an (inevitable) GAF server.

..Just talking bullshit.

Speaking of names, how does one change names in ARMA?

Top Bottom