• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

First day playing DayZ and already had a great experience.

Met up with a friendly and we adventured on. Met with another person and ended up being a bandit. We both didn't truly trust him even though he claimed to be nice. We traveled together for about 10 minutes then we booked out of there. Didn't quite trust the guy, and didn't want to risk both of our lives.

Great mod. :)

Shout out to Velyse for helping me and sending a copy of DOTA 2 my way.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I caved and bought CO, despite there being a way to run the free Arma II demo with Operation Arrowhead. No doubt by the time both have finished downloading it will be time for work.

wwm0nkey

My god, I found a city and decided to explore, the entire city is fucking empty and there is a lot of evidence pointing to bandits. I heard a helicopter take off before I entered and there is not a single zombie or anything on the ground. I walk up too a repair shop (I think?) and an entire fucking team of like 8 guys were killed and stripped off a large majority of items. the only thing I managed to find off them was a pepsi and 2 Markov rounds.

Those bandits are the real fucking deal.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
My god, I found a city and decided to explore, the entire city is fucking empty and there is a lot of evidence pointing to bandits. I heard a helicopter take off before I entered and there is not a single zombie or anything on the ground. I walk up too a repair shop (I think?) and an entire fucking team of like 8 guys were killed and stripped off a large majority of items. the only thing I managed to find off them was a pepsi and 2 Markov rounds.

This is what makes the game so amazing. I would gladly accept my death at the hands of a heli bandit squad. My god that would so frightening and intense walking through town and hearing a heli above and you know, no kind and friendly soul scavanged all the shit necessary to fix that thing is about to come down.

legacyzero

Banned
Well. Now that I know every FUCKING inch of this map from being lost with Horsebite for about 3 hours....

....Now I'm ready to play this game fo REALZ.

owlbeak

Spent two whole hours going the wrong direction and getting killed, all while trying to meet up with GAF. Finally succeeded. Had a great time. :D

This is what makes the game so amazing. I would gladly accept my death at the hands of a heli bandit squad. My god that would so frightening and intense walking through town and hearing a heli above and you know, no kind and friendly soul scavanged all the shit necessary to fix that thing is about to come down.

Someone found a rocket launcher earlier on one of the streams. I want to see someone shoot down the helicopter.

Blizzard

Banned
Got a lot of zombies on your ass? Just disconnect back into the lobby and click ok to connect, you will respawn and no more zombies.
I figured something like that might work, but I figured it was also cheating. =P

And the first like two hours were spent holding down W and trying to run into town, only to discover doors that don't open or whatever, and apparently have my legs broken by some zombie despite being able to outrun a horde of 9 zombies for 30 minutes with hurt legs.

It is a serious mess trying to even find one other person, since even a Balota to Cherno run takes like 20-30 minutes. Thankfully someone eventually turned on a chemlight and we didn't have bandits near us, so we had some semblance of follow the leader. It's even worse on the nighttime hardcore servers since you can't see anyone's name, and mumble is a constant stream of "who's staring at me" "wtf who just ran off" "who is this random person, we have 4 and this is 5, need to do a headcount".

I have a horrible time aiming with ironsights and no crosshairs and trying to kill hoppers...any tricks? One good deed for GAF of the day, some Joel person was a bandit being chased by zombies, and some GAF person with a rifle finished him off.

One thing I REALLY need to learn is using a backpack. I tried to take ammo out of my backpack, and it apparently just deleted 3-4 ammo clips. They didn't go into my main inventory, didn't drop on the ground, just vanished as far as I could tell. =(

Gen X

Imagine if they were playing Ride of the Valkyries!

And for those select few who don't know what I am talking about..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3Cc7wlfkI&feature=player_detailpage#t=101s

WedgeX

Banned
Oh gosh that was the best. Started off Nix and I. Trying to find each other across the vasts. Across railroad tracks, power lines, beaches, roads, vast cities. Soon five of us formed a group. We awaited the arrival of other gaffers. What ensued was gathering supplies, attempting to stage rescues. Getting swarmed by zombies from those rescues. Getting murdered randomly. A call went out. We searched once more. Each of us trickling in from the wilderness. Eventually many gaffers were gathered. Ventured out together, following chem lights. Watched bandits die.

Ready for tomorrow.

I figured something like that might work, but I figured it was also cheating. =P

And the first like two hours were spent holding down W and trying to run into town, only to discover doors that don't open or whatever, and apparently have my legs broken by some zombie despite being able to outrun a horde of 9 zombies for 30 minutes with hurt legs.

It is a serious mess trying to even find one other person, since even a Balota to Cherno run takes like 20-30 minutes. Thankfully someone eventually turned on a chemlight and we didn't have bandits near us, so we had some semblance of follow the leader. It's even worse on the nighttime hardcore servers since you can't see anyone's name, and mumble is a constant stream of "who's staring at me" "wtf who just ran off" "who is this random person, we have 4 and this is 5, need to do a headcount".

I have a horrible time aiming with ironsights and no crosshairs and trying to kill hoppers...any tricks? One good deed for GAF of the day, some Joel person was a bandit being chased by zombies, and some GAF person with a rifle finished him off.

One thing I REALLY need to learn is using a backpack. I tried to take ammo out of my backpack, and it apparently just deleted 3-4 ammo clips. They didn't go into my main inventory, didn't drop on the ground, just vanished as far as I could tell. =(

I love my rifle.

Sorry to be a broken record but next GAF meet up there needs to be some clarification on Mumble servers and the like :p - I was unsuccessful, that thread linked didn't help; maybe I missed it.

I was close to meeting up with a few people I think but then I died. Maybe tomorrow!

Had fun listening to the gaf groups exploits on Mumble tonight. Tried for a few hours to reach the group, only to be killed by a random dude that had been running with me for 10 minutes. I was so close, too!

owlbeak

Yeah.. Like at the VERY END LOLOL
Lololol. I couldn't have cut it any closer! I was actually waiting for you guys where we ended up stopping, but I thought you were in a small group of buildings to my left. By the time I got there, you guys were back where I was originally. Story of the whole night for me haha.

Edit: Also, spawning in "The Wilderness" was like a slap in the face. Got trolled so hard by this mod.

Had fun listening to the gaf groups exploits on Mumble tonight. Tried for a few hours to reach the group, only to be killed by a random dude that had been running with me for 10 minutes. I was so close, too!
That sucks a lot, but it's an awesome thing that this mod does, it allows complex personality role play in a game that isn't an RPG. Lies, deception, betrayal, it's all very much a big part of the game and something that is wholly unique.

Haunted

More exposure incoming:

jKAZs.png

WedgeX

Banned
Lololol. I couldn't have cut it any closer! I was actually waiting for you guys where we ended up stopping, but I thought you were in a small group of buildings to my left. By the time I got there, you guys were back where I was originally. Story of the whole night for me haha.

Edit: Also, spawning in "The Wilderness" was like a slap in the face. Got trolled so hard by this mod.

That was the worst. "where are you at??? ...oh....good luck...."

Blizzard

Banned
After the first wasted 1.5 hours or so, I just kept clicking respawn + abort until I got Balota, since at least that's only 20 minutes away or whatever.

owlbeak

That was the worst. "where are you at??? ...oh....good luck...."
I kept hoping "The Wilderness" was a landmark or feature so that I'd know where I was, not just a broad generalization about most of the island haha. I had the worst luck!

After the first wasted 1.5 hours or so, I just kept clicking respawn + abort until I got Balota, since at least that's only 20 minutes away or whatever.
That last spawn of mine was in Cherno, on the beach just south of it, which was surprising.

The M.O.B

I think allowing you to choose your spawn wouldn't be so bad, afterall, isn't all the good stuff inland? The vehicles, choppers, good weapons, and such.

More often than not, while it may hurt the immersion part of the game a bit, people get really annoyed when they cant spawn anywhere close to their buddies. On a hardcore server this should be turned off probably.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think allowing you to choose your spawn wouldn't be so bad, afterall, isn't all the good stuff inland? The vehicles, choppers, good weapons, and such.

More often than not, while it may hurt the immersion part of the game a bit, people get really annoyed when they cant spawn anywhere close to their buddies. On a hardcore server this should be turned off probably.

Nahh I think that would alter things way too much. One of the great things is how random your spawn is and how it affects your opening hours. If given the chance everyone would spawn near a big town or spot that has good loot to try and quick cash in and run off.

I think a better alternative would be to say make bikes semi abundant, allowing for fast travel, but while they allow you to travel much more quickly across Chernarus therye only good on paved roads, making you an easier target and victim of an ambush.

Kritz

Banned
More exposure incoming:

jKAZs.png

Man, can't wait!

Question: Does anyone else feel like they're kind of now stuck experiencing the game at the same times? With university and other things going on, I can only really log into the game world after about 5-6pm. By then, the local Australian servers are night time or super close to. Only through american servers do I even get to play day time.

I guess my question is, does anyone actually find this kind of cool instead of annoying? It kind of makes me feel experienced in the world in ways that the day-players won't get. I'm building up my skills relating to night time visibility, which won't apply at all to daytime stuff.

And also:

Jesus they need to remove global VOIP all togehter. And possibly global text, or make it require an in-game item. It's so immersion breaking to hear babies cry about being killed by a bandit, or to just see people call each other racial or homophobic slurs.

And I've said it again, but it kinda makes encountering players just that little bit more boring when you know that if you try and make a move on them, they're just going to immediately whine about it in chat to the entirety of the world. This applies both ways, as it's no fun spotting a guy that the chat has told you can't be trusted.

So I hope at some point that aspect of the game gets looked at. Hopefully it's open to change, but I don't know how Arma 2 mods handle that stuff.

Gen X

Or maybe you choose an area that you'd like to respawn and the game puts you somewhere randomly within a 15-25km radius or something.

I can't wait for my first game, not knowing what to do, where to go, sneaking everywhere. I'm imagining some epic crawling sections in the bush like back in the OF days.

No trackers are going to track me. ;^)

Yeah, if you get the option to spawn, make it so it's still random somewhere. The last thing we need are people who camp spawns to steal starter items.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I guess my question is, does anyone actually find this kind of cool instead of annoying? It kind of makes me feel experienced in the world in ways that the day-players won't get. I'm building up my skills relating to night time visibility, which won't apply at all to daytime stuff.

I like and dislike the real time system. Its novel and unique but at the same time I think it will ultimately hamper the game. I think it would be better to have each game day last only 8 real world hours. The days would still be long, but not terribly so.

The reason why I think its detrimental is the fact that it forces places to migrate to various servers in order to experience varios times of day in the game. Its no fun to always play in the dark or in the light, but thats in direct contrast to cultivating a quality group or server based community

This may really become a problem once they introduce more persistant server enhancements and other features to aid in player cooperation/grouping. It will become detrimental to creating quality server communities if a number of players can only play at a certain time, like you, and thus are stuck playing at night, or day, everytime they log in. And while they can just go on to another server to experience the oppostie time, it weakens their motivation and investment in trying to establish themselves on a specific server because whats the point of creating a stronghold or encampment if youll only see it at night and only play on the server half the time at best.

Kritz

Banned
I bet I can see a situation where server hosts will create reversed server times. So you'll have the normal Australians server, and then an Australian server with the clock moved forward 12 hours. Then just jumping between those two at will.

That is, if the day night cycle stays the same.

Damn, moments like this is what differentiates this mod from *every* other game out there.

R1CHO

Jesus they need to remove global VOIP all togehter. And possibly global text, or make it require an in-game item. It's so immersion breaking to hear babies cry about being killed by a bandit, or to just see people call each other racial or homophobic slurs.

This. And if possible they should also remove all the connection messages and server crap, leave just the local chat.

MGHA

Told this story to a couple of guys on mumble but what the heck

I was raiding a small farm near Pusta. I was there for a good 30-40 minutes distracting zombies with my tin cans. Found some arrows for my crossbow and another mag for my 1911.
Afterwards I began to head west; Through the forest. I had gone maybe a mile from the farm when a thought clouded my mind; "Someone is following you."

So I went prone and crawled under a tree and thought I'd wait 2 minutes. I waited about 20 seconds and sure enough I hear crunching of the forest floor. Foot steps, I was right! A survivor stalking me; a bandit. he stopped right in front of me. Im sure he was contemplating where I had gone. While he stood there. I was deciding what to do. let him pass? Go the other direction, back to the farm?

Im not your average kill everyone on sight bandit. But you got to agree with me here. This guy was asking for it right? Following me in the middle of the night. Scaring me half to death. Just then he started moving again. I lay'd there for a bit longer to see if he had a friend, but the coast was clear.

I got up and began following him. I followed him for about 20 feet and he stopped again. He was looking North West. I approached him quietly. I fired a shot into his side. He falls to the ground. He retaliates! Im shot. I follow up a shot between his eyes. I win! I was in fact in dire need of food, and he supplied me with a lot of it.

After that I thought that was something epic enough to sleep on. Until tomorrow. What an amazing game. Stalker what?

Gen X

Told this story to a couple of guys on mumble but what the heck

I was raiding a small farm near Pusta. I was there for a good 30-40 minutes distracting zombies with my tin cans. Found some arrows for my crossbow and another mag for my 1911.
Afterwards I began to head west; Through the forest. I had gone maybe a mile from the farm when a thought clouded my mind; "Someone is following you."

So I went prone and crawled under a tree and thought I'd wait 2 minutes. I waiting about 20 seconds and sure enough I hear crunching of the forest floor. Foot steps, I was right! A survivor stalking me; a bandit. he stopped right in front of me. Im sure he was contemplating where I had gone. While he stood there. I was deciding what to do. let him pass? Go the other direction, back to the farm?

Im not your average kill everyone on sight bandit. But you got to agree with me here. This guy was asking for it right? Following me in the middle of the night. Scaring me half to death. Just then he started moving again. I lay'd there for a bit longer to see if he had a friend, but the coast was clear.

I got up and began following him. I followed him for about 20 feet and he stopped again. He was looking North West. I approached him quietly. I fired a shot into his side. He falls to the ground. He retaliates! Im shot. I follow up a shot between his eyes. I win! I was in fact in dire need of food, and he supplied me with a lot of it.

After that I thought that was something epic enough to sleep on. Until tomorrow. What an amazing game. Stalker what?

This is exactly the sort of scenario I was imagining when I made my post up about about being tracked. Fuck yea, I was grinning when I read that you went prone and waited. Awesome.

fanboi

Banned
Was playing yesterday... here is my story.

Was walking around in Electro I belive it was, all alone, well beside the zombies.

Found this huge industrial area, which I started searching and looking for loot, all this time I could hear shooting in the distance from all directions somehow.

Anyway, I continued to crawl around and got to this construction site in this industrial complex, which was very spooky at night. I had this tingeling feeling I was watched... or followed or something.

So I stood still... And I could hear someone zooming with a sniper rifle (not sure if its possible to hear this but damn), and I freezed. Couldn't find anyone, but I keept hearing someone shooting and zooming.

So I sneaked away to this abandon house... just when I came to the house SOME FUCKER ON VOICECHAT PLAYS THE MOST CHILLING ANIMAL SCREAM I HAVE EVER HEARD. SHIT. MY. PANTS.

So when I panicked I lured a shitton of zombies and died.

mxgt

Banned
Dropped my pack to pick up a larger one, how exactly do I pick it up? can't see an option in the menu

I also can't pick up my original pack either, heeeeeeeelp

MNC

what specs are you using?

because i'm currently thinking of going the f2p route

i5 and 540m laptop.

the 540m does its duty @ 1366x768 for most games but arma is just taking a bit too much... The framerate hardly changes if I change resolution, for example. :/

I mean I'd gladly buy the full game if it games me better performance, but I want to know how well it would run... "Try the demo" doesn't really work as it's pretty much unoptimized garbage from what I hear.

wwm0nkey

Was just spotting with my binoculars and a guy tried to snipe me as I was heading down the ladder he almost landed 2 shots on me, found him and lit him up with a shot gun (which I have 8 rounds for)

LOVE this game.

Oh also for Nvidia users. Go to your control panel and set max prerendered frames to 8, it will improve performance.

Orgun

Haha I love it when you're running with a group and then someone speaks in the side channel by mistake. Everyone in the group drops prone, thinking it's someone talking in Direct (even though it's not working).

At work, considering taking a half day to go play MORE :)

R1CHO

Dropped my pack to pick up a larger one, how exactly do I pick it up? can't see an option in the menu

I also can't pick up my original pack either, heeeeeeeelp

Its with the action button (wheel click), but there are some problems with that kind of stuff... that problem happened to me once, i ended with two backpacks on the floor and couldnt get any...

Tesseract

Banned
shame on you if you play this game without a mic. shame.

not really, but having a mic does make it easier to communicate your intentions to local players.

Played with Beefheart for about an hour or two. With it being 0200 it is dark so meet in Elecktro with the aid of a full moon and a couple flares. Raid hospital and school. Proceed to raid the Fire Dept. Where Beefheart finds a damn AK-74! I think to myself,"lucky bastard." I find an UZI which i've never seen and we are off. Well sort of, Upon trying to lowerhimself off a ladder Beef eats it. Falls and instantly dies. He says he is done for the night so I think I should liberate that AK. So I did. And his map, and compass, and food.

Now fully stocked I decide to meet up with buddies up in Stary Sobor, which is easily 6 or 7 miles from Elecktro. I start the haul, ran about 2 1/2 miles before I realize I have NO WATER. With my water icon slowly filling up red I am in a race against time to find anything to quench this thirst that I had built. And then I see it, a small town, that I hadn't noticed on my map. Infested with zombies, I stopped counting at 15 as there was no need to worry about anymore at that point.

I crouch and make my way into town, only to find all the houses are not enterable. My bottle icon is filling up red quicker and quicker. BUT WAIT, there's a barn about a quarter mile off in the distance. Do I risk running out there and finding nothing or try and search the small town? I say, "to hell with it." I have no choice and this town wasn't doing much for me either. So in a literal mad dash for my life I get to the Barn with 6 zed on my tail. I get inside frantically searching for water. I know the zed are gonna slow once they get in the barn, I have time. Left side of the barn, 3 Winchesters + ammo, no water. I am losing hope, kill 3 zed and run to Right side of barn. Empty cans and whiskey bottles. go up another set of stairs and there it is. PEPSI and COCA COLA. Never has the dueling cans of deliciousness ever looked so good. Chug 1 can and finish of the remaining Zed. Take stock of what was in there, mostly nothing except a bit of food and the can. I wasn't giving up my AK for a wichester. Now continuing on the road to Stary Sobor. I slowly check every town for more water on my way there. Log off right outside of Stary Sobor.

TL:dr This is an experience I haven't ever had before in a game.

Top Bottom