• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I thought about posting this about 20 minutes ago. I figure that they went the Cyborg route to avoid having anyone hog Batman's spotlight.
Weĺl if they wanted someone who absolutely cannot steal spotlight from Batman in any way shape or form, they sure made the right call with Cyborg.

The talks about hounding at a box office bomb got me curious about everyone's predictions this year.

Did we have a separate thread for summer bombs? Anyways taking a look through the 2017 bomb thread, this was the approximate amount of votes:

Valerian – 36
Power Rangers – 19
Monster Trucks – 18
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage – 12
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword – 12
The Emoji Movie – 11
Ghost in the Shell – 9
Blade Runner 2049 – 4
Wonder Woman – 4
The Mummy – 4
The Dark Tower – 3
The Nut Job 2 – 3
Lego Batman – 2
Rings – 2
The Boss Baby – 2
Logan – 2
CHiPS – 1
All Eyez on Me - 1
The Great Wall – 1
Geostorm - 1
Live By Night - 1
Baywatch - 1
Despcable Me 3 - 1
Life - 1
Kong: Skull Island – 1
Dunkirk - 1
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 1
Transformers: The Last Knight - 1
Underworld: Blood Wars - 1
Baby Driver – 1
Justice League - 1
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter – 1
Jigsaw - 1
Smurfs: The Lost Village – 1
Paddington 2 - 1
The Six Billion Dollar Man – 1
Patient Zero - 1

Shaanyboi

Banned
The talks about hounding at a box office bomb got me curious about everyone's predictions this year.

Did we have a separate thread for summer bombs? Anyways taking a look through the 2017 bomb thread, this was the approximate amount of votes:

Valerian – 36
Power Rangers – 19
Monster Trucks – 18
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage – 12
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword – 12
The Emoji Movie – 11
Ghost in the Shell – 9
Blade Runner 2049 – 4
Wonder Woman – 4
The Mummy – 4
The Dark Tower – 3
The Nut Job 2 – 3
Lego Batman – 2
Rings – 2
The Boss Baby – 2
Logan – 2
CHiPS – 1
All Eyez on Me - 1
The Great Wall – 1
Geostorm - 1
Live By Night - 1
Baywatch - 1
Despcable Me 3 - 1
Life - 1
Kong: Skull Island – 1
Dunkirk - 1
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 1
Transformers: The Last Knight - 1
Underworld: Blood Wars - 1
Baby Driver – 1
Justice League - 1
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter – 1
Jigsaw - 1
Smurfs: The Lost Village – 1
Paddington 2 - 1
The Six Billion Dollar Man – 1
Patient Zero - 1
The notion that anybody thought Logan would bomb is fucking astounding.

3N16MA

Banned
iNSFH.gif

It pisses me off that because of Johns inexplicable boner for dry white toast Hal Jordan the entire world is refused a Green Lantern that isn't just automatically better in pretty much every way, but also more recognizable and more liked.

And Manhunter doesn't make the cut because when they were building this shit David Goyer's dumb ass vetoed even the idea of it out of hand.

I thought about posting this about 20 minutes ago. I figure that they went the Cyborg route to avoid having anyone hog Batman's spotlight.

They went Cyborg because that's what Johns did for New 52. As for why Johns did it? Who knows, but it was apparently his call.

And again: Goyer could have gone with Manhunter, but he believed a) Martian Manhunter was too goofy a name b) his decision to be a homicide detective was stupid and c) the only people who give a fuck about Martian Manhunter are people who "don't get laid."

So Johns is why a lesser Lantern got a movie, and then when that movie got botched, its why the better, more popular Lantern (Stewart) was unavailable for Justice League, and because of Johns choosing Cyborg for his comics reboot instead, Cyborg gets the slot, partially because that's just easier to do since there's (immediate) precedent for it, and partially because Goyer is shitting all over Jonzz as a potential character.

He's not involved with DCEU anymore right?

His involvement begins and ends, I believe, with the Krypton prequel he's got set up at SyFy.

3N16MA

Banned
They went Cyborg because that's what Johns did for New 52. As for why Johns did it? Who knows, but it was apparently his call.

And again: Goyer could have gone with Manhunter, but he believed a) Martian Manhunter was too goofy a name b) his decision to be a homicide detective was stupid and c) the only people who give a fuck about Martian Manhunter are people who "don't get laid."

So Johns is why a lesser Lantern got a movie, and then when that movie got botched, its why the better, more popular Lantern (Stewart) was unavailable for Justice League, and because of Johns choosing Cyborg for his comics reboot instead, Cyborg gets the slot, partially because that's just easier to do since there's (immediate) precedent for it, and partially because Goyer is shitting all over Jonzz as a potential character.

His involvement begins and ends, I believe, with the Krypton prequel he's got set up at SyFy.

Thanks, Goyer.

suaveric

He's also working on Green Lantern Corps as a writer I believe. But he is out of the leadership group that's running the DCEU now.

Jesus Christ

Found it.

A new rumor indicates that Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice writer David S. Goyer, who is co-writing Green Lantern Corps with Justin Rhodes, might end up directing Green Lantern Corps.

The Tracking Board reporter Jeff Sneider mentioned the Green Lantern Corps director possibility during a recent episode of Meet the Movie Press, the podcast that he co-hosts each week.

Sneider and the Tracking Board, huh?

So it's 50/50 then.

(so weird how Sneider has picked up the crown Umberto Gonzalez left behind)

Still...50/50 is still 50 too close to reality for my liking.

Do we even know which two Lanterns are in the movie yet? Last I'd heard (and I'm apparently old and out of the loop on this shit) it was gonna be Kyle & John? Maybe?

Khansolo1

Sneider and the Tracking Board, huh?

So it's 50/50 then.

(so weird how Sneider has picked up the crown Umberto Gonzalez left behind)

Still...50/50 is still 50 too close to reality for my liking.

Do we even know which two Lanterns are in the movie yet? Last I'd heard (and I'm apparently old and out of the loop on this shit) it was gonna be Kyle & John? Maybe?
What happened to Umberto?

He got a job at The Wrap, so his position as one of the last Wild West Movie Rumor Cowboys basically had to come to a close. I think he's run a couple big rumors while he's been there, but his whole thing is a lot more calmed down now.

When it was announced, Deadline reported it was Hal and John.

Warner Bros and DC are moving aggressively on a new screen version of Green Lantern. They've set David Goyer to write the script with Justin Rhodes for Green Lantern Corps, with Goyer and his Phantom Four banner producing, with DC heads Geoff Johns and Jon Berg exec producing. The new version is described as Lethal Weapon in space, and it's based on a comic book origin story. The focus will be on two characters: Hal Jordan and John Stewart. The latter is an African American Marine sniper before he joined the Lantern Corps and the story very much focuses on his relationship with Jordan and the Corps. The story was conceived by Goyer and Johns.

But it's a film in production and there are like five Earth-based Lanterns, so who knows at this point.

"Lethal Weapon in space with Hal & John" written by David Goyer.

Yeah I don't fucking want this.

(I mean, if you want Lethal Weapon in space at least pick Guy Gardner. Jesus)

For people claiming Infinity War will make more than Age of Ultron, what new audience will it attract and how?

I don't see how its going to attract a new demographic that hasn't been following the MCU at all to watch it like WW was able to.

I'm not trying to be negative just wondering what the logic is?

kswiston

It's funny that the Arrowverse and DCEU dealt with Johns' other vanilla silver age love, Barry Allen, by completely ditching his personality.

For people claiming Infinity War will make more than Age of Ultron, what new audience will it attract and how?

I don't see how its going to attract a new demographic that hasn't been following the MCU at all to watch it like WW was able to.

IiUsIa6.jpg

People like endings.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hmmm...I wonder how final Maze Runner movie will fare.

Saw the first movie on a whim this Friday and it wasn't bad for a YA film. Predictable, but some decently directed scenes.

I think The Death Cure is going to have a rough time though. 1 and 2 came out in September, this one is coming out in February against Fifty Shades and right before Black Panther. And I think Pacific Rim is that month too?

Alrus

To like endings, they need to like the trilogy first and foremost otherwisr it will be like The Hobbit trilogy which tumbled down instead of going up.

The Hobbit stayed very consistant, I don't think tumbling down is the right word for it. That description fits The Hunger Games two part finale better.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 is also by far the lowest grossing of the franchise.
And deservedly so. It's an utterly forgettable, anti-climactic bore of a movie that makes sure to stop itself before anything too cool is allowed to happen. And I thoroughly enjoyed the second, and even respected aspects of the third.

It is perhaps the most powerful example of 'blue-balls' I've maybe ever watched.

You guys should get a copy of Street Fighter V.

Then you can meet Bronson whenever and literally mop that flop up

edit: Actually, the idea of BO Gaf playing Street Fighter V more than anyone in the actual Street Fighter threads do is pretty funny

BOBBY

I have real internet now! Prepare for fightin'

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just want to chime in and say Cyborg sucks. As a guy who has been waiting his entire life for a live action Justice League movie, the fact that this movie doesn't feature the Big 7 will always burn me up inside.

Cheebo

Banned
For peeps on the fence about Valerian:

IMDB/Atom is giving you tickets for 5$ off
I feel so bad for that movie. Looks so cool but it is going up against a movie that is already being declared an all time classic and one of the best films of the 21st century in Dunkirk.

IiUsIa6.jpg

People like endings.
Except it's not an ending. That was the end of Harry Potter franchise as we knew it. Same for Thrones.
The MCU isn't ending. The Avengers isn't ending. We will have a 5, 6th, 7th , etc Avengers film. 2-3 MCU movies every year.

Avengers 4/5 isn't the finale, it isn't the end of the franchise like all of the other examples. It's just the end of one particular storyline. Everything will keep on going after.

AndyVirus

My parents haven't seen an MCU film in the cinema (but seen all up to Civil War at home so far). I'm tempted to take them. More likely the 2019 Avengers though.

Why Johns put Cyborg in N52 JL: They had been trying to spin him off for years with him leading other Titans teams, co-starring in other books etc. Johns decided to make him the public hero of the Flashpoint universe to see if people liked him in a larger role. Then the higher ups decided they should reboot the universe with Flashpoint instead of it just being a shake up to the Flash book and the rest is history.

Ithil

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 is also by far the lowest grossing of the franchise.

It is, but not because it's an ending, but because they botched Part 1 and 2 both, killing much of the franchise interest. I believe the actual book of Mockingbird was not received well either so even fan interest was lower.

Top Bottom