• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

Toa TAK

Banned
Will Americans be able to relate to British peoples conflicts? I know I dont

it'll bee hard

butt i'll try
I haven't lost it. I've found clarity and peace

image.php

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm going back and forth on whether to see Dunkirk in 70MM or Valerian in 3D

Dunkirk will probably be a better 'movie' and watching Hateful Eight in 70MM was cool too, but Nolan sucks eggs

The correct choice is a Valerian/Dunkirk double feature. I already have my tickets.

kswiston

2 weeks until my move. It looks like my new place will be a 5 min drive away from an independent theatre that only plays limited release stuff. I'm also within a 20 min drive of 6 different Cineplex Odeons, which all basically play the same 8 films.

shitting on bronson

Everyone, leave Bronson alo-

::rolls up Bronson::

NO NO NO

2 weeks until my move. It looks like my new place will be a 5 min drive away from an independent theatre that only plays limited release stuff. I'm also within a 20 min drive of 6 different Cineplex Odeons, which all basically play the same 8 films.

Ayyy, indy theaters are the bomb. The one in Philly has three locations, and they've got cool food and shit so it's worth the trek.

Now you can take the bugger to all the Minions films!

Indie theaters are great, especially for their trailer choices actually being appropriate. I always find it annoying when I watch something like, say, The Big Sick at an AMC and get a preview for The Dark Tower.

kswiston

Box office GAF is a pack of hyenas that will put aside their differences to happily feed on the corpse of a big budget flop.

I only know of one independent cinema here in London (Prince Charles Cinema) and I've never been there. They mostly show older movies, like Dune, Highlander, Scarface, Blade and Evil Dead II coming up in the next month and then have some newer releases sprinkled throughout, though they'll get them a little bit after wide release.

Funnily enough, it's a cinema chain (called Picturehouse) that gets all the good stuff like new indies, foreign films and blockbusters. Also Q&As. They're real serious about film, though. I guess they're kinda the UK equivalent of Alamo Drafthouse except they don't have as many perks.

kswiston

Man, I don't think that it's possible to pick a 20 hour drive through more nothingness in the US than the one I have to make in a couple of weeks. What's the point of having North Dakota if none of you guys want to live in it?

Man, I don't think that it's possible to pick a 20 hour drive through more nothingness in the US than the one I have to make in a couple of weeks. What's the point of having North Dakota if none of you guys want to live in it?
It just makes it less likely you will run into Bronson.

You guys should get a copy of Street Fighter V.

Then you can meet Bronson whenever and literally mop that flop up

edit: Actually, the idea of BO Gaf playing Street Fighter V more than anyone in the actual Street Fighter threads do is pretty funny

kswiston

Speaking of Estimates: I'm thinking $45M for Dunkirk this weekend, but wouldn't be surprised to see something closer to Gravity's opening.

I'll say $25M for Girls Trip and $16M for Valerian. I think that Valerian is going to suffer from having so many solid films currently in circulation. Realistically, it should be closer to $40M this weekend with the budget it carries. Anything under $30M is pretty bad.

kswiston

WB reserved June 5th, 2020 for a DC film. That has to be Wonder Woman 2, no?

They also staked out Feb 14, 2020 for DC. I can see that slot becoming a battleground if future years. Especially if Black Panther is huge.

Do we know what Dunkirk's production budget is? I did a bit of checking and couldn't find it

It should pop up in the next day or two.

WB reserved June 5th, 2020 for a DC film. That has to be Wonder Woman 2, no?

They also staked out Feb 14, 2020 for DC. I can see that slot becoming a battleground if future years. Especially if Black Panther is huge.

Wonder Woman was my guess in the other thread for the June slot.

I actually had Cyborg for the Feb 2020 slot, but apparently WB never moved it from the April 2020 slot, despite not having a a director, screenwriter, or anything...

I actually had Cyborg for the Feb 2020 slot, but apparently WB never moved it from the April 2020 slot, despite not having a a director, screenwriter, or anything...

Do we actually think Cyborg is still happening? He doesn't seem like he's ever been that popular of a character outside of when he's part of the Teen Titans.

Then again, maybe if he's really well liked in Justice League DC can ride that momentum.

mackaveli

It's crazy that WW 3rd weekend (41.2m) is almost Spidey's 2nd Weekend (44.2). Who would have thought that. Also WW had a slighty better 10.2 k / theatre as spidey's 10.1 k / theatre.

Just unreal.

It's crazy that WW 3rd weekend (41.2m) is almost Spidey's 2nd Weekend (44.2). Who would have thought that. Also WW had a slighty better 10.2 k / theatre as spidey's 10.1 k / theatre.

Just unreal.

We are gonna be looking back and comparing / studying WW's run for years. Its pretty unprecedented

kswiston

The last Spider-man film lost to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, so take a look at how War is currently doing for a pretty reasonable approximation of where a third ASM was heading.

Wonder Woman is bigger than most people thought, but I think that Homecoming is in a good spot, all things considered.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
You guys live in the wrong countries for easy indie access.
This is a list of all the movies one can see in the cinema this week (all names are translated so apologies for that, but you can click on the names and it'll take you to a page with the original name, some data and a IMDB link)
The list shows 25 films of which only 10 aren't indie, and of those 10:
- Boss Baby is done
- Everything, Everything is done
- Wonder Woman is done
- The Mummy is pretty much done
So technically is more like 6 out of 21

Not all of these are being shown in all or even the same chains, but even then the ratios are not bad overall. For example the cinema nearest to my home is currently showing a total of 12 movies, of which 5 are indies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do we actually think Cyborg is still happening? He doesn't seem like he's ever been that popular of a character outside of when he's part of the Teen Titans.

Then again, maybe if he's really well liked in Justice League DC can ride that momentum.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Justice League isn't going to turn Cyborg into a fan favorite. Maybe it's because his entire suit is CG and they're still working on the effects, but what little they've shown of him has been bland. And nobody seems to care about him being the Black member of the team. The Culture is focused on Black Panther.

I could see Aquaman getting a popularity boost. Seems like this version is just a underwater bro.

WB isn't going to kill the film with the black lead from Justice League. At least not with nothing else to replace it.

Green Lanterns will likely have John Stewart, but that won't work since it's a buddy film and Johns' involvement means Hal will likely take center stage. Essentially, they need a somewhat answer to Black Panther and Cyborg is all they got.

Going from their tier list of anchor characters, the only other black leads they have are Vixen and Firestorm (which could present the same problem as Green Lanterns).

I agree the Cyborg wasn't the best choice, but Hal Jordan is ascendant, so here we are.

kmfdmpig

WB isn't going to kill the film with the black lead from Justice League. At least not with nothing else to replace it.

Green Lanterns will likely have John Stewart, but that won't work since it's a buddy film and Johns' involvement means Hal will likely take center stage. Essentially, they need a somewhat answer to Black Panther and Cyborg is all they got.

Going from their tier list of anchor characters, the only other black leads they have are Vixen and Firestorm (which could present the same problem as Green Lanterns).

I agree the Cyborg wasn't the best choice, but Hal Jordan is ascendant, so here we are.

In a better world we'd have a JSA movie with Mr. Terrific front and center.

I don't why they're not just doing a Teen Titans movie.

Same issue I was highlighting. The optics of losing the "black-starring DC superhero vehicle" for a team film. They could go the "Cyborg and the Teen Titans" route, but it's going to be primarily pitched and marketed as a Cyborg-led project.

Martian Manhunter would be a better choice, focusing on man's inhumanity to man and black police detective John Jones navigating that problem a bit.

In a better world we'd have a JSA movie with Mr. Terrific front and center.

I'd be fine with that.

It pisses me off that because of Johns inexplicable boner for dry white toast Hal Jordan the entire world is refused a Green Lantern that isn't just automatically better in pretty much every way, but also more recognizable and more liked.

And Manhunter doesn't make the cut because when they were building this shit David Goyer's dumb ass vetoed even the idea of it out of hand.

Top Bottom