• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

I think the issue was my TV was too bright. I shut it off and the tracking wasnt as bad. In Dick Wilde it was almost perfect, farpoint was still giving me some issues. Good enough though to beat 2 Co op challenges.
Glad to hear.

Yeah, I have monitors behind me that I shut off before I play. I close the blinds and keep one light on that's on the ceiling. For games where I stand, I sit the camera up high about head level. I bring it down when I sit.

MattAces

Is this a bundle that will be re-released or did I miss my chance?

Don't quote me on this but I've heard from several people saying it's a one time thing, they will sell it separately down the road but the bundle is like a promo for Farpoint.
You will still definitely find it in Farpoint release window when they restock it in a week or two.
For where I'm from (Malaysia), they only had two batches of the bundle and they said it's the last chance of getting them.

I think I'm near the end but I'm already wanting a sequel or next project from these guys with this controller.

I can't wait to try the co-op mode.

So I just killed
the giant bug boss in the cave
and I am ready for whatever other enemies in this game are to show up. I gather it is pretty soon from other posts but that fight was just a pain in the butt and I am sick of the freaking spiders. If they eased up on
the endless flood of little spiders
I would've enjoyed it more. That whole level was kind of a pain, and now I finally understand what others were complaining about regarding the bad save points and check points.

Running around the arena made me motion sick too. Having to move one way while looking in another, and possibly shooting in another, would really make me woozy. It's kind of awesome that you can do that but it was too much for my stomach/brain.

Still the fight was pretty intense and had me flinching and sweating hard. Even fighting Ornstein and Smough didn't make me so sweaty, lol.

hank_tree

So I just killed
the giant bug boss in the cave
and I am ready for whatever other enemies in this game are to show up. I gather it is pretty soon from other posts but that fight was just a pain in the butt and I am sick of the freaking spiders. If they eased up on
the endless flood of little spiders
I would've enjoyed it more. That whole level was kind of a pain, and now I finally understand what others were complaining about regarding the bad save points and check points.

Running around the arena made me motion sick too. Having to move one way while looking in another, and possibly shooting in another, would really make me woozy. It's kind of awesome that you can do that but it was too much for my stomach/brain.

Still the fight was pretty intense and had me flinching and sweating hard. Even fighting Ornstein and Smough didn't make me so sweaty, lol.

You've seen the last of the bugs, for better or worse

grendelrt

Time check, how much game do I have left after I (story spoilers!!!)
meet up with their daughter and killed 3 guardians

PJV3

I'm really enjoying the game and so far have avoided any nausea which I'm happy about, its just a shame the gun seems to go wonky every so often and needs shaking to reset it.

I'd love some kind of Sniper game using the aim, it's a really good addition to my vr set up.

Fisty

1.03 doesn't appear to have the stick-swap option for lefties they talked about. =(

Not sure if it works with aim, but as a quick fix you could swap the sticks in the accessibility menu on PS4 for now. Hopefully the in-game solution will come soon

sethcheek

Not sure if it works with aim, but as a quick fix you could swap the sticks in the accessibility menu on PS4 for now. Hopefully the in-game solution will come soon
Unfortunately, the Aim ignores the overrides. I tried it already. If that worked, I'd be set, man. I'm so excited to play it, but stuck 'til they fix it.

ChouGoku

After playing a bit more on the pro I would say its a massive improvement. Please dont get me wrong its still pixelated, however everything looks so much better. The plasma rifle is not worthless anymore, its much easier to make out things in the distance. The guns looks so much better which adds to the presence. Sniping is much easier with clearer enemies, I wish there was a scope though but I guess I have to wait until Arizona Sunshine.

Finally started playing this and made it through the first two levels. The AIM controller is fantastic. It's weighted just right to give that feel of holding something that handles like a gun and ergonomically the buttons are all placed just right.

Farpoint is a good game but it's repetitive. My biggest gripe might be that if you need to leave mid-level and want to close the game you are forced to start at the beginning of the level the next time you play. I am not sure what the reasoning is behind that as there are clearly mid-chapter start points if your character dies. It's frustrating and I am not usually one to simply suspend a game.

impirius

Just started this yesterday, and shooting with the Aim is pretty great. I'm not sure if I finished the first level or not; there are no indications for level starts or checkpoints, but I did get to a long cutscene, so I hope that's the second level. I really don't feel like doing that super-slow first part again, as fun as it was to shoot all of the mushrooms.

Smooth turning seems like the best option by far, even if my knees got wobbly a couple of times after turning and strafing. It's easy to get off-center from the PS Camera, but the grid+camera overlay when the game loses tracking is helpful and intuitive.

hank_tree

Just started this yesterday, and shooting with the Aim is pretty great. I'm not sure if I finished the first level or not; there are no indications for level starts or checkpoints, but I did get to a long cutscene, so I hope that's the second level. I really don't feel like doing that super-slow first part again, as fun as it was to shoot all of the mushrooms.

Smooth turning seems like the best option by far, even if my knees got wobbly a couple of times after turning and strafing. It's easy to get off-center from the PS Camera, but the grid+camera overlay when the game loses tracking is helpful and intuitive.

Yeah those cutscenes indicate the end of each level. So you can safely quit after one of those.

Man i might have ****** myself out of the bundle by not preordering. Does anyone know any places in nyc with some still in stock i would greatly appreciate it?.

I finished the campaign last night. Love the gameplay and the visuals. The game really ramps up after a slow start. I'm definitely going to play the heck out of the challenge maps and co-op.

But I thought the ending was a bit weak. It feels like they got too clever for their own good and were worried about setting up DLC/FP2 more than ending the story arc. I dont have a problem with it (since we are already playing fast and loose with space and time) but it leaves too many loose ends.

Honestly, what was the daughter's plan exactly? She wanted a chance to talk to an inanimate object that she knew was about to blow up?

bumpkin

I finished the campaign last night. Love the gameplay and the visuals. The game really ramps up after a slow start. I'm definitely going to play the heck out of the challenge maps and co-op.

But I thought the ending was a bit weak. It feels like they got too clever for their own good and were worried about setting up DLC/FP2 more than ending the story arc. I dont have a problem with it (since we are already playing fast and loose with space and time) but it leaves too many loose ends.

Honestly, what was the daughter's plan exactly? She wanted a chance to talk to an inanimate object that she knew was about to blow up?
Yeah, the ending was... Odd.
I mean if they had the daughter and the Pilgrim escape the planet through the wormhole, it would have been the typical "happy ending." But in instead having the daughter seemingly commit suicide by staying and the Pilgrim not escape before the wormhole did its thing (again) due to a fluke mechanical error, it didn't feel resolved. It just raised more questions. I suppose that's sequel setup 101, but for all the things it did right, it was a bummer to not give the players a clear, satisfying conclusion.

I am
fighting the scavengers and their robots
now and the game feels really different. Aiming and cover is actually important now the precision rifle is awesome. Aiming down the sights feels so good, especially when you line up a shot through a small hole in the enemy's cover and blow them up. Less running around in the middle of a fight also means less motion sickness for me.

I'm getting audio cut outs now though. Anyone else experiencing that with 1.03?

grendelrt

I am
now and the game feels really different. Aiming and cover is actually important now the precision rifle is awesome. Aiming down the sights feels so good, especially when you line up a shot through a small hole in the enemy's cover and blow them up. Less running around in the middle of a fight also means less motion sickness for me.

I had that happen once until the audio just stopped completely, restarted teh ps4 and it didnt happen again. Must be a random bug.

RoyalFool

Banned
I had a lot of audio cutouts and (a few) blackouts until I turned the HDMI setting for HDCP off. Downside is I can't watch YouTube or Netflix now, but it did seem a lot worse on this title compared to some others. Wonder why? is it taxing the breakout box to an extent the handshake response is too slow perhaps.

Zutrax

Been playing for a bit with the Aim Controller, and I'm up to the part where you start fighting something other than the bugs.

So far the game is alright I suppose. Maybe I'm just way too used to VR now, but "wow" factor is kind of lost on me. The extra fidelity and immersion are always a positive in VR and I won't deny that it exists and helps this game (and other VR games) immensely. But so far this is a pretty bland shooter title, where if the VR components didn't exist I'd be bored to tears. I kind of wish the environments weren't so samey, there were bigger setpieces (the one boss fight was quite enjoyable), more going on, more to explore. I feel like if we were to take the exploration, world, and visuals of Robinson the Journey, and integrate it with the gameplay and shooting mechanics of Farpoint we'd have an incredible game, But like Robinson, it lacks some major key components to make it feel like a truly great game.

Unless the latter half is mind blowingly different and impresses me, I think Resident Evil 7 and Rez Infinite will remain my favorite VR experiences.

I am

I had that happen once until the audio just stopped completely, restarted teh ps4 and it didnt happen again. Must be a random bug.
I'm having this issue too. It's really frustrating and this doesn't seem to happen in other games. I checked all my cables and they're secure so I know it's not that.

I want a melee attack so bad for the next one, and maybe a sprint or slide of some kind. I know you can "jog" a bit by pressing R3, but I'd like to be able to slide into cover or dash out of a crowded spot.

chekhonte

I don't know how I've gone this long with the wrong impression that this was a star trek game in some way related to encounter at farpoint.

I still want to get it when those bundles come back in.

Reallink

Still can't comprehend how the audio in this game is over looked.

What do you mean? Its nowhere near the level of a AAA title, and the positional effects are often buggy, with good sense of direction, but no sense of place or distance. A guy right behind you sounds exactly like a guy 20' behind you with a cavern wall between you.

bumpkin

What do you mean? Its nowhere near the level of a AAA title, and the positional effects are often buggy, with good sense of direction, but no sense of place or distance. A guy right behind you sounds exactly like a guy 20' behind you with a cavern wall between you.
Huh? I remember wandering far from the female character holograms and her voice getting harder to hear behind me as I got further away from her.

this isn't true.

Briarios

I am

It happened once to me early in the game. I powered down the PS4 completely and rebooted, and never had the issue again. Try that, along with reseating the cables and that may help.

Regarding the fights you're talking about, one of the best moments in the game for me was when one ran up and hid behind a large rock. In most shooters, you'd have to flank to shoot the enemy. However, I ran straight up, lifted my gun in the air and aimed down.

It was an amazing feeling of actually being in the space and being in control.

TheMan

decided to pick this up today, took some roundabout bullshit and lots of driving, but I picked it up for about 10 bucks after selling some games. I'll fire it up tonight after my son gets to bed.

TheMan

Man, people complaining of arachnophobia weren't kidding. Fucking winced when one of those bugs jumped in my face. Haven't been this weirded out since that giant spider in the resi 1.

What did I get myself into?

Finally beat the game today and I enjoyed it. The graphics in the later parts of the game are really amazing. I want more VR FPSs please devs! This was far more immersive than any FPS I've played on a flatscreen TV.

About 75% of the time when I load this up and turn my VR headset on, what it has me do the camera test of my surroundings it shows a fucking black screen. Anyone else have this happening? And yes I've shut the PS4 down all the way and turned it back on.

Top Bottom