• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

CJY

Banned
I'm not afraid of spiders and I'm in agreement with people saying that the spiders are too scary. I kind of wish the game had robots or something less phobia-inducing.

I agree that this is the best video game experiences I've had all year. But the game itself is a 7, the level design is a bit uneven (too many corridors) and the enemies are fairly generic bug monsters. It's the controller that pushes it to a 8 or 9 for me. I think several reviews gave it lower scores because they're not adding the controller experience to the score, which I think is fair.

The devs could ideally have made the aim controller a requirement. Sony need to implement a system whereby if you pre-order the game, they can send you out the aim controller for launch day. Or even prior to launch day. I've always liked the idea of being able to purchase physical goods through the PSN store

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I moved recently, and never bothered to unpack my PSVR after settling back in.
I always had unresolvable issues with PSVR's "screen door effect" and never figured out how to mitigate it to a satisfying level. But I figured Farpoint was a good time to give the game another shot. So I set it back up, updated the headset to 2.50, busted out my headphones, and figured it was time.

Within seconds of gaining control of the character, I got dizzy. I powered through, figuring I'd adapt. I got to the end of the first mission (the Arrival trophy popped), and I had to stop. It's been a few hours since I shut it down, and I'm still choking back dizzy/nausea spells.
And the screen door effect remains a massive distraction.

I've always been thankful that polygonal games have not caused me to get dizzy, like I've seen folks report since at least the PSOne/N64 days. Is VR simply my Achilles heel? Or is there something that I can actually do to make the experience pleasant enough to allow actual play?

CJY

Banned
I moved recently, and never bothered to unpack my PSVR after settling back in.
I always had unresolvable issues with PSVR's "screen door effect" and never figured out how to mitigate it to a satisfying level. But I figured Farpoint was a good time to give the game another shot. So I set it back up, updated the headset to 2.50, busted out my headphones, and figured it was time.

Within seconds of gaining control of the character, I got dizzy. I powered through, figuring I'd adapt. I got to the end of the first mission (the Arrival trophy popped), and I had to stop. It's been a few hours since I shut it down, and I'm still choking back dizzy/nausea spells.
And the screen door effect remains a massive distraction.

I've always been thankful that polygonal games have not caused me to get dizzy, like I've seen folks report since at least the PSOne/N64 days. Is VR simply my Achilles heel? Or is there something that I can actually do to make the experience pleasant enough to allow actual play?

1) Have you been through all the settings, particularly the IPD (eye-to-eye distance)? This seems the most important to reduce nausea.

2) There's also a "sidetone" feature in audio settings when you have the VR headset turned on. This uses the built-in microphone on the headset and lets you hear your surroundings. This helped me a lot to alleviate claustrophobia when playing Farpoint.

3) this might seem silly, but have you definitely, 100%, removed the protective film over the lenses of the headset?

Mejilan

1) Have you been through all the settings, particularly the IPD (eye-to-eye distance)? This seems the most important to reduce nausea.

2) There's also a "sidetone" feature in audio settings when you have the VR headset turned on. This uses the built-in microphone on the headset and lets you hear your surroundings. This helped me a lot to alleviate claustrophobia when playing Farpoint.

3) this might seem silly, but have you definitely, 100%, removed the protective film over the lenses of the headset?

1) I swung from one IPD extreme to another and noticed no real differences.
2) Not aware of that feature, but I don't really feel claustrophobia. It's more a very acute motion sickness (which is something I do feel depending on where I sit in a vehicle and the skill of the driver.
3) I uh... I think so? I'll check that. Thanks.

Edit - Probably worth mentioning that I didn't really feel any disorientation when farting about with much of the PSVR Demo Disc or PSVR Worlds. Scavenger's Odyssey was the only one that I tried that, in time, made me a little dizzy. Farpoint was like that, but WAY faster, and much more acute.

1) I swung from one IPD extreme to another and noticed no real differences.
2) Not aware of that feature, but I don't really feel claustrophobia. It's more a very acute motion sickness (which is something I do feel depending on where I sit in a vehicle and the skill of the driver.
3) I uh... I think so? I'll check that. Thanks.

Edit - Probably worth mentioning that I didn't really feel any disorientation when farting about with much of the PSVR Demo Disc or PSVR Worlds. Scavenger's Odyssey was the only one that I tried that, in time, made me a little dizzy. Farpoint was like that, but WAY faster, and much more acute.

Could it be the analog stick movement hitting you? No VR games affect me whatsoever other than the smooth turning in RE7 and Farpoint and i've had to manage it a bit. Slowing turn speed, chewing gum, playing standing up, and taking short breaks have all helped.

Mejilan

Could it be the analog stick movement hitting you? No VR games affect me whatsoever other than the smooth turning in RE7 and Farpoint and i've had to manage it a bit. Slowing turn speed, chewing gum, playing standing up, and taking short breaks have all helped.

Probably. The discomfort spikes when I'm moving in one direction and looking in another. But it can happen even if all I'm doing is looking down at a rock or walking around while I'm focused on a point of interest (such as when I'm scanning holograms in order to proc their playback). I can try standing, I suppose.

Rokal

Smooth movement for RE7 and Farpoint caused nausea for me. It's counter-intuitive: you'd think abrupt camera "teleporting" movement (small/big step in Farpoint) would be more jarring and cause more nausea, but it's so unnatural that it doesn't even register unconsciously as movement for my brain. Meanwhile, slow camera panning ("smooth" in both games) is the natural appearance of movement but without the natural sensation of movement: a toxic combo for VR nausea.

I'd suggest playing around with settings a lot and seeing what works best for you. I'd also say that it gets better over time: my first session or two with RE7 were pretty rough, but after I got used to it I had an iron stomach. You definitely have to earn your VR legs, or I assume most people do anyway.

One last suggestion I'd give is to always shut off your PS4 completely before you play a VR game. Rest mode/suspend definitely causes some weird tracking issues occasionally, and was solely responsible for my most sickening VR experience.

Fisty

Probably. The discomfort spikes when I'm moving in one direction and looking in another. But it can happen even if all I'm doing is looking down at a rock or walking around while I'm focused on a point of interest (such as when I'm scanning holograms in order to proc their playback). I can try standing, I suppose.

No joke, I played most of Farpoint standing sideways, and when moving around I pretend I'm on a skateboard. Definitely helps since it gives you something to make the locomotion feel somewhat normal

Mejilan

Smooth movement for RE7 and Farpoint caused nausea for me. It's counter-intuitive: you'd think abrupt camera "teleporting" movement (small/big step in Farpoint) would be more jarring and cause more nausea, but it's so unnatural that it doesn't even register unconsciously as movement for my brain. Meanwhile, slow camera panning ("smooth" in both games) is the natural appearance of movement but without the natural sensation of movement: a toxic combo for VR nausea.

I'd suggest playing around with settings a lot and seeing what works best for you. I'd also say that it gets better over time: my first session or two with RE7 were pretty rough, but after I got used to it I had an iron stomach. You definitely have to earn your VR legs, or I assume most people do anyway.

One last suggestion I'd give is to always shut off your PS4 completely before you play a VR game. Rest mode/suspend definitely causes some weird tracking issues occasionally, and was solely responsible for my most sickening VR experience.

Interesting. Prior to really diving in, I set options to what I thought would be the most relaxed and natural, since I did recall having issues with Scavenger's Odyssey months ago, when PSVR first hit. (I largely stopped using it while waiting for a real killer app to land. I'm not sure Farpoint is it, but nothing else so far has been to me, so I actually left PSVR boxed up for a few months until today).

I think I'll return to Gravity Rush 2, which I'm close to finishing, but I will absolutely keep everyone's advice here in mind when I next give it a go. My thanks to you, and the others that chimed in.

ChouGoku

My setup was working good for a while and today I have been getting a lot of drift in my aim. the second I recalibrate I can see the gun I am holding start to drift to the left. I have no clue what is up

when I played the demo at the handson and played multiplayer player co-op with the back stick used for rotation, i last about 1 whole session before my legs started to want to buckle - didn't get too nauseous but was definitely getting there. Thanks goodness it didnt last.

Havent' had issues with it since getting it but I did play it without the turning enabled on the rear stick

My setup was working good for a while and today I have been getting a lot of drift in my aim. the second I recalibrate I can see the gun I am holding start to drift to the left. I have no clue what is up

Short fix, try shaking the controller a little. It should snap back into place.

ChouGoku

Man that sucks. Have you tried turning out the lights and closing windows?

I think the issue was my TV was too bright. I shut it off and the tracking wasnt as bad. In Dick Wilde it was almost perfect, farpoint was still giving me some issues. Good enough though to beat 2 Co op challenges.

KOHIPEET

Shooting is so damn good with the aim controller. It's like playing paintball. I wish there was a team-based PVP mode.

CS-like elimination would be dope af.

Fox1304

Ordered the bundle at a french retailer that offered it for 75€ (15€ less than everywhere else), and it was indicated as ready to ship. Unfortunately it's not, the listing was removed from the website, my order is "processing" and I can't cancel ...
Thank you, Cdiscount !

The plasma rifle was my least favorite gun in the game. I felt that when the shield was up, vision was obscured. On top of that, enemies are shooting you, so their blasts are hitting your shield, making your vision even more obscured. Then you are trying to aim at like 5 pixels in the distance that are moving around quickly while you can't even see. Kinda useless.

I just always kept my regular assault rifle and mostly the precision rifle. The shotgun is kinda useless in that world b/c everything is far away, moving quickly, flying, ect. The only place where you'd have to "git gud" is in using the amazing precision rifle. Pop 3 shots, hit reload, immediately switch to your other gun for a kill or two, switch back with the precision rifle fully loaded for quick snipes, ect.

Agreed, sniper+assaultrifle combo best. Then you get rockets too and the sniper deals same damage as a shotty but from a longer range. You can still hipfire quite nicely :D

Shotty was fun at first but not very versatile, plasmarifle was annoying like you said, and it had a waaay too small magazine requiring constant reloads. Spikegun felt too weak.

Ogni-XR21

Farpoint debut as No.2 in the UK All format Charts, making it the highest position a ‘VR required’ title has ever reached in the All Formats Chart, surpassing ‘Playstation VR Worlds’ – which debuted at No7 in W41 2016.

https://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/05/debut-no1-sets-warners-injustice-2-super-start

The thirst for VR is real.

Shall we make a thread about this?

I'm happy to read this, well deserved and hopefully a signal to other developers that VR games can be worth making (at least I hope it was worth it for Impulse Gear).

RoyalFool

Banned
Oh man, that feeling when one of those big roach things is charging at you, then you hear your shotgun run out of ammo before you've been able to put him down.

I saw my virtual life flash before my eyes.

CyberChulo

I just spent an hour playing FarPoint multi with my buddy. It's an experience unlike any other that I have played. It feels like a combination and evolution of Laser Tag, Contra, Halo, and Starship Troopers all rolled into one. SIMPLY AMAZING!

Plus I can see and talk to them in the lobby is pretty rad. I just go over to his desk and start knocking all his shit off the desk with my gun! hahahahah.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got around to trying the coop and it's awesome. Damn. Even in a lobby with a stranger who wasn't using a mic, it was tons of fun. Getting a real life friend playing this is going to be so damn good.

grendelrt

I finally got around to trying the coop and it's awesome. Damn. Even in a lobby with a stranger who wasn't using a mic, it was tons of fun. Getting a real life friend playing this is going to be so damn good.
None of my friends have psvr =( so want to play Co op with them.

Grinchy

Banned
None of my friends have psvr =( so want to play Co op with them.

My best friend of 20+ years has a PSVR but hasn't bought this game. I tried to get him to jump on the $60 bundle from Amazon with a Prime account. He didn't, and now like most people, he can't find a bundle anywhere.

These PSVR games are just so much more fun to play with people you know.

Agreed, sniper+assaultrifle combo best. Then you get rockets too and the sniper deals same damage as a shotty but from a longer range. You can still hipfire quite nicely :D

Shotty was fun at first but not very versatile, plasmarifle was annoying like you said, and it had a waaay too small magazine requiring constant reloads. Spikegun felt too weak.
I put the spike gun down pretty quick. It's kind of fun to play with, but the weird arcing trajectory makes it kind of sloppy, and they introduce it at a point in the game where accuracy matters more. They should have either offered it up in the first third or maybe given it a lock-on/homing capability.

And yeah, there's too much visual noise involved with using the plasma gun. I wound up wasting too many shots. Maybe if it made some splash damage, it would've felt a little more useful.

CyberChulo

I love the plasma rife's shield during multiplayer. I would tell me buddy to step out with me so I can cover him while he shoots over my shoulders.

I love the plasma rife's shield during multiplayer. I would tell me buddy to step out with me so I can cover him while he shoots over my shoulders.

VR shields in general feel amazing. They just work the way they're supposed to.

Been enjoying the hell out of the shield/shotty combo in DW as well.

D23

Finished campaign over the weekend. I love everything about it. I'd give it a solid 8.

Gonna jump into co op next. Can't wait to play with you all.

I just spent an hour playing FarPoint multi with my buddy. It's an experience unlike any other that I have played. It feels like a combination and evolution of Laser Tag, Contra, Halo, and Starship Troopers all rolled into one. SIMPLY AMAZING!

Plus I can see and talk to them in the lobby is pretty rad. I just go over to his desk and start knocking all his shit off the desk with my gun! hahahahah.

My feelings exactly, I play it and shareplay it with a friend who watches me, We both agreed that it makes you feel like Master Chief in a starship troopers world, Then further into the game other enemies make it feel like terminator.

The Co-op is such fun, Seeing the whole body movements of your partner, Shooting shit in VR with a friend is incredible, Going back to standard shooters on the TV feels backwards.

Love the Sci-fi setting, And the gameplay feels so smooth.

majik13

So I keep checking Amazon randomly, and its always sold out. Have they been getting any new stock? Whats the best way to get notified if they get stock, and does just the Aim controller qualify for the 20% launch window Prime discount?

grendelrt

So I keep checking Amazon randomly, and its always sold out. Have they been getting any new stock? Whats the best way to get notified if they get stock, and does just the Aim controller qualify for the 20% launch window Prime discount?
The bundle should, I doubt the controller alone does.

charpunk

I put the spike gun down pretty quick. It's kind of fun to play with, but the weird arcing trajectory makes it kind of sloppy, and they introduce it at a point in the game where accuracy matters more. They should have either offered it up in the first third or maybe given it a lock-on/homing capability.

And yeah, there's too much visual noise involved with using the plasma gun. I wound up wasting too many shots. Maybe if it made some splash damage, it would've felt a little more useful.

As soon as I got the spike gun, that's all I used. Everything just melted super quickly with it. Rest of the game became super easy.

I agree about the plasma gun though. It's super fun to use, but the partical effects the shield makes when taking damage makes it hard to see what you're aiming at.

tr00per

Great googly moogly.

I had an absolute blast playing farpoint online with a friend of mine.

Tracking is soooo good. Looking at your shadow is pretty mind blowing. Leaning/peeking, crouching, blind firing, run-and-gunning feel very immersive. It's so cool how you can look, shoot, and walk in three different directions.

Graphics are pretty good even on an OG ps4.

There's something really remarkable about your actual moves being displayed to another player. Showing each other your guns; doing stupid dances. Online VR is something else...I'm eagerly anticipating the e3 game announcements. And hopefully they'll add some dlc to this game

I was having a great time until I realized how much I wished there was a resistance game just like this. This now tops my wishlist.

One minor gripe, my dpad on the aim controller is pretty squishy. A step back from the sharpshooter, imo. Did I get a bad unit or are they all like that?

bumpkin

As soon as I got the spike gun, that's all I used. Everything just melted super quickly with it. Rest of the game became super easy.

I agree about the plasma gun though. It's super fun to use, but the partical effects the shield makes when taking damage makes it hard to see what you're aiming at.
I hated the Plasma gun so much that I didn't even bother picking up the Spike gun. I was like, "Great, this will be another shitty novelty gun."

DYK When she asks you the question, you can nod your head and get a response
What question?

Top Bottom