• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I keep hearing this and I don't know what it means. Nier and drakengard are just a name to the taroverse, if nier is the name that has brand recognition as long as Taro can make whatever he wants I don't see the problem. Now if square does want more 2B and 9S you might as well kill me now.

Because using the term "nier" itself means that Yoko stays constrained to Nier's specific aesthetic and world view, when the Taroverse is much larger and varied than that

I think they should give YT the leeway to keep his world fresh by expanding it in all sorts of creative directions

ALso, "Nier" should not be a major franchise. "Drakenier" should be. Nier itself is just a subbrand of Drakengard after all. And YT definitely wants the freedom to focus on the entire universe and not just Nier's specific aesthetic and timeline.

The whole Drakenier is confusing even to die hard fans. They'll have to find a way to communicate that they're linked.

Akainu

I joke and I liked automata but are we sure it didn't sell well cause of the fanservice? I think square might be jumping the gun.

Because using the term "nier" itself means that Yoko stays constrained to Nier's specific aesthetic and world view, when the Taroverse is much larger and varied than that

I think they should give YT the leeway to keep his world fresh by expanding it in all sorts of creative directions
Like I hear what your saying and I get it but if I learned anything from drakengard 3 it's that taro can never be bound by rules. So I have faith in him, if I'm wrong it would be massively upsetting but I do think they know why now got to the size it did.

Im curious how they'll handle the franchise from now on. YT has stated he doesnt like doing the same thing twice, and even if they share an universe all his games have been quite different.

Also, reactions will be entertaining should they ever revisit Drakengard. Taro never went full Drakengard in Automata. It was quite tame, by Taro's standard.

PixelatedBookake

Ya know, I'm totally okay with Nier sequels as long as they play with the idea that Nier Automata ENDING E SPOILERS
2B, 9S, and A2 have to find purpose in their existence being the only YorHa units left on Earth. I feel like since YorHa is gone, they aren't obligated to follow their mission anymore. But even then, there are still machines on Earth and the other androids are fighting them as well, so will they just follow them instead of YorHa? And 2B has no reason to kill 9S since he has no way of finding out the secrets of YorHa again and, even if he does, there is no real purpose to kill him since YorHa doesn't exist anymore.
Yo typing that up made me remember how much I fucking LOVED this game. That was a GameFly free-trial well spent. Anyways, a sequel post-Nier Automata sounds like it would be hard to make work story wise.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope this means that SE pushes mid tier gaming with a generally decent budget and a well known team.

I hope Left Alive will be a success.

kewlmyc

Cool. Hopefully Yoko Taro doesn't get burned out, or whoever replaces him is competent.

Also hope they don't crash it into the ground.

Theatrhythm NieR

Do it SE. DO IT!!!

Yoko Taro: Hold my beer!
draken3ffhc.jpg

KrawlMan

I can't convince myself to start playing this game again.

I really do wish people weren't spreading false information about basically needing to "replay" the game several times to beat it. That was my initial deterrent to continuing after the credits rolled, and by the time I had seen some clarification on the way the game plays out, I had already stepped away for long enough that I found it hard to come back.

it's really my own fault for reading threads about it before I finished :p

We all played it for the...

sSqcmKK.gif

game...

7c5ffI6.gif

...play... erm...

I hope we get to play his next game, ""Make a blindfolded half naked male show me his ass" game.""

No, butt seriously. Congrats to Platinum and Yoko Taro. Great story backed up by good character interactions and good gameplay.

Top Bottom