• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

Pbae

PRAISE YOKO TARO!!!!

I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW I CAN'T STOP TYPING IN CAPS!!!

OMFG ONE OF THE GOAT STORY TELLERS IS GETTING A BUDGET TO DO MORE CRAZY SHIT YAAAASSSS!!!!

I'm so happy! We fucking did it!

3767445-ibbpfnbajnxrly.gif

Randomizer

Somewhat excited at the possibility of a 'AAA' budget Yoko Taro title. But also apprehensive, as long as he has free reign to do his thing. Just worried that the more money the project starts to receive the more management will begin to meddle.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You better not flipping destroy Yoko Taro's drive SE with your money grubbing. I swear to god

Hey that's great news I really liked XV and Nier. The only two games I've actually finished in the last year. Hope they keep Taro involved. (They have to right?) more collaboration with P* would be nice too.

Renmyra

Hey, Square Enix. Your turn-based Final Fantasies sold way more than 2 million, hint hint. I don't know what budget Nier had, but I'm sure you could make a great turn-based game with the same amount.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
ALso, "Nier" should not be a major franchise. "Drakenier" should be. Nier itself is just a subbrand of Drakengard after all. And YT definitely wants the freedom to focus on the entire universe and not just Nier's specific aesthetic and timeline.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

I don't want Yorha cellphone MMO called Automata Comrades ;-;

By Square Enix's definition, FFXV and Nier Automata are GAAS games, they have free updates and DLC to keep people playing after launch.

They're studios have tons of single player teams, they have tons of single player fans, they aren't just going to make every game multiplayer for no reason. And to prove that, they just announced Left Alive and confirmed its single player only. There's nothing to worry about.

FiveSide

Banned
This is some Disney animated film "dreams really do come true" stuff right here.

I will remember this game for the rest of my life as The Miracle of 2017.

Hektor

ALso, "Nier" should not be a major franchise. "Drakenier" should be. Nier itself is just a subbrand of Drakengard after all. And YT definitely wants the freedom to focus on the entire universe and not just Nier's specific aesthetic and timeline.

It's definitely gonna be a challenge to get Drakengard to be as relevant as Nier, but i think he could make a game called "NieR: Drakengard" and then continue from there if it's successful.

I'm glad they're doing more NieR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

I don't want Yorha cellphone MMO called Automata Comrades ;-;

He already released a nier related mobile game just 3 months ago tho. :>

It's called SinoAlice and based on Nier's original script.
https://sinoalice.wiki/Main_Page

BBboy20

2f8.gif

SCALEBOUND!

Wagram

Drakenier should be significant going forward. It shouldn't be Nier that takes all the credit. Just make a Drakengard from Platinum and market the hell out of it that it's the series responsible for Nier.

BaconHat

I honestly never thought i would see a day where Yoko Taro games would sell well and would be considered significant franchises.

This year has seriously been one of the best in gaming.

I keep hearing this and I don't know what it means. Nier and drakengard are just a name to the taroverse, if nier is the name that has brand recognition as long as Taro can make whatever he wants I don't see the problem. Now if square does want more 2B and 9S you might as well kill me now.

Pooya

This is not good news. Now that higher ups 'care' about it, it means more hands in the pot which probably ruins it just like almost everything else Square Enix produces.

The global response to the title has been excellent, putting it on par with ”Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" as a symbol of the high quality of our Group's products.

Weird bar for success when Deus Ex was put on ice.

Ok. So can we stop calling it a bomb or financial disaster now?

I am really happy to see NieR achieving this success but I am also afraid that they might just kill it. They need to handle it efficiently and not just double down on sequels or mediocre games. That will kill the IP again.

It will always be a bomb in japan

Top Bottom