• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

GoldStarz

Considering that they continued to let Yoko Taro do whatever weird bullshit he wanted both in his games and in public despite his games having mediocre to shitty sales/critical reception I don't see why they'd suddenly decide to hold a tighter leash on him now that he's finally made a smash hit. If anything Automata's success will probably result in him having the freedom to do even weirder shit.

Yeah but wasn't the reason that happened because some people from Platinum wanted to work with Yoko Taro specifically?

Also of course, there's a difference between a major franchise and just a minor properties

Szadek

I have the bad feeling that NieR Automata was too succesful for it's own good.
This could backfire really hard.

Gbraga

Yea, like, how about we let Nier actually fuck up first, before getting all worried that it becoming much more popular is somehow a bad thing lol

Didn't Taro even like cry or something at how successful this game was? He of all people must feel ecstatic.

Oh, I don't mean the popularity, I'm more worried about the path S-E will take with the series going forward if "significant franchise" means much higher budgets.

I'm really happy the series is hugely popular now as well, but I hope they'll continue to be somewhat lower budget games. I'm just weird, though, don't give my preferences too much thought.

Because I'm a pessimist, I worry that this means they'll give it a moderate budget and expect it to sell gang busters.
Then when it sells only 2-3 million, they'll call it a huge disappointment.

With S-E I could totally see this of course.

Hopefully they don't and keep the budget under control so he can keep doing his crazy awesome shit.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Waiting for the eventual internal memo from Yoko Taro a couple more entries down the line suggesting he feels done with the franchise, and then Square management chaining his foot to the desk, going "Ohhh no. You need to keep making these. In fact we're going to need one of these every 18 months. They help us keep the lights on as we endure production nightmares of having to restart Final Fantasy 16 for the eighth time."

Buckle

Now we just need confirmation they plan to work with Platinum again.

Gotta get the whole band back together or the combat might go to shit again.

wmlk

Waiting for the eventual internal memo from Yoko Taro suggesting he feels done with the franchise, and then Square management chaining his foot to the desk, going "Ohhh no. You need to keep making these. In fact we're going to need one of these every 18 months. They help us keep the lights on as we endure production nightmares of having to restart Final Fantasy 16 for the eighth time."

They're making bank with games that were in dev hell and aren't critical darlings. They won't need to do that. They'll be just fine.

By all indications SE is pretty successful nowadays.

eXistor

I want more NieR, but I'm always cautious when I hear such phrases as "significant franchise". Try not to lose sight of what makes the games work and we're golden, but becoming a big, popular franchise seldomly means better games.

I have the bad feeling that NieR Automata was too succesful for it's own good.
This could backfire really hard.
I feel the same way. Nier is a really special series that I love, but making more just cause you can doesn't seem privvy to what the series is about.

Asd202

First mistake they can make with Nier is not working with Platinum again. Taro + Platinum + Okabe is a perfect combo.

GLrG4cV.gif

Hektor

lol I would have never expected that from you :p

As a punishment i flogged myself 10 times with my licensed limited edition emil whip ultra

Can't wait for Nier:
Battle Royale
next year.

I'd actually be kinda curios what yoko taro would do if he would had to make an actual multiplayer game.

His goal is to make games no one else is making, whcih he predorminantly achieves through the stories he writes as well as the way he tells them. That would not work that easy for a MP game.

sn00zer

It was pretty clear ot was made on a shoe string budget so im sure they are thrilled at makong more froma returns perspective. Game was good, but felt really restrained outside of the story

Koozek

I look forward to seeing Yoko Taro popping up in fashion magazines and ads for Nissan/Toyota. He's already proven he's a master salesman of T-Shirts, so why not?

-

IIRC, didn't Squeenix say something along the lines that (despite the series' niche appeal) the 1.5 million units sld through in May was UNDER their expectations. Perhaps we're talking about commercial and critical expectations here, but it sounds like they've changed their tune given it's now passed two million in sales.
Lol no, they didn't say that. In fact it's always been the opposite. This is what they said in May:

vkrili

I look forward to seeing the evolution of Taro's thinking.

Drakengard:
you need to be fucked up to kill people

Nier:
you need to feel you're doing the right thing to kill people

Nier automata:
what if there is no right thing because life is meaningless but what if it isn't

Nier tomato: ???

packy34

I would like an official PC patch, but FAR has fixed most of the issues... and that's probably exactly why they aren't doing anything.

The Bethesda approach.

I look forward to seeing the evolution of Taro's thinking.

Drakengard:
you need to be fucked up to kill people

Nier:
you need to feel you're doing the right thing to kill people

Nier automata:
what if there is no right thing because life is meaningless but what if it isn't

Nier tomato: ???

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit

Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is a smoothie.

I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle... and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him.

Jotakori

Really stoked about this!! I super look forward to any future Nier games oh man, oh man!

But the other thread has me nervous as heck. Please don't turn Nier into multiplayer, I'll die. 😩

Nier: A is one of the best games I've played this year and definitely a memorable experience like the first one was, so I'm glad they have found success in the IP.

Don't go GAAS, please.

Top Bottom