• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

R1CHO

I didn't know that we could downvote games...

So, how do you do that and how do you see the number of games you have upvoted or downvoted?

Well, the No interest thing, i guess the impact is not the same as a negative vote... or yes, who knows.

There is a list on your profile for the games that you have upvoted, the other number is the difference from the total of games.

Aselith

I have gone through the list of candidates for the greenlight once again and these are my 66 favorites:

If you are interested in browsing some games on greenlight but are too lazy to go through the 992 current games, then it might be a good start.

Drakensang: The River of Time is already on Steam.

When is the next round picked?
January 15th is what the news post on the Greenlgiht page says.

It got taken down (certainly due to copyright infringment) but now they've gone along and just put up an identical listing: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=117478607
Didn't Valve say in the pre-Greenlight days something along the lines of "you have no idea what kind of things are submitted to us. All sorts, even complete rip-offs of other games".

Wok

So theoricaly on January 15 [...] there would be greenlight games AND IGF games

Good news.

Dream, which was greenlit, will be released in September 2014. There is a kickstarter after the greenlight.

So Dream did not manage to get kickstarted.

We’re going to get part-time jobs which should help but ultimately won’t be enough to full continue development so following the advice and support of you guys we’re going to change our development style a little. We’re going to accept PayPal donations and give everyone who donates the pre-alpha to play (available at the start of February) and access to a developer forum that you can leave us feedback in. The deal is we’ll keep working at the game for as long as we can and following your input we’ll try and shape the game into something you’ll all enjoy.

This is a big risk but at the very least we can promise you that we’ll try our best to make something you will enjoy playing and being a part of.

You will be able to find the PayPal donation page at the link below once it goes live (we have a temporary one in place right now for all you eager beavers)

Haunted

PLJIl.jpg

You're welcome, Steam.

I can't believe what some people pay $100 for to put on Greenlight. So many throwaway "babby's first attempts in flash/RPGmaker" entries.

Here's my plan for Valve going forward:

- Keep enhancing Greenlight's reporting stuff. Having suggested release date is a good step. I voted for Dream, but I really wouldn't have if I thought it was a 2014 release, that's mental. Consider revising what counts as a concept and what counts as a game.

- Greenlight the top 10 every month, just as you are now.

- Fast-track or greenlight anything in the top 50 to 75 that are actually released, commercially available games... with an editorial veto for stuff that's manifestly not qualified. This helps tilt the balance towards release-ready or release-near games.

- Pick a few games as an "editor's choice" every month. Say 3-5 games, regardless of votes, based on apparent quality. If you don't want to do this, have guest editors every month (Invite Terry Cavanagh to be your first editor, let's say Derek Yu as your second, one of the guys from RPS to be your third). This helps avoid obvious oversights. The IGF thing sort of applies here as well--there's an infrastructure built up outside Valve that can make this process easier. Use it.
That's good advice.

Getting reputable guest editors to pick some choices out every month might be more work than they're willing to invest, though.

I can't fault Valve too much, but I'd be much happier if they would at least fix the most egregious oversights that are stuck in Greenlight right now. Games like Ludwig, Cook Serve Delicious, La Mulana, Unepic, Incredipede, Cognition, Escape Goat and most (if not all) of the dtp games really have no business languishing in limbo right now.

epmode

It was probably asked many times before, but is the Greenlight the only way for small indie games to appear on Steam?

Well, you have to get it listed at least. But I wouldn't be surprised if Valve ignores the voting statistics for some games and just, um, greenlights them regardless. That's how it should work, anyway.

Hofmann

Basicaly, yes.
And ANY size of indies that don't have distribution agreement with a huge company

Well, you have to get it listed at least. But I wouldn't be surprised if Valve ignores the voting statistics for some games and just, um, greenlights them regardless. That's how it should work, anyway.

It would be really stupid if they give the whole control to voters. I thought it's only an addition to normal process where some wise people decide if a project is worth releasing on the platform.

ShaneB

How do people feel about Greenlight in general?

I think it's a decent concept with horrible execution.

Completely useless and a disaster.

It's a great concept sure, but it is such a trainwreck. No one seems to have any idea how it works, or what the process is. Will future games not claim to be on Steam, but on greenlight, waiting to be on Steam? Who the hell knows.

Why are games getting approved that are nothing more than ideas or concepts? Why is Game X that is complete and made and available to buy elsewhere, not the front line of games to be approved? Why not have a tiered system, choosing 20 games to vote for, and then 10 of those show up on Steam next week because they're ready to go.

I'm not so sure. Like I wrote, if it's only an addition then ok, but if not then many great unpopular games could be left outside from the main distribution platform.

It's not fun, intuitive, or even remotely efficient to vote for games on Steam greenlight. And when I do decide to find the Greenlight button, I have to wade through so much crap that it depresses me for the rest of the day.

Hofmann

It's not fun, intuitive, or even remotely efficient to vote for games on Steam greenlight. And when I do decide to find the Greenlight button, I have to wade through so much crap that it depresses me for the rest of the day.

That's completely different case. But the idea... I dont know. Direct democracy is not always a good thing.

BHK3

Banned
Never seen this thread before, I voted for La Mulana in the greenlight thing a while ago, do I just have to wait until it turns up on steam one day or what? I can't be assed to buy it from places outside of steam.

ShaneB

I'm not so sure. Like I wrote, if it's only an addition then ok, but if not then many great unpopular games could be left outside from the main distribution platform.

I'm fine with the idea, I've seen plenty of great games on there that I had no idea about, and that's wonderful, but Greenlight is still flawed.

Those games on greenlight should be complete games and ready to go. Greenlight is not kickstarter. It's not, vote for my game to be on Steam, then I'll make it! Greenlight as I said should be, hey my game is made, I really want it on Steam, please vote for it to be on Steam immediately!

Hofmann

Those games on greenlight should be complete games and ready to go. Greenlight is not kickstarter. It's not, vote for my game to be on Steam, then I'll make it! Greenlight as I said should be, hey my game is made, I really want it on Steam, please vote for it to be on Steam immediately!

I understand the concept behind this, but I think it's flawed. Many people won't buy a game if it's not on Steam; many of them won't be interested even if they could get it for free on platforms such as Desura or Origin. That's why giving the right to decide which games will find its place on the digital shelf to majority is quite dangerous, because I'm sure that only the certain kind of interactive media will be chosen in this virtual agora. It's of course good idea for Steam, because they'll earn more money, knowing in advance which games will sell, but not for some more obscure and innovative ideas.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I originally said that we should wait and see how Greenlight turned out, but it does seem that (a few months?) since it has come out, it has really become a non-starter for a certain specific market: Developers who have a game already playable and being sold (and who may already have games on Steam). One big issue seems to be that due to how Valve keeps certain information hidden, the developer just sees that they are 70% into the top 100...which then drops every week or so as new games are added.

This seems to mean that unless they can get everyone who is interested in the game to vote initially as a blitz, they have to have a constant stream of votes that outweighs the votes/day rate any other game in any other category, or else their ranking will simply continue to fall and their chances of ever being approved go from slim to none.

And if their game is already completed, they may be unlikely to have a stream of new features or screenshots (like say, pCARS, or Minecraft) to keep people interested.

I saw at least one piece of developer feedback that mentioned it used to be impossible to even notify people who follow (favorite?) your game that there is news, so that they can help tell their friends to vote or whatever, or see the new progress without checking themselves. I think that's improved at least. It also looked like there was one Valve employee responding to some Greenlight discussion thread(s), so at least someone is or was checking on the community in that regard.

I am really curious to see what happens with Feep's new game, assuming he is allowed to tell us any details -- whether having a previous game on the store (and a Valve contact?) helps him, whether he has to go through Greenlight, etc.

beril

Awful concept with even worse excecution.

Having a popularity contest decide which games get to be released is silly. A small niche game shouldn't have to compete against much bigger more mainstream titles. Yes, if both would be released they would still technically be competing, but it wouldn't really matter that the smaller sells a lot less. It would still be able to make some money, the people interested could get to play it, and it probably wouldn't need to sell nearly as much as the bigger title to make a profit. But with greenlight it won't be making any money ever, and no one will get to play it (because no one will buy it outside of steam, especially not when there's a tiny chance it will eventually be released there), so it can't start building up a fanbase through word of mouth either.

Wok

Because it is the last weekend before the finalists of IGF 2013 are revealed, and greenlit, I am cross-posting my predictions here. You may also find SapientWolf's guess here.

Here are my guesses.

Seumas McNally Grand Prize (5/5)
  • Cannon Brawl
  • FTL: Faster than Light
  • ibb and obb
  • Owlboy
  • The Iconoclasts

Excellence In Visual Art (5/5)
  • Apotheon
  • City Tuesday
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail
  • Fly'n
  • Tengami

Technical Excellence (5/5)
  • Awesomenauts
  • Dustforce
  • Hotline Miami
  • Incredipede
  • Skulls Of The Shogun

Excellence in Design (5/5)
  • A Virus Named TOM
  • Gateways
  • Moments of Reflection
  • Perspective
  • The Swapper

Excellence In Audio (3/5)
  • Beat Hazard Ultra
  • FRACT OSC
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
  • ?
  • ?

Excellence in Narrative (5/5)
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Qasir al-Wasat: A Night in-Between
  • Papo & Yo
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Thomas Was Alone

Nuovo Award (8/8)
  • Bientôt l'été
  • Frog Fractions
  • Little Inferno
  • McPixel
  • Simony
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
  • Super Hexagon
  • Thirty Flights of Loving

IGF Student Showcase Winner (8/8)
  • ATUM
  • Farsh
  • Perspective
  • Shadow Diver
  • SPHERE
  • Tiny White Stones
  • Unmechanical
  • Zineth

Last updated on January, 2nd 2013.

Greenlighting finalists of indie competitions is the way to go.

inm8num2

LOL okay, so I don't feel bad being negative about Greenlight then.

I agree with the above comment that it's cheap, half-assed outsourcing that has somehow made the game submission process even more murky and unclear.

The whole thing is lazy.

If they bothered to give the navigation and searching a modicum of user friendliness, it might be easier. But they've gone for the dumbed down, big picture, tablet mindset instead of having a page of 50 projects at once, sortable by different categories.

Blizzard

Banned
Because it is the last weekend before the finalists of IGF 2013 are revealed, and greenlit, I am cross-posting my predictions here. You may also find SapientWolf's guess here.

Greenlighting finalists of indie competitions is the way to go.
What about indie games that are don't fit into the competitions? :p I feel like there must be some good indie games that didn't win IGF or whatnot. I agree it's -a- good way, but not the only way.

The user interface is another good point. Maybe someone at Valve sees some of the feedback, but it really probably isn't a system that makes people want to actually look through and vote on games...even aside from the depressingly bad ones, ha.

Nymerio

LOL okay, so I don't feel bad being negative about Greenlight then.

I agree with the above comment that it's cheap, half-assed outsourcing that has somehow made the game submission process even more murky and unclear.

The whole thing is lazy.

If they bothered to give the navigation and searching a modicum of user friendliness, it might be easier. But they've gone for the dumbed down, big picture, tablet mindset instead of having a page of 50 projects at once, sortable by different categories.

I think I may be the only one who actually likes the concept of greenlight. I can't deny that the execution is lacking, but I'm willing to believe that they'll improve on it.

Oh and I disagree that it makes the process even more mury and unclear. I've read of developers who tried getting on steam before greenlight that they hadn't even gotten mails back after the submitted stuff to Valve or that Valve outright said they shouldn't bother to try again because the game's not something they're looking for. So now at least we have voice in the approval process.

One of my issues early on is that while they initially said that they welcomed alpha / beta games they didn't really have any support for them -- in the form of forums (to get feedback) or even the ability to designate the state of the game as alpha and that the game was not meant to be voted on yet. I know they've added forums (discussions, whatever), have they improved anything else in regards to alpha / beta software?

Blizzard

Banned
One of my issues early on is that while they initially said that they welcomed alpha / beta games they didn't really have any support for them -- in the form of forums (to get feedback) or even the ability to designate the state of the game as alpha and that the game was not meant to be voted on yet. I know they've added forums (discussions, whatever), have they improved anything else in regards to alpha / beta software?
I think they added the concepts section, but I don't know if there is any way to get a game moved from games to concepts (maybe deleting and recreating?).

Ah cool, I see they rolled out the Concept tab -- it has been a while since I've visited Greenlight. This addresses most of my beef with lackluster support for alpha / beta projects.

I think they added the concepts section, but I don't know if there is any way to get a game moved from games to concepts (maybe deleting and recreating?).

Oh, really? I hope there is an easy way to do that. They charge for Concepts just like for Games, right? Tempted to toss up one of my two projects, to gather feedback if nothing else.

Edit: Oh! They also added a Links section on the right -- that's super. Before you had to put the link in the left among the project description and it wasn't even clickable.

DTKT

I find it very silly that finished games that are way above most of the stuff on Greenlight need to got through the same hurdles just to get on Steam.

Just look at War Thunder : link

My guess is that Valve wants nothing to do with approving games because they don't want to actually hire the stuff required to handle that kind of workload.

Brannon

I should get into this. Are there any games like Legend of Grimrock that I can vote on?

Scratch that, I should look for meself!

jediyoshi

That's why giving the right to decide which games will find its place on the digital shelf to majority is quite dangerous, because I'm sure that only the certain kind of interactive media will be chosen in this virtual agora. It's of course good idea for Steam, because they'll earn more money, knowing in advance which games will sell, but not for some more obscure and innovative ideas.

Theoretically it's all sound, but judging by how many indie games are still getting through, I've never got the sense that regardless of if greenlight existed or not, that anything would be different from the status quo. Just seems to boil down to bigger indie devs still getting out stuff on the service like they would've anyway and valve are able to take more risks with the more obscure stuff by being able to weigh the risk with tangible interest gauging.

Wok

The greenlight IGF batch will consist of at most 28 games.

1. Kentucky Route Zero
  2. Little Inferno
  3. Cart Life
  4. Hotline Miami
  5. FTL: Faster Than Light
  6. Dys4ia
  7. Gone Home
  8. Thirty Flights of Loving
  9. Starseed Pilgrim
  10. Super Hexagon
  11. 140
  12. 7 Grand Steps
  13. Spaceteam
  14. Incredipede
  15. Year Walk
  16. StarForge
  17. Perspective
  18. Intrusion 2
  19. Pixeljunk 4AM
  20. Bientôt l'été
  21. MirrorMoon
  22. Guacalamelee!
  23. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  24. LiquidSketch
  25. Samurai Gunn
  26. Super Space ______
  27. Bad Hotel
  28. VESPER.5

So 22 new games could come to Steam!

Platy

Incredipede
Kentucky Route Zero
Guacalamelee!
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Year Walk
Cart Life
Dys4ia
Gone Home
StarForge
Perspective
LiquidSketch
Samurai Gunn
Starseed Pilgrim
Super Space ______
Bad Hotel
Pixeljunk 4AM
Spaceteam
Bientot l'ete
7 Grand Steps
MirrorMoon
VESPER.5

Of course not ALL of those WILL come to steam ( Dys4ia is a 5 minute flash game ... ) but these are the finalists that are not on steam

Wok

Kentucky Route Zero is a finalist in 4 categories :
  1. Excellence In Visual Art
  2. Excellence In Narrative
  3. Excellence In Audio
  4. Seumas McNally Grand Prize

And the first act is released today!
http://kentuckyroutezero.com/

And Little Inferno in 3 categories :
  1. Technical Excellence
  2. Nuovo Award
  3. Seumas McNally Grand Prize

Blizzard

Banned
I've been looking forward to Guacamelee since practically day one, and I can only hope the ingame music will be as neat as the trailer music was. :D

batteryLeakage

Neo Member

From a consumer perspective, I think greenlight is horrible. Valve shouldn't greenlight games that aren't done or just around the corner. There are so many pie-in-the-sky games that are getting greenlit that I imagine will either never come out or be a POS when it does. Its all the "We're a small team looking to deliver an AAA MMO with all the stats and customization". All the while we see all the interesting small games that are more or less ready to go in eternal limbo. Its a shame because I was excited when I heard the concept.

From a consumer perspective, I think greenlight is horrible. Valve shouldn't greenlight games that aren't done or just around the corner. There are so many pie-in-the-sky games that are getting greenlit that I imagine will either never come out or be a POS when it does. Its all the "We're a small team looking to deliver an AAA MMO with all the stats and customization". All the while we see all the interesting small games that are more or less ready to go in eternal limbo. Its a shame because I was excited when I heard the concept.

Because at the beginning it was okay.

Then Valve changed it and even Indieteams, who already have Games on Steam, need to go through the hassle of Greenlight to get their Games on Steam...

And I can not understand why titles like Mutant Mudds or La Mulana still arent greenlighted, when worse games or "Prototypes" or Games that will come out 2014 are greenlighted...

Top Bottom