• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

I came to realize with the most recent Tomb Raider thread is that the best thing about Zombi U is that it actually dares to avoid the regenerating health system and use honest to goodness consumable health kits.

I came to realize with the most recent Tomb Raider thread is that the best thing about Zombi U is that it actually dares to avoid the regenerating health system and use honest to goodness consumable health kits.

Well really the whole game goes back to more core fundemental game design. Re-doing areas if you fail. No instant checkpoints. No health regen. Learning by progressing, progressing by learning. It's a fantastic title in that sense but today we have been so held by the hand in gaming, alot of people equate these mechanics to "game sucks".

Pretty much, but I am happy about the lack of health regen the most because it doesn't even belong in most of the games that do hold your hand if you ask me.

But yes, balancing the game around a real sense of loss and panning out the difficulty towards a larger spread of the game like older games instead of jumping from one self-contained and overly tight challenge package to the next is greatly welcome as well.

Makonero

It's a fantastic title in that sense but today we have been so held by the hand in gaming, alot of people equate these mechanics to "game sucks".

Yeah, it makes me wonder about other games people have complained about being too "hand-holdy." If the next Zelda does away with all the hand-holdy stuff, I wonder how many complaints there'd be? But I digress...

Okay, thought it was kinda cool. Fighting a pack and one gets a little too close and BAM! You're dead regardless of how much health you have. Gotta watch out for those 1-hit KOs lol

Ugh I died again!!!!!!! :( but it was my fault this time

Guy in swat gear lunged 5 feet and grabbed me and tackled me to the floor and I got infected with full health lol

Oh well, this game is addicting :D

Played atleast 20 minutes (Which is alot for me for this type of game and having to sit in front if a tv) each day and still loving it. Surprised I haven't gotten tired of being scared yet, or annoyed at having to backtrack like I do in most games. Probably because Zombies don't respawn if you go excacly where you were before each time.

Anywayz I am about nine hours in total and just had
the raven helicoper attacked by...Ravens. Wtf? It literally made me lol. The Ravens (animals) themselves have to be apart of the story. They are the only live animals besides rats who hide in sewers away from the ravens. From reading some documents, I am gonna guess that this story will literally involve angels and demons in it in some form. Don't think you'll actually fight either of these, unless zombies count as demons, but its seems to be going that angle. I also assume since for example, the doctor who knew I was even though I mever met him as my new survivor. Something tells me this may also be a virtual reality based thing that people are thrust into by a orginization preparing for the real blight which actually hasn't happened yet.

Okay, crazy speculation off.

The Tower of London was intense. From sniping zombies from a distance to having a zombie come straight out've the water to meleeing a zombie that looked normal, but ended up exploding on me. Atleast it killed itself in the progress,it looked like it somehow lived but nope! Now I'm apparantly just gonna forget about that helicopter and go get some petrol for the safe house...

I really don't know how much more I can take. The place where you first ecounter a bomb zombie was intense on its own, but everytime I reached that point really creepy music would start all of a sudden for no reason, even if there wasn't a zombie. Stop fucking with me game! STOP IT!

I know the Nursery from E3 is still up ahead. There will be the definition of creepy music. And it'll have that teleporting nurse...omg...I really don't know how much more I can take.

Guess I'll play it tomorrow. :(

Can anyone tell me how far I am in the game? I like to know how long and I usually know by looking at the table of contents from a faq on gamefaqs but there isn't one yet..

Btw: does anyone have this glitch? One of the places in the safe house item storage...thingy can't be used by an item. When I click on it, it says something like "Preserved placement" over and over again...if I run into a glitch that makes me restart the game I know that I will quit. Would never be able to do it again and I hope this glitch doesn't indicate anything. Could really use that extra slot.

Hobby

Iwata Asks: ZombiU (Japanese). I might go through it and pick out the more interesting bits later.

Edit: well here's one bit.

Xavier: ...At first we didn't even know if survival mode could be completed until just a few days before development was finished.

Iwata: Really? (laughs)

Xavier: I believe someone reached the end of the game just 2 or 3 days before it was complete. Among the debug comments for survival mode were bug reports that we had never seen before in our life as developers. "This is too hard, I can't beat it". (laughs).

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/interview/hardware/vol8/index.html

fart town usa

Gold Member
Welcome to ZombiU :)

Even on my second playthrough, I never quite feel safe.

Ha!

Ditto. During second playthrough my heart was literally beating so fast at certain parts because I knew what was about to happen.

The game is absolutely and literally terrifying. Hearing noises in the dark and knowing what is waiting for you. Intense stuff.

Jumpman23

I finished the game this weekend. What an amazing game! I am off to Survivor mode now with about an hour in so far. It is very interesting how differently you approach this version of the game since dying means game over for good. I am far more afraid of things now and I am moving much slower than I had in the previous quest. Fuck, I'm terrified of dying, lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Started Survivor Mode. Ran from the horde during the
alarm at the supermarket
, killed the entire horde during the
screamer. Flare+Molly, run under, smack as they come under. Have to watch the one spawning from the back though
and made it safely through the
raid on the Safe House
without any damage.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've got kind of a love/hate thing going on with this game at the moment.

On the one hand, I love it. It's everything I've wanted out of a modern survival horror game in that there's some actual startles and it's not just a straight up action run and gun. It's slow, it's methodical, it's actually tense because there's a sense of danger when you die.

On the other hand, I hate how fucking awful I am at this game. I haven't even gotten to Buckingham Palace and I'm on, like, my 15th survivor. I just really really suck at this game soooo much. ;_;

On the one hand, I love it. It's everything I've wanted out of a modern survival horror game in that there's some actual startles and it's not just a straight up action run and gun. It's slow, it's methodical, it's actually tense because there's a sense of danger when you die.

On the other hand, I hate how fucking awful I am at this game. I haven't even gotten to Buckingham Palace and I'm on, like, my 15th survivor. I just really really suck at this game soooo much. ;_;

I'm trying to get to Buckingham myself. On my 2nd survivor so far and playing the game in 3o to 40 minute doses a day.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Yeah that is basically me. I'm further than you and I can tell you it does seem to get a bit more manageable.

hunnies28

I just got the game and while I'm still getting used to the controls, I like it so far.

It feels like an actual game (you die, start over) when there's not that much hand holding going on.

And I'm on my 2nd survivor. I it was kinda refreshing having to die because I was the one not fast/careful enough. I like the fact that you are not an overpowered zombi(e) killer because now I have to plan my loot runs better. I had heard some bad stuff about the melee combat in this game but I think that helps the survival horror theme.

RurouniZel

I'm trying to get to Buckingham myself. On my 2nd survivor so far and playing the game in 3o to 40 minute doses a day.

It's funny, my first survivor lasted the longest, though that's probably 'cause less zombies at first. XD

Yeah that is basically me. I'm further than you and I can tell you it does seem to get a bit more manageable.

That's good to hear. I'm playing this game in small chunks 'cause I've just been too busy at work and with other stuff 'cause of the holidays. >>;

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just got the game and while I'm still getting used to the controls, I like it so far.

It feels like an actual game (you die, start over) when there's not that much hand holding going on.

And I'm on my 2nd survivor. I it was kinda refreshing having to die because I was the one not fast/careful enough. I like the fact that you are not an overpowered zombi(e) killer because now I have to plan my loot runs better. I had heard some bad stuff about the melee combat in this game but I think that helps the survival horror theme.

I love the way they implemented the melee combat for the most part. You can take on one zombie in a melee fight, but it can still be risky if you're not careful because the game makes you commit to your attacks. But two zombies and you have a problem with melee. Three zombies and you're doomed.

This game is incredible. A sequel with tighter controls and a bit more RPG elements would be even more amazing.

More interaction with the world would be my top priority. ZombiU's world is pretty fun to explore, but I wish I could pick up and use a lot of random things laying around. Or at least use my cricket bat to start bashing in windows.. or making noise, etc.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are you all using the push mechanic when handling more than one zombie? It helps a lot, especially when dealing with them in numbers.

Yeah, getting the rhythm down for push -> smack -> push -> smack helps a lot, but I almost always pull out my gun with more than one unless surprised. Way too risky, and I'm rarely low on ammo now with all the Survivor zombies giving me goodies.

So what's with the graffiti around the world? Am I able to write messages on walls and stuff similar to Demon's Souls? If so, how?

I am only 20 or so minutes into the game.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Pro Tips:

(It isn't game ruining spoilers by any means, just tips for dealing with zombies)

Sloooowly inch your way into areas. Many times you can activate the zombies one by one. Once a zombie comes towards you, back track a bit so when you hit them with the cricket bat they don't move so far forward that they activate the other zombies. In many instances you can take out zombie hordes one by one. Also, flares and grenades/molotovs are essential for crowd control in instances where scripted events throw a massive horde at you. Lastly, riot cops are invulnerable to fire. Grenades work best against them.

I love the way they implemented the melee combat for the most part. You can take on one zombie in a melee fight, but it can still be risky if you're not careful because the game makes you commit to your attacks. But two zombies and you have a problem with melee. Three zombies and you're doomed.

This is both one of the best things about the game, and one of the reasons the combat is always labels cumbersome or sloppy. The fact that you can't just swing willy nilly and don't recover quickly is often a problem for a lot of people in gaming. It's the same with games that have really meaty type movements and whatnot.

Yeah, getting the rhythm down for push -> smack -> push -> smack helps a lot, but I almost always pull out my gun with more than one unless surprised. Way too risky, and I'm rarely low on ammo now with all the Survivor zombies giving me goodies.

Unless you panic like me and just start firing without aiming :^l

fart town usa

Gold Member
So what's with the graffiti around the world? Am I able to write messages on walls and stuff similar to Demon's Souls? If so, how?

You get a can of spraypaint and have like 20 or so default "doodles"

You drag up to 6 of them in any order that you think will be beneficial and then spray paint them onto the wall.

IMO, it's pretty worthless but still neat nonetheless. It seems like a lot of people just spam nonsense for the hell of it. Not anywhere near as useful as demon's/dark souls, IMO.

I try to be helpful with pointing out where the CCTV boxes are. Those things can be extremely tricky to locate.

The messages I like the most are the ones the development team leave within the safe house. Those are pretty cool.

Later on you'll get a spray paint can (just right near the bed in your safe house inside the lockers). Press and hold A to write messages on the ground or on walls.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is both one of the best things about the game, and one of the reasons the combat is always labels cumbersome or sloppy. The fact that you can't just swing willy nilly and don't recover quickly is often a problem for a lot of people in gaming. It's the same with games that have really meaty type movements and whatnot.

Indeed, I really enjoy it. Makes me think of the people that don't understand the combat in Monster Hunter. Not that ZombiU is nearly that deep, but the committing to attack aspect is similar.

They're messages from players, but 90% are just garbage. Some are helpful and will warn you about opening a door (ie; a horde might come if you open it).. and some might point you in the direction of Junction Boxes, Weapons upgrades, etc.

fart town usa

Gold Member

I agree.

This isn't a personal attack against anyone or against a specific review but there's no other way to put it.

Some people are just plain dumb when it comes to certain games.

Just because it's in a first person perspective doesn't mean you should/can play the game like a shooter. The combat is basically Silent Hill melee in first person. Definitely deeper though and more satisfying/rewarding. (that's what she said :p)

RurouniZel

Pro Tips:

(It isn't game ruining spoilers by any means, just tips for dealing with zombies)

Sloooowly inch your way into areas. Many times you can activate the zombies one by one. Once a zombie comes towards you, back track a bit so when you hit them with the cricket bat they don't move so far forward that they activate the other zombies. In many instances you can take out zombie hordes one by one. Also, flares and grenades/molotovs are essential for crowd control in instances where scripted events throw a massive horde at you. Lastly, riot cops are invulnerable to fire. Grenades work best against them.

Ahhh, okay. That makes sense, and thanks for that last bit. I was really hating those helmet wearing mo-fos. >>

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Pro Tips:

If you do get a bunch running at you, throw a flare and they'll lose their focus on you entirely if you move far enough out of range. Then you can try the lure tactic again.

dwu8991

Banned

This is going to take getting used too !

I just hope it's not Ghost N Goblins type hard

Thug Larz

Neo Member
My god, this game is so good. I was hoping for a good launch title, and it didn't just meet those expectations, it blew them away.

Souls series + Original Resident Evil + Original Silent Hill + First Person perspective = So much win.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but as launch titles go, it's stellar.

So happy with my Wii U right now.

DocSeuss

My god, this game is so good. I was hoping for a good launch title, and it didn't just meet those expectations, it blew them away.

Souls series + Original Resident Evil + Original Silent Hill + First Person perspective = So much win.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but as launch titles go, it's stellar.

So happy with my Wii U right now.

So should this be a Game of the Year contender? Because it is pressing all the buttons of "thing I wish I had money for so I could buy."

So should this be a Game of the Year contender? Because it is pressing all the buttons of "thing I wish I had money for so I could buy."

The only games I've enjoyed this much this year are Mario U and Dark Soul: Prepare to Die.

Nintendo Land is pretty amazing in it's own right, once you get over the fact that you actually like it lol

Sanctuary

I also don't get much survival horror from it at all. It isn't really scary to me personally (I realize this is a matter of taste) but for me the "Dark Souls" style death system actually makes it less scary than say a game where you lose story progress and your items and have to reload a previous save. Since I'm using the cricket bat 90% of the time anyways, if I feel like I'm going to enter a difficult section I just shortcut back to the safe room, drop off my valuables and then suicide run until I get past it. Clearly that's a decision I'm making on how to play the game, but even looking past this system (which I'm assuming is meant to add suspense) I don't find the environments, or frankly silly looking zombies, to be scary.

On the whole it reminds me a lot of Dead Island. It's not really survival horror to me, it's just a very slow-paced FPS that has zombies in it, but it's fun.

This game is very much Survival Horror. The "Survival" aspect is due to the very limited ammo, so it definitely does not play like a typical FPS in that respect. The "Horror" of course is subjective, but it's the atmosphere and sound cues that give it that horror atmosphere. For me the "Horror" had more to do with the aiming than anything else.

The zombies themselves are actually too silly to be scary and I think they did a crappy job with the enemies in general in this game. I can't count how many zombies in the game have a near identical look either, and at least 80% of them had their heads bitten or half bashed. The worst thing about the game to me though is the loading; it feels like PSX loading, and I don't know if it's the game or the system. It's kind of ridiculous to sit through 10s loading screens just to have to wait another 8-12s at the first door you try to open right after it had just finished the previous loading.

Hopefully the game does well enough to warrant a sequel; that will be what this game should have been. It's a good game, but it's very flawed.

You get a can of spraypaint and have like 20 or so default "doodles"

You drag up to 6 of them in any order that you think will be beneficial and then spray paint them onto the wall.

IMO, it's pretty worthless but still neat nonetheless. It seems like a lot of people just spam nonsense for the hell of it. Not anywhere near as useful as demon's/dark souls, IMO.

I try to be helpful with pointing out where the CCTV boxes are. Those things can be extremely tricky to locate.

The messages I like the most are the ones the development team leave within the safe house. Those are pretty cool.

Twice I saw messages that had a home symbol. Twice they have created save points (as I like to call them) and shortcuts ;)

But yea most of it is gibberish.

Little more than halfway.

Have fun with the next missions......

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha =D
is that all? Man this game is seeming longer and longer. Dunno how much more I can take but I can't wait. I think I am due for a short break though. Or only playing t every other day or something heh.

Theres really nothing wrong with the game to me, and I always find something wrong with games. Obviousy, those game ending glitches that I've heard are worrying but besides that and
not knowing that you have to do prepper's quest first so you go ahead, looking for Dee's letters and pointlessly backtracking
the game has been outright fun. If it keeps it up, it will probably one of my all time favorite games.

Top Bottom