• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Teknoman

Fuck this game and the second screen. I get all nervous and make not-so-bad situations a hell of a lot worse because I get scared and can't navigate the touchscreen. Earlier tonight, a zombie jumped out at me and I accidentally shut off my flashlight and I couldn't turn it back on. There were five zombies on me and somehow I managed to survive after sprinting through a tight stairwell in complete darkness.

I'm pretty sure it only pings when an infected is near.

Honestly, I was annoyed to hell and back with it when it first happened, but I got used to it. Still like manual pinging better. I felt that it was one of the better uses of the pad and now it's automated.

I can't recall hearing the ping at all, unless a zombie is in range where it alerts you. Helps to just chill/explore in your environment unless there is danger...
or a rave going on.
Have to say that part of the game was unexpected but funny all the same.

You know I felt that at first it bothered me... but then either the game stopped doing the sound so much, or I got used to it. Honestly I couldn't tell you at this point. lol

Cool, so it'll feel more like the motion detector in Alien movies. Also Seven, that happened to me once, but makes the survival horror aspect that much more realistic lol.

I'm just on my way to
Buckingham Palace
and wow...this game has some good sound design. I cant think of any other game in recent memory that made falling rain sound different depending on where you were standing/what you were inside at the time. The dulling effect inside the containers just really struck a chord with me.

Don't attack.

Try and move through unseen or if you have to, try and pick them off one by one. If there's a hole to crawl in, lure them through it and one hi kill them as they get out.

Yeah try to fight as few as possible. When you get rushed, you'll have more than enough time to bust some deadheads.

I'm just on my way to
Buckingham Palace
and wow...this game has some good sound design. I cant think of any other game in recent memory that made falling rain sound different depending on where you were standing/what you were inside at the time. The dulling effect inside the containers just really struck a chord with me.

Ohhh sooo glad someone else loved this part of the game like myself. :D

another thing that makes me lol is i peek my head to see if there is anything and a zombie knows instantly im there and runs to me :/ i wasn't making any noise or having my flash light on.

i really am about to restart the game :p

Teknoman

Ohhh sooo glad someone else loved this part of the game like myself. :D

Yeah, it makes the situation feel that much more tense. Also parts with lots of infected just lying down...I never know if they are actually dead, or just havent been alerted yet. Sucks having to tiptoe around them/wade through water next to them lol. I keep expecting a jump scare...which hasnt happened...yet. I know there has to be at least one though.

Do the survivor models ever get reused? I'm assuming their most be a ton of survivors but there's got to be a limit somewhere. I'm kind of assuming names aren't reused but models might.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I think it's official, I hate this game.

I despise it with my very being. And I can't put it down.

Sweaty hands, finding a new item and going "well fuck... I'm going to miss this when I die", thinking I've cleared a room only to miss a zombie who gets me from behind.

This might be one of the best survival horror games I've ever played. And I don't even know if I'm halfway. Can't wait to see how it ends, I hope I leave a beautiful corpse.

Edit:

Do the survivor models ever get reused? I'm assuming their most be a ton of survivors but there's got to be a limit somewhere. I'm kind of assuming names aren't reused but models might.

Yeah my roomie is playing and he has a model I've used, but different "character". Probably like 50 or something to make sure you never see one twice in your playthrough

oatmeal

Banned
another thing that makes me lol is i peek my head to see if there is anything and a zombie knows instantly im there and runs to me :/ i wasn't making any noise or having my flash light on.

i really am about to restart the game :p

I haven't seen any 'cheap' AI . I've been bombarded by zombies in a couple of spots that seem like they are predetermined...but usually the prepper warns you a few seconds before it goes down.

There's been a couple of 'jump scares' going around a corner. But I have never had a zombie see me that shouldn't have. Sometimes I actually want them to so I can lure them to a spot, and I flash my light at them and they just ignore me :(

What do you guys think I'd gonna happen in Wednesday?

Also, for those that have beaten the game, what happens after? Can you load up your save back to before the last sequence or are you forced to start a new game?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm.. so I registered for Uplay, used my points to unlock the "Punk's not dead" cricket bat customization reward, but I'm not seeing any way to actually customize the bat in game.

The manual says there is supposed to be a UPlay program available on the eShop, but I haven't seen it... does anyone know if there -is- one?

IrishNinja

okay, so - i was hoping to rent this from gamefly first but that didn't work out, now ive got an opportunity to trade for it.

1) does it support the pro controller at all? ive got nothing right now that does, hah
2) how have reviews been?
3) what about GAF impressions?

i love horror games, and am open to something different. zombie stuff is hit or miss with me - i dug L4D for what it was, couldnt get into Dead Rising as much. thoughts?

okay, so - i was hoping to rent this from gamefly first but that didn't work out, now ive got an opportunity to trade for it.

1) does it support the pro controller at all? ive got nothing right now that does, hah
2) how have reviews been?
3) what about GAF impressions?

i love horror games, and am open to something different. zombie stuff is hit or miss with me - i dug L4D for what it was, couldnt get into Dead Rising as much. thoughts?

1. Nope, GamePad only.
2. Mixed bag, but form your own opinion on this one, IMO. Some reviewers just didn't get this game.
3. It's awesome, it reminds me of Dark/Demon's Souls, it's visceral and a survival horror game at its core.

Roo

1) does it support the pro controller at all? ive got nothing right now that does, hah multiplayer only
2) how have reviews been? mixed reviews, but good overall
3) what about GAF impressions? we love it :p one of the best survival horror games in recent history

give it a try, you won't be dissapointed

Sanctuary

I just hit 7th on the leaderboard and then died to the
cheap-ass "rescue" arena event
/rage

Time to go for survivor mode I guess.

Deadstar

1. Nope, GamePad only.
2. Mixed bag, but form your own opinion on this one, IMO. Some reviewers just didn't get this game.
3. It's awesome, it reminds me of Dark/Demon's Souls, it's visceral and a survival horror game at its core.

I believe the game does support pro controller but only for multiplayer. Speaking of which, has anyone played a bunch of the multiplayer? I haven't tried it yet but it sounds really interesting.

Is it worth it to register for UPlay?

kunonabi

I believe the game does support pro controller but only for multiplayer. Speaking of which, has anyone played a bunch of the multiplayer? I haven't tried it yet but it sounds really interesting.

Is it worth it to register for UPlay?

We played multiplayer for hours on friday. It's amazing. Very balanced, there is a nice ebb and flow to how the matches work, and both roles are pretty fun. I thought I would like playing the king of zombies far more than the survivor but I ended up wanting to do both. You can't customize the wiimote/nunchuk settings but they work well once you get used to them. My only beef is the King of zombies has a couple different strategies they can use but the survivor seems to have a bunch of useless weapon loadouts. We mostly played capture the flag as killing box didn't seem all that interesting.

I highly suggest playing it when you get the chance.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I died at the alarm rigged door. Took me 45 minutes to get there, haha. That's still part of the tutorial, right?

I died at the alarm rigged door. Took me 45 minutes to get there, haha. That's still part of the tutorial, right?

I died there too. So annoyed I lost my first survivor before realizing opening the door right after takes you to a new area. And I would guess the "tutorial" is all the stuff that happens in the safe house at the beginning.

So I restarted and I'm back to the end of the game, in 1/3 the time of my original play through, used less survivors this time, and hunted down all the CCTV junction boxes. I'm about to
use the Dr.'s eye to open the Queens Quarters
, should I load up my more powerful weapons and large medpacks?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I finally bought this game after hearing about the positive impressions about it. The atmosphere is great, extremely pulse pounding and suspenseful, like a good survival horror game should be. Hard as hell too. Just started the game and have already died twice.

I can see how some people are negative about the melee. After playing the Zelda game on Nintendo World, perhaps ZombieU should have used a similar power up system when you wind up for a swing to vary the level of attacks. Directional attacks would have been nice too, but then again you might need MotionPlus for that.

sammy

I picked up 5 games for my WiiU thanksgiving 4-day weekend and ZombiU is my favorite just a notch above NSMBu. Anybody on the fence with this one should give it a try, it's some kinda' rogue-like 1st person exploration experiment.
If you're a fan of Dark Souls, Tokyo Jungle, or Shiren the Wanderer you should feel right at home with this title.

ZombiU is thick with atmosphere. Though stressful you won't be dying all the time, once every hour or so if playing it safe. The game itself is just creepy and thrilling once you start sprinting back to the safe-house not knowing what's chasing you down.

Ridley327

So yeah, the Tower of London didn't go so hot for me; I lost my best survivor, got taken out just after the
helicopter crash
, and that stupid electric zombie that spawns by where you need to go after managed to kill me twice, so now my weapons are all over the place.

Feels bad, man.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Died heading into
Buckingham
this time because two zombies spawned out of the sleep bag on the ground instead of the one I was expecting. I don't think that's suppose to happen, but I guess I have to be prepared for that. :p

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm just on my way to
Buckingham Palace

BioShock 2 had a different water sound when you were passing through dripping water to make it sound like the drops were actually falling on top of your Big Daddy helmet.

BossRoss

Banned
I have encountered a game halting bug right at the end of ZombiU and I'm kinda pissed, hopefully one of you can help me out with a workaround.

*** GAME ENDING SPOILER ***

I have just finished the final encounter of ZombiU where you take the elevator up to acquire the Doctor's eye. I killed him successfully, acquired the eye, got the keypad code from the wall entered the room which requires to use C4 to enter the "Queen's Chamber". Problem is, all of a sudden it says "need c4" when I try use my c4 on the pile of rubble. I have used c4 numerous times throughout the game already and I know this is not a quantity based item, so whats the deal? Anyone else have this issue. I am at my wits end.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have encountered a game halting bug right at the end of ZombiU and I'm kinda pissed, hopefully one of you can help me out with a workaround.

*** GAME ENDING SPOILER ***

I have just finished the final encounter of ZombiU where you take the elevator up to acquire the Doctor's eye. I killed him successfully, acquired the eye, got the keypad code from the wall entered the room which requires to use C4 to enter the "Queen's Chamber". Problem is, all of a sudden it says "need c4" when I try use my c4 on the pile of rubble. I have used c4 numerous times throughout the game already and I know this is not a quantity based item, so whats the deal? Anyone else have this issue. I am at my wits end.

You don't need the item you're referencing. All it does is give you a
handgun upgrade and a random item
(you can scan through the debris to see what's in that room). The specific item you need is limited. I think you get 5 initially but it is possible to find more. On my first playthrough I was able to open access that area but I wasn't able to on my second playthrough. It might be a risk/reward type thing. Maybe you can't get into them all and some might be better than others. It definitely isn't required to beat the game though.

BossRoss

Banned
You don't need the item you're referencing. All it does is give you a
handgun upgrade and a random item
(you can scan through the debris to see what's in that room). The specific item you need is limited. I think you get 5 initially but it is possible to find more. On my first playthrough I was able to open access that area but I wasn't able to on my second playthrough. It might be a risk/reward type thing. Maybe you can't get into them all and some might be better than others. It definitely isn't required to beat the game though.

Thank you for the reply:

I was under the assumption that the Queen's Chamber was behind that wall, because after leaving that room behind, I crawled through the duct that led to the kitchen, I slaughtered all 5 zombies in there and it simply led me to a sewer. When I looked at the overhead travel map it still shows my objective on the current map, but I will take a closer look tonight when I get home.

Just beat Normal Mode!

Went through 21 survivors apparently (after a couple of restarts to redo early game).

I can remember most of the various ways I've died (spoilers for the entire game):

Constantly whacking exploding blighters with my cricket bat, which resulted in probably 50% of my deaths.

Walking into my own mine.

Getting hit by a fast zombie when not at full health.

Bunch of deaths in Arena and Safe House defense.

Exploring the broken attics in London Tower and accidentally backing into a long drop I couldn't survive.

Accidentally pressing the scanner button.

I would say that the game is less Survival Horror for me and closer to a first person version of Lemmings.

Amneisac

My quick impression for what it's worth:

Overall I'm enjoying the game, but I do think some of the common criticisms are valid. Melee combat isn't exciting or interesting in any way. I would love to be able to target other body parts or be able to sneak up on zombies and one-shot them if they were unaware of my presence. I think Dead Island / Condemned / Xeno Clash / Dark Messiah / Fallout 3, pretty much any other FPS melee game has done it better, which is disappointing since it's such a huge focus of the game.

It NEEDS some kind of proper stealth mechanic. Even if you can't outright avoid combat I would like to be able to sneak up on some of the more oblivious zombies and take them out quickly and quietly.

I also don't get much survival horror from it at all. It isn't really scary to me personally (I realize this is a matter of taste) but for me the "Dark Souls" style death system actually makes it less scary than say a game where you lose story progress and your items and have to reload a previous save. Since I'm using the cricket bat 90% of the time anyways, if I feel like I'm going to enter a difficult section I just shortcut back to the safe room, drop off my valuables and then suicide run until I get past it. Clearly that's a decision I'm making on how to play the game, but even looking past this system (which I'm assuming is meant to add suspense) I don't find the environments, or frankly silly looking zombies, to be scary.

Also, I started a thread (that got closed because for some reason this game always ignites a firestorm and people wouldn't quit shitting up the thread) about how I was experiencing what I called input lag. I feel like it might not be true input lag, but just laggy aiming. It's present in single player and multiplayer even using the IR pointer in multiplayer mode. I never really like this kind of design decision because it makes the game more frustrating than difficult.

With all these negatives out of the way, I actually enjoy a lot about the game. I think the use of the gamepad is pretty awesome (except for aiming with it, I think that was a poor design choice and I'd like to be able to toggle that off). I really don't think the graphics hinder the experience at all, and I actually like the lighting effects and some of the environments. I have definitely enjoyed it and I'll beat it for sure (which is actually pretty rare for me nowadays) and I would recommend it, but I really hate to see how close it is to being a truly great game and just falls short.

On the whole it reminds me a lot of Dead Island. It's not really survival horror to me, it's just a very slow-paced FPS that has zombies in it, but it's fun.

Hero

So last night I was playing and was in an area where I couldn't go back to a safe room yet and had a sliver of health. Used my scanner to check if there were any health packs and noticed some crows. I shot one wondering if it would drop animal meat, which it did. I know it's risky but I decided it was do or die anyway. Totally killed me. :(

I had the mission to get the
medicine for Vikrama at the kindergarten (or maybe it was school)
and went
down through the floor to the basement
Holy shit!!! The atmosphere is just crazy down there, I almost shit myself lol Really fantastic game thus far, I hope Ubi is thinking about the sequel.

Oh man, I just went through this part last night and pretty much felt the same way.

As soon as I found the medicine I was like "alright well here comes an event as soon as I press X" and then you fall down into the basement and I'm like "oh fuck this." So intense and creepy, loved that part.

Crom

Damn,

Even though this game has some faults it is the most fun I have had with a game in a long time.

I can't believe how many reviewers got this one wrong.

I love how it makes you proceed with caution and the tension that it makes you feel.

I have put 12 hours into it so far and am loving it.

Really great game. I am pleasantly surprised.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kotaku Review

ZombiU invites comparisons to Demon's Souls, a game from which it has cribbed. It invites comparisons to Resident Evil a series it does better modernizing than recent Resident Evils. But the best comparison for ZombiU might be the first, maligned Assassin's Creed. Like Assassin's Creed it brings us something fresh from Ubisoft. It updates old and recent ideas and turns them into something of its own. It avoids the crutches of many modern games and doesn't provide its pleasure through narrowed, canned moments. It instead presents a system of life and death. It screams that it is a game, that it is meant to be played and that the best experiences you'll have with it are from the stories you craft from the way you play. It will hopefully be the blueprint for an even better game, but it stands well on its own.

Top Bottom