• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Newer PSP thread of Excellent Games (Troll somewhere else you bastards.)

comrade

Wow some of those games look really impressive. Syphon Filter looks awesome. Guilty Gear also looks sweet. I loved the 2d side-scrolling bit in Isuka.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The problem with Mach is that it's always described as short on content, yet it retails for $40.

Odrion

Banned
Dungeon Siege is a very enjoyable Hack N' Slash!
emot-argh.gif

It balances the loot very nicely (and they have multiple colors indicating the quality like WoW), and I really liked the leveling and minion system. The maps don't feel like randomly generated trash and it's graphically much more complete than the two Untold Legends. The only problem I had with the game was that the Warrior character is ****ing huge and takes up a lot of the screen.

ram

kaching said:
The problem with Mach is that it's always described as short on content, yet it retails for $40.

but at least it is enjoyable - after burner is not enjoyable and its short on content, yet it retails at 50 €

and no, i couldnt enjoy dungeon siege - i mean, come on, after a few minutes everything respawned even the levelbosses - which were just normal cratures with other stats. the game fails on so many levels for instance at the story too! i couldnt get the **** out of it, because you get infos in your ingame book for every location, but not on the story fragment, you could find through out the game. with a timeline with more than thousand years, i doulnd figure the past of arianna out. and i am sure, i am not the only one...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nice thread! Didn't we have an almost identical one not too long ago though?

Anywho, this was a notable PSP week for me because I picked up THREE games for it. Gitaroo Man Lives, Valhalla Knights, and Legend of Heroes III.

Mejilan

You should have bought it right away. It launched at a promotional price of $20 at EB/GS, for a week, perhaps two, before jumping back to the usual $30.

I've only played it off my memory stick with a 333mhz-locked PSP. And since that tends to iron out unfortunate wrinkles in many PSP games (such as nasty loads and/or framerate dips), I can't really tell you how it runs on most systems, but I never had a problem with how the game performed.

Tanukid

Tempted to get a PSP this year, but with the all the rumors about a re-design in the works; has me holding off a purchase. Though the re-design might cripple any chance of using any home brew apps.

Decisions, decisions. :(

Mejilan

Just did the tutorial for Gitaroo Man. Holy **** this game is awesome. I knew I should have played the PS2 game when I got it long ago!!!

SilvaHalo

Banned
I almost snagged Outrun today, Gamecrazy has it for 9.99 new but the damned clerk was too involved trying to pimp that damned MVP card to some grandma type that I ran out of time before I had to get to work, I've been on a spree lately and plan on headin down to another GC on my dinner break for outrun and probably MegaMan X, I'd really like the Capcom collections but I cant find either fer shit!

All good recommendations with the exception of Smackdown vs. Raw.

Doesn't that game have ridiculously long load times? I'm talking like 5 minutes.

Also I'm probably in an extreme minority (even here on GAF) but I rather enjoyed WTF. It has a very quirky sense of humor. Sure it's frustrating to spend like 20 minutes putting caps on pens, only to get a mahjong tile piece or a rubber stamp trinket from the vending machines, but that's part of its charm.

I 2nd Gitarooman lives! For some reason, it seems easier to control on the psp than the ps2 for me.

Pewp

I recommend WTF: Work Time Fun.

Such a fun addictable game and its only $20! (I got mine $10 used)

Ryu1999

Tanukid said:
Tempted to get a PSP this year, but with the all the rumors about a re-design in the works; has me holding off a purchase. Though the re-design might cripple any chance of using any home brew apps.

Decisions, decisions. :(

Homebrew is worth any inconvenience due to a re-design....unless they decide to use a dual (single) shock analog stick instead of the nub

itschris

I got a PSP recently - EB had a deal where you could get a PSP if you traded in 8 games. There was also a simultaneous deal to get 1 free game with the purhcase of a PSP (out of a list of 5 or so), so I chose Daxter. So far I have Daxter, Mercury Meltdown, Wipeout Pure, and Mega Man Powered Up, and it's great so far. :D My PSP came with 2.5 firmware, so I was able to downgrade to 1.5 and install 3.40 OE - the PSP homebrew scene is really impressive!

I'm planning on getting 2 games from this list next:

Hot Shots Golf
Lumines II
GTA: VCS
UG&G
Lemmings
Grip Shift
Me and my Katamari
Crush

vdo

I have to chime in that I like this thread as well.

I was not even considering PSP until recently (PS3 interaction sounds interesting) and am curious as to what the redesign will look like. But I had only had my eye on a few games. But seeing this list has really opened my eyes into how much PSP has. I always hear about it not having that many good games, but a lot of the ones listed really interest me and if they really do have good gameplay, then just what is there is quite an impressive library to me (If a library has enough quality over quantity, that is what I look for anyway).

Mejilan said:
You should have bought it right away. It launched at a promotional price of $20 at EB/GS, for a week, perhaps two, before jumping back to the usual $30.

I've only played it off my memory stick with a 333mhz-locked PSP. And since that tends to iron out unfortunate wrinkles in many PSP games (such as nasty loads and/or framerate dips), I can't really tell you how it runs on most systems, but I never had a problem with how the game performed.

how do you do 333mhz? I have 3.40 oe if you needed it.

and I just started to play Crush, awesome game, I also bought Gurumin just because I plan on playing only PSP for a week.

Is there a grip for the PSP? nvm, I found these 2

802484b.jpg

or
802155b.jpg

anyone have them? are they any good?

Metal Gear Portable Ops and GTA on the go...

Those games alone justify getting a PSP. Throw in all those nifty media functions (and browser) and I don't see why *everyone* doesn't want one...

I really like the RSS and playstation.com area... Really makes the PSP worthwhile at hotspots...

(Additionally the PS3 connectivity and the coming online store are awesome)

man that is a great lineup of games. Sometimes its easy to forget because of the general "public" perception of the system and the gaps in time between releases

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Linkzg said:

Hold R when turning the system on to go into recovery mode. Choose the system speed for UMDs and XMB, and make them both 333mhz. Done.

Makes games like the already HOLY CRAP AMAZINGLY PORTED EXCELLENT Outrun 2006 so much better. And games like Tomb Raider Legend far, FAR more playable.

Mejilan

Linkzg said:

Through 3.40 OE-A's recovery console, of course. Hold R as you're booting up the PSP, and fiddle with the menus there.

Lyte Edge said:
Hold R when turning the system on to go into recovery mode. Choose the system speed for UMDs and XMB, and make them both 333mhz. Done.

Makes games like the already HOLY CRAP AMAZINGLY PORTED EXCELLENT Outrun 2006 so much better. And games like Tomb Raider Legend far, FAR more playable.

how bad does it mess up battery life?

Mejilan

I use the expanded battery anyway, but to be honest, since the UMD drive is almost never accessed, you kinda get back some, if not all, of the extra juice taken up by the processor.

Mejilan

Indeed it does. It's just sorely lacking in truly quality RPGs, a glaring oversight, IMHO.

Mejilan

Welp, they'll get there. Brave Story looks great. I'm hoping that Valhalla Knights (also seemingly impossible to find these days, but I ordered one from BB online and should be here any day) will turn out to be a sleeper hit for me.

Mejilan said:
I use the expanded battery anyway, but to be honest, since the UMD drive is almost never accessed, you kinda get back some, if not all, of the extra juice taken up by the processor.

what do you mean by it doesnt use the UMD drive?

Mejilan

I run my PSP games off the mem stick. Severely cuts back on loads, much like running the PSP in 333mhz mode seriously stabilizes framerates (in some games).

Mejilan said:
I run my PSP games off the mem stick. Severely cuts back on loads, much like running the PSP in 333mhz mode seriously stabilizes framerates (in some games).

how do you do this? I might go back and play midnight club 3 if load times are better.

kenta

Has no PEINS
kaching said:
This is the exact reason I'm waiting to get Mach. It looks like a really fun game but I can't justify $40 on something that shallow.

And from what I've read of the reviews, that lack of content is what's giving it those low scores, the game itself sounds pretty solid. So I'll see you at $20, Mach

Odrion

Banned
Just going to go ahead and bring some more attention to this topic due to all the PSP Lite information coming out of the woodwork.

The PSP grips up there are really cool looking actually, anyone have those?

Odrion said:
Just going to go ahead and bring some more attention to this topic due to all the PSP Lite information coming out of the woodwork.

The PSP grips up there are really cool looking actually, anyone have those?

I bought the charge grip because now that im using the PSP in 333 mode, I need extra battery, so why not. They are pretty good, but using L/R buttons with it is the most awkward thing ever, but atleast I can play my PSP for a long time, usually I only play bits at time, yesterday I played for 3 hours straight.

Awesome thread that will send me shopping.

Also: not sure if it's permanent or not, but I got Daxter for $15 at Best Buy last week.

Mejilan

I second (or third) the Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony bump. It's by far the best hack 'n slash on the PSP.

Linkzg said:
I am on 3.40 OE, so yes.

What exactly do you need help with? Running in 333mhz mode, or running your PSP games off mem stick?

Ranger X

itschris said:
I'm planning on getting 2 games from this list next:

Hot Shots Golf
Lumines II
GTA: VCS
UG&G
Lemmings
Grip Shift
Me and my Katamari
Crush

Secure the bolded before you can't buy them anymore.

Kingpen

I just added Metal Gear Portable Ops and Ace Combat X to my library of Tekken, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Def Jam FFNY, Lumines 2 and GTA: VCS..
I got them and command and conquer 3 (360) for 75 bucks with the Buy 2 get 1 Free sale.

I liked the Acid games as well, but am wondering how this version of metal gear holds up.

Also, how do you guys like Ace Combat on the PSP?

Farmboy

I second the recommendations for the Konami collections. Also, I have to mention my latest 'guilty pleasure': Diner Dash. It's stupidly addictive. Yes, it looks like a mobile phone game and plays like a Game & Watch game, but I swear you won't be able to put it down. Costs less than 20 bucks, too, in most places.

Fady K

Recently picked up Crush for my PSP. Guys, do not miss out on this game. Its unique, addictive, and one of the best puzzle games ever. Musics pretty catchy too. Its already hard to find so snap it up while you still can.

Mejilan, regarding RPGs, I bought Gurumin a while back and its quite interesting. Check it out, pretty cool and cute RPG. Really fun too.

Vyer

Mejilan said:

What size memory stick are you using?

SOLDIER

Great thread, but could you update the first page with review scores for each title, perhaps from gameratings?

I truly feel that the PSP will see a significant boost in popularity when the slim version comes out. For me, the reason I haven't used my system as much has to do with the way it's structured; I get afraid to take it to public places for fear of it getting damaged (I do have the logitech case, but you still have to take the system out to play it). A redesigned PSP with a stronger outer shell and far longer battery life fully justifies a 2nd purchase from me. And there's still plenty of time for the PSP to rise up in popularity, since no other portable system can match its horsepower as of yet.

I've been looking into purchasing more games, and I recently bought Metal Gear Ac!d 2 for a cool 10 bucks from blockbuster. It's a far cry superior to the first game, but it didn't come with the 3D glasses. Is there a place online where I can buy the glasses seperately?

And I really want to get Portable Ops, but I've heard so little about it. Just how much of MGS3 were they able to emulate?

Mejilan said:
Anywho, this was a notable PSP week for me because I picked up THREE games for it. Gitaroo Man Lives, Valhalla Knights, and Legend of Heroes III.

Please play through this game. It has it's issues but it's a pleasent enough title and ever since I beat it I've hated how there's no one to talk about it with as it sold so horribly.

Top Bottom