• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are announced way too early

SeanR1221

Nah I hate the super early reveal.

Lately, Nintendo has been killin it with quick reveal to release. More developers should take note.

cireza

Final fantasy 7 remake and shenmue 3 were the two standouts from the sony e3 2015 conference in terms of surprise . When these two games were announced people went insane with hype with hundreds of youtube videos being posted that showed people screaming their heads off or being reduced to tears . Recently we learned ff7r is just starting development so the game probably won't even be out until 2019 if we're lucky. As for shenmue 3 there was never even a release date set, so I think it's safe to say that we won't be seeing that anytime soon either.
This has been so ridiculous in fact. It was obvious back then that the games would take many years before being released...

I dislike it when game are announced too early. I will probably forget about them and won't even want them anymore when they are eventually released.

For me, you can tease a game at a moment. Then, during the following year, you show gameplay of the game. And it gets released afterwards, so maximum 2 years after the first teaser.

But the best situation is less than a year between unveiling and release.

Mokujin

Both FF13v/15 and FF7 can't really be labeled as announced too early, they should be labeled as 'Games in development hell' or 'Games whose development teams are a mess productivity wise'

Three

MS has tried to only show games that comes out within a year but it just doesn't work, they can't compete with Sony that way. It'll be interesting to see their strategy for the Scorpio showcase.

What complete hogwash this is. They show games that don't even come out at all let alone in 3 years.

Sillverrr

Any game that doesn't release within a year. Edit: Fallout 4 (not Far Cry; my bad) managed it perfectly. A few months before launch: means I'll probably still be alive to experience it.

Anything further out, I don't bother following it past the initial statement/trailer. Like, I'm sure Read Dead Redemption 2 is going to be worth at least one playthrough (even if online will be their longer focus), but it's still a year out. I'll look up any new media NEXT year.

Masagiwa

My concern with games being announced very early is that the games development schedule is so long that it will end up costing tons of money and resources. On top of that devs/directors/producers needs to stay motivated to work on a single product for a long time. But yeah for fans/consumers it sucks to have to wait so long for their favorite game/franchise.

FF VERSUS XIII/ FFXV was what announced a decade before it came out? In the end I was very happy to see that FFXV sold over 6m copies even if the game just broke even at a staggering 5m copies. Cause sales is basically the variable that determines the future of a franchise, and I don't want to see any good franchise die.

cyberpunk2077.jpg

This was not really for fans of CDPR but more a recruitment drive to get new talent on board for the project.
I can let it slide. I mean they were like fully focused on TW3 at the time.

Mass Effect Andromeda has been announced too early.

Needed a lot longer in the oven. Years longer.

This is the one for me as well actually.
I mean the whole reveal was absolutely bizarre, not even a CGI trailer, just a dev diary! Errrm wat.

And then years and years of silence, only to receive a largely under-cooked & underwhelming franchise entry.

The game should've been revealed in 2016 with a release later this year during Christmas once they'd polished it to hell and back without any fan pressure the years prior.

RPGam3r

For me there is no such thing as announcing a game too early as long as it is going to actually be released.

I have no issue waiting for the games to be completed.

XandBosch

I don't really mind games being announced early. What's all the secrecy for anyway? As long as we have games constantly coming out, who cares if we know far in advance? Sure it's awesome when we hear about a game and then hear it's just around the corner, but in the grand scheme of things what difference does it make?

Laplasakos

Final Fantasy XII (Announced in 2000 came out 2006)
Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Announced in 2006 came out never/or in 2016 as FFXV)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Announced in 2013, coming out ?)
Agent (Announced in 2009, came out never?)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Announced in 2012, coming out ?)
Resident Evil PSP (Announced in 2009, never came out)
Devil May Cry PSP (Announced in 2003, never came out)
Bioshock VITA (Announced in 2011, never came out)

We will see about FFVIIR. If it makes it next year or by early 2019 then it's good in my book. I mean it will be earlier than the games i just listed.

RPGam3r

My concern with games being announced very early is that the games development schedule is so long that it will end up costing tons of money and resources. On top of that devs/directors/producers needs to stay motivated to work on a single product for a long time...

A game being announced early doesn't change what you mentioned. It will still take a lot of resources, and the people working on the project will still need to focus on it for multiple years.

Valahart

Death Stranding.

Sony has this horrible tendency to announce everything they possibly can on E3. Even if it's 5+ years away.

If you are not anticipating a release of your game within two years from its announcement, that's when - based on my own arbitrary cutoff point - it's too early for me. You want to build up that hype momentum? A two year window is perfectly reasonable enough a time frame to do that.

The worst way to go about it is what Square Enix have masterfully perfected over the years that I'm starting to suspect that Kojima has also picked up with Death Stranding. That is, to announce the game practically as soon as the ink on the napkin detailing all these weird and wonderful ideas has barely dried.

Masagiwa

A game being announced early doesn't change what you mentioned. It will still take a lot of resources, and the people working on the project will still need to focus on it for multiple years.

No your right, its more that I associate the word "early" (which is subjective) with a game that will be in development for a very long time. Cause 3-4 years isn't that the norm nowadays for AAA games.

Some Nobody

I don't really mind games being announced early. What's all the secrecy for anyway? As long as we have games constantly coming out, who cares if we know far in advance? Sure it's awesome when we hear about a game and then hear it's just around the corner, but in the grand scheme of things what difference does it make?

The closer a game is to release, the less likely devs are to show you something they can't do. A feature, FPS, whatever. If a game is two years out, anything's possible. If a game is six months? That's probably exactly the game you're buying.

Jingo

I dont know if some games are announced early to test the waters, see the audience response and interest over some time, can you imagine a new game being almost done when announced and people dont like it? Theres too much money involved.

Other than that i hate super soon reveals on existing franchises, last of us 2 as announced why? In the ignorance we had nothing to hope for , now we have like 4 years of waiting pain.

Brand new IPs I have less of issue with early announcements especially if it's just a concep trailer. I do dislike when a giant company announces a game in a pre-existing franchise and then takes forever to develop it.

Majmun

Death Stranding.

Sony has this horrible tendency to announce everything they possibly can on E3. Even if it's 5+ years away.

They did a great job with Bloodborne, though. Announced E3 2014, came out march 2015.

But yeah, most of their titles get announced way too early.

Frodo

SE: the thread.
Sony console announcement games reveal: the thread.
Scalebound: the thread. :(

Nah I hate the super early reveal.

Lately, Nintendo has been killin it with quick reveal to release. More developers should take note.

I like Nintendo's strategy of announcing a game a few months before the release, but they really messed it up with BotW.

neoism

Regardless of what you thought of the game, it's a good counter example to the topic. It was in development for over 4 years, but announced a mere six months before it was released, to its announced release date, and went on to see massive sales (and strong critical praise).

I didn't like the game, but they did work on it for a long time and then have a very short announce -> release window. They could easily have announced it a few years earlier, but held off.

yep this is how to annouce a game... i still enjoyed f4 but it was a little disappointing...
i was on ps4 and they just made me wait to long for console mods... wish my pc could play it max. i had soo much fun moding skyrim lol it was a game in its self.

Kyuur

None of them.

I don't mind them announcing a game 10 years in advance. The media ramp-up before release reminds me it exists anyways.

ianpm31

Shenmue 3 needed to be announced early because it needed funding to go in-development. It's only been 2 years since it has been announced and everybody should have known the Dec 2017 release date was never going to happen. Not announcing Shenmue 3 = never becoming a reality (kickstarter title)

mhayes86

The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII/FFXV. They're the two games that I can think of that I have been following since their announcement, and their absence was mentioned at just about every gaming expo between then and their release, so you never forgot about their possible existence.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

AKA: SMT X Fire Emblem. They didn't even know what the game was when it was announced.

Ended up being a pretty good game tho, so not bad. Although people were upset that it became something they were not expecting. Understandable to be honest

I think this is actually a good rule for deciding when an announcement is too early: when you don't know or are not ready to say what kind of game it is going to be, don't announce the game. I'm not bothered by things like, "hey, we're working on a new Zelda, and here's some key art" or "KH3 is coming *sotto voce* by the time your newborn enters kindergarten, we hope." Players should be able to manage their expectations about release dates at this point, and the good of knowing that x game is in development (instead of having to cry, "is Metroid dead?") counterbalances the annoyance of delays. With something like SMT X Fire Emblem, on the other hand, I'm not sure the excitement about the possibilities is worth the expectations (however unreasonable) players are sure to build up.

StoveOven

Banned
I'm going to echo the people saying none of them. I like to know what games are in development, how a game changes over time, and what games get cancelled. The idea that we as consumers should be asking for less information about what's in development is really strange.

jcjimher

Maybe we are too sensitive about this question. Don't Pixar announce their movies like 5 or 6 years in advance? Didn't we know a new Star Wars trilogy would release like 5 or 6 years before the last movie?

Auctopus

It was a casting call for talent to come work on the game. Sure, it was an announcement of sorts but the existence of the trailer should have shown people that it was super early in pre-production. I mean, they were about to ramp up Witcher 3 marketing shortly after this.

Moreover, CD Projekt Red have been very honest about the progress of the game, even saying that we won't hear anything this year as they're dedicated to Gwent in terms of marketing.

I rather be surprised by a early announcement by the Devs instead of it being leaked announced by someone looking for cudos or 5 seconds of Internet fame. Early announcements isn't bad as long as they don't constantly show it off at every E3 or give a release date only to push it back 5 or 6 times.

I enjoy leaks though.

Fredrik

What complete hogwash this is. They show games that don't even come out at all let alone in 3 years.
The cancelation is crap of course but iirc they tried one year to only show the games that came out that year. Not sure when that was though. Bad idea anyway, only make the upcoming games list seem lackluster in comparison.

Greedings

Pretty much everything IMO.

Don't tell me about it if I can't buy it in a week or so. I lose all interest over time.

Frodo

I'm going to echo the people saying none of them. I like to know what games are in development, how a game changes over time, and what games get cancelled. The idea that we as consumers should be asking for less information about what's in development is really strange.

Unless we are talking about companies hyping up their consoles with games that are never going to be released, or will be released to another platform but not the one it was originally announced for.

StoveOven

Banned
Unless we are talking about companies hyping up their consoles with games that are never going to be released, or will be released to another platform but not the one it was originally announced for.

I mean, don't buy a console based on future promise. Buy one based on what's currently there. Because even if those games do come out, it's possible that they'll be complete shit.

Alastor3

No games are announced too early.

All there are is games that mismanage their marketing opportunities to maximise success.

In a perfect world, I'd love to know what my favourite developers are working on immediately after their last game.
I like your reasoning.

dezzy8

Shenmue 3 is a kickstarter project. They needed to announce it to gain funding.

All of Square's RPGs are announced too early. They announce a game and then you wait 5 years for them to release some trash.

Top Bottom