• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MARIO + RABBIDS: Kingdom Battle |OT| XCOM on mushrooms

Anyone know which version of the OS this game card requires? Trying to stick to 3.0 for homebrew possibilities, but getting this game physically, so want to see what the deal is there.

mStudios

Please someone answer me this question:

Are there any unlock able characters? or is it just amrio, luigi and peach?

This thread needs some screenshots. These are taken during handheld mode:

kdsk6.jpg
aes8u.jpg
3zs83.jpg
k0swm.jpg

I finished World 1 last night. Such a great game. You guys are in for a treat!

What's the most surreal sequence of events people have encountered with this game (e.g. mario sliding into cover before calling for luigi to snipe a turret operator)?

This thread needs some screenshots. These are taken during handheld mode:

kdsk6.jpg
aes8u.jpg
3zs83.jpg
k0swm.jpg

I finished World 1 last night. Such a great game. You guys are in for a treat!

Wow! Looks way better than I expected!

How did they achieve such good IQ? Switch games tend to have bad IQ. Is this running on AC's Anvil engine?

Neiteio

What's the most surreal sequence of events people have encountered with this game (e.g. mario sliding into cover before calling for luigi to snipe a turret operator)?
Most surreal scene? Definitely the one where
a balaclava-clad Mario interrogates a Rabbid by putting clamps on its nipples hooked up to a car battery and administering a shock while Luigi does the good cop/bad cop routine... The Rabbid, of course, finds this pleasurable.

tesqui

Kind of want this, but don't know if I'll like the Xcom gameplay. I remember quitting Enemy Unknown because it got too hard for me. Does this game get as difficult as those games?

Amazon says it's supposed to be here tomorrow but it still hasn't shipped.

Fucking Amazon.
Only reason I've kept my Amazon preorder active is so I can try to get it price matched by Walmart tomorrow. I'm moving, and when I changed my address they just decided I wasn't getting it until the 31st, which is insane. I realize it's the epitome of first world problems, but I want my game.

Steiner

Banned
I took a few screenshots to show off the fantastic lighting in this game. The lighting and real-time shadows are truly impressive. Snowdrop is doing some work. Check out the party's shadows cast on the barrel over to the right. I noticed them when I ran by and had to go back to capture a screen:
ayZVKgy.jpg

Notice the floating candles casting a gentle, dynamic glow on the house. At a different angle they glow against that blue pipe. They even cast shadows on each other:
xDv4XxK.jpg

As the candles float in and out of the pipe, their light is cast in and out as well. Also note the ripples in the carpet, which for some reason just blew me away. The attention to details is so great.
rTyL086.jpg

A few different sources of glowing light here:
pMMML8I.jpg

These Shy Guy bookcases are AMAZING. This is a DIY project for the future. I will have one of these in my house:
VH5CYHu.jpg

Got a bit of a Dark Souls vibe seeing this ghost town (pun intended) sprawled below:
XgvMhRs.jpg

Celebrating a few more long shadows as summer winds down in Tennessee and it begins to cool off here:
aruOq2N.jpg

This simple little stretch, which 99% of you will run STRAIGHT past on the way to your next battle, froze me in my tracks. The colors and frosty-fruity environmental details just took me straight back to my childhood. This picture is comforting to me for some reason:
nCbHUcA.jpg

One more for the road. One of my favorite things in Mario games are those pill-shaped, multi-colored hills. I assume they're hills, anyway. I loved the way they were rendered in Captain Toad, and I love the way they're rendered here:
58VhmFr.jpg

zokie

i am not sure why but looking at the screenshots , the snowdrop engine is giving me a super mario rpg remake on switch vibes

Been playing for the last 30min, the art style is absolutely gorgeous, really shines on handheld mode.

I bloody love the music and general vibe (characters etc) massive Banjo feel (which I adore).

Can't wait to play this lying in bad with the Switch propped up on my chest and my arms lying at my side, joycons in hand. Maximum lethargy turn-based gaming achieved

Wamb0wneD

it's 3 am here and i seriously need to go to sleep lol. Managed to get perfect on everyting including the mid boss, even though I screwed up and gave a turn away before attacking with everybody. Am I playing on easy or something without knowing?

Mad fun anyway. This game is so good.

Hazu

I don't own the game yet but wow, this game looks beautiful! Really hope there is a stage in the next Smash from this game. :)

Neiteio

it's 3 am here and i seriously need to go to sleep lol. Managed to get perfect on everyting including the mid boss, even though I screwed up and gave a turn away before attacking with everybody. Am I playing on easy or something without knowing?

Mad fun anyway. This game is so good.
Who is your favorite Rabbid so far?

Most surreal scene? Definitely the one where
a balaclava-clad Mario interrogates a Rabbid by putting clamps on its nipples hooked up to a car battery and administering a shock while Luigi does the good cop/bad cop routine... The Rabbid, of course, finds this pleasurable.

What?

WHAT

Neiteio

I don't own the game yet but wow, this game looks beautiful! Really hope there is a stage in the next Smash from this game. :)
Speaking of Smash, perhaps the Rabbids deserve a third-party guest slot now? Maybe all four hero Rabbids in some sort of bizarre quartet

It'd be odd because it'd be a third-party guest character that references a first-party IP... but Sakurai's all about breaking da rulez

Neiteio

I was looking forward to getting this game when I buy a switch, but then I saw this
https://twitter.com/LuigiOdyssey/status/902237227715059712
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sneak in a
fidget spinner
Why ubisoft, I was sold on a hecking Rabbits game but you always have to ad you crap in there.
Part of you died inside watching that... but then something dark and sinister infiltrated your soul and filled the hole left by the part that died

Secretly... you like it

Neiteio

Peach Rabbid for sure because Peach Rabbid.
Also I looked into the skill trees and find group healing better than self healing. :p

Yours?
Yeah, Rabbid Peach is the one whose design/personality I like the most, but I haven't played the game yet so I'm only going off pre-release media. I do find myself liking the other three the more I see of them. Rabbid Mario is especially growing on me, but there's also something adorable about Rabbid Luigi's oversized shirt and Rabbid Yoshi's crazy eyes.

Wamb0wneD

Yeah, Rabbid Peach is the one whose design/personality I like the most, but I haven't played the game yet so I'm only going off pre-release media. I do find myself liking the other three the more I see of them. Rabbid Mario is especially growing on me, but there's also something adorable about Rabbid Luigi's oversized shirt and Rabbid Yoshi's crazy eyes.

Didn't get to Rabbid Yoshi and Mario yet. I really wish there was a 4th slot....Anyway man hope you get the game soon and that you have as much fun as I do. The icon isn't an eyesore either but I guess you already noticed that lmao. Gotta go to sleep now.

Edit:
I was looking forward to getting this game when I buy a switch, but then I saw this
https://twitter.com/LuigiOdyssey/status/902237227715059712
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sneak in a
fidget spinner
Why ubisoft, I was sold on a hecking Rabbits game but you always have to ad you crap in there.

Hahaha I wish he'd do more of a chill one instead of that minecon-dab.

Neiteio

Didn't get to Rabbid Yoshi and Mario yet. I really wish there was a 4th slot....Anyway man hope you get the game soon and that you have as much fun as I do. The icon isn't an eyesore either but I guess you already noticed that lmao. Gotta go to sleep now.
Thanks! I'm trying to get my stories done early so I can dive into the game tonight. :-D

Steiner

Banned

Rabbid Mario is hilarious because of how UN-rabbid like he is. He's just this total alpha male boss-tank with explosives and shields. Zero fucks given. Straight-faced brawler.

Neiteio

This game looks so good, refreshing and creative.

My only concern is difficulty, I hope it's tough.
A lot of XCOM vets have said it gets -very- challenging. The first half of the first world is a snore, but after that the challenge starts ramping up considerably. The steep level of challenge has been a recurring observation in the reviews so far.

Top Bottom