• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MARIO + RABBIDS: Kingdom Battle |OT| XCOM on mushrooms

Neiteio

I finished Uncharted: The Lost Legacy just in time. Can’t wait to get my hands on this tomorrow!
My plan was to do the same, but my copy of Lost Legacy got delayed shipping via Amazon from Texas... probably due to the hurricane, so I'm not going to complain... but now that it's arrived later, I'll start Rabbids first.

You enjoyed Lost Legacy though, right? It looks really good.

Strings

Enjoying this enough... But it feels kind of bland personality-wise. Wish they'd adopted more of a Mario-RPG style.

I took a few screenshots to show off the fantastic lighting in this game. The lighting and real-time shadows are truly impressive. Snowdrop is doing some work. Check out the party's shadows cast on the barrel over to the right. I noticed them when I ran by and had to go back to capture a screen:
ayZVKgy.jpg

Notice the floating candles casting a gentle, dynamic glow on the house. At a different angle they glow against that blue pipe. They even cast shadows on each other:
xDv4XxK.jpg

As the candles float in and out of the pipe, their light is cast in and out as well. Also note the ripples in the carpet, which for some reason just blew me away. The attention to details is so great.
rTyL086.jpg

A few different sources of glowing light here:
pMMML8I.jpg

These Shy Guy bookcases are AMAZING. This is a DIY project for the future. I will have one of these in my house:
VH5CYHu.jpg

Got a bit of a Dark Souls vibe seeing this ghost town (pun intended) sprawled below:
XgvMhRs.jpg

Celebrating a few more long shadows as summer winds down in Tennessee and it begins to cool off here:
aruOq2N.jpg

This simple little stretch, which 99% of you will run STRAIGHT past on the way to your next battle, froze me in my tracks. The colors and frosty-fruity environmental details just took me straight back to my childhood. This picture is comforting to me for some reason:
nCbHUcA.jpg

One more for the road. One of my favorite things in Mario games are those pill-shaped, multi-colored hills. I assume they're hills, anyway. I loved the way they were rendered in Captain Toad, and I love the way they're rendered here:
58VhmFr.jpg

Holy shit! They better make more games on the Switch with that engine!

Neiteio

Enjoying this enough... But it feels kind of bland personality-wise. Wish they'd adopted more of a Mario-RPG style.
Bland?

Blaaaaaand?

This game, of all games... you feel is bland?

The game where Rabbid Peach parodies Hamlet, sashays at Peach's dress and takes bubblegum-blowing selfies, and snickers at smartphone pics while a suspicious Luigi tries to sneak a peek.

Devoid of personality, you say? May I direct you to Mario 3D World!

Dermee

Neo Member
So since there are no preorders or preloads on the eshop, does that mean we miss out on the preorder dlc, or will Nintendo include that from eshop purchases?

Neiteio

Can I play this without ever having peach rabbid AKA absolutely disgusting turd in my party or do they force party makeup
Pretty sure you have to use the magnificent best character ever Rabbid Peach at the beginning.

You may want to skip the game if it bothers you that much.

M-PG71C

Can I play this without ever having peach rabbid AKA absolutely disgusting turd in my party or do they force party makeup

Take that back, Rabbid Peach is legit as hell. She will be in my party, all the damn time.

Mine is arriving tomorrow, originally was going to come Thursday or some shit. So that's awesome, I'll have some free time tomorrow to enjoy it! This will be my 7th Switch retail purchase, this system is beating the pants off of the Wii U.

Pretty sure you have to use the magnificent best character ever Rabbid Peach at the beginning.

You may want to skip the game if it bothers you that much.

Damn right! Rabbid Peach>>>>>ALL

Strings

Bland?

Blaaaaaand?

This game, of all games... you feel is bland?

I dunno, none of that surprises me? It's the sort of thing you'd expect Rabbids to do - the same with the dialogue, I'm just constantly going 'yeah, you would say that'.

I love dunking on Luigi as much as the next guy, but give me something new :(

Neiteio

Take that back, Rabbid Peach is legit as hell. She will be in my party, all the damn time.

Mine is arriving tomorrow, originally was going to come Thursday or some shit. So that's awesome, I'll have some free time tomorrow to enjoy it! This will be my 7th Switch retail purchase, this system is beating the pants off of the Wii U.
I was thinking about ordering Rabbid Peach's figure from the Ubi store. Those look surprisingly high-quality!

Ahh I honestly can't wait. The game looks to be everything I had hoped it would be an going to scratch that SRPG itch I've really been having.

DTU

Banned
Heads up that Gamestop will sell this to you at 9 PM. Just go there and return the copy you pre-ordered on Amazon or whatever whenever you get it.

El Odio

Banned
Decided to forgo my amazon order and just pick it up instore somewhere tomorrow, assuming I don't decided to just get it off the eshop if it goes up tonight. I need this game ASAP it just sounds too good.

There's no "X is getting a fan art following" thread for this game I figured this would be the appropriate place to put these pics I drew in anticipation for the game:

The game and it's director just ooze passion and fun that I felt doing something myself, even if I'm a bit outta practice.

Neiteio

Decided to forgo my amazon order and just pick it up instore somewhere tomorrow, assuming I don't decided to just get it off the eshop if it goes up tonight. I need this game ASAP it just sounds too good.

There's no "X is getting a fan art following" thread for this game I figured this would be the appropriate place to put these pics I drew in anticipation for the game:

The game and it's director just ooze passion and fun that I felt doing something myself, even if I'm a bit outta practice.
These are great! Tweet them at the game's director!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Damn those screenshots look amazing.

I really want this game but backlog + $80 CDN.

Whelp, said I probably wouldn't do it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hike over to the nearby Walmart at midnight, cancel my Amazon preorder, and spend all moments of tomorrow that I'm not working playing this game. It's what I gotta do.

Also, criticism of Rabbid Peach is blasphemy. I hope she compliments my play style and is in my party at all times.

nickgia

Is Mario actually horrified that he has to team up with Rabbids?

I'm in because it's Xcom and Mario. Glad reviews are saying the Rabbids "personality" doesn't add much to the game. Will pick this up after Yakuza.

Bought a couple of gift cards through target.com (yay 5% redcard discount) to pick this up, and I can't find where to redeem the gift cards online. Is this even possible? Hate entering these things by hand.

Merc_

My only complaint is that they should of let you make a 4 person party.

3 is too few for the amount of characters you get.

This game is really attractive. I hope Digital Foundry will take a look at this game. Curios to see what kind of performance. Plus, these are just first generation Switch games. It'll be great to see what devs can pull off in a few years when they really start to understand the hardware.

Was at wal mart picking up some groceries.

Decided to ask and see if they would let me buy it. Got denied.

Oh well. At least I tried.

phant0m

Delivered by the 31st Amazon? Cancelled.

I'll go by Best Buy and pick it up with GCU tomorrow. Or maybe eshop if its out at midnight.

This game is amazing. I'm going to have so much fun.
I really up they build the concept further on. I think it's really the perfect gateway drug for tactical rpg like Xcom.

Peterthumpa

I dunno, none of that surprises me? It's the sort of thing you'd expect Rabbids to do - the same with the dialogue, I'm just constantly going 'yeah, you would say that'.

I love dunking on Luigi as much as the next guy, but give me something new :(
We just got a Mario and Rabbids crossover strategy game inspired by XCOM, I can't think about something fresher than that.

Maybe Waluigi as a playable character in TLOU2, which takes place in Westeros?

Neiteio

We just got a Mario and Rabbids crossover strategy game inspired by XCOM, I can't think about something fresher than that.

Maybe Waluigi as a playable character in TLOU2, which takes place in Westeros?
"You know, Ellie, we truly are the last of wah"

F!ReW!Re

Also yeah, this was annoying. Nintendo set a real bad precedent with $90 BOTW. Now this, Bomberman, etc are following suit on the eShop and it's ridiculous.

Sorry don't want to sound cheap or anything.
I do already have BOTW, Mario Kart and Splatoon2.

Just think 90 is absolutely bonkers....

You can go Big W and they have for $69

Thanks for the tip (I'll wait for a sale, although I really want to play this)...

Just seems like an insane price for a game.
Like I've been picking up new games for my new pc and I can get AAA titles for 30-40 dollars.

bionic77

This game looks so good.

God I hope Ubi and Nintendo continue to collaborate. Maybe Nintendo will infect Ubisoft and all of their games will start to become awesome 5 years from now.

This game looks so good.

God I hope Ubi and Nintendo continue to collaborate. Maybe Nintendo will infect Ubisoft and all of their games will start to become awesome 5 years from now.

Probably should hope Vivendi doesn't buy them, because if they do, I don't these collaborations will happen.

Neiteio

Probably should hope Vivendi doesn't buy them, because if they do, I don't these collaborations will happen.
If Vivendi takes over, Nintendo should just buy the Rabbids and hire everyone that worked at Ubisoft Milan and Paris.

...Just joking, of course. That's a ridiculous and/or impractical idea.

palpatinedoit.jpg

Yea then it's a skip. Oh well, Destiny 2 next week.
Your trademark optimism will be missed!

Top Bottom