• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't think Shanks will get much traction with how absent he's been from the story lately, but I voted for him anyway. *Shrug*

Ogodei

tumblr_o66evuk6UU1slymbyo1_500.png

So I want to make either the top right or bottom right my ava, which is betetr?

Top right.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

SolVanderlyn

Hey Blackleg, I found a colored version of your old avatar

eQPmEsVe.jpg

Also, more Vinsmoke appreciation

full
full
full

full

RomanceDawn

I picked Jimbei!

On the topic of Big Mom's jolly roger again. I do like the idea of the tree on the flag being that of King Baum, though maybe aside from just representing him, maybe every symbol combined is supposed represent Linlin as Mother Nature. She gave birth to and has control over the sun, the clouds, plant life and more so uh why not? Seems fitting for an Emperor to control "nature" itself.

Big One

Banned
Who is willing to bet the next few Strawhats are gonna be characters that are already established? Jinbe already kind of sets this pattern up. For the first time ever, a character that has been a part of the story for YEARS in real life time has joined the crew. What if the other New World recruits are the same way? Here are some I'd like to propose:

Vivi - Technically already she wanted to join, but couldn't due to her princess duties. What if something goes down at the Reverie that forces her to join the crew (maybe she becomes an outlaw)? She's actually the most similar to Jinbe in this regard.

Smoker & Tashigi - I've seen all sorts of extensive theories on these two joining the crew over the years ranging from number patterns, story patterns, and etc. While I dunno if I would join, it's obvious if the Marines ever did some really heinous shit that they knew about they would probably rebel against them alongside the other good Marines. Tashigi also has a weird connection to Kuina that's never ever been explained.

Bon Clay - He's currently in Impel Down, but he's clearly one of Luffy's most dedicated friends and a huge fan favorite. If not join the crew I could picture him becoming a part of the Grand Fleet.

Crocodile - Crocodile has already been setup to have a backstory of sorts, so it'll be interesting to see that when it gets explored if it'll be an opportune moment for him to join up with Luffy in some capacity. Oda did say the next Strawhat will be a former villain, so maybe he was talking about Crocodile.

Momonosuke - There's definitely a LOT going on here with this character, and his father already travelled with two crews, so who is to say Momo won't to see it to Raftel like his father did?

Pekoms and/or Pedro - While I do not think they fit the Jinbe pattern as well as the other characters above, there is a distinct possibility that this will happen, however I think it's far more likely they'd join the Grand Fleet.

Who is willing to bet the next few Strawhats are gonna be characters that are already established? Jinbe already kind of sets this pattern up. For the first time ever, a character that has been a part of the story for YEARS in real life time has joined the crew. What if the other New World recruits are the same way? Here are some I'd like to propose:

Vivi - Technically already she wanted to join, but couldn't due to her princess duties. What if something goes down at the Reverie that forces her to join the crew (maybe she becomes an outlaw)? She's actually the most similar to Jinbe in this regard.

Smoker & Tashigi - I've seen all sorts of extensive theories on these two joining the crew over the years ranging from number patterns, story patterns, and etc. While I dunno if I would join, it's obvious if the Marines ever did some really heinous shit that they knew about they would probably rebel against them alongside the other good Marines. Tashigi also has a weird connection to Kuina that's never ever been explained.

Bon Clay - He's currently in Impel Down, but he's clearly one of Luffy's most dedicated friends and a huge fan favorite. If not join the crew I could picture him becoming a part of the Grand Fleet.

Crocodile - Crocodile has already been setup to have a backstory of sorts, so it'll be interesting to see that when it gets explored if it'll be an opportune moment for him to join up with Luffy in some capacity. Oda did say the next Strawhat will be a former villain, so maybe he was talking about Crocodile.

Momonosuke - There's definitely a LOT going on here with this character, and his father already travelled with two crews, so who is to say Momo won't to see it to Raftel like his father did?

Pekoms and/or Pedro - While I do not think they fit the Jinbe pattern as well as the other characters above, there is a distinct possibility that this will happen, however I think it's far more likely they'd join the Grand Fleet.

Smoker and Tashigi have zero chance of joining the strawhats. Even if they will likely end up opposing the current WG administration, that doesn't mean they'll become pirates.

Dugna

regarding the crocodile one...where did Oda say that the next member is a former Villain?

SolVanderlyn

Vivi joining is something I'd be a-ok with. I've missed her since Arabasta.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
regarding the crocodile one...where did Oda say that the next member is a former Villain?
There's basically three long running crewmate rumors, but not all of them should be considered reliable:

• #1 is that "the next crewmate will be a former villain". Now this rumor is from 2009 and yet refuses to die. Supposedly it came from something Oda said at a Jump Festa because there's never been any translated interview to back it up nor any firm source backing it up. But even if it's true, considering the timing it was likely referring to the allies Luffy made in Impel Down (which was the arc that was running in 2009). Either way its not something fans should be using as a reference point in 2017. Especially since Oda used to refer to Robin as his "former villain turned hero" character.
  • The 2nd long running rumor is that "more crewmates would be joining successively", which is from an interview with Oda in the China Times in July 2014. However the interview doesn't quote Oda directly but rather refers to him saying that. Also, it's very likely that Oda was referring to Luffy's allies he made in Dressrosa, which was just beginning at the time.
  • And finally there's the long running rumor that Luffy will have 10 crewmates by the end of the story. This one is actually based on manga material as Luffy flat out says he wants 10 crewmates at the beginning of the story and Oda has been very clearly numbering them as they join. Plus we learned in Dressrosa that Blackbeard now has 10 Titanic Captains, so unless the horse became a captain, Blackbeard must've added a new crewmember. And since the Strawhats and Blackbeards are supposed to parallel each other, you would then think that Luffy would add another crewmate too (in addition to Jinbe). However Oda has said nothing to back up or deny this theory.

Red Fire

main-qimg-30c8610eff9405232952636ea22968d9

He says at least 10 though doesn't he?
Or is this a mistranslation

Edit: just checked the official translation, he says AT LEAST 10

Hows the anime these days?

I kept up with it through to punk hazard and switched over to One pace edits for the donflamingo arc so far.

Have they improved the pace of the series? Really want to get back into it but I'm attached to the anime voices and it wasn't the same reading the Manga, despite it being of godlike quality.

I kept up with it through to punk hazard and switched over to One pace edits for the donflamingo arc so far.

Have they improved the pace of the series? Really want to get back into it but I'm attached to the anime voices and it wasn't the same reading the Manga, despite it being of godlike quality.
Pacing still needs work,animation is better. Episodes have been pretty satisfying

SolVanderlyn

I can't speak for anything but the One Pace edit for Zou (which was fantastic), but Whole Cake has been surprisingly well paced so far. Maybe it's because they did some actual filler beforehand. Yonji's VA is perfect - exactly how I imagined it.

Speaking of Blackbeard's captains, if we assume that all of them include the crew members Teach had before the timeskip, it would mean that one of them is either currently unknown or the horse that Doc Q rides on.

It could be Kuzan, but I feel like that would publicly known and people would make a huge deal about it. He's probably just an ally with an agenda.

Edit: Didn't realize the rest of grandjedi6's post said exactly this lol

There was an interview pre 2009 where Oda said that he thinks readers enjoy a villain becoming good (like Vegeta). At the time there was no context in this quote. It wasn't articulated if he meant characters who were already on the crew like Robin or if he meant Franky (I remember reading the quote around the time Water 7 was happening? Don't remember).

Of course, this could be fake. I only remember seeing it once.

Well Pudding is sort of a villain...

Exactly why I'm holding out hope but again, this could have easily been applied to Robin or Franky. It's a quote over ten years old. At the time I thought he was referring to Smoker because Garp hadn't even been properly introduced in the story yet so we didn't have that parallel to consider.

Ray Down

Banned
Who is willing to bet the next few Strawhats are gonna be characters that are already established?

Smoker & Tashigi - I've seen all sorts of extensive theories on these two joining the crew over the years ranging from number patterns, story patterns, and etc. While I dunno if I would join, it's obvious if the Marines ever did some really heinous shit that they knew about they would probably rebel against them alongside the other good Marines.

Aside from maybe the last one, not much.

Vivi, no already considered 5.5.

Smoker & Tashigi is a big no, all those theories are crap. Their stories are connected to the Marine corruption and solving that. By the time we deal with that the crew will be filled up.

Your right about Bon, just grand fleet if he bothers to break out.

Momo is a possibility but right now his dreams are connected to just Wano, like Vivi, Rebecca and Viola.

Maybe grand fleet but they have a lot of loyalty to BM, that has to be dealt with.

There was an interview pre 2009 where Oda said that he thinks readers enjoy a villain becoming good (like Vegeta). At the time there was no context in this quote. It wasn't articulated if he meant characters who were already on the crew like Robin or if he meant Franky (I remember reading the quote around the time Water 7 was happening? Don't remember).

Of course, this could be fake. I only remember seeing it once.

People say he made a comment in 2009 about a villain joining, but that quote is referring to the Impel Down crew. Mainly Croc and Daz Bones who joined shortly after.

Well Pudding is sort of a villain...

See this guy got's it right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom