• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
lkX66VC.jpg

Viz translation. If Oda is planning to stay true to Luffy's statement, then we're actually further back than we anticipated because Nami and Robin aren't men. Also, Chopper and Jimbei might not either, since they're not human.

I'm not sure if this sarcasm or not but I do wish this would happen. He's too fun a character to leave on the sidelines.

Not sarcasm, and not entirely for different reasons than what you just said, but I imagine my idea of him being part of the crew is different from most people's.

Ray Down

Banned
God how can people like Bellamy after Dressrosa, he had some potential early on in it but it went fucking nowhere and Oda didn't even bother to resolve it.

Big One

Banned
Like I keep telling you guys remember every Strawhat needs more or less these factors:

1. A tragic backstory
2. A dream that involves the endgame
3. A role on the crew (it could range from something as useful as a shipwright or something arbitrary as a musician)

This rules out a lot of characters like Bellamy and Carrot for example, since while both have SOME of the qualities, they don't have all of them. Nor do they really have any foreshadowed potential to get those qualities like a lot of the characters I listed in my above post.

Ray Down

Banned
Number 3 is the least important one, Oda will just make something up to give a person a role in the end game/story for them to join.

Big One

Banned
Number 3 is the least important one, Oda will just make something up to give a person a role in the end game/story for them to join.
I agree, but still, the character has to have some fighting ability in some capacity as well. That kind of rules out Momo too unless something happens in Wano arc, lol. I read a good theory on Oro Jackson stating that the climax of the Wano arc will involve using the treasure that was stolen inside of the Tamatebako to age Momo up to adulthood so he can use his full strength to take back his country.

Ray Down

Banned
I agree, but still, the character has to have some fighting ability in some capacity as well. That kind of rules out Momo too unless something happens in Wano arc, lol. I read a good theory on Oro Jackson stating that the climax of the Wano arc will involve using the treasure that was stolen inside of the Tamatebako to age Momo up to adulthood so he can use his full strength to take back his country.

Yeah you at least have to be stronger than Usopp to join.

That's an awful fucking theory, the treasure is still in FI. What's in their now are powerful bombs.

Veelk

Banned
You know what would be a funny character? Someone who really didn't want to join the Strawhats, but had to for some reason.

It's not just the 'first refusal' thing, they flat out don't want to join, but circumstance and Luffy's eagerness forces them onto the boat and they have to stay on it and fight with the strawhats.

caliph95

You know what would be a funny character? Someone who really didn't want to join the Strawhats, but had to for some reason.

It's not just the 'first refusal' thing, they flat out don't want to join, but circumstance and Luffy's eagerness forces them onto the boat and they have to stay on it and fight with the strawhats.
So you're saying Gastino is new nakama

Big One

Banned
Yeah you at least have to be stronger than Usopp to join.

That's an awful fucking theory, the treasure is still in FI. What's in their now are powerful bombs.
Everyone already knows that (including the person that made the theory), but the premise is that Momo will find a way to accomplish something similar to that. It wouldn't be out there for Vegapunk to appear out of nowhere for example and he'd probably be able to replicate the drug and make it even better.

Chase17

But Luffy doesn't want Gastino. That's a key difference, it's a character that all the strawhats have accepted as nakama, except that character.

So like Robin in Water 7/Enies Lobby? Or do you mean the Robin in that scenario would be even more against it/not like the strawhats at all.

Edit: Nevermind, saw your pevious post, I think I know what you mean.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But Luffy doesn't want Gastino. That's a key difference, it's a character that all the strawhats have accepted as nakama, except that character.

This is kind of the Straw Hat fleet, in reverse. They've all pledged fealty, and he wants nothing to do with it.

Veelk

Banned
Law kinda fits that bill except he's more indifferent.

Law also kinda bought into it at this point, even if he's more like Zoro than the more gaggy members. His dislike of the strawhats would have to endure the length of time he's in the story, while also shifting, kinda like Usopp's cowardice.

Franky?

Veelk

Banned
I hate this obsession with these rules to join I tell u that

I just don't like that they're not diegetic.

Luffy doesn't know the tragic backstory of half his crew, I don't think he cares if they have a dream or not, and he only occasionally gives thought to what a person's role on his ship will be.

Edit: you're nearly there, Lotus

Like I keep telling you guys remember every Strawhat needs more or less these factors:

1. A tragic backstory
3. A role on the crew (it could range from something as useful as a shipwright or something arbitrary as a musician)

This rules out a lot of characters like Bellamy and Carrot for example, since while both have SOME of the qualities, they don't have all of them. Nor do they really have any foreshadowed potential to get those qualities like a lot of the characters I listed in my above post.

I don't see how that rules out Carrot, even if you believe that Oda has to adhere to these rules.

The events on Zou (which were shown in flashback form) are far more tragic than anything in Zoro or Usopp's past, and she clearly dreams of exploring the world. And that's even considering that she could have some more backstory that we don't know about (there have been a number of panels showing her looking very serious in the middle of discussions; those have to be put in there for some reason).

Big One

Banned
I don't see how that rules out Carrot, even if you believe that Oda has to adhere to these rules.

The events on Zou (which were shown in flashback form) are far more tragic than anything in Zoro or Usopp's past, and she clearly dreams of exploring the world. And that's even considering that she could have some more backstory that we don't know about (there have been a number of panels showing her looking very serious in the middle of discussions; those have to be put in there for some reason).
I don't mean exclusively based on tragedy, but Carrot never got a moment in that flashback where she inherited someone's will or anything of that sort The flashback was also not exclusively about her.

Unless there's a big twist like revealing she was the traitor on Zou or something of that sort, there's just nothing there for Carrot.

I don't mean exclusively based on tragedy, but Carrot never got a moment in that flashback where she inherited someone's will or anything of that sort The flashback was also not exclusively about her.

Unless there's a big twist like revealing she was the traitor on Zou or something of that sort, there's just nothing there for Carrot.

Well, I think there is some sort of twist coming. I mean, Oda has put in at least four or five close up panels of Carrot looking really serious about something in the past few months. I'm pretty sure he's setting up something there.

Ogodei

Viz translation. If Oda is planning to stay true to Luffy's statement, then we're actually further back than we anticipated because Nami and Robin aren't men. Also, Chopper and Jimbei might not either, since they're not human.

Not sarcasm, and not entirely for different reasons than what you just said, but I imagine my idea of him being part of the crew is different from most people's.

I know you're probably joking, but the original Japanese probably just says "Juunin" or something like that, no specifying for gender or species.

Big One

Banned
Oda could make up some tragic backstory in an instant anyway
He could but he tends to foreshadow and set it up before he drops one on us. Carrot hasn't gotten anything like that. Even Brook has with his Vinsmoke knowledge that we still haven't gotten resolution to, as well as flags for both Big Mom and Pudding for having potential flashbacks.

1. A tragic backstory

You're presuming too much, buddy.

When Franky was first revealed, he was just this asshole dude who stole the Strawhat's money and beat up Usopp. He didn't have a backstory yet. The same is true for Robin. There was nothing indicating she would stay with the crew forever, especially since Oda cleverly showed that some people will tag along and not join (Vivi). Nami didn't have a back story and she was with the crew for like three arcs before she got one!

Any One Piece fans knows that to not rule Oda out. He'll always come out with a surprise.

Honestly, you could argue Jinbei won't join the crew too because he hasn't had his own backstory yet.

Again, back in the day, everyone thought Paulie was joining the crew when they reached Water 7. He seemed hinted to have a tragic backstory and everything, and then we got the dude who wears speedos which no one expected because he was treated as a villain. Never claim to know what Oda is going to do. NEVER!

Ray Down

Banned
When Franky true design was reveled he was basically confirmed.

No way Oda put that much work in a character who wouldn't be a straw hat.

Franky was wearing a cloak and a mask though the begin of the arc, he eventually took it off, his true design was revealed then.

Also crazy Ace Ventura hair.

I know he had a mask, but it wasn't like he'd be a Strawhat or anything, or else Bon Clay would be a Strawhat. Franky wasn't obviously the next SH until his flashback for me.

Ray Down

Banned
I know he had a mask, but it wasn't like he'd be a Strawhat or anything, or else Bon Clay would be a Strawhat. Franky wasn't obviously the next SH until his flashback for me.

Bon Clay isn't half naked with a speedo, huge ridiculous arms, 3 pronged chin with a metal nose and crazy blue hair.

Bon Clay is a conservative design compared to Franky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom