• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Complicated
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:38 PM)
Complicated's Avatar
It's so weird to have this kind of response juxtaposed against all the foaming at the mouth over loot boxes. Crossplay would have an immediate positive effect on some of the biggest multiplayer games out right now, and people are losing their minds over the possibility that loot boxes could make a game worse.

Maybe Microsoft should bring back some of the greatest hits since its apparently ok now. Put Netflix back in the Live subscription, make Xbox One always online and do away with used game reselling everywhere but Gamestop, bring back the requirements for indie developers. They're just doing it to make more money, so all the people siding with Sony in this thread should be fine with it.
TheSpecialOne
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:38 PM)
TheSpecialOne's Avatar

Originally Posted by ctw0e

Yeah, Phil, you need to keep programming on those vidya! Can't be talkin' shit about Sony like this.

Wow, I mean it's possible to look at my post and come to the conclusion that it's slanted and that's fair. This though, is just embarrassing.
Visualante2
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:38 PM)
As much as I hate to say it, Microsoft needs to take the Valve approach and just publish data that proves it is a win for everyone involved.

Sony's silence already speaks volumes. I wonder if Sony was acting this way last generation when Microsoft refused free DLC and user mods.
SOR5
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:39 PM)
SOR5's Avatar

Originally Posted by sikkinixx

Sony: “hey Phil, maybe if you guys made some actual games you won’t need to beg for access to our huge user base for your users to play with”

the
implications
of
this
are
bigger
than
your
shitty
console war
Thorrgal
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:39 PM)
Thorrgal's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bits N Pieces

This is the gaming enthusiasts response to something that would benefit developers big and small as well as the players.

It almost takes your breath away, lol.

The outrage is real!! OMG!!!

Please...
Septic360
Banned
(10-12-2017, 07:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Complicated

It's so weird to have this kind of response juxtaposed against all the foaming at the mouth over loot boxes. Crossplay would have an immediate positive effect on some of the biggest multiplayer games out right now, and people are losing their minds over the possibility that loot boxes could make a game worse.

Maybe Microsoft should bring back some of the greatest hits since its apparently ok now. Put Netflix back in the Live subscription, make Xbox One always online and do away with used game reselling everywhere but Gamestop, bring back the requirements for indie developers. They're just doing it to make more money, so all the people siding with Sony in this thread should be fine with it.

Absolutely SPOT ON
Niceguydan8
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:40 PM)
Niceguydan8's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brotherhood93

While I agree with the principal you also have to be reasonable. Is it reasonable to think that if you play a game on PS4 you should be able to play with people on Xbox? I might be influenced by the fact this industry has always been centred around console wars but I would never have that expectation, no doubting it would be a good thing just not something I would assume should be possible. As a consumer I would prefer games were half the price than they are currently but it isn't a reasonable expectation. A more hyperbolic example than asking for cross-play I admit but I assume the view from within Sony is that allowing cross-play devalues their product.

Why wouldn't it be reasonable? We've seen implementation of it in multiple circumstances. Maybe there was a tech issue 20 years ago where it was not possible, but at this point it's literally a business decision holding that back. Everything else is there, so yeah, I do think it's increasingly a reasonable expectation as a consumer.

I think there are better ways (exclusives) to increase the value of their products. At this point, I think it should be open to developers if they want to implement it. For most platforms out there, that seems to be the case.
Dunkley
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:40 PM)

Originally Posted by AndrewDean84xX

Sounds like the press is doing a good job by setting up Phil for an easy spike.

Press: Why no cross-play that's good for gamers?

Phil: We want it, Nintendo wants it, level headed gamers want it. Go ask Sony why they don't.

Sony Gaf: Why Phil keep bring up cross-play, we no want that.

It's like how GAF said David Hayter should shut the fuck up about MGSV and voicing Snake while that was pretty much the only thing game journalists kept asking him about.

Originally Posted by Alebelly

lol, sure I guess. If MS wants to path this path, then let them path it. Nothing theyve ever done gives me any confidence that they are operating outside their own self interest. Maybe Im wrong.

They are definitely are but who gives a shit. All companies want to make money.

The reason why this is important regardless of what MS' endgame is because the pressure means that maybe, at some point in the future, we can play together regardless of platform in the future for some titles.

Originally Posted by SOR5

the
implications
of
this
are
bigger
than
your
shitty
console war

This. This a thousand times. Who gives a crap about this console warz crap if the whole idea about cross-play is coming together. It's like people want divide.
enemy2k
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:41 PM)
enemy2k's Avatar
the shitposting in this thread...
Alebelly
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:43 PM)
Alebelly's Avatar

Originally Posted by tiredheadcrab

Every business operates out of their own self interest. See Sony and lack of cross play.

insightful, thanks

Just how prevalent is this MS movement everyone is evangelizing? What are the fruits of this dire labor that MS and Phil have been so hard at work on?
Classicblunder
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:43 PM)
Classicblunder's Avatar
This is rich. Wasn't Microsoft cross-play obstructionist when 360 had the sales lead over PS3? PS4 probably has the most Minecraft players over Switch or XBO, I'm guessing. So if you want to play with your friends, you need to buy a PS4. Sony wants to leverage their install base advantage to maximum effect. The other thing is the fact that you need an Xbox account for better together. Son'y doesn't want their users creating xbox accounts.

I suspect Microsoft knows EXACTLY why Sony won't play their game, and that they would do the exact same thing, as they did in the past, if the tables were turned. This is simply an attempt to score some good PR and damage Sonys image.

As for Nintendo, their Switch strategy has been to fire everything in 2017. They have the smallest install base, so they actually benefit from XBO larger install base. They're willing to expose their users to Xbox accounts in exchange for good publicity and a clear advantage to their users. BTW I think their strategy has been a success. But make no mistake; they don't want any competition.
sikkinixx
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:43 PM)
sikkinixx's Avatar

Originally Posted by SOR5

the
implications
of
this
are
bigger
than
your
shitty
console war

I
Don’t
Care
About
Your
Made
Up
Console
War


It’s getting old this passive aggressive “well! Just ask Sony why they don’t want people to have fun!”

Sony doesn’t have a reason to. It’s annoying, as I would like to play games with my brother in law, but until there is actual news on this, who cares with Phil says anymore? The ball isn’t in his court unless the Xbox X changes the landscape dramatically or something.
ctw0e
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:43 PM)

Originally Posted by TheSpecialOne

Wow, I mean it's possible to look at my post and come to the conclusion that it's slanted and that's fair. This though, is just embarrassing.

Well, your post implied an either-or scenario, which is profoundly absurd.
Alebrije
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:43 PM)
Alebrije's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bits N Pieces

This is the gaming enthusiasts response to something that would benefit developers big and small as well as the players.

It almost takes your breath away, lol.

Being honest I do not see how cross play will improve my gaming experience now. Call me conservative but Iam fine with my current groups of online players , also as a far as I know you can not invite to a group a friend from other console , just play with random players.

And basically what have you heard from Phil besides cross playing the last months? Should be talking more about XboneX or new IPs.
Niceguydan8
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:45 PM)
Niceguydan8's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alebrije

Being honest I do not see how cross play will improve my gaming experience now. Call me conservative but Iam fine with my current groups of online players , also as a far as I know you can not invite to a group a friend from other console , just play with random players.

And basically what have you heard from Phil besides cross playing the last months? Should be talking more about XboneX or new IPs.

What if you're playing a lower population game? Even a couple hundred extra players online at any given time could have significant impacts on your matchmaking experience.

Also, as somebody brought up earlier, any skill-based matchmaking system hugely benefits from an increase in players. Theoretically your games would likely be more balanced if the skill-based system was working.
2blackcats
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:45 PM)
2blackcats's Avatar
Unless you can make chat parties, send invites, etc. I don't see much point.

Only games with tiny populations would see much benefit.
Bits N Pieces
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:45 PM)
Bits N Pieces's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thorrgal

The outrage is real!! OMG!!!

Please...

Nah, ill just point out a fanboy shitpost when I see one :)
Dunkley
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:46 PM)

Originally Posted by sikkinixx

who cares with Phil says anymore?

I don't really care about Phil in particular rather than the fact that a person of influence is speaking about the topic at all.

Since being able to play together regardless of platform is a nice dream to have and with this the push is there to make it a reality. I agree that Sony doesn't need a reason to not want it, but that shouldn't hinder anyone wishing their stance on it would change.
kpaadet
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:47 PM)
kpaadet's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gestault

♪♪ Hello Deflection, my old friend ♪♪

(You're not wrong, but you're veering off the topic)

And the person I quoted added so much insight to the discussion right? It has been discussed to death, yeah Sony is not looking good in this issue. But I also think the PS4 has one of it's best years in terms of software so I find the hole sarcastic fortheplayers quite amusing.
Drillary Clinton
Banned
(10-12-2017, 07:47 PM)
Remember when Fortnite had crossplay by accident and they just flipped a switch to disable it? Good times.


Brand loyalty fucking LOL
AndrewDean84xX
Banned
(10-12-2017, 07:48 PM)
AndrewDean84xX's Avatar
If anyone here thinks this topic is less important than your brand loyalty, then I'll be the one to inform you that you are wrong.

This has nothing to do with MS vs. Sony.

This is about that indie game coming next year. And when you try to play it online three years later, you can't get a full match going.

This is for me wanting to play co-op with my daughter, while I'm on my PC and she's on her Switch.

This is about the future of gaming, not some stupid console war in 2017-2020.
Van Bur3n
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:48 PM)
Van Bur3n's Avatar

Originally Posted by MisterR

People don't like Phil because he's a sanctimonious bullshit artist.

I don't doubt it. All of the higher ups are. But at the same time...

Originally Posted by sikkinixx

Sony: “hey Phil, maybe if you guys made some actual games you won’t need to beg for access to our huge user base for your users to play with”

Originally Posted by PeregrinSe7en

well said

Originally Posted by Thorrgal

"My first party line-up sucks so I'm gonna talk about this cross-play thingy"

...let's not pretend the fanatic brand loyalty isn't real. There are people with anti-consumer stances for the sake of it benefiting their best friend company.
CookTrain
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by AndrewDean84xX

If anyone here thinks this topic is less important than your brand loyalty, then I'll be the one to inform you that you are wrong.

This has nothing to do with MS vs. Sony.

This is about that indie game coming next year. And when you try to play it online three years later, you can't get a full match going.

This is for me wanting to play co-op with my daughter, while I'm on my PC and she's on her Switch.

This is about the future of gaming, not some stupid console war.

Yeah, the narrow consolepolitik some are playing with it is such a disservice to the potential of fully realised cross play that it makes my head hurt.

Google and Apple got this sorted with nary a blink.
Spy
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:49 PM)
Spy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Classicblunder

This is rich. Wasn't Microsoft cross-play obstructionist when 360 had the sales lead over PS3? PS4 probably has the most Minecraft players over Switch or XBO, I'm guessing. So if you want to play with your friends, you need to buy a PS4. Sony wants to leverage their install base advantage to maximum effect. The other thing is the fact that you need an Xbox account for better together. Son'y doesn't want their users creating xbox accounts.

I suspect Microsoft knows EXACTLY why Sony won't play their game, and that they would do the exact same thing, as they did in the past, if the tables were turned. This is simply an attempt to score some good PR and damage Sonys image.

As for Nintendo, their Switch strategy has been to fire everything in 2017. They have the smallest install base, so they actually benefit from XBO larger install base. They're willing to expose their users to Xbox accounts in exchange for good publicity and a clear advantage to their users. BTW I think their strategy has been a success. But make no mistake; they don't want any competition.

I agree and I said this once before but I'll say it again...

When Google was rolling out Google Plus, should Facebook have let them share their user base?

I know quite a few people who made the jump to the PlayStation 4 because they wanted to play games with a specific group of friends. If cross play was supported, they would still be on the Xbox One. I would like cross play with other consoles to be supported but it's easy to see why Sony isn't going with it. I wouldn't blame Microsoft or Nintendo for not supporting it if they were the market leader either. Microsoft is benefiting regardless because of the good PR.
PowerThroughLov
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:49 PM)
I think Sony's response is
"Why would we allow your platform to access our large user base and take away a competitive advantage that can keep people locked in Sony platforms?"
TharpDaddy
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:50 PM)
TharpDaddy's Avatar
God these threads are the worst, people get so ingrained into their console war that they actively root against something that would benefit everyone who plays games. They care more about Sony 'winning' than improving the industry as a whole.

Originally Posted by Alebelly

insightful, thanks

Just how prevalent is this MS movement everyone is evangelizing? What are the fruits of this dire labor that MS and Phil have been so hard at work on?

Minecraft has sold 112 million copies. A large majority of those players across Android, iPhone, PC, VR and Xbox can now play together without any blockades between the platforms. That's some pretty significant fruit considering it's one of the largest games in the world.
paulogy
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:51 PM)
paulogy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Septic360

They should talk about what their view is...

ie. "Stop asking me" :-)
2blackcats
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:52 PM)
2blackcats's Avatar

Originally Posted by PowerThroughLov

I think Sony's response is
"Why would we allow your platform to access our large user base and take away a competitive advantage that can keep people locked in Sony platforms?"

The counterpoint to that is that they have a much better software catalog so why not get the PS4 if you can play with your buddies who are sticking with Xbox.
Alebelly
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:52 PM)
Alebelly's Avatar
Its an easy topic to agree on.

Take Sony out of the picture. Because hey, lets keep it real and not fanboy about it.

Now tell me, what exactly has Phil and MS done to change the landscape of cross-platform play?
Rajang
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:53 PM)
Rajang's Avatar
#4theplayers
Dunkley
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:53 PM)

Originally Posted by AndrewDean84xX

If anyone here thinks this topic is less important than your brand loyalty, then I'll be the one to inform you that you are wrong.

This has nothing to do with MS vs. Sony.

This is about that indie game coming next year. And when you try to play it online three years later, you can't get a full match going.

This is for me wanting to play co-op with my daughter, while I'm on my PC and she's on her Switch.

This is about the future of gaming, not some stupid console war in 2017-2020.

Thank you. I wish something like that was quoted into the OP every time a topic on cross-play comes up so people would stop trying to drag console warz into this.

Originally Posted by Alebelly

Its an easy topic to agree on.

Take Sony out of the picture. Because hey, lets keep it real and not fanboy about it.

Now tell me, what exactly has Phil and MS done to change the landscape of cross-platform play?

Cross-play with the Nintendo Switch on Minecraft and Rocket League.
CookTrain
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Alebelly

Now tell me, what exactly has Phil and MS done to change the landscape of cross-platform play?

They've opened up barriers between Windows Store and Steam. They're opening up barriers between Xbox and Switch. They've opened up barriers between console, PC and mobile.

All pretty damn good progress.
Sunnybuns
no more brown bags for my meals
(10-12-2017, 07:54 PM)
Sunnybuns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alebelly

Its an easy topic to agree on.

Take Sony out of the picture. Because hey, lets keep it real and not fanboy about it.

Now tell me, what exactly has Phil and MS done to change the landscape of cross-platform play?

They've implemented it on the Switch and PC and even mobile.
TharpDaddy
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:54 PM)
TharpDaddy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alebelly

Now tell me, what exactly has Phil and MS done to change the landscape of cross-platform play?

A large chunk of the 112 million people who have bought Minecraft can now play together regardless of if they're on iPhone, Android, Xbox, VR or PC, with Switch soon to come. One of the largest and most impactful games ever released no longer has boundaries between the platforms. My niece can get on her mom's tablet and I can play Minecraft with her from my computer. That's amazing.
2blackcats
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:55 PM)
2blackcats's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunkley



Cross-play with the Nintendo Switch on Minecraft and Rocket League.

Is it just a bigger pool of players or is there more functionality? Must be with minecraft.
Alebelly
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:55 PM)
Alebelly's Avatar
So we have barriers and Minecraft. Good start.
flkraven
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:55 PM)
flkraven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alebelly

Its an easy topic to agree on.

Take Sony out of the picture. Because hey, lets keep it real and not fanboy about it.

Now tell me, what exactly has Phil and MS done to change the landscape of cross-platform play?

They've implemented cross play with literally every other gaming platform.
Brotherhood93
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:56 PM)
Brotherhood93's Avatar

Originally Posted by Niceguydan8

Why wouldn't it be reasonable? We've seen implementation of it in multiple circumstances. Maybe there was a tech issue 20 years ago where it's not possible, but at this point it's literally a business decision holding that back. Everything else is there, so yeah, I do think it's increasingly a reasonably expectation as a consumer.

I think there are better ways (exclusives) to increase the value of their products. At this point, I think it should be open to developers if they want to implement it. For most platforms out there, that seems to be the case.

I'll be honest and say I've never given it a lot of thought, as I mentioned I'm a SP guy so it's not something that affects me. It's just always been rather obvious to me that you buy a game on PSN and you play with others on PSN and same with XBL and until recently never considered it should be any different. I don't have any data to say how it would affect PS4 sales other than anecdotally I know several people who bought a PS4 because that's what everybody else was getting so they could play FIFA and Battlefield together.

To be clear I'm not arguing that denying cross-play is anything but anti-consumer but then so are console exclusives, DLC, charging for online services and many other things but I consider them all to be reasonable as part of the consumer-business relationship, things such as loot boxes and undetailed season passes less so. The expectation of cross-play between consoles kinda falls on the line for me. It would undoubtedly be a good thing for gamers but I think there are some legitimate reasons for not allowing it. I support Microsoft for pushing for it though so I don't really have a problem with Phil putting the pressure on Sony. I just don't really agree with this being a case of pure corporate greed but then Sony don't really help with the "it's for the safety of the kids" stuff.
2blackcats
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:56 PM)
2blackcats's Avatar

Originally Posted by flkraven

They've implemented cross play with literally every other gaming platform.

How does it work?

I wish the minecraft threads were this busy, lol.
Bits N Pieces
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:56 PM)
Bits N Pieces's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alebelly

So we have barriers and Minecraft. Good start.

lol, if you didn't want factual reasons why did you ask in the first place?
flkraven
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:56 PM)
flkraven's Avatar

Originally Posted by 2blackcats

Is it just a bigger pool of players or is there more functionality? Must be with minecraft.

Bigger pool of players, infinite worlds on all services, progress saved between devices, and cross buy for DLC so don't need to buy the same skins over and over again.
CookTrain
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Alebelly

So we have barriers and Minecraft. Good start.

Barriers is shorthand for the games they've helped enable cross play on.

Epic even has Fortnite ready to go Xbox<>PS4<>PC and have had to disable it twice now, limiting it to PC<>PS4 for murky reasons.
Nimby
Banned
(10-12-2017, 07:57 PM)

Originally Posted by kpaadet

And the person I quoted added so much insight to the discussion right? It has been discussed to death, yeah Sony is not looking good in this issue. But I also think the PS4 has one of it's best years in terms of software so I find the hole sarcastic fortheplayers quite amusing.

To be honest, I don't think anyone who is for cross play isn't denying that PS4 has a severe lead over the direct competitor in terms of software. Cross play benefits consumers and the developers involved. You get quicker, more accurate matchmaking, more opportunities to interact with the community at large, and it is less troubling for developers to patch and develop for each separate platform.

It's very disheartening to see push back against the movement because Sony fans apparently see the movement as cause to push back against them. I can't speak of what Spencer's intentions truly are, but the idea of cross play seems ridiculous to fight against at all.
Dunkley
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:57 PM)

Originally Posted by 2blackcats

Is it just a bigger pool of players or is there more functionality? Must be with minecraft.

Not sure what you mean but there isn't any additional functionality beyond the point you can just like, own the game and play it with everyone?

I mean that's the whole deal with cross-play. I don't think people are asking for more than that.

edit:

Originally Posted by flkraven

Bigger pool of players, infinite worlds on all services, progress saved between devices, and cross buy for DLC so don't need to buy the same skins over and over again.

Yeah, I forgot about the Bedrock Engine features.
Kolx
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:57 PM)
Kolx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Doukou

Fine looked it up.
DQX launched at 14 thousand on PS4 check media create
The game holds 300,000 subscribers

That doesn't change the fact the connection you made is speculation from your side, unless you have a statement from Sony or Square or Nintendo to back it up?
Interfectum
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:57 PM)
Interfectum's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bits N Pieces

lol, if you didn't want factual reasons why did you ask in the first place?

He's just trying to keep it real (lol).
dezzy8
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:58 PM)
dezzy8's Avatar

Originally Posted by RoyalFool

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

Thread could've ended after this post.
2blackcats
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:58 PM)
2blackcats's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dunkley

Not sure what you mean but there isn't any additional functionality beyond the point you can just like, own the game and play it with everyone?

I mean that's the whole deal with cross-play. I don't think people are asking for more than that.

edit:



Yeah, I forgot about the Bedrock Engine features.

How does voice chat work? How do you invite people to a shared world?
Huge Succeeded
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:58 PM)
Huge Succeeded's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alebelly

Take Sony out of the picture. Because hey, lets keep it real and not fanboy about it.

In a thread titled "All platforms should embrace cross-play, it benefits everyone", this was your only input:

Originally Posted by Alebelly

Of course it does, when one party runs 60+ FPS, and other parties run -60fps, another party has next to zero online infrastructure, while another party is simply there to collect data on the others

sounds like utopia

Let's keep it real, indeed. Let's not fanboy about it, indeed.
iBeleaf
Member
(10-12-2017, 07:59 PM)
iBeleaf's Avatar
Phil only seems to speak when it has to do with Sony and cross play
Hmm

Thread Tools