• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Nobody is being a shill. With Minecraft cross play you need a MS account. Put yourself in the shoes of Sony's CEO. Would you want your consumers to sign up for Xbox Live? No.

And MS really does need to worry about their first party games and stop cancelling and closing studios. They should be trying to get Final Fantasy XIV on their system since they're so open to cross play now.
Do you use Hotmail, Windows, or Outlook? If you answer yes to any of those, then you already have a Live account.

RoyalFool

Banned
They allow cross-play with PC which doesn't have parties or voice chat across platforms. It gives a larger playbase to matchmake from, which means you can more accurately get matched with people of your similar skill level. The larger a playerbase is, the better your experience will be.

you're telling me they sold 60 million systems but it needs xbox cross-play so it can match me up with 11 people who slept with my mum?

EdgeXL

Sony should absolutely explain why they are blocking cross play. I want to see their answer in their own words (meaning not from Sony's unpaid defenders on the internet).

kpaadet

Yeah see that’s false. Any sales thread that comes along on gaf we consistently hear how Sony was behind last gen. They weren’t, they held strong against MS. I mean in the USA MS was doing very well compared to Sony but worldwide PlayStation was holding strong.
Holding strong? How does that relate to what I wrote? Xbox was the market leader (yes I know I'm ignoring the WIi), sure Sony might have caught up very late in the gen when most had moved on to PS4/XB1.

skill-based matchmaking works better with a larger player pool
regional matchmaking works better with a larger player pool
larger player pools in general benefit regions where the playerbase of a given game isn't as large as it would be in, say, the US or UK

I just didn't think that Rocket League suffered from a small player pool is all.

A good point is implied in the Gamespot link above though. They could had have more game types, leagues, etc. with a larger pool of players.

I hadn't thought of that.

you're telling me they sold 60 million systems but it needs xbox cross-play so it can match me up with 11 people who slept with my mum?

Your posts in this thread have been really sad. Try some critical thinking and get some perspective on what people are talking about.

I just didn't think that Rocket League suffered from a small player pool is all.

A good point is implied in the Gamespot link above though. They could had have more game types, leagues, etc. with a larger pool of players.

I'm not saying they suffered from a small player pool on any platform, I'm saying they can do more and do better for their players with a larger player pool.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Some of us have mates (plural I know!) playing on multiple platforms.

Not just that, but cross play would enhance player numbers, faster matchmaking and increased chances of being matched with similar skilled players.

No one in their right mind would excuse Sony for this. Sony can come up with "For the Shareholders" excuse if it wants but that does little for the players.

So, when the 360 was doing so well and forum users and pundits alike agreed that one of the major reasons was that it's because people want to play with their friends, secretly MS were praying that Sony would ask them to allow for cross platform play. Yeah, sounds reasonable.

Interfectum

Sony should absolutely explain why they are blocking cross play. I want to see their answer in their own words (meaning not from Sony's unpaid defenders on the internet).

They already have:

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children.jpg

gtj1092

Isn't it also better for consumers to not charge for Xbox live that would open up the pool of online players as well.

CookTrain

i'd argue that increasing the pool from 60m people you can befriend and voice chat with to 90m people you may or may not be able to fully interact with is a negative.

I don't think there are only 30m gamers on non-PS4 platforms. But I guess if you don't see a benefit, you don't see a benefit.

SOR5

It apparently is for a good majority of this thread.

It's absolutely fucking bonkers how people would prefer to isolate themselves out of brand loyalty then try and encourage crossplay.

You can SEE the business point of view, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's correct

It's so warming to see so many XB1 fans wanting to play with PS4 owners. Unfortunately, it looks like the only way they'll be able to do that is to buy a PS4. This is business suicide by Sony. Can't they see that!?

smh this is such an embarrassing response as a consumer

you don't think PS4 owners want a bigger player base and play with their friends on other platforms? for those that for some reason don't want crossplay you can turn if off, it literally doesn't affect you

How does voice chat work? How do you invite people to a shared world?

these are issues that can be solved, I remember voice chat worked fine when I played Portal 2 coop on my PS3 and my friend was on Steam

Reckheim

They already said why.

Regardless, not really sure why Phil is being criticized here, he was asked a question.

If anything its just lazy journalism asking him the same question over and over again, i'm sure the person asking the question knew what his answer was gonna be.

I'm not saying they suffered from a small player pool on any platform, I'm saying they can do more and do better for their players with a larger player pool.

And I was just saying I didn't see much benefit if it was just slightly better match making. I mean the game has a huge population.

Gaenor

Banned
So, when the 360 was doing so well and forum users and pundits alike agreed that one of the major reasons was that it's because people want to play with their friends, secretly MS were praying that Sony would ask them to allow for cross platform play. Yeah, sounds reasonable.

You’re way too into the console war to see clearly. Most of us just want this and would say the same thing if the roles were reversed.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
smh this is such an embarrassing response as a consumer

you don't think PS4 owners want a bigger player base and play with their friends on other platforms? for those that for some reason don't want crossplay you can turn if off, it literally doesn't affect you

MS would not do it if it was the other way around. This is just a nonsense narrative MS are using to gain some moral high ground.

flkraven

Player pool is only the half of it. This is what cross play does:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436208

How is the bad? Why do people find it easier to see things from the perspective of a company rather than fellow gamers that desire this feature?

thelastword

Banned
Phil, Sony does not want crossplay just like MS didn't want crossplay last gen. Sony is about their business, not trying to make MS's business better by providing paying live subscribers more people to play with.

No one has complained about not getting enough people to play with on PS4 Phil, If you need more players for Xbox...

1.) Get more people to buy the system
2.) Get more persons to sub for XBOX Live

It's that simple really.......

Also, MS is not fooling anybody with "I'm the good guy" routine, blame sony for not pushing this #4theplayas.....agenda. They're taking care of their playas Phil, with lots of reat first party franchises, the best multi's in the genration so far, remoteplay and shareplay and a screenshot/media function embedded into the system...

If talks wth Nintendo has been so great go ahead and roll that with them, with all this talk you would think all of this year's multiplats are crossplatform with Nintendo....Guess what, how many titles are corssplatform with Nintendo+MS...Hell, how many titles are crossplatform with XBOX and MS's own windows platform....

MS, you're not fooling anyone with this, gamers on PS4 don't care about this, neither does Sony so move on. Try to take care of your own playas with better first party efforts etc...

It's crazy that this is the same MS which had all that DRM stuff set up to launch in 2013, trying to pretend they're the good guys now and it's all in the interest of the community and gaming at large ;(...Where they proposed that you could'nt even share a game like this...

My advice to Phil;

Stop focusing on things that no one expects or deems mandatory when buying a console....(UHD Drive, Crossplatform play). Stop pretending these are more important than they are. You're only trying to push that angle that you have this and you're trying to push this and the other guy doesn't. That has not worked for XB1S with the UHD drive, it won't work for XBONEX and it won't work with this crossplay spiel. When I buy PSPLus, I buy into the PSN ecosystem, not Live...

The way I see it, MS should have just conceded this gen and concentrated on next gen by brewing some titles for XBOXTWO and gearing up a slew of first party franchises, but instead they're stuck on this..It's kinda pathetic tbh...

Nzyme32

You can put money on MS doing the exact opposite if the situations are reversed. As a dominant console platform, there is some sense in being against cross platform play when it ends up as a reason for people to purchase that dominant system to maintain their community of friends

Shitty but absolutely expected

EdgeXL

It's absolutely fucking bonkers how people would prefer to isolate themselves out of brand loyalty then try and encourage crossplay.

Between this and the loot box defenders I am convinced that if GAF had its way the gaming industry would implode.

The next logical step is to make cross play a feature you can get from buying loot boxes.

MS would not do it if it was the other way around. This is just a nonsense narrative MS are using to gain some moral high ground.
You can put money on MS doing the exact opposite if the situations are reversed. As a dominant console platform, there is some sense in being against cross platform play when it ends up as a reason for people to purchase that dominant system to maintain their community of friends

Shitty but absolutely expected

So why is Microsoft allowing Minecraft cross-play with Switch when more Xbox's have been sold than Switches? Minecraft wouldn't be hurting for a playerbase if it was just PC + Xbox + Mobile.

Trup1aya

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

Lol, they have never said this. Not once. Haven't even implied it. Note have they ever taken a stance against 3rd party sign ins.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.
First post nails it

flkraven

I haven't read that link that link yet but I don't think it's bad at all. I just want to understand why people are so passionate about it.

you don't even need to read the link. Just look at the picture.

Me personally: I'm passionate because I don't want to have to buy my wife's sister a god damn xbox one just so they can play minecraft together. She already has a PS4.

Ridley327

Isn't it also better for consumers to not charge for Xbox live that would open up the pool of online players as well.

Yes, it would be great if console manufacturers didn't charge for their online services. This is, however, not a problem specific to Microsoft.

RoyalFool

Banned
If you buy a Microsoft game from the Microsoft store on a Microsoft Windows PC, you can't even cross play with people who purchased the Microsoft game on a Microsoft PC using steam.

Fucking Sony!!!!!!

poodaddy

Between this post, your username, your avatar, and your tags, I can't stop laughing/grimacing.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Why don't we have more video game journalists hammering Sony and putting pressure on them regarding crossplay?
It MUST be because all of them are brand loyalists/investors as well according to some of your colorful imaginations.

CookTrain

If you buy a Microsoft game from the Microsoft store on a Microsoft Windows PC, you can't even cross play with people who purchased the Microsoft game on a Microsoft PC using steam.

Any games you have in mind specifically? Because they're doing exactly that of recent.

Fucking Sony!!!!!!

What? Something like Killer Instinct has cross-play between Steam and Windows Store/Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom