• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanphare

Banned
drag em phil

that "won't someone think of the children" excuse is clearly bullshit

sony needs to either cave or be more forthcoming with why they're holding out

and it should include why they're holding out with games like rocket league too so no "but xbox live login" bullshit either

anothertech

Tbh, MS could make an update with all the Minecraft upgrades for Ps4 version without the crossplay elements. But they’re using this as an excuse to hold the upgrades back.

That’s on MS, not Sony.

EdgeXL

It is also a bizzare example of Spencer worship, and amnesia. Crossplay needs to be embraced by consoles, it does nothing but help consumers. At the same time, the status quo was created by Microsoft, Sony is only choosing to perpetuate it.

Microsoft was rightly criticized for blocking cross play years ago.

Sony is being rightly criticized for blocking crossplay now.

As a PC only player, its weird to see Sony fans to vitriolically be against it.

Why would you not want cross play? Games with tiny playerbases get a population count boost. And you get to play with friends who dont have the same console.

Like aside from idiotic fanboyism, what is the downside of this?

I get why cross play wont work with PC, the controllers/mouse issue alone would wreck the system but as console guys surely you all should be pushing for it.

Shameful corporate worship in this thread.

drag em phil

that "won't someone think of the children" excuse is clearly bullshit

sony needs to either cave or be more forthcoming with why they're holding out

and it should include why they're holding out with games like rocket league too so no "but xbox live login" bullshit either

Sony wont give MS any advantage, thats why. Its obvious. If Sony start allowing this, then this suddenly becomes "the norm" for most 3rd part games and when ps5 comes out, then you dont actually need to buy one to play most games with your friends.

Thats the issue and thats why sony will never allow it.

Microsoft was rightly criticized for blocking cross play years ago.

Sony is being rightly criticized for blocking crossplay now.

There was also plenty of gloating by console war soldiers.

Coincidentally, its all happening again. Gee, whodathunkit.

Microsoft led attachment last gen - they said piss off to all cross play requests and Sony jibes about it.

Sony lead attachment this gen - and it’s like a weird pattern that is happening!
It's almost as if this is decided entirely for business reasons, in ways that both companies totally understand but refuse to state publicly.

phanphare

Banned
Sony wont give MS any advantage, thats why. Its obvious. If Sony start allowing this, then this suddenly becomes "the norm" for most 3rd part games and when ps5 comes out, then you dont actually need to buy one to play most games with your friends.

Thats the issue and thats why sony will never allow it.

that's silly though. that rationale assumes that sony's player base is the only way to differentiate it from the competition. if that were the case (which it is not) then sony should just stop making dedicated hardware.

also I'd love to hear that from sony instead of "oh the children!"

until then phil should press them every chance he gets

this guy just wants sony to give in so fucking bad

why combine everything together? there's hardly any exclusives on the wack xbox and i own it.

there needs to be competition or the product goes sour.

has no1 learned from VINCE MCMAHON?!?

It would have a MASSIVE impact for me. I have all game platforms but my mates are all spread on different ones.

If we could all one day game together, that would be one of the BIGGEST game changers for us.
Do you think that there will be a universal friends list? I thought it was just for random matchmaking, which would make it a pain to play with someone you actually wanted to play with.

Crossplay is good for gamers. Trying to refocus this issue on any other side tangent is sad. If you are doing this, you should feel bad.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why does he make it sound like their motivation is some nebulous thing? Its pretty apparent what their motivation is. They're the number 1 selling console world wide by a healthy margin and PSN is integral to that. They see no reason to give their main competitor in the console gaming space have access to their pool of players. I'm not saying this is a nice or consumer friendly move at all but their motivation is plain as day.

Septic360

Banned
Like in this case?

Nice of you to sneakily edit out the entire post:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=177422627

Or this:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=177431690

Nice try

Do you think that there will be a universal friends list? I thought it was just for random matchmaking, which would make it a pain to play with someone you actually wanted to play with.

Well we have to start somewhere. Before we can even start talking about universal friends lists and cross platform voice chat, we at least need cross play to be agreed amongst all platforms

phanphare

Banned
Tbh, MS could make an update with all the Minecraft upgrades for Ps4 version without the crossplay elements. But they’re using this as an excuse to hold the upgrades back.

That’s on MS, not Sony.

this is incorrect as the update is on an entirely new engine that hinges on everything being connected. servers, dlc, etc.

that's how I understand it anyway

sony said no so it's on them one hundo

that's silly though. that rationale assumes that sony's player base is the only way to differentiate it from the competition. if that were the case (which it is not) then sony should just stop making dedicated hardware.

Thats not silly at all. Thats a reason to buy a ps4, cause you have no choice if your friends are there.

Why does he make it sound like their motivation is some nebulous thing. Its pretty apparent what their motivation is. They're the number 1 selling console world wide by a healthy margin and they see no reason to give their main competitor in the console gaming space have access to their pool of players. I'm not saying this is a nice or consumer friendly move at all but their motivation is plain as day.

Pretty much. Is it right? No. Is it understandable? Yep.

I wonder if Phil would be pushing for this if they were selling more than PS4

Not a chance. They're trying to win hearts and minds since they'll probably be third this gen.

I think the Minecraft thing needs to be separated out in this discussion. The reasons for not having cross play are clearly different.

anothertech

this is incorrect as the update is on an entirely new engine that hinges on everything being connected. servers, dlc, etc.

that's how I understand it anyway

sony said no so it's on them one hundo
Haha no. Maybe someone should start asking Phil why they aren’t updating Ps4 version without the cross play elements.

It’s really a lame excuse tbh.

“Well we can’t just flip a switch..., everything is designed around it...”

Sure Phil.

no it's pretty silly and it ignores why sony got the player base lead in the first place
Crossplay had nothing to do with how Ps4 destroyed Xbone this gen.

Tbh, MS could make an update with all the Minecraft upgrades for Ps4 version without the crossplay elements. But they're using this as an excuse to hold the upgrades back.

That's on MS, not Sony.

MS would need to do much more than that, with the update the worlds are now stored in dedicated servers, MS would need to have servers just for PS4 players and everyone else on other servers, people playing on their phones and tablets still can't connect with PS4 players, the point of the update is the shared worlds and everyone play the same version of the game, why would they do that, no it's on Sony

The reason is simple.

Sony has huge advantage with the “I’m getting system Y because all my friends play on it” crowd. and that’s a very large crowd (I.e. this is near the top of most people’s cobsiderations nowadays).

Why erode that advantage in any capacity?

MS would have the same stance, had they continued their dominance this gen.

phanphare

Banned
Haha no. Maybe someone should start asking Phil why they aren’t updating Ps4 version without the cross play elements.

It’s really a lame excuse tbh.

“Well we can’t just flip a switch..., everything is designed around it...”

Sure Phil.

it is though so you are incorrect in your claims

MS would need to do much more than that, with the update the worlds are now stored in dedicated servers, MS would need to have servers just for PS4 players and everyone else on other servers, people playing on their phones and tablets still can't play with PS4 players, the point of the update is the shared worlds and everyone play the same version of the game, why would they do that, no it's on Sony

I don't see the issue. Would love to have a shared world to play with my PS4 buddies. Would be plenty popular.

mejin

I wonder if Phil would be pushing for this if they were selling more than PS4.

Of course not.

And right now, Phil has lots of problems to solve on the XBO side, but it's almost like the wants everyone to forget about it. So, that's why he focus on a subject like cross play with sony platform.

If Sony stated in response to EA Access and Crossplay that they value their own business interests over the interests of their customers, then Microsoft wouldn't be able to ask these questions anymore. They could however advertise to consumers on these public stances. So many here who acknowledge Sony's interest, are fine with Sony not going on the record, because they don't want Sony to face public backlash. It's odd that they would seek to protect Sony over valuing consumer choice, but opinions.

Head.spawn

There was also plenty of gloating by console war soldiers.

Coincidentally, its all happening again. Gee, whodathunkit.

Were they gloating when games were skipping out on the platform because they didn't allow crossplay? Or when they got versions walled off onto XBL-only Island?

If so, they were idiots.

It's honestly been an infuriating stance since as far back as I remember it being openly said by them. Glad they changed it.

anothertech

it is though so you are incorrect in your claims
I’m sure it’s as vital as always online was for Xbone, or Kinect 2, or any number of policies they 180’d this gen.

You can make up all the excuses for them you want, but MS hasn’t given one single legit reason for this. There’s no way the entire upgrade must hinge on crossplay and logging into Xbox live accounts.

Zok310

Banned
People still giving this guy shit over what his competitor is up to?
He needs to focus on bringing content to his brand and end the 1st party year long drought on his console, not worrying about Sony. Minecraft sells with or without crossplay, move the eff on already.

MS would have the same stance, had they continued their dominance this gen.

I don't think that's the case. There have been more Xboxs sold than Switches, and yet Microsoft was pushing for cross-play with Switch. They are actively going for cross-play with a platform that has a smaller playerbase. We haven't seen Satya/Spencer Xbox as the market leader, so we don't know if they'd act that way. The way they're treating Nintendo makes it look like they wouldn't.

Sony has other advantages beyond their player base, but don't get it mistaken - that is their number one advantage in the market right now. Not price, not power, not exclusives.

Most people buying a console at this stage in the lifespan are primarily concerned about who they'll play with in multiplatform games like Destiny, CoD, FIFA, etc. They've got other interests, but network is major. They're not giving it up without a fight.

no it's pretty silly and it ignores why sony got the player base lead in the first place

Sony are in it to make money. Not selling ps4s to people who can buy an xbox version to play with their ps4 friends doesnt help them in the big picture.

This literally gives them nothing to gain and everything to lose.

People still giving this guy shit over what his competitor is up to?
He needs to focus on bringing content to his brand and end the 1st party year long drought on his console, not worrying about Sony. mine craft sells with out without crossplay, move the eff on already.
Reading is hard.

Also no MS should not update a special snowflake version of Minecraft because Sony doesn’t want crossplay. That’s absurd.

Neith

Banned
I can't say I care anymore. Whatever happens it happens. Also, I hear the Xbox guy speaking about this like he actually ever gave a shit. No, it's convenient for him to shout about this, and that is the ONLY reason we are hearing it. Period.

I guess Spencer is newer but cmon, if the Xbox was in charge here I have a feeling this would be a non-issue.

Fix your first party. Stop worrying about this trivial shit. Make more great games like Ori and Cuphead and you will find yourself too busy to care.

I can't say I care anymore. Whatever happens it happens. Also, I hear the Xbox guy speaking about this like he actually ever gave a shit. No, it's convenient for him to shout about this, and that is the ONLY reason we are hearing it. Period.

I guess Spencer is newer but cmon, if the Xbox was in charge here I have a feeling this would be a non-issue.
Good fucking Christ. Does anyone of you know this was an interview with a game journalist?

These posts remind me of how Republican's do talking points.

phanphare

Banned
My point was I don't see the issue with separate servers for PS4.

I don't believe it's just the servers, it's everything about the new engine

I'm sure it's as vital as always online was for Xbone, or Kinect 2, or any number of policies they 180'd this gen.

You can make up all the excuses for them you want, but MS hasn't given one single legit reason for this. There's no way the entire upgrade must hinge on crossplay and logging into Xbox live accounts.

just because you are hand waving it away does not cease to make it a legit excuse

the new engine unifies everything. that is what it's centered around. it unifies the marketplace, the content across platforms, the servers, everything.

Sony are in it to make money. Not selling ps4s to people who can buy an xbox version to play with their ps4 friends doesnt help them in the big picture.

This literally gives them nothing to gain and everything to lose.

they have a last-gen version of the biggest video game currently on the market. sounds like they had something to lose and are losing it because of their decision.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
Executive of console manufacturer fights for consumer rights to make all games better for consumers and developers... consumers tell him to give up. Way to go guys.

Executive of console manafucator fights for the ability for a console that is massively outselling his console to be able to play with his console so that people don’t have to buy a PS4 if they want to play with their PS4 friends. I can’t believe anyone actually believes he’s fighting for the consumer. That’s sad. He’s fighting because then Xbox One is getting blown away by then PS4 and they want to take away the reason why people buy a PS4: to play COD with their friends on the same system

gtj1092

Yes, it would be great if console manufacturers didn't charge for their online services. This is, however, not a problem specific to Microsoft.

But Phil is worried about consumers and indie game player pools. He can directly control the cost of Xbox live so why doesn't he get rid of it? But he isn't actually worried about consumers or indie devs but his bottom line just like Sony and every other publisher.

I don't believe it's just the servers, it's everything about the new engine

just because you are hand waving it away does not cease to make it a legit excuse

the new engine unifies everything. that is what it's centered around. it unifies the marketplace, the content across platforms, the servers, everything.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom