• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Cross Play with Sony- "[Sony] should talk about what their view is"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this thread is going about as well as expected.

Anyway, his last point about indies is far and away the most important in my opinion. These games never build up the player base that the big AAA games do so crossplay would be invaluable in keeping these games afloat for longer periods of time and in some cases might even convince some indie developers to add in online multiplayer when they might have just stuck with local multiplayer before.

If Sony doesn't want to play ball of shit like Call of Duty and Battlefront then fine but actively fucking over smaller developers is pretty shitty whether they're the market leader or not.

blackflag

They have, they said if it requires an xbox live account to play on a PS4 then they are noping the fuck out of it.

How bout this guy does his job and actually opens some new first party studios, rather than moaning that they are not letting the trojan horse into their fort.

I'm pretty sure he can handle more than 1 thing at a time. I manage to, every day at my job.

Head.spawn

I'm sure it's as vital as always online was for Xbone, or Kinect 2, or any number of policies they 180'd this gen.

You can make up all the excuses for them you want, but MS hasn't given one single legit reason for this. There's no way the entire upgrade must hinge on crossplay and logging into Xbox live accounts.

Have you played it? Do you play Minecraft?

Because if you don't use Realms and you aren't using crossplay, you can't do LAN via other devices, you're not using crossbuy,.. there is literally no reason to jump on the new version. It would make absolutely no sense at all for them to create a new base version which is what every other modern version is based off of (iOS/Oculus/PC-Win10/Xbox/Switch/Android) and then go ahead and create yet another splintered version specifically for PS4 where those features are pulled out of it.

They would wind up with two versions: Minecraft: PS4 Edition and Minecraft (PS4) that are exactly the same.

What in the world would be the point of making a new version that doesn't take any of the actual new features? And then they'd have to maintain two separate PS4 specific versions that do exactly the same thing because....?

Anyway, his last point about indies is far and away the most important in my opinion. These games never build up the player base that the big AAA games do so crossplay would be invaluable in keeping these games afloat for longer periods of time and in some cases might even convince some indie developers to add in online multiplayer when they might have just stuck with local multiplayer before.

If Sony doesn't want to play ball of shit like Call of Duty and Battlefront then fine but actively fucking over smaller developers is pretty shitty whether they're the market leader or not.

Agreed.

phanphare

Banned
That doesn't make any sense to me.

here's a better post about this then I could make

I already explained to you more than once. So I'll just copy and paste this shit again, like I have been.

--------

Mojang is revamping the console versions of Minecraft, in order to unify their Minecraft development and achieve feature parity among all versions instead of developing several different versions alongside one another.

Cross-play is an important part of this initiative because it enables massive dedicated server support (formerly absent on consoles) in a way that's not fragmented. Community-hosted servers will be enabled alongside Mojang-provided servers. These servers house infinite sized worlds that can play host to hundreds or tens of thousands of players at once, allowing for a community and a world to be shaped. Each Minecraft server is like a MMO in and of itself, and these dedicated servers will allow players to play crossplatform, which will grow the community exponentially by extending the social possibilities of dedicated servers more meaningfully to all platforms.

As a consequence of denying cross-play, the PS4 version can't benefit from the lions share of features that this coming engine revamp is intended to enable, and in addition, in order to support the PS4 version, Mojang would need to dedicate time and resources to treat it like a separate version, exactly the situation they're trying to end with this engine revamp.
And so Mojang isn't going to expend the time and effort to upgrade that version of the game. Nor should they be expected to.
Since PS4 is not getting this engine revamp, it's not getting the graphics pack designed for the new engine.

------

The Better Together update is meant to

- consolidate Minecraft's ongoing development

and

- unify its communities across all platforms.

To that end, most versions of the game are being aligned to a common codebase, where updates can be pushed simultaneously and with parity. The PS4 version is not, because it cannot enjoy the most major benefits of the Better Together update without the cross-play support.

One of the most important parts of the Better Together update is dedicated server support. Mojang will themselves supply four large dedicated servers housing infinite worlds which can support thousands of players at any given time. These dedicated servers will be backed by online presence. Websites, discussion forums, the like. These dedicated servers are cross-play, keeping them unfragmented and unifying the community in a big way. Dedicated server support already existed on PC and mobile platforms (and they're the reasons why those are MC's most popular platforms - online dedicated servers are Minecraft's defining mode of play). Now, they're not only going to be available on every platform - they'll be unfragmented. Anyone can join any server from any platform. That's huge for Minecraft and its overarching community. And so, Mojang would have to be willing to fragment that community, providing PS4-only dedicated servers with their own separate web presence, in order to enable some weak semblance parity there. Going against half the intent of this update/upgrade.

There's also dlc purchases, which will become platform agnostic and carry over to every other platform, but when purchased on PS4, they won't. There's local play and online play with other platforms in their worlds, which PS4 version won't have. And the Super Duper Grafix pack. Because the PS4 version isn't getting the engine upgrade, because it'd necessitate its own team to develop bespoke updates for a version of the game that can't interface with the rest of them, a version of the game that would need its own updates separate from the one update pushed to the rest of the contemporary platforms - a problem that Mojang is trying to eliminate almost entirely by consolidating MC development into one overarching version for many platforms.

So, in other words, it would be self-defeating for Mojang to spend the time, effort, and money to upgrade Minecraft for PS4, when Minecraft players on PS4 ultimately still would not be able to utilize the main benefits of the Better Together update. The experience PS4 players have now with the game would be little different from the experience PS4 players would have with a Bedrock version of the game that doesn't support cross-play or MS acct functionality, so even beyond the reasons I outlined above, there's simply no reason for Mojang to pursue that.

------

You know, the fact that we've done this before is telling. You're not arguing from a point of sincerity here and that's clear as day now. I don't know if you're just being contrarian but whatever it is it's not a good look.

that should clear things up for people who don't understand why it wouldn't be as easy as flipping a switch to get the update on PS4 just without the crossplay. unifying everything is central to the engine itself.

Phil, Sony does not want crossplay just like MS didn't want crossplay last gen. Sony is about their business, not trying to make MS's business better by providing paying live subscribers more people to play with.

No one has complained about not getting enough people to play with on PS4 Phil, If you need more players for Xbox...

1.) Get more people to buy the system
2.) Get more persons to sub for XBOX Live

It's that simple really.......

Also, MS is not fooling anybody with "I'm the good guy" routine, blame sony for not pushing this #4theplayas.....agenda. They're taking care of their playas Phil, with lots of reat first party franchises, the best multi's in the genration so far, remoteplay and shareplay and a screenshot/media function embedded into the system...

If talks wth Nintendo has been so great go ahead and roll that with them, with all this talk you would think all of this year's multiplats are crossplatform with Nintendo....Guess what, how many titles are corssplatform with Nintendo+MS...Hell, how many titles are crossplatform with XBOX and MS's own windows platform....

MS, you're not fooling anyone with this, gamers on PS4 don't care about this, neither does Sony so move on. Try to take care of your own playas with better first party efforts etc...

It's crazy that this is the same MS which had all that DRM stuff set up to launch in 2013, trying to pretend they're the good guys now and it's all in the interest of the community and gaming at large ;(...Where they proposed that you could'nt even share a game like this...

My advice to Phil;

Stop focusing on things that no one expects or deems mandatory when buying a console....(UHD Drive, Crossplatform play). Stop pretending these are more important than they are. You're only trying to push that angle that you have this and you're trying to push this and the other guy doesn't. That has not worked for XB1S with the UHD drive, it won't work for XBONEX and it won't work with this crossplay spiel. When I buy PSPLus, I buy into the PSN ecosystem, not Live...

The way I see it, MS should have just conceded this gen and concentrated on next gen by brewing some titles for XBOXTWO and gearing up a slew of first party franchises, but instead they're stuck on this..It's kinda pathetic tbh...

This is like a hall of fame worthy post in terms of embarrassing system wars posts.

RoyalFool

Banned
It's odd that they would seek to protect Sony over valuing consumer choice, but opinions.

I exercised my consumer choice by buying a Playstation instead of an Xbox.

The xbox is too reliant on third party software because they shut down their own studios, this policy is turning the blade in that wound by making third-party titles less attractive on xbox. Microsoft only have themselves to blame, and until I have problems finding matches on Playstation; I'm not going to be pissed at Sony for taking advantage of it.

SOR5

Quote me in the 2022 thread with the retrospective "were those posters really saying that shit?" laughter

they have a last-gen version of the biggest video game currently on the market. sounds like they had something to lose and are losing it because of their decision.

A last gen MS game. People are still buying ps4s and it so theyre losing nothing ultimately. On rocket league, they have the most current version and they still wont support crossplay because of exactly what i said: Having to buy a ps4 to play the version with the biggest console install base. If you want that, they want you to buy a ps4, not an xbox.

You might not like or agree with it. All im telling you is that sony dont care. It gives them no advantage. MS have nothing to lose on this since theyre gonna do it anyway with stuff like play anywhere. Sony dont want that. They want you to keep buying playstations. Its as simple as that.

so as a consumer you rather Minecraft PS4 have separate servers than have Sony agreeing to crossplay so you can play with everyone else on the same servers?

No of course not.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Are you just signing in with a Microsoft email or will you be using xbox live friends list to invite people to your realm?

I mean if Microsoft are forcing any Xbox functionality then obviously Sony is going to say no.

ResoRai

you're telling me they sold 60 million systems but it needs xbox cross-play so it can match me up with 11 people who slept with my mum?

4YDGlHu.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436208&highlight=

I swear some of y'all latch on to the overly negative aspects of gaming and form your opinions based off them. Im sure these kids are just happy they get to play with each other on their favorite platforms.

phanphare

Banned
A last gen MS game. People are still buying ps4s and it so theyre losing nothing ultimately. On rocket league, they have the most current version and they still wont support crossplay because of exactly what i said: Having to buy a ps4 to play the version with the biggest console install base. If you want that, they want you to buy a ps4, not an xbox.

You might not like or agree with it. All im telling you is that sony dont care. It gives them no advantage. MS have nothing to lose on this since theyre gonna do it anyway with stuff like play anywhere. Sony dont want that. They want you to keep buying playstations. Its as simple as that.

having a gimped version of the biggest video game on the market doesn't sound like a good way to get people to buy into your console ecosystem

who knows, maybe this is actually a win for Sony!

I exercised my consumer choice by buying a Playstation instead of an Xbox.

The xbox is too reliant on third party software because they shut down their own studios, this policy is turning the blade in that wound by making third-party titles less attractive on xbox. Microsoft only have themselves to blame, and until I have problems finding matches on Playstation; I'm not going to be pissed at Sony for taking advantage of it.

I have not enjoyed your points of view in this thread and don't plan on engaging with you.

here's a better post about this then I could make

that should clear things up for people who don't understand why it wouldn't be as easy as flipping a switch to get the update on PS4 just without the crossplay. unifying everything is central to the engine itself.

I still find that a load of rubbish as reasoning. Do you think modern multi platform games are developed completely independently because there's no cross play/dlc. No of course not. They develop the game centrally then compile it for each machine. So what if one of the servers is separate. They can charge the same. Sony players will still lose the cross platform functionality which sucks but but they'd get the persistent servers. Money left on the table.

Ridley327

But Phil is worried about consumers and indie game player pools. He can directly control the cost of Xbox live so why doesn't he get rid of it? But he isn't actually worried about consumers or indie devs but his bottom line just like Sony and every other publisher.
Because the price of the online service isn't going to help or harm player populations in any major way. Gravity Rush 2 is shutting down its online functionality in a couple of months, and those don't require PS+ to access and will have only lasted a year.

having a gimped version of the biggest video game on the market doesn't sound like a good way to get people to buy into your console ecosystem

who knows, maybe this is actually a win for Sony!

It isnt a win, but its a MS game and theyre the market leaders by far, so they dont care.

Pejo

Gold Member
I feel like too many people are letting their feelings into how they look at this. It's a bad business decision for Sony to allow this. Plain and simple. They're market leaders, they want people to buy games to play in their ecosystem. They moneyhat for those stupid content exclusivity deals like Destiny and Colladoodie.

MS is not the market leader. They gain a huge playerbase by allowing cross platform. They gain positive word of mouth for championing the idea. There's no reason for them to not do it.

I personally don't care either way since I don't play competitive games online, but it makes sense from both sides of why they're acting like they are, and it's not because whoever this "Sony" guy is hates indies, or that Phil is a great guy that's looking out for you.

Dabanton

And considering how much Sony relied on smaller devs to bulk out the first few years of the PS4 absolutely hilarious, but these issues are always things that end biting the market leader in the ass when they release their next machine.

Like you said CoD and BF are very particular cases but is a small indie game going to make up someone’s mind where they play if it does crossplay?

Ploid 3.0

When is the minecraft update live anyway? It seems to be in beta or something since there's an OT on gaf, but when I asked my nephew multiple times over weeks he never seemed to know anything about it, and he plays it whenever he gets a chance (PC, using the minecraft launcher not the windows 10 version).

Is the minecraft java or whatever launcher not part of it?

phanphare

Banned
I still find that a load of rubbish as reasoning. Do you think modern multi platform games are developed completely independently because there's no cross play/dlc. No of course not. They develop the game centrally then compile it for each machine. So what if one of the servers is separate. They can charge the same. Sony players will still lose the cross platform functionality which sucks but but they'd get the persistent servers. Money left on the table.

if you read that entire post and still think it's a load of rubbish then I don't really know what else to say

you seem unable to accept the reality of the situation

Sony are in it to make money. Not selling ps4s to people who can buy an xbox version to play with their ps4 friends doesnt help them in the big picture.

This literally gives them nothing to gain and everything to lose.

This.
I feel like a few people point this out every time threads like this are made, yet many either miss it or purposefully ignore it.

Slow down and try re reading that quoted post until you actually understand it. Then, speak.
You might come off a bit less ignorant that way.

This.
I feel like a few people point this out every time threads like this are made, yet many either miss it or purposefully ignore it.

I think my issue is that I can understand the business reality behind this. I can understand that some people just accept reality for what it is. Like if your take is "yeah, this sucks, but I understand why they're doing this. Maybe they'll come around eventually, but it's not something I'm going to boycott the platform over or anything."

Yep. Totally get it. This is not at all an embarrassing take on the situation.

But the reactions that defy reasoning are like "pffttt.... lols. Stay losing MS. You think Sony is going to let your puny userbase mingle with the winners over on PSN? As if. Try making your own platform not terrible. Or better yet, tell your userbase to buy a PS4 so they can play where real gamers are! #BasedCerny #4ThePlayers Banderas.gif"

I mean if Sony doesn’t want to accept the better together update that’s fine. That’s their business to do it. However it may not affect them in the short term but the long term gain might not happen and could loose players who are into Minecraft. MS will be updating this game for years to come with newer bigger features that support the update. Updates the ps4 version won’t get if ever. They will by default have the most outdated version of Minecraft on a current gen console. It sucks and they really need to think this through. Minecraft isn’t a normal game like cod or battlefield. It’s almost it’s own platform. So while they don’t care now, little jimmy might care and could easily switch his preference to an iPad or even a small PC and buy his dlc somewhere else. Loosing Sony money.

This.

The only reason that "reason" is unjustified is because Sony is not guaranteed always to be market leader. I guess they like the profits now? Cross-play between all consoles will eventually become the norm at some point and I promise you it will happen once sony isnt the leader anymore. Its like when they announced you have to pay for online. Yall hated xbox for it until it happened.

Dunkley

When is the minecraft update live anyway? It seems to be in beta or something since there's an OT on gaf, but when I asked my nephew multiple times over weeks he never seemed to know anything about it, and he plays it whenever he gets a chance (PC, using the minecraft launcher not the windows 10 version).

The Better Together update has a unified codebase written in C++. Minecraft Java is understandably not a part of it thus due to being written in a different language.

Because of that, the PC has two versions. The Windows 10 version is the Bedrock Engine one with Cross-Play, and the Java version that will still get all the features but keep running on Java. (For modding and stuff)

If you own the Java version you should have the Windows 10 version as well. Not sure if they changed it but that's how I got the Win10 version.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
that's silly though. that rationale assumes that sony's player base is the only way to differentiate it from the competition.

No, it does not assume that, it just says it is A differentiator not the only one like you are saying. Differentiator is worth money, simple.

Natiko

Banned
Good lord, console wars make me embarrassed to play video games sometimes. Not everything has to be Sony vs. Microsoft. I own both systems and could play a game on either one, but crossplay would be a nice quality of life feature to ensure I can play with all of my friends at all times and not need multiple copies of a game. This is true regardless of who is leading in sales. Yes, it is Sony’s right to decline this feature but it’s still an anti-consumer move. No amount of fellating will change that.

Sony's view: "Fuck you. We're the market leader. We'll do what we want."

I'm certain Microsoft would play it exactly the same way if they were in that position.

Business is business. Why give any quarter to a competitor?

Barren Mind

I'm curious on how important is it to players to have cross play? Honestly if it doesn't adversely impact gamers I don't see the harm in it as it'd only broaden connectivity amongst gamers. Obviously there are business components to consider but it seems this kind of move would help both companies as well as the gaming industry. Maybe I'm missing something.

Tarrin

I don't think the Java version gets Better Together. It's also delayed on Switch I believe.

phanphare

Banned
Is it as complex as the impossible task of turning off online DRM was near launch?

I'll just quote this wonderful post by Huge Succeeded again, it should help clarify things for you. ignore the snarkiness, if you follow the quote Huge Succeeded was responding to someone who had already been explained the situation multiple times.

I already explained to you more than once. So I'll just copy and paste this shit again, like I have been.

--------

Mojang is revamping the console versions of Minecraft, in order to unify their Minecraft development and achieve feature parity among all versions instead of developing several different versions alongside one another.

Cross-play is an important part of this initiative because it enables massive dedicated server support (formerly absent on consoles) in a way that's not fragmented. Community-hosted servers will be enabled alongside Mojang-provided servers. These servers house infinite sized worlds that can play host to hundreds or tens of thousands of players at once, allowing for a community and a world to be shaped. Each Minecraft server is like a MMO in and of itself, and these dedicated servers will allow players to play crossplatform, which will grow the community exponentially by extending the social possibilities of dedicated servers more meaningfully to all platforms.

As a consequence of denying cross-play, the PS4 version can't benefit from the lions share of features that this coming engine revamp is intended to enable, and in addition, in order to support the PS4 version, Mojang would need to dedicate time and resources to treat it like a separate version, exactly the situation they're trying to end with this engine revamp.
And so Mojang isn't going to expend the time and effort to upgrade that version of the game. Nor should they be expected to.
Since PS4 is not getting this engine revamp, it's not getting the graphics pack designed for the new engine.

------

The Better Together update is meant to

- consolidate Minecraft's ongoing development

and

- unify its communities across all platforms.

To that end, most versions of the game are being aligned to a common codebase, where updates can be pushed simultaneously and with parity. The PS4 version is not, because it cannot enjoy the most major benefits of the Better Together update without the cross-play support.

One of the most important parts of the Better Together update is dedicated server support. Mojang will themselves supply four large dedicated servers housing infinite worlds which can support thousands of players at any given time. These dedicated servers will be backed by online presence. Websites, discussion forums, the like. These dedicated servers are cross-play, keeping them unfragmented and unifying the community in a big way. Dedicated server support already existed on PC and mobile platforms (and they're the reasons why those are MC's most popular platforms - online dedicated servers are Minecraft's defining mode of play). Now, they're not only going to be available on every platform - they'll be unfragmented. Anyone can join any server from any platform. That's huge for Minecraft and its overarching community. And so, Mojang would have to be willing to fragment that community, providing PS4-only dedicated servers with their own separate web presence, in order to enable some weak semblance parity there. Going against half the intent of this update/upgrade.

There's also dlc purchases, which will become platform agnostic and carry over to every other platform, but when purchased on PS4, they won't. There's local play and online play with other platforms in their worlds, which PS4 version won't have. And the Super Duper Grafix pack. Because the PS4 version isn't getting the engine upgrade, because it'd necessitate its own team to develop bespoke updates for a version of the game that can't interface with the rest of them, a version of the game that would need its own updates separate from the one update pushed to the rest of the contemporary platforms - a problem that Mojang is trying to eliminate almost entirely by consolidating MC development into one overarching version for many platforms.

So, in other words, it would be self-defeating for Mojang to spend the time, effort, and money to upgrade Minecraft for PS4, when Minecraft players on PS4 ultimately still would not be able to utilize the main benefits of the Better Together update. The experience PS4 players have now with the game would be little different from the experience PS4 players would have with a Bedrock version of the game that doesn't support cross-play or MS acct functionality, so even beyond the reasons I outlined above, there's simply no reason for Mojang to pursue that.

------

You know, the fact that we've done this before is telling. You're not arguing from a point of sincerity here and that's clear as day now. I don't know if you're just being contrarian but whatever it is it's not a good look.

Sony's view: "Fuck you. We're the market leader. We'll do what we want."

I'm certain Microsoft would play it exactly the same way if they were in that position.

Business is business. Why give any quarter to a competitor?

Im not sure about that actually, MS is actually releasing their games now in a way that you dont even need an xbox to play them. Thats a pretty big shift in their console philosophies if you ask me. Sony are staying the more traditional route, which is their right.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Cuningas de Häme;251820674 said:
So, so many hot takes from Sony shills. I mean, how can one view Cross Play as bad for players?

Insane.

I can't recall anyone saying it would be bad for players. I have however seen sensible people explaining (or trying to) why Sony would not want to do this. If you wish to call people who are explaining why a company would not want to do this 'shills' then perhaps you need to look at your perspective and perhaps consider the implications of this stance.

ResoRai

I think my issue is that I can understand the business reality behind this. I can understand that some people just accept reality for what it is. Like if your take is "yeah, this sucks, but I understand why they're doing this. Maybe they'll come around eventually, but it's not something I'm going to boycott the platform over or anything."

But the reactions that defy reasoning are like "pffttt.... lols. Stay losing MS. You think Sony is going to let your puny userbase mingle with the winners over on PSN? As if. Try making your own platform not terrible. Or better yet, tell your userbase to buy a PS4 so they can play where real gamers are! #BasedCerny #4ThePlayers Banderas.gif"
This is my issue aswell. I understand buisness reasons, but if crossplay can keep on being pushed and brought up I have no problem with it, because it'll benefit a lot of people. I've seen a lot of people who aren't necessarily in your latter category who want the conversations and the pressure dropped.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I completely agree with the first part of this sentiment. However, I feel it's a big leap to 'assume' the second to be the legitimate interpretation of the majority of posts I'm seeing. I'm just interested in the reality and can fully get on board with those people who feel it would be a good idea for those who can't afford a second console and wish to play with their friends. My gripe is that MS are pushing this narrative to create the idea Sony are simply 'against the player' in order to take the high moral ground. This is both disingenuous from a company that practiced the exact same thing last gen and know FULL WELL why Sony are doing this.

How about we demand that Spencer gives his opinion on why he thinks Sony is doing this instead of avoiding the obvious in order to allow this conversation to expand without context. He knows what he's doing. He's deliberately stirring the pot while simultaneously sidestepping the real issue.

Ploid 3.0

The Better Together update has a unified codebase written in C++. Minecraft Java is understandably not a part of it thus due to being written in a different language.

Because of that, the PC has two versions. The Windows 10 version is the Bedrock Engine one with Cross-Play, and the Java version that will still get all the features but keep running on Java. (For modding and stuff)

If you own the Java version you should have the Windows 10 version as well. Not sure if they changed it but that's how I got the Win10 version.

I don't think the Java version gets Better Together. It's also delayed on Switch I believe.

Thanks for the replies. Next time I visit I'll install the win10 version for him. I gave him my other gaming PC so I want him to get the most out of it with the graphic update. Though he will want his modes and friends on that version I'm sure. Good thing both versions can be installed at once. I just want his reaction to the update, the only minecraft addict I know.

TheYanger

I completely agree with the first part of this sentiment. However, I feel it's a big leap to 'assume' the second to be the legitimate interpretation of the majority of posts I'm seeing.

It's not an 'assumption' when it's literally what their posts are. Sony shills in this thread are actively embarassing themselves.

Ploid 3.0

I feel that a company that is truly #ForThePlayers would do enable cross play for those players.

Thinking about it, I think any game that uses console cross play needs to have it's own friend list system. Like STV's Capcom Fighter Network (hey is Marvel vs Capcom Infinite cross play with PS4 and PC?), Epic's account system, and so on. Cross voice probably won't work, but you can send text messages or invites. Without this type of system, it seems like it would just be a bit harder to play with specific people. Rocket League is apparently annoying to play with friends in ranked across PS4 and PC.

I think the big cross play efforts need to set ground rules, and work towards having it ready next gen from the start. Make a unified system, do what steam does with games that have their own client but later joins steam. Charge a % cut for players that ever played on system X when they buy DLC/currency/anything, even if they move to another system system X will always get it's share. You'd need a unified account system for that though, and DLC would probably get more expensive if games with crossplay wants to share all DLC no matter what system you play on.

Who am I kidding when I say DLC though. Everything will be Loot Crates. In fact I should just swap out "DLC/currency/anything" for "Loot Crates."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom