• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I can't wait to see Evernote on the X. I'm relying on it so much, even if the update only brings 2 more lines of text, I won't be able to resist this longer screen.

For you guys who have tried iOS 11, is switching between apps (mostly to copy paste text) an upgrade from iOS 10?

ElyrionX

Apple purposely made the iPhone 8 to make everyone buy into their more expensive X. $300 more per unit in their pocket. Because they know their base won't settle for a less desirable 8. Pretty fucked up in Apples part do this to their base, but that's how Apple is. They don't care about their base as long profit is good. I guess their base deserve this evil business practice.

Well, businesses are out to make a profit and to grow them so Apple is doing the natural thing it should.

Would I prefer if the iPhone X was cheaper? Of course.

Did the iPhone X price make me think harder about whether I am willing to pay the price? Definitely.

Can I afford the iPhone X? Most definitely and that's why I am buying it.

Just because people are fans of Apple does not mean anyone is putting a gun to our head to make us buy the product. I buy it because I want to and because I can afford it. At the very least, I can walk away knowing that it's a relatively exclusive product because it's so goddamn expensive.

DOWN

Banned
Man, it still baffles me why Apple of all companies decided to use that notch at the top looking like that.

Could have used something like the S8/Note8/V30 did and it wouldn't look annoying on full screen apps/videos.
Almost certainly because they want a recognizable slimmer silhouette to replace the iconic home button. We all know what an iPhone looks like largely because of the shapes we see even when someone is using a third party app and has a case on. It’s that recognizable.

iPhone-Devs-Reminded-to-Use-App-Store-Badges-for-Increased-Visibility-of-their-App-2.png

And really, why not? It looks cool to me and doesn’t negatively effect anything besides zoomed in video playback, which I never would do and isn’t the default.

Jigolo

Man, it still baffles me why Apple of all companies decided to use that notch at the top looking like that.

Could have used something like the S8/Note8/V30 did and it wouldn't look annoying on full screen apps/videos.
My honest guess is that it'll look like a bigger deal when they remove it in a few years.

Fliesen

I'm trying to think of a scenario where that'd occur and can't come up with anything? Typically your phone is either in your pocket, or being held and used by you (in which case it'd already be unlocked by your face).

Probably what happened here is they had someone preparing the phone to be demoed by wiping off the fingerprints/cleaning the screen/plugging it into the projector etc and that person accidentally triggered the 5 failed unlocks that require a passcode.

But typically you're the only person handling your phone so I can't see this being an issue.

yeah, it's not going to be a big issue at all, but it's certainly going to happen more often than people putting their thumb on your home button, i would presume. Like, when someone lifts your phone - it wakes, and if it finds a face, it'll consider it an unlock attempt.
Like, someone handing you your phone would already be a failed unlock attempt in many cases.

In no way did i mean to imply that this was a big deal worth reconsidering the validity of FaceID over, though.

Jeffrey

Watching everything apple pros new video

https://youtu.be/4tHYvQxrcU8

This really does feel like a concept phone. Way too many head scratchers like the lost or reachability and weird landscape mode.

Think they are just taking a book from xiaomi. Why keep prototypes in testing when you can just sell it to fat pocket customers as well?

Feels like 2018 is when the kinks will be ironed out hardware and software wise.

Reminds me of the retina iPad kinda.

Jeffrey

Elaborate? How is the reachability worse than on iPhone 8 +?
Like there is literally no reachability mode on 10 (double tap home button to bring down UI to make easier for 1 hand mode)

And with the lack of bezels to swipe up for home stuff and reaching for top right bunny ear for command center...

Just seems like not the easiest phone to even kinda use with 1 hand which isn't too hard on a current iPhone plus.

Maybe it's easy to get used to? Engadget guy was really struggling trying to just 1 hand the iPhone x.

sirap

Like there is literally no reachability mode on 10 (double tap home button to bring down UI to make easier for 1 hand mode)

And with the lack of bezels to swipe up for home stuff and reaching for top right bunny ear for command center...

Just seems like not the easiest phone to even kinda use with 1 hand which isn't too hard on a current iPhone plus.

Maybe it's easy to get used to? Engadget guy was really struggling trying to just 1 hand the iPhone x.

They should do what Samsung did and let you swipe from the corner to activate reachability mode.

Yes but it's much smaller than the iPhone Plus. Reachability existed because the plus is so large. This is nearly the same size as the base iPhone which never had it.

I think the software is solid for the first iteration after such a large change. It really is the biggest change any iPhone has had ever. Dropping the home button I mean. But you are right. I expect them to come up with new shit/better ideas throughout the year as people use it more for iOS12. It does kind of seem like this was just the best they could come up with for the time being but it makes sense for iOS to evolve around this new future.

Fliesen

Yes but it's much smaller than the iPhone Plus. Reachability existed because the plus is so large. This is nearly the same size as the base iPhone which never had it.

- i use an iPhone 7.
- my hands are not particularly big.
- i use reachability when using my phone one handed.

So yeah, that's a definite drawback. The screen's taller than on the 7, yet this feature is gone.

kiguel182

I wouldn’t mind a smaller X going forward. Maybe next year they can produce two sizes. An iPhone 8 that is all screen sounds good to me. The X is kinda in between the two.

I’ll need to see it I’m person I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish they'd taken the opportunity to align some of the design language between models. Would have definitely been more into an iphone 8 with white back but black front..

Fliesen

I wouldn’t mind a smaller X going forward.Maybe next year they can produce two sizes. An iPhone 8 that is all screen sounds good to me. The X is kinda in between the two.

But that's what the iPhone X kinda is.
The iPhone 8Plus' screen on the iPhone 8's body.

I'd love for them to go back to a single size, which would once again make all the features (like dual camera) accessible to people who prefer not to have a huge-ass phone.

Damon

I wouldn’t mind a smaller X going forward. Maybe next year they can produce two sizes. An iPhone 8 that is all screen sounds good to me. The X is kinda in between the two.

iPhone 7 is like the sweet spot for me.

X is a little bigger but doesn't seem hugely but would have to see it in person also, shame it probably wont appear in Apple stores until late October/November on display im guessing.

See PhoneArena size comparison
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/A...one-X_id10414/size/Apple-iPhone-7/phones/9815

Zojirushi

I'll give you $300 and you go build a phone like the X. Not picking on you or anything but it's funny how people think that a product's true cost is the materials it's made out of.

Exactly. All that Bay Area tech folk shelling out millions of dollars for houses gotta eat too. So you better pay up people.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Same! As is I'll be getting the black 8 plus.

Reminds me I wanted the dual cameras on the 8..

Tell me the dual cameras aren't very useful and the 8 will be just fine..

An iPhone 8 with white back & black front, and twin lenses would have been a no brainer for me.

kiguel182

But that's what the iPhone X kinda is.
The iPhone 8Plus' screen on the iPhone 8's body.

I'd love for them to go back to a single size, which would once again make all the features (like dual camera) accessible to people who prefer not to have a huge-ass phone.

It's slightly bigger but I'll have to see it in person to know how it feels. I really like the size of the "regular" iPhone screen. It's a shame they cut features from the smaller one so I do agree that one size solves that.

I wouldn't mind a 4.7 inch, bezeleless iPhone.

Oxn

Reminds me I wanted the dual cameras on the 8..

Tell me the dual cameras aren't very useful and the 8 will be just fine..

An iPhone 8 with white back & black front, and twin lenses would have been a no brainer for me.

Each model has it pros and cons for me

8: I want to downsize my 6+, but missing the good camera
8+: the good camera, but i hate the size now
X: Show off to my friends that im better than them.

reKon

Banned
Watching everything apple pros new video

https://youtu.be/4tHYvQxrcU8

This really does feel like a concept phone. Way too many head scratchers like the lost or reachability and weird landscape mode.

Think they are just taking a book from xiaomi. Why keep prototypes in testing when you can just sell it to fat pocket customers as well?

Feels like 2018 is when the kinks will be ironed out hardware and software wise.

Reminds me of the retina iPad kinda.

I remember when you asked about if there a a reachability mode in post and I almost replied saying "yeah why the hell wouldn't there be one?"

That's just inexcusable. I'm sure a lot will be updated in the future for a better experience, but it's funny how Apple fans will be praising Apple for only making bigs moves and adding features once its perfected when that's hardly true. Apple's 2nd versions of new products are always much improved (i.e. Apple Watch). The reason that I stay away from iPhones is the shitty OS set up and overall functionality. Notification handling still sucks. No split screen mode (unless that's changed in iOS 11). It just takes a longer to navigate through the OS to for things where it shouldn't (not sure if iOS improves that). Lack of default apps, lack of very basic customization, and lack of sharing/communication between apps. The UX is not aesthetically pleasing compared to what you can get on stock Android or Android skins. Changing things in the settings is a convulated mess (compared to Android). A lot of these things can be fixed though. It's just that Apple is stubborn for most of this shit because they truly believe everything is intuitive, easy, and magical in use. Like c'mon.

Disappointing that the battery life of the X seems to be more comparable to the 7 than the Plus. It's going to be hard to go back to needing to charge all the time after using the Plus models for the last 3 years. At least fast-charging will make it less painful.

reKon

Banned
Disappointing that the battery life of the X seems to be more comparable to the 7 than the Plus. It's going to be hard to go back to needing to charge all the time after using the Plus models for the last 3 years. At least fast-charging will make it less painful.

Where are you getting this information? I expect battery life to improve, especially for watching video because of the OLED display. Didn't they said that they estimate 2 hour longer battery life compared to the 8?

wachie

Love when people post misleading things.

The "hypothetical X" you posted on the right is taller and the screen would start much lower than that. In other words, it wouldnt look as good.

Personally the notch is fine with me, I feel like people are making it a bigger deal than it is.

Yeah, I feel the same.

Other way to look at it is that it's 1 hour less than the Plus so its going to be around 30% at the end of the day instead of 40% for my usage case. Fast charging and charging mats at work will help alleviate this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I'm confused, I thought Apple said the battery for the X lasts 2 hours more than the 7/Plus.

Kinan

Where are you getting this information? I expect battery life to improve, especially for watching video because of the OLED display. Didn't they said that they estimate 2 hour longer battery life compared to the 8?

According to the apple website, X is closer to the 8+ than to 8 in battery life. Plus has an extra hour listed in video playback and internet use, so slightly better still

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So the keynote FaceID failure was as everyone expected. People handling the phone prior to the demo caused it to lock out requiring passcode not realizing it was trying to authenticate them while they were handling it. Still unfortunate that its big stage debut it failed. But in this cases not sure how it could not without like covering it up til Craig using it. Especially with FaceID locking after only two failures.

Jeffrey

I'm curious how hard it would to port splitscreen to iPhone from iPad. Most universal apps already are adaptive.

Splitscreen isn't ideal on phones but I've still use it plenty. Watching a video while on social media or gaf.

Apple chips destroy Qualcomm easily, but you can do so much more easier and quicker on like a s8 or more 8 with splitscreen and picture in picture nonsense.

I assume this will be a thing once apple releases a bezeless iPhone plus?

You just never know lol.

jediyoshi

Apple purposely made the iPhone 8 to make everyone buy into their more expensive X. $300 more per unit in their pocket. Because they know their base won't settle for a less desirable 8. Pretty fucked up in Apples part do this to their base, but that's how Apple is. They don't care about their base as long profit is good. I guess their base deserve this evil business practice.

How does this post read if they didn't make the 8?

OmniOne

So are the Airbuds being sold now, the new ones they showed that can do Qi charging?

I can't find anything on the site with information about when/how to get those.

killroy87

I think I'm gonna go with the 8. I've tried to justify the extra $300, but it's really tough. I'll grab whatever the next gen of this phone is.

NekoFever

I'll give you $300 and you go build a phone like the X. Not picking on you or anything but it's funny how people think that a product's true cost is the materials it's made out of.

And that R&D, software development, tooling, etc doesn't cost anything.

It's not just phones. You see this mentality all the time when someone does a breakdown of the hardware inside any gadget.

SuperPac

So are the Airbuds being sold now, the new ones they showed that can do Qi charging?

I can't find anything on the site with information about when/how to get those.

No, that is apparently a new charging case that will go on sale separately when the Air Power pad comes out.

DOWN

Banned
On Apple’s site, it says Plus lasts about an hour longer than regular 7. So lasting two hours longer than 7 means the X is still better battery than the Plus.

Kyoufu

On Apple’s site, it says Plus lasts about an hour longer than regular 7. So lasting two hours longer than 7 means the X is still better battery than the Plus.

It says the Plus lasts an hour more than the X in video playback and internet browsing.

So the X's battery life is inferior to the Plus.

Top Bottom