• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

The simple fact that you need to raise your phone to your face makes Face ID a less convenient and elegant solution than Touch ID.

I don't care what apple says about how well it recognizes your face. The act of unlocking your phone takes longer than it used to and by default that is a worse solution.

Your phone is on a desk and right now you just put your finger on it and it instantly unlocks. With Face ID, you now have either move your face in front of your phone and look down at it, or pick it up.

Right now you can already have your phone unlocked and ready by the time you put your hand into your pocket/bag to take it out.

Paying with Face ID is even worse. Touch ID worked perfectly.

Touch ID will come back as soon as they figure out how to get the fingerprint sensor in the screen.

They will have to keep Face ID around for a few years because even if they get the screen fingerprint reader figured out by next year, they won't be able to go back on such a big new thing they hyped up.

DOWN

Banned
I love how Apple is constantly knocking on Google for their privacy practices but Apple was the first to collect people's fingerprints on a massive scale and are now moving on to face data.
The fingerprints never leave the phone. Apple can’t get them. Same system for Face ID. Nice try.

Davide

web-notch.png
That doesn't look good

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I didn't know Safari pads website in landscape mode with white so the notch doesn't cover content lol. Apple please.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/14/iphone-x-notch-photos-video/

why the hell are they padding both sides? Why is symmetry so bloody important? If I'm paying £1000 for that screen let me use it. "Hey, here is a lovely edge to edge screen. That'll be £1000. Now with a wave of our magic wand, we'll make it look like an iphone 8 with huge bezels"

The video argument doesn't work either - they again pad both sides, so you get a thick border around content wider than 16:9. That isn't a solution I want. I want it right justifed.

DOWN

Banned
While i absolutely agree with you and feel like mobile safari should just use black bars in landscape...

... who really uses safari in landscape?! :/
Not me. I don’t think anybody ever uses that orientation lock for landscape either. Portrait is king on smartphones

ElyrionX

Wait what. 8+ has better battery life than X? Ok, now I need to think about it. So 8+ has the best battery life in the entire iPhone lineup now?

DOWN

Banned
Wait what. 8+ has better battery life than X? Ok, now I need to think about it. So 8+ has the best battery life in the entire iPhone lineup now?
Hardly. They’re overall almost the same. 21 hours overall, 60 hours music. But X had 12 on the Internet vs Plus has 13, and X has 13 video vs Plus has 14. Not much difference.

Red

why the hell are they padding both sides? Why is symmetry so bloody important? If I'm paying £1000 for that screen let me use it. "Hey, here is a lovely edge to edge screen. That'll be £1000. Now with a wave of our magic wand, we'll make it look like an iphone 8 with huge bezels"

The video argument doesn't work either - they again pad both sides, so you get a thick border around content wider than 16:9. That isn't a solution I want. I want it right justifed.
youre not wrong

I don't have any strong feelings toward the notch, but I think Apple is making a poor decision on how to display content on the X.

VoxPop

Id be shocked if they didn't have a jailbreak tweak for the X to just make the notch thing one straight line like how everyone wants it.

you want it to be off-center?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Hardly. They’re overall almost the same. 21 hours overall, 60 hours music. But X had 12 on the Internet vs Plus has 13, and X has 13 video vs Plus has 14. Not much difference.
Do you know how this compares to 6S+? I love the battery on this, hope it's the same or better.

DJ88

The simple fact that you need to raise your phone to your face makes Face ID a less convenient and elegant solution than Touch ID.

I don't care what apple says about how well it recognizes your face. The act of unlocking your phone takes longer than it used to and by default that is a worse solution.

Your phone is on a desk and right now you just put your finger on it and it instantly unlocks. With Face ID, you now have either move your face in front of your phone and look down at it, or pick it up.

Right now you can already have your phone unlocked and ready by the time you put your hand into your pocket/bag to take it out.

Paying with Face ID is even worse. Touch ID worked perfectly.

Touch ID will come back as soon as they figure out how to get the fingerprint sensor in the screen.

They will have to keep Face ID around for a few years because even if they get the screen fingerprint reader figured out by next year, they won't be able to go back on such a big new thing they hyped up.

It's never coming back.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's never coming back.

yeah, people need to get over it. Like the headphone jack, it is never coming back. I get that they tried to get it under the screen and couldn't... but there is no "yet" on that sentence. Unless FaceID has just an absolutely embarrassing rollout/launch, or proves to be easily compromised, I can't see a single reason apple would spend further money on trying to get TouchID working under the screen. (and don't even start with the back of the phone.. what an eyesore)

don't get me wrong. I LOVE the shit out of TouchID.. but aside from Craig's phone getting locked out prior to his demo.. every demo I've seen from it indicates that it's here to stay.. so unless there is a security issue there, TouchID is most assuredly on its way out. (RIP good friend. you were a god tier password system.)

The very last phone to have it will be the updated iPhone SE next march.
if they do an SE, ok I will stand slightly corrected. Yes, anything new in a 6 or 5 form factor will still keep it for now. but TouchID will not continue past the 6 form factor.

Swass

Id be shocked if they didn't have a jailbreak tweak for the X to just make the notch thing one straight line like how everyone wants it.

Hopefully they can jailbreak ios 11.. they seem to be having a tougher time doing it these days.

Guess Who

Banned

The developer video about designing for the iPhone X says they don't want situations where controls are in different relative locations depending on which landscape orientation it's in (notch on the left or notch on the right), as it messes with people's muscle memory.

numble

yeah, people need to get over it. Like the headphone jack, it is never coming back. I get that they tried to get it under the screen and couldn't... but there is no "yet" on that sentence. Unless FaceID has just an absolutely embarrassing rollout/launch, or proves to be easily compromised, I can't see a single reason apple would spend further money on trying to get TouchID working under the screen. (and don't even start with the back of the phone.. what an eyesore)

don't get me wrong. I LOVE the shit out of TouchID.. but aside from Craig's phone getting locked out prior to his demo.. every demo I've seen from it indicates that it's here to stay.. so unless there is a security issue there, TouchID is most assuredly on its way out. (RIP good friend. you were a god tier password system.)

The counterpoint is that they bought a company with over 200 employees for $360 million that focuses specifically on fingerprint readers and this group has been constantly iterating on the technology (including patenting an in-screen fingerprint sensor), which has only recently been introduced in the Mac lineup and has been on the iPad for less than 3 years. It seems like overkill to put the FaceID sensors (and the neural processor) on Macs and entry-level iPads.

Two Words

M6uXLOn.jpg

almost deserves its own thread. So FaceID during the Apple presentation didn't fail. It wasn't enabled. I just read some article re: this - apparently the internet is filled with how the tech failed and how it was soo embarrasing

His "Ho ho ho..." reaction was pretty funny though.

I love how Apple is constantly knocking on Google for their privacy practices but Apple was the first to collect people's fingerprints on a massive scale and are now moving on to face data.

You sound like my coworkers who blast me for using our on-call iPhone’s fingerprint reader for easy access and say that all I’m doing is letting Apple collect my fingerprints despite that they’re heavily reliant on google’s free services.

It’s been a while since I’ve read the details but your fingerprints are stored in the secure enclave, encrypted and the only thing that the fingerprint reader does is match an encryptions key, and that’s it. If that key is lost, say you wipe your phone, those encrypted fingerprints are completely useless now and you need to restart the whole process.

I mean, it’s pretty damn secure. The information never leaves the iPhone whatsoever.

Not me. I don’t think anybody ever uses that orientation lock for landscape either. Portrait is king on smartphones

This must be what it feels like when people who wipe standing up were told they've been doing it wrong their whole life. I always surf the Internet in landscape mode. I find portrait mode too cramped and I have to zoom in for links and buttons too often.

Maybe it's because I have big hands, but I'm clearly in the minority on this issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The developer video about designing for the iPhone X says they don't want situations where controls are in different relative locations depending on which landscape orientation it's in (notch on the left or notch on the right), as it messes with people's muscle memory.

Imo that's a dumb argument. People aren't working out where UI items are by measuring the distance from the sides of the phone - they'd be able to cope with a rectangle being slightly to the left or right. Surely a visible and jarring soft bezel would be a worse experience?

borghe

The counterpoint is that they bought a company with over 200 employees for $360 million that focuses specifically on fingerprint readers and this group has been constantly iterating on the technology (including patenting an in-screen fingerprint sensor), which has only recently been introduced in the Mac lineup and has been on the iPad for less than 3 years. It seems like overkill to put the FaceID sensors (and the neural processor) on Macs and entry-level iPads.

touche (though I disagree with Mac... if anything, FaceID makes the MOST sense there. Hence Hello Windows)

I won't even disagree with others saying multiple biometrics is the most secure.. one place I DO see fingerprint eventually making its way to is Watch. It 100% makes sense there as well (under the screen).

we'll see.

Synless

If any of you complaining about face data are or have ever been on instagram, Facebook, MySpace, twitter, Snapchat, or fucking anything you have no room to complain. Not only is your face data already catalogued in a ton of different angels, but you've likely given away all your friends and families faces too.

Moreche

I'm really hoping to get one at launch on a new IUP agreement but I swear I'll fucking choke the next persons that says I can't believe your paying over £1000 for a phone.

borghe

If any of you complaining about face data are or have ever been on instagram, Facebook, MySpace, twitter, Snapchat, or fucking anything you have no room to complain. Not only is your face data already catalogued in a ton of different angels, but you've likely given away all your friends and families faces too.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

dallow_bg

nods at old men
They can easily get out of the whole 'Touch ID isn't quite as secure" thing by stating their scanning tech has advanced so much that it's even less likely to have match other than your own print now. And it's now seamlessly under the screen to boot!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

not really complaining. I don't use facebook, and don't post photos of my face online (mainly because I am paranoid), but I am 100% sure friends and family have given my face data away multiple times. also didn't apple say the face data was stored locally? I am more paranoid about android because thats stuff probably on some google server somewhere.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Anyone else think this is how apple should have used the notch?

iphone-8-forbes.jpg

It should look more like a seemless status bar rather than how they're doing it now.
This is my thought too. I'd rather have that. And just make the time and status always visible (But dim it when watching video or make it appear when you tap while in video) even in landscape mode.

Apple would never do it though because they wouldn't want sideways text, and they want to be able to use those pixels.

if they do an SE, ok I will stand slightly corrected. Yes, anything new in a 6 or 5 form factor will still keep it for now. but TouchID will not continue past the 6 form factor.

I'll be very surprised if there's no SE update as it's by far the least expensive phone in their lineup and it's been an important device for making inroads in the Indian and Chinese markets. Not surprisingly, it's manufactured in India.

Majine

Banned
Does the cramped top bar mean you can't show battery percentage anymore?

That screen a few posts above is just a fan mockup iirc.

borghe

that 4K60 capture bomba is hard to ignore - could Pixel 2 match it to save Android's face after Note8 dropped the ball?

in "features", Apple has moved ahead of Samsung for cameras this year. Really shocked. matching almost all of note 8 (dual OIS, 7Mp front compared to 8Mp on Note), on top of adding 4K60 and 1080p240, and using HEIF.

Top Bottom