• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Climax 27 [OT] It's a Real-Life Tournament Arc!!!!!

Clegg

There was a negative reaction to ZSJ in last year's CWC but a lot of was down to the formatting of the tournament. The opening round matches involved getting your shit in in 5-6 minutes. Didn't do him any favours when he's all about grappling and submissions.The longer a match goes the more he can show off. No surprise that when he got 15 minutes with Gran Metallik he he one of the matches of the tournament.

He has had a superb 12 months since the CWC. One of the best wrestlers in the world right now.

Going to be Tana vs Naito for the block finals, that is becoming increasingly clear, both have only lost a single match so far. I just hope NJPW put Naito over, I love Tana but Naito is only behind Okada and Omega right now. Plus we need a good strong heel who can deliver top level match quality to bring this home.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Going to be Tana vs Naito for the block finals, that is becoming increasingly clear, both have only lost a single match so far. I just hope NJPW put Naito over, I love Tana but Naito is only behind Okada and Omega right now. Plus we need a good strong heel who can deliver top level match quality to bring this home.

Naito is supposed to be a heel? I've been rooting for him all year!

pbayne

Looks like Suzuki stole Juices soul.
Lol at Yujiro getting every pin in these undercard matches. Gettin da big push no doubt.

First time really watching the G1 tourney. In terms of the rules of the tournament, the winner facing the world champion at Wrestle Kingdom, what happens if Okada wins?

klonere

Banned
Nagata is giving his soul and body to this tournament and I don't want it to be his last.

I guess that's the point of his story and it's working perfectly on me.

YH never ever do those Kawada kicks ever again. Holy shit they were AWFUL.

It's becoming increasingly clear that we're looking at a Naito/Omega finals, it's the obvious call but after the incredible match they had last year, having them go at it again, this time with no time limit, could go 5 stars+.

Here's the card for the show going on right now:

(1) Shota Umino & Ren Narita vs. Zack Sabre Jr. & El Desperado
(2) Togi Makabe & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Yuji Nagata & Hirai Kawato
(3) Kota Ibushi, Tomoyuki Oka & Katsuya Kitamura vs. Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
(4) Tomohiro Ishii & Jado vs. Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI
(5) Hiroshi Tanahashi & David Finlay vs. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI
(6) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Juice Robinson vs. Tama Tonga
(7) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Toru Yano vs. SANADA
(8) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Minoru Suzuki vs. EVIL
(9) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada
(10) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega

SANADA tying up Yano with tape and literally walking back to the ring to win was one of the most swag things I've seen in wrestling in YEARS. Hilarious.

Jashobeam

this match is fucking awesome! Better than their G1 USA match

kenny selling the shit out of those lariats

crowd cheering for Elgin

damn elgin with a sweet combo, powerbomb->buckle bomb->sitdown powerbomb

fury

RTjmgdu.jpg

Elgin/Omega was a ridiculous throwback. So many risky powerbomb, rana, and near head drop suplex spots. Only fitting they ended with the hammer.

I kinda liked the tag matches in this night, they had fun moments like: ZSJ stretching the young lions; old mans going at it; Fale trying rip a fans plush doll and his continued destruction of the ring announcer; Naito teasing throwing his hat to the public only to tranquilo them and him and Bushi double teaming the referee.

Tama vs Juice was entertaining, Tama has really impressed me, one of the most improved this G1; he finally found his character and his wrestling skill improved a bit, he is great at counter sequences like the one he had with Evil and Juice. Juice is also doing well, his selling is excellent.

Sanada vs Yano was really fun, the finish was great, I always love when Yano gets yanoed.

And then, Evil vs Suzuki, my favorite match of the night!!! It had the typical elements of a Suzuki match, but they were executed really well, from Evil contesting Suzuki heelness, LIJ coming to the rescue and the finishing sequence, the match was great. Can not wait for the match they will probably have for the never title. At the beginning of the G1 I was expecting this to be Sanada year, but I was wrong, it was Evil, Everything is Evil!!!

I wish El Desperado was in the tourney. This is mostly my first exposure to NJPW and he is stellar in the tag matches. Love his pairing with Sabre Jr. too.

Hex

Banned
I wish El Desperado was in the tourney. This is mostly my first exposure to NJPW and he is stellar in the tag matches. Love his pairing with Sabre Jr. too.

He would be (and I am tired so would be way off) in the Super Juniors in the beginning of the year.
Same with Takahashi, Kushida, Bushi, Ospreay....
I think Sabre just chooses to work heavyweight.

Okada playing the heel in his match versus Kojima was so damn refreshing. You could tell he was enjoying the shit out of it too.

That wry grin when he got the ref to kick Tenzan out of the ring, him chuckling during the boos when he did the Rainmaker pose.

Top Bottom