• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Climax 27 [OT] It's a Real-Life Tournament Arc!!!!!

Foggy

Yoshi-Hashi always looks like he's lost and doesn't know where he is when he's making his way to the ring.

I feel that way about Okada sometimes when he goes to the ring, but once he's in there he looks like he belongs. Yoshi has permanent dopey face though. I find it oddly endearing.

Foggy

A Block is wide open

Nagata 0pts
Yoshi Hashi 2 pts
Ibushi 4pts
Makabe 6pts
Fale 6 pts
Goto 6 pts
ZSJ 6 pts
Ishii 6 pts
Naito 6 pts
Tana 8 pts

Meanwhile Okada has a stranglehold on B Block. The only people that have a reasonable chance of being at the top of the block are Okada, Omega, Suzuki, and EVIL. It makes me wonder who Okada will defend his title against at King of Pro Wrestling. Does EVIL steal a win against Okada? If it's Omega or Suzuki who snatch Okada's only G1 loss do they lose their respective title before KoPW?

pbayne

i usually don't mind him but fucking yoshi looked like such a chump next to Tana, way out of his league.
Big Match Fale, apart from Okada, is probably the strongest booked guy so far, his two losses were essentially flukes. Thought it was actually pretty clever booking that Ibushi more or less fucked himself by being reckless and being stupid enough to think he could powerbomb fale.
And i expect Naito to go unbeaten from here on, Ishii looked like a monster with the blood, so boss.

Why is Tama Tonga pretending to be Roman Reigns, between his shitty vest and his poor Superman punch?

Dude switches from Roman Reigns to Razor Ramon moment to moment, and yeah it's weird.

Though if I has to choose one, I do wish he would lean on the Scott Hall stuff more so I wouldn't have to think about Roman during mah New Japans.

Nagata is really carrying the emotional heft in his matches, and the New Japan Dads are really having a good G1. Makabe has been surprisingly good, and Nagata is reminding folks of how good he can be. Kojima has been the best of them in his matches, both in the undercard tags with TenKoji and in the singles matches.

Okada's been the strongest in his block, and A block is being built for a high tension second half of the tournament. They've even treated Sabre fairly well with signature wins over Tanahashi and Fale. SANADA and EVIL have also impressed. Finally, you could argue that Elgin has been the MVP of the tournament.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Yuji Nagata -- 0
Juice Robinson -- 2
Toru Yano -- 2
Satoshi Kojima -- 0
Okada+cries.gif

Hot damn Kojima vs. Okada and Elgin vs. Omega were good.

It's hard to pick just ten matches from the G1 so far. So, I'm not limiting myself to just ten. Here are my favorite so far:
Night 1: Hirooki Goto vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Night 1: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
Night 1: Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi
Night 2: Juice Robinson vs. Michael Elgin
Night 2: Kenny Omega vs. Minoru Suzuki
Night 3: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe
Night 3: Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Night 4: EVIL vs. Juice Robinson
Night 4: Minoru Suzuki vs. SANADA
Night 4: Kazuchika Okada vs. Michael Elgin
Night 5: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yuji Nagata
Night 5: Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Night 6: Satoshi Kojima vs. Michael Elgin
Night 6: Tama Tonga vs. EVIL
Night 6: Juice Robinson vs. Minoru Suzuki
Night 6: Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA
Night 7: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Bad Luck Fale
Night 7: Kota Ibushi vs. Togi Makabe
Night 7: Tetsuya Naito vs. Yuji Nagata
Night 8: Juice Robinson vs. Tama Tonga
Night 8: SANADA vs. Toru Yano
Night 8: Minoru Suzuki vs. EVIL
Night 8: Kazuchika Okada vs. Satoshi Kojima
Night 8: Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega

Wow, I didn't think that I'd end up recommending every tournament match from Night 8, but it was a really good spate of matches.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea night 8 was crazy good.

Night 9 was pretty tepid. Not bad, had some solid stuff but none of the matches really stood out.

what'll happen if there's a tie at the top spot on the block? Like if both Kenny Omega and Okada have just 1 loss while everyone else has at least 2?

They go by whoever won the head-to-head matchup. If that match goes to a draw, a coin flip decides who moves to the finals.

This actually happened once in 2009, Makabe and Tanahashi were tied for the block lead and went to a draw on the last day, they had to flip a coin, which Makabe won.

The only person left who even has a chance seems to be Suzuki.

If he doesn't do it then yes, it's probably Omega who's gonna get the W.

I actually am starting to think EVIL will get the upset win and get a title shot at KOPW, I would have thought for sure it would be SANADA but that didn't happen. The problem with Suzuki is that he's the NEVER champion, and NJPW rarely does champion vs. champion matches outside of the G1 as they want each belt to be prestigious on its own.

Ishii vs Naito was great as expected and Goto vs ZSJ was really enjoyable. I expect Naito to win all his matches and defeat Tana on the last match of the block to advance to the finals. I could also see Ibushi defeating Tana to get a chance at the intercontinental title.

Foggy

Ishii vs Naito was great as expected and Goto vs ZSJ was really enjoyable. I expect Naito to win all his matches and defeat Tana on the last match of the block to advance to the finals. I could also see Ibushi defeating Tana to get a chance at the intercontinental title.

I was thinking that until I considered how demonstrative ZSJ was about coming for the IC belt. I'm guessing that's the plan. So there goes my idea that Omega/Ibushi would be for the IC belt at WK. Which could mean Omega/Ibushi for US title at WK but that makes little sense as there's no sense that Ibushi would ever defend it. But maybe Elgin takes the belt from Omega since he has a win, but where would that put Omega and Cody? I'd hate for that to become a match at WK for the RoH title or some silly nonsense like that.

Suffice to say I have no clue how all of this is going to untangle itself.

I was thinking that until I considered how demonstrative ZSJ was about coming for the IC belt. I'm guessing that's the plan. So there goes my idea that Omega/Ibushi would be for the IC belt at WK. Which could mean Omega/Ibushi for US title at WK but that makes little sense as there's no sense that Ibushi would ever defend it. But maybe Elgin takes the belt from Omega since he has a win, but where would that put Omega and Cody? I'd hate for that to become a match at WK for the RoH title or some silly nonsense like that.

Suffice to say I have no clue how all of this is going to untangle itself.

I think at King of Pro-Wrestling 2017 we could see:
Omega vs Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship if Omega defeats Okada at the G1;
ZSJ vs Tana for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship;
Evil vs Suzuki for the NEVER Openweight Championship and;
Fale / Ishii vs Naito for the the G1 contract.

And for WK we could get Ibushi vs Tana for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship if Ibushi defeats Tana at the G1.

Or maybe ZSJ gets his chance at the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at some of those road to events and Ibushi get his chance at KoPW 2017.

Sweet springboard dropkick sequence by Sanada, looked fantastic. Few sloppy moves in the match and they took a while to work out how to work smoothly together but came together really well in the last half of the match.

Yeah it wasn't bad to start, but definitely flat. They both work better with a bigger personality to bounce off of. They found a rhythm by the end though, and got the crowd into it.

pbayne

lol at Juice spotting the two good looking girls in the crowd and stopping dead in his tracks

Fun night overall. Omega/Kojima was very similar to the Kojima/Okada match. Plus Tama/Suzuki was maybe my favorite match just an insane brawl bell to bell and i usually don't like crowd brawling by Suzuki a whole lot but that match was mental, fucking crowd took some punishment in that match.

Is this the first G1 in a long time were Yano is booked as a jobber? He is losing most of his matches, getting yanoed...

Though something tells me he is going to defeat Suzuki in his last match to continue their old rivalry...

Is this the first G1 in a long time were Yano is booked as a jobber? He is losing most of his matches, getting yanoed...

Though something tells me he is going to defeat Suzuki in his last match to continue their old rivalry...

Since this is my first G1 I thought that was his normal role. Dude blows anyway, shouldn't be in the tournament from what I've seen.

Since this is my first G1 I thought that was his normal role. Dude blows anyway, shouldn't be in the tournament from what I've seen.

Nope, he usually gets a good amount of victories, for example in 2016 he ended up with 10 points, in 2015-8, in 2014-8, 2013-8, so far he only haves 2 points, and at much I only see him getting two more wins.

Top Bottom