• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Climax 27 [OT] It's a Real-Life Tournament Arc!!!!!

shwimpy

goddamn, what a final... what a tournament.

I've only been following NJPW here and there for about a year now, a couple questions:

1) I know Omega finally got his win against Okada but is this the end of the feud? Kinda sucks Kenny didn't get to win the big one against Okada. With Naito and Okada feuding for next year and Naito probably winning the strap, where does this leave Omega in the Heavyweight title picture? The U.S. title kinda feels like they're "throwing him a bone".

2) What is left from now until Wrestle Kingdom next year? Any other big tourneys/events? I feel bad for cancelling my subscription right after this cause I want to support them but it doesn't make sense financially for me if Wrestle Kingdom's the only thing to look forward to.

Thanks!

Tall4Life

I've only been following NJPW here and there for about a year now, a couple questions:

1) I know Omega finally got his win against Okada but is this the end of the feud? Kinda sucks Kenny didn't get to win the big one against Okada. With Naito and Okada feuding for next year and Naito probably winning the strap, where does this leave Omega in the Heavyweight title picture? The U.S. title kinda feels like they're "throwing him a bone".

2) What is left from now until Wrestle Kingdom next year? Any other big tourneys/events? I feel bad for cancelling my subscription right after this cause I want to support them but it doesn't make sense financially for me if Wrestle Kingdom's the only thing to look forward to.

Thanks!
Definitely not, as now they're 1-1-1. Feuds don't really end in NJPW either, they come and go and come again. Omega will probably wrestle Ibushi at WK as they have a long history together. They've definitely set it up so that Omega will likely challenge Okada again, but they're moving it to Okada/Naito for now because Okada/Omega already main evented WK this year.

The title pictures in NJPW are very fluid.

There are a series of Destruction in... PPVs coming up, these will likely tie up some of the feuds left after G1. There's also King of Pro Wrestling later and Power Struggle. I want to say there's still the World Tag League as well, basically a G1 series but for tag teams. Every PPV will have at least one match with their most amazing wrestlers

Can't remember if I noted it in this thread before, but the two main NJPW play by play guys - Nogami and Yoshino - are the best commentators in wrestling right now.

Whenever they're calling the action it reminds me of JR back when he was at his best. The raw emotion and excitement from them is great. And that's with only understanding about 10% of what they say (and I have more respect for them now that thelionmarks.com is around, as the translations show they're always putting over the guys in the ring and saying why the matches are important)

The mark of a legitimately good experience is when you feel empty when it's over. Like... what do I do now?

That's how I'm fucking feeling after that finals.

JESUS OMEGA CHRIST.

Yeah this G1 was great. Going to miss having amazing matches to watch every other day. The time difference made it so I could watch at the perfect time too. So many great and memorable matches.

First time watching G1 and NJPW in general, but do they not implement some sort rule against those nasty neck/shoulder spots? Seems dangerous for the body in the long-run. Do they allow it because they don't wrestle as often? This was an amazing experience, btw.

Heroman

Banned
First time watching G1 and NJPW in general, but do they not implement some sort rule against those nasty neck/shoulder spots? Seems dangerous for the body in the long-run. Do they allow it because they don't wrestle as often? This was an amazing experience, btw.
Not really.

ghostjoke

Banned
WQSZzVN.jpg

pbayne

The mark of a legitimately good experience is when you feel empty when it's over. Like... what do I do now?

That's how I'm fucking feeling after that finals.

JESUS OMEGA CHRIST.

Try to get into something else maybe?
Id love to get into stardom and progress, seen bits and pieces and i know both are awesome. Or even lucha underground(lol heard first season is amazing everything else aint), But like anything its finding the time to do it.

klonere

Banned

Thanks!

So in terms of matches you'll have on big shows in the following months you can count on:

EVIL/Okada
Tanahashi/ZSJ
Elgin/Omega
Elgin/Suzuki
Omega/Juice
BUSHI/Kushida

Suzuki/Okada (probably)
Omega/Okada (this is a maybe, they might hold off on this)

Jerm411

I'm probably the only one but I thought for sure LIJ were going to turn against Naito during his promo....turning him complete babyface and ascending EVIL into the leader role. Was glad it actually didn't happen....

What a fucking G1....has to be the best ever and quite possibly the best ever block finals and then finals ever.

So good, can't wait to see what happens next....NJPW is on such a role, glad to be on board fully.

I've already been spoiled, but I'm still just catching up on to Friday's show. God, Fale's little bow to Nagata and the Japanese commentator's tears made me mist up a little. Nagata's final run brought a lot of emotional heft to this year's G1, and I hope we get a similar run next year with Kojima. I hope this year wasn't Kojima's last run, but that match with Tonga felt like an ending for him.

My God, I just finished the final. They might have topped Okada/Omega. NJPW is currently the best wrestling has ever been. In this year they have elevated what I thought was possible in the sport. Give it seven stars, eight stars, ten stars! I don't even know how to deal with it.

What's crazy is that I got behind after night 9. There's around 8 shows I haven't seen anything from yet. Somebody needs to get a comprehensive must watch match list together.

How in the fuck are Okada and Naito going to live up to this? Then again, I've asked that question at least five times since last year's G1 and it's always been answered.

I've already been spoiled, but I'm still just catching up on to Friday's show. God, Fale's little bow to Nagata and the Japanese commentator's tears made me mist up a little. Nagata's final run brought a lot of emotional heft to this year's G1, and I hope we get a similar run next year with Kojima. I hope this year wasn't Kojima's last run, but that match with Tonga felt like an ending for him.

They'll mist up even more on Sunday's show. I cried.

Anth0ny

One of the best moments of the G1.

Nekofrog

Banned
To my surprise Fale was beyond just "watchable" this tournament, his matches were thoroughly entertaining for the most part even if they weren't 4 star classics. He had the most memorable moment of the entire tournament with Darryl

Also the grenade is legit one of my favorite looking moves in wrestling

fury

Meltzer thinks Naito wins the title at WK, then Omega will win it from him sometime and eventually set up another match with Okada. That would be assuming Omega stays with NJPW after WK.

Anth0ny

Holy shit, I had no idea NJPW world goes that far back. Some of that stuff is amazing :eek:

Yes sir, all the way back to its inception in 1972.

Besides all of the Japanese greats, you'll see a lot of matches featuring popular Western wrestlers like Steve Austin, Ric Flair, Vader, Owen Hart and many more.

Maybe the most famous of all was Hulk Hogan, who believed that his normal "superman" schtick from WWF wouldn't fly with Japanese audiences, so he actually tried to work a more technical style:

Hogan.gif

It's fascinating.

john tv

Yes sir, all the way back to its inception in 1972.

Besides all of the Japanese greats, you'll see a lot of matches featuring popular Western wrestlers like Steve Austin, Ric Flair, Vader, Owen Hart and many more.

Maybe the most famous of all was Hulk Hogan, who believed that his normal "superman" schtick from WWF wouldn't fly with Japanese audiences, so he actually tried to work a more technical style:

Hogan.gif

It's fascinating.
I love watching late 70s/early 80s Andre the Giant. He really was the eighth wonder of the world. Such a badass face and body structure, dude was legit terrifying. He was more mobile back then, too. :)

I didn't know Nagata was Fale's mentor.

Yep, Nagata handles a lot of the training at the NJPW Dojo as a "sempai", basically it's him and Nakanishi mentoring the heavyweights. Usually more technical based guys (like Oka) are put with him and the bigger, more muscular power guys (like Kitamura) are put with Nakanishi. Meanwhile the junior heavyweights are put with guys like Liger, Tiger Mask, and Taguchi. Also I guess Taka helps out a lot with the training (when he's not working with his own promotion).

Anth0ny

I love watching late 70s/early 80s Andre the Giant. He really was the eighth wonder of the world. Such a badass face and body structure, dude was legit terrifying. He was more mobile back then, too. :)

Definitely, it's amazing to see a younger Andre doing his thing in Japan. Poor guy could barely move during his WWF run.

There's a famous match where a drunk Andre refused to go along with the match against Akira Maeda, which lead to Maeda becoming frustrated and deciding to shoot fight the Giant with legit kicks and MMA moves.

Syder

I managed to stay unspoiled on the G1 for a week and finally got around to watching Day 18 and the Final in succession.

Wow...

That Okada/Omega III got me all fucked up on choosing my favourite of their matches now... Don't even know what to say... They managed to get that win onto Kenny finally and make him look like a relentless beast whilst simultaneously maintaining Okada's immovable object status because of injuries and wear-down. Some of the spots Okada took were fucking ridiculous. The man needs a break.

After that match I was pulling for Kenny because of how amazing he's been in 2017 but I feel like the right guy won the Final. If Kenny had won it would've put 4 Okada matchups in 12 months and maaaaybe fatigue would've set in? (if that's even possible lol) ...but Naito losing, I think, would've been really damaging for him, he loses the IC title to Tana and then consecutive G1 Finals? Nah, you don't do my boy, Naito, like that.
Also, LIJ is too good of a stable to be playing second fiddle to Bullet Club; great tournaments for EVIL and Sanada.

The way things have gone it's going to free up Okada, Naito and Omega for some really interesting matches over the next 5 months. EVIL v Okada? Bullet Club dissent feud? Who knows what amazing stuff we're going to get!

Naito is going to tear down the Tokyo Dome with whomever it is he'll be facing...?

Amazing tournament overall, match quality was taken to a new level and it might be the best I've ever seen.

What the hell is going on with Shibata btw? I was not ready for that shit, it had me surprise-bawling and they didn't translate...

Anth0ny

I managed to stay unspoiled on the G1 for a week and finally got around to watching Day 18 and the Final in succession.

Wow...

That Okada/Omega III got me all fucked up on choosing my favourite of their matches now... Don't even know what to say... They managed to get that win onto Kenny finally and make him look like a relentless beast whilst simultaneously maintaining Okada's immovable object status because of injuries and wear-down. Some of the spots Okada took were fucking ridiculous. The man needs a break.

After that match I was pulling for Kenny because of how amazing he's been in 2017 but I feel like the right guy won the Final. If Kenny had won it would've put 4 Okada matchups in 12 months and maaaaybe fatigue would've set in? (if that's even possible lol) ...but Naito losing, I think, would've been really damaging for him, he loses the IC title to Tana and then consecutive G1 Finals? Nah, you don't do my boy, Naito, like that.
Also, LIJ is too good of a stable to be playing second fiddle to Bullet Club; great tournaments for EVIL and Sanada.

The way things have gone it's going to free up Okada, Naito and Omega for some really interesting matches over the next 5 months. EVIL v Okada? Bullet Club dissent feud? Who knows what amazing stuff we're going to get!

Naito is going to tear down the Tokyo Dome with whomever it is he'll be facing...?

Amazing tournament overall, match quality was taken to a new level and it might be the best I've ever seen.

What the hell is going on with Shibata btw? I was not ready for that shit, it had me surprise-bawling and they didn't translate...

He said: "I'm alive. That is all."

We don't really know what his status is going forward. He's recovered quicker than doctors expected and he wants to wrestle again. That's about all we know. All we can do is play the waiting game at this point and hope he continues to make progress.

Syder

We don't really know what his status is going forward. He's recovered quicker than doctors expected and he wants to wrestle again. That's about all we know. All we can do is play the waiting game at this point and hope he continues to make progress.
giphy.gif

Also, wtf you changed your avatar, Anth0ny.

Syder

had to change up the gimmick brother. like steve austin at wrestlemania 17!
WrassleGAF needs to change it's gimmick brother!
Discussion kinda went downhill lately; I need to take an extended break from the place I think.

Haven't seen a full episode of RAW/SmackDown in a month and have no interest in SummerSlam. G1 Climax ending has kinda got me all deflated now.

Anth0ny

WrassleGAF needs to change it's gimmick brother!
Discussion kinda went downhill lately; I need to take an extended break from the place I think.

Haven't seen a full episode of RAW/SmackDown in a month and have no interest in SummerSlam. G1 Climax ending has kinda got me all deflated now.

Same, I'm done entirely with WWE. All New Japan from now on for my wrasslin fix :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Same, I'm done entirely with WWE. All New Japan from now on for my wrasslin fix :)

I jumped off the WWE wagon for good after the Rumble. Subbed to NJ World and never looked back.

Well, aside from taking a look at the major PPV results. And every time I do, I don't regret leaving WWE behind. I mean, aside from the quality of the wrestling/storylines, I also love the fact that the New Japan fanbase is generally so much more positive than WWE's. I don't see anywhere near as much negativity from New Japan fans. And that's just...refreshing, y'know?

Syder

I jumped off the WWE wagon for good after the Rumble. Subbed to NJ World and never looked back.

Well, aside from taking a look at the major PPV results. And every time I do, I don't regret leaving WWE behind. I mean, aside from the quality of the wrestling/storylines, I also love the fact that the New Japan fanbase is generally so much more positive than WWE's. I don't see anywhere near as much negativity from New Japan fans. And that's just...refreshing, y'know?
231ca6aecab0fcaa2985726326cb72760dfe0fa7_hq.gif

Not having to watch so many, many hours a month of bad characters & bad storytelling [albeit with fairly good wrestling] from a Trump supporting company frees up a heck of a lot of time.

I'd rather just drop WWE altogether than give one iota of my attention to it and have it affect me negatively.

Only 21 days til Destruction in Fukushima friends! 😁

Anth0ny

Totally agreed. It's nice to watch a wrestling show again that gives you... a fun build and a satisfying pay off. Consistently.

The greatest in ring performances of all time helps, too! :p

Top Bottom