• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Climax 27 [OT] It's a Real-Life Tournament Arc!!!!!

Brinbe

Gonna miss having such awesome wrassling in consecutive days; Sigh. This G1 was legendary.

And showing how good this booking is, now they have a perfect way to transition into LIJ/CHAOS with this little EVIL/Okada title feud coming up.

Pikma

Banned
Gonna miss having such awesome wrassling in consecutive days; Sigh. This G1 was legendary.

And showing how good this booking is, now they have a perfect way to transition into LIJ/CHAOS with this little EVIL/Okada title feud coming up.
Gedo is a genius

Foggy

probably not. I meant back-to-back finals.

Yeah that's what's so absurd about. Back to back 5 star finals is one thing, back to back 5 star finals and block winning matches in consecutive years is another, but both back to backs were on consecutive days as well. Two 5+ star matches in a 24 hour period two years in a row. It's remarkable.

Lol Omega has broken Meltzer's rating system

Yeah NJPW shifts back to just a couple shows a month for a while :(

This was a great first G1 for me. Not over mind you I have the whole middle chunk to watch.

But gonna miss the live interactions with y'all.

Goodnight everyone

pbayne

What an intense 3 days. It had everything and more. The year this company is having is just mind blowing.

Til next, adios

Will this tournament be released on DVD? I realise it's very long so maybe select matches? I've seen a few but would love to own the whole set (rather than just stream)

I can't believe what we've witnessed fam.
876978280993c0ca0df56c66b179cd44306a59f3_hq.gif

Brinbe

lmao @ Big Dave's tweet. He knows. Wrasslin is performative art mixed with audience participation. And that match was a perfect example of it.

Get ready for seven stars! Well-deserved.

It's hard keeping up with the G1 in full- I only caught the standout matches from the last 2 years- but damn was this the perfect year to come back to it. Incredible tournament.

Jashobeam

When Omega was on the top rope and pulled Naito into the post, the speed that Naito flung forwards could have killed him if he was heading straight towards the post, like an inch away. Such a crazy, dangerous spot. It might have been a botch and Omega slipped, either way Naito is lucky to be alive.

Foggy

Will this tournament be released on DVD? I realise it's very long so maybe select matches? I've seen a few but would love to own the whole set (rather than just stream)

Even if it does, it'll be prohibitively expensive. New single disc dvd/blu range from $50 to $80. A collection of these matches would cost hundreds.

meppi

NJPW might be having the single best pure wrestling year I've ever personally kept up with in real time. This is insanity.

I've been watching wrestling since the mid 80's and I tend to agree with you.
Even during he hights of WCW which were my personal favourite years, besides the midcard and cruiserweight division, the actual wrestling was nowhere near this level.
So many people on top of their game at the same time.

I just wish AJ, Shinsuke and Prince Devitt were still there as well. That's the only thing I'm missing. But them not being there certainly isn't drawing me back to WWE.
Seeing how they are being handled actually has turned me oven more off to the product.
Hope they get a good payday and maybe one day they might return. /wishful thinking (at least for AJ and Devitt.

Yeah it'd be great to have Devitt in the Jnr mix and Shinsuke going strong style with Suzuki/Ishii again. I think of it as a nice retirement for them, big payday at a lower work rate (but much more constant schedule) until they ride off into the sunset.

When Omega was on the top rope and pulled Naito into the post, the speed that Naito flung forwards could have killed him if he was heading straight towards the post, like an inch away. Such a crazy, dangerous spot. It might have been a botch and Omega slipped, either way Naito is lucky to be alive.

Didn't look to be a botch on replays, same with the table spot. Omega directed him straight onto the ropes, felt like they'd laid out the match well and both did a 10/10 job hitting their marks for the most part.

Poisoned frankensteiner on Omega looked really rough on his neck though, especially compared to the super rana just before it which was incredibly well executed and had Omega land flat on his back.

I just wish AJ, Shinsuke and Prince Devitt were still there as well. That's the only thing I'm missing. But them not being there certainly isn't drawing me back to WWE.
Seeing how they are being handled actually has turned me oven more off to the product.
Hope they get a good payday and maybe one day they might return. /wishful thinking (at least for AJ and Devitt.

I miss AJ, Nak, Devitt, Anderson + Gallows in NJPW so much. Of course they were all fun to watch wrestle, but even just as personalities they were amazing. I can't imagine how great this would be with them in this year's G1. On the other hand, I don't know what the path of guys like Naito, Omega, EVIL, Juice, Elgin, etc. would be if they didn't leave. I'M CONFLICTED. Best of both worlds would be ideal, obviously.

And yeah, seeing them in WWE just kinda hurts. AJ was fun to watch for a while because he had Smackdown on his back, but everyone in the company sucks right now except for Joe, Brock, and Stroman. Glad they're getting paid for years of hard work, but I can't watch. At least until AJ vs. Shinsuke.

meppi

I miss AJ, Nak, Devitt, Anderson + Gallows in NJPW so much. Of course they were all fun to watch wrestle, but even just as personalities they were amazing. I can't imagine how great this would be with them in this year's G1. On the other hand, I don't know what the path of guys like Naito, Omega, EVIL, Juice, Elgin, etc. would be if they didn't leave. I'M CONFLICTED. Best of both worlds would be ideal, obviously.

And yeah, seeing them in WWE just kinda hurts. AJ was fun to watch for a while because he had Smackdown on his back, but everyone in the company sucks right now except for Joe, Brock, and Stroman. Glad they're getting paid for years of hard work, but I can't watch. At least until AJ vs. Shinsuke.

Didn't look at it like that.
Their absence does indeed give others the opportunity to step up and shine. And they certainly did this year too.
Never thought that when Omega and Elgin faced off, that I would be rooting for Elgin for instance. Never expected him to chance my mind like that from when I first watched him wrestle, which isn't even that long ago.

I was watching some youtube stuff and they were talking about how someone like Suzuki Minoru has a hard time connecting to western fans for a variety of reason, yet he's one of my favourite, just like Naito and Ishii for example. Would love to see more people with his attitude and stiff work. :)

Darryl is back :O

Fuck yeah!

This is awesome! clap clap, clap clap! This is awesome! clap clap, clap clap! This is awesome! clap clap, clap clap!

Sorry, I'll go hang myself now. ;P

Hex

Banned
I am catching up on today's matches, but nothing else fucking matters I GOT TO SEE MOTHER FUCKING SHIBATA!!!

Hex

Banned
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
TETSUYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hex

Banned
Anyone put up a translation of Naito's promo yet?

What a fucking night!!!

Shibata!!!
Daryl!!!
WHAT A GOD DAMNED MATCH!!!
Chono with the LIJ love!!
Daryl fist bump is back!

I love how Naito always puts LIJ over as a focus in his promos too

Hex

Banned
Seriously, I genuinely feel lucky as a fan to have been able to watch all of the amazing shit that I have been able to see this year thanks to NJPW world and some of the indys.

shaowebb

Oh man...Cody, Young Bucks, Omega and Ibushi for The Elite. It'd make a helluva good stablefeud vs Bullet Club once Tama Tonga can get a couple more members for the split to sign up with them. Tama, Chase,Scurl, Fale...dunno who the others could be to even out the name value for a feud. It'd have to be some big names out there. Club is pretty threadbare if The Elite all left to make their own stable. Just rob Dragongate for big draw faces outta nowhere lol. I'll never stop wishing the likes of Masato Yoshino, BxB Hulk, Cyber Kong, Naruki Doi, and Yamato to join NJPW. Truth be told I really wanted to see Ibushi and BxB Hulk as a tag team or feud someday. They remind me of each other at times.

Hex

Banned
Oh man...Cody, Young Bucks, Omega and Ibushi for The Elite. It'd make a helluva good stablefeud vs Bullet Club once Tama Tonga can get a couple more members for the split to sign up with them. Tama, Chase,Scurl, Fale...dunno who the others could be to even out the name value for a feud. It'd have to be some big names out there. Club is pretty threadbare if The Elite all left to make their own stable. Just rob Dragongate for big draw faces outta nowhere lol. I'll never stop wishing the likes of Masato Yoshino, BxB Hulk, Cyber Kong, Naruki Doi, and Yamato to join NJPW. Truth be told I really wanted to see Ibushi and BxB Hulk as a tag team or feud someday. They remind me of each other at times.

A) Kenny would keep Yujiro with him. They are friends. I also do not see Scurll going away from Kenny
B) I could still see Cody and should see Cody going BC instead of being in Omega's shadow, which would be Tama, Loa, Chase, Page, Fale, Cody

shaowebb

A) Kenny would keep Yujiro with him. They are friends. I also do not see Scurll going away from Kenny
B) I could still see Cody and should see Cody going BC instead of being in Omega's shadow, which would be Tama, Loa, Chase, Page, Fale, Cody

That makes sense. Cody is playing up well on the mic and could easily be a good angle to backstab Kenny outta Bullet Club with Tama Tonga when a split occurs. They'd still need some sorta surprise new hitter or two to rebuild the group's value though. Devitt, Styles, Omega...all of these guys were fast moving major draws for Bullet Club. I dont think anyone left would work in that sorta role of "majorly over built guy who could legit go for the NJPW gold someday". Tonga is not there yet and its a tossup if his momentum will increase or fall. Cody has the promos and audience interaction but hes only average in the ring in NJPW. Way more exciting matches than his happen all the time there.

Dunno...everyone's already in a stable it seems. Hard to draft anyone at the moment. Fuck it...just nab Jeff Cobb as your enforcer and see if you can grab a freelancing Lucha underground guy for shits. Still feels like they'll be lacking a leader who is a legit major threat though. They act like they're wanting to build Tama Tonga for that role, but he's gonna need to put on more exciting matches and he's gonna need some big wins.

Hex

Banned
That makes sense. Cody is playing up well on the mic and could easily be a good angle to backstab Kenny outta Bullet Club with Tama Tonga when a split occurs. They'd still need some sorta surprise new hitter or two to rebuild the group's value though. Devitt, Styles, Omega...all of these guys were fast moving major draws for Bullet Club. I dont think anyone left would work in that sorta role of "majorly over built guy who could legit go for the NJPW gold someday". Tonga is not there yet and its a tossup if his momentum will increase or fall. Cody has the promos and audience interaction but hes only average in the ring in NJPW. Way more exciting matches than his happen all the time there.

Dunno...everyone's already in a stable it seems. Hard to draft anyone at the moment. Fuck it...just nab Jeff Cobb as your enforcer and see if you can grab a freelancing Lucha underground guy for shits. Still feels like they'll be lacking a leader who is a legit major threat though. They act like they're wanting to build Tama Tonga for that role, but he's gonna need to put on more exciting matches and he's gonna need some big wins.

As weird as it is to say Cody could give it some credibility until someone else came around

So going into Destruction, it looks like we have:

Jr. title; El Desperado vs. KUSHIDA
Jr. Tag Titles: Probably a Taguchi/Ricochet vs. Young Bucks rematch
Hvy Tag Titles: War Machine/GOD/KES 3 way
NEVER title: Suzuki vs. Elgin
IC Title: Tanahashi vs. Sabre
US TItle: Omega vs. Juice
And probably do a NEVER six-man match between EVIL/SANADA/BUSHI vs. Okada and two other CHAOS guys.

And then for KOPW, we have:

IWGP Heavyweight title: Okada vs. EVIL

Switch Cody into BC and Scurl into The Elite

Switch Cody into BC and Scurl into The Elite

I agree, I love Tama Tonga but he works so much better as a mouthpiece for the group, say what you will about Cody but he plays the shitbag heel role so well, he'd make a great leader. Apparently he's going to be spending way more time in NJPW next year too.

Top Bottom