• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Gamepads are region locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
It it's pointless, why did they do it? There has to be a point. It could be a good or a bad one, but there is clearly a reason.

Have you heard of the saying "cuttting your own nose to spite your face"?

Nintendo is so obessed with region locking any lame reason is properly justification enough for this pointless limitation.

GJS

Ouch! you guys felt that too? I.. I think the sky is falling...

7 pages and I haven't seen a single post suggesting why this is a major issue.

Common, it's not that hard to think of a scenario beyond the "because it's Nintendo"slogan, is it?

A regional lock on a game controller is weird, to say the least. On the other hand, this isn't you're typical controller either. If the screen independently displays any form of text - even the slightest, - then that may be reason enough for Nintendo to region lock it. This is especially true IF it has it's own firmware, or any other independent features Nintendo has yet to reveal(it does have a cpu of some sort, afterall).

Whether you sympathize with the choice to lock, scorn it, or don't even give a damn, is one thing - but it sure is weird seeing people convincing themselves that this was all a "pointless" act.
Why the IF, they had an interview in an iwata asks specifically with the guy who worked on the gamepad firmware.

Aeana

Ouch! you guys felt that too? I.. I think the sky is falling...

7 pages and I haven't seen a single post suggesting why this is a major issue.

Common, it's not that hard to think of a scenario beyond the "because it's Nintendo"slogan, is it?

A regional lock on a game controller is weird, to say the least. On the other hand, this isn't you're typical controller either. If the screen independently displays any form of text - even the slightest, - then that may be reason enough for Nintendo to region lock it. This is especially true IF it has it's own firmware, or any other independent features Nintendo has yet to reveal(it does have a cpu of some sort, afterall).

Whether you sympathize with the choice to lock, scorn it, or don't even give a damn, is one thing - but it sure is weird seeing people convincing themselves that this was all a "pointless" act.
Well, you've clearly demonstrated that you didn't actually read the thread at all if the only reasons you're seeing are "because it's Nintendo."
I suggest you go back and read it again before continuing.

I also don't think very many people are actually suggesting it's a major issue. But it doesn't have to be major to be crappy.

Bgamer90

Banned
People need to learn the difference between someone finding something to be "strange/funny" and someone finding something to be "devastating".

Flayer

While it may just be pointless vanity, I did import multicoloured Dualshock 3s for my PS3 from Asia when they first came out and weren't available in the West. Sure, it's a minor thing but it's nice to have the option.

Ashler

Yeah... This isn't really an issue. Or rather, it's the least of our concerns as costumers. Game region locking, yes.

zroid

Banned
While it may just be pointless vanity, I did import multicoloured Dualshock 3s for my PS3 from Asia when they first came out and weren't available in the West. Sure, it's a minor thing but it's nice to have the option.

Once Nintendo begins selling GamePads individually, they may have to begin answering to this.

Quite honestly I expect this "region lock" will be remedied once that happens, since it's not entirely unusual to import controllers (or consoles), and this is so far out of left field, it may catch many people unawares.

We'll see, I guess.

This is yet another one of those issues that people are complaining about even though it is not going to affect them in any way, shape, or form. I've been playing video games for 25 years. In that time, I have boughten dozens of consoles and hundreds of games. I've yet to buy a controller from another region. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority (if not, all) of the people complaining were never planning on buying a WiiU controller form another region. I'll actually go one step further and say that most people complaining had no intention of ever buying a WiiU in the first place.

This isn't a major issue that warrants ten pages. It is the very definition of a non-issue. The people who are acting like this is a major issue are hilarious.

Then give me one GOOD reason why someone needs a controller outside of their region?

It depends where you live, doesn't it? If you live in America, this is probably a non-issue. If you live in, say, New Zealand, then it's a bit more of a kick in the pants. Nintendo's pricing down here is basically "Who gives a fuck about you? You're lucky you're getting it at all!" Couple that with the fact that the Wii U will likely enjoy the same amount of success as its predecessors (read: minimal) then importing controllers suddenly becomes an enticing prospect. Wii Remotes basically cost US$90 when it launched here. The RRP is still US$74. You tell me why I wouldn't want to import a controller from another region.

Yes, let's not pretend that the population of New Zealand is anything to give a shit about. But let's also not pretend that this doesn't legitimately affect some people.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0206_eapxn.gif

Kyoufu

This is yet another one of those issues that people are complaining about even though it is not going to affect them in any way, shape, or form. I've been playing video games for 25 years. In that time, I have boughten dozens of consoles and hundreds of games. I've yet to buy a controller from another region. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority (if not, all) of the people complaining were never planning on buying a WiiU controller form another region. I'll actually go one step further and say that most people complaining had no intention of ever buying a WiiU in the first place.

This isn't a major issue that warrants ten pages. It is the very definition of a non-issue. The people who are acting like this is a major issue are hilarious.

It's an issue for me.

What a strange move. I've got nothing else to say.
What if we get the controller too, wouldn't you be happy?
What are the chances that we'll get these super cool controllers in America? The US seems to miss all the best 3DS related stuff from Japan. I don't know if NOA or NCL is to blame on that one. PAL land is covered by Nintendo Europe pretty well though.

zroid

Banned
I've yet to buy a controller from another region. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority (if not, all) of the people complaining were never planning on buying a WiiU controller form another region.

Well apart from the fact some do import controllers due to limited editions/colours/etc. the problem is people do import consoles. Although not an issue now since consoles are locked to one GamePad, once two GP support is added next year, importers who may already have two GPs will now have to potentially buy two more.

And these things won't be cheap. In fact, I was considering importing a Japanese Wii U instead of spending $100+ on a second GamePad, when the time came that I'd need one.

It's an issue for me.

Why?

Bgamer90

Banned
This is yet another one of those issues that people are complaining about even though it is not going to affect them in any way, shape, or form.

And you know this how? There's already at least one poster who said that it'll more than likely affect him.

I've been playing video games for 25 years. In that time, I have boughten dozens of consoles and hundreds of games. I've yet to buy a controller from another region.

Heh... okay?

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority (if not, all) of the people complaining were never planning on buying a WiiU controller form another region.

There's a difference between finding something funny/strange and actually being upset to the point of complaining.

I'll actually go one step further and say that most people complaining had no intention of ever buying a WiiU in the first place.

Haha, really?

I love how some people love to cling on to this defense.

It's like a person reading news about something strange happening in a different city and/or state and someone who actually lives in the area saying to that person "You have no right to have that reaction! I doubt you were ever going to come to live here anyway!"

This isn't a major issue that warrants ten pages. It is the very definition of a non-issue.

Non-issue to you = non-issue to everyone else?

And like I said previously, people need to learn the difference between someone finding something to be "strange/funny" and someone finding something to be "devastating".

The people who are acting like this is a major issue are hilarious.

Who is acting like this is major?

Ashler

Because I have an import console.

So you already import all your games? You were already in this jam before then, no offense. The kind of risks anyone takes when importing items. Kind of like my JP 3G Vita network not working for EU 3G.

Kyoufu

Doesn't it already have a GamePad?

Yes, but we're talking about the near future when 2 GamePads are supported.

Would have been a hell of a lot more convenient for me to use the GamePad from my 2nd region Wii U (why I have to buy 2 of the same consoles in 2012 and beyond I don't know) but Nintendo has made sure I can't do that.

Also prevents my friend bringing his GamePad over for whatever multiplayer game I have in the future.

zroid

Banned
Yes, but we're talking about the near future when 2 GamePads are supported.

Would have been a hell of a lot more convenient for me to use the GamePad from my 2nd region Wii U (why I have to buy 2 of the same consoles in 2012 and beyond I don't know) but Nintendo has made sure I can't do that.

Also prevents my friend bringing his GamePad over for whatever multiplayer game I have in the future.

I didn't know you were talking about the future. That's fair then, I assumed you meant it was an issue for you right now. I would wait-and-see what happens before crying too foul just yet, though. Things could change before dual GP support is added.

So you already import all your games? You were already in this jam before then, no offense. The kind of risks anyone takes when importing items. Kind of like my JP 3G Vita network not working for EU 3G.

Uh your issue is more like lack of research. It's obvious GSM bands aren't compatible with all regions.

This is just withholding information from consumers. A far cry from region locking hardware.

Maybe the bigger question should be why is the system firmware region specific at all (as gamepads have firmware, hence what the error message is about) but that ties into the whole region locking thing. System aside what about the gamepad?

I guess they could have made the gamepads a worldwide firmware (like the handhelds <=DS lite was, say) but I guess they thought region specific means no downloading updates for features you can't use in that region...whatever those may be.

Doesn't it already have a GamePad?
I'd go down the hypothetical future route of it getting broken and separate pads being available in local region. Walking into Walmart on the day is a lot less hassle than waiting a month or so for Play-Asia...

zroid

Banned
I'd go down the hypothetical future route of it getting broken and separate pads being available in local region. Walking into Walmart on the day is a lot less hassle than waiting a month or so for Play-Asia...

Yeah once GPs are available for purchase separately, there is a legitimate concern here

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Maybe the bigger question should be why is the system firmware region specific at all (as gamepads have firmware, hence what the error message is about) but that ties into the whole region locking thing. System aside what about the gamepad?

I guess they could have made the gamepads a worldwide firmware (like the handhelds <=DS lite was, say) but I guess they thought region specific means no downloading updates for features you can't use in that region...whatever those may be.
Yeah, it's weird and unfortunate to me that the firmware isn't all-in-one. Sony had no trouble creating worldwide firmware for the PSP, and for the posters discussing wireless regulations: it uses Wi-Fi too.

Besides, if it actually was illegal to import the GamePad due to wireless interference regulations or any other reason the onus would be on the importer to know their country's rules.

Mlatador

Banned
Ok, so it only affects people who imported their Wii U's, plan on getting a 2nd gamebad in the future or just want to replace their current (broken) ones.

In other words, it basically doesn't affect 95% of all regular gamers then.

I think I'm ok with this.

Ashler

Uh your issue is more like lack of research. It's obvious GSM bands aren't compatible with all regions.

This is just withholding information from consumers. A far cry from region locking hardware.

I never said I didn't know it before I bought mine. :)

The point is that when you import something there is always a risk of some bases not being covered. This is a risk I am always prepared for whenever I import something.

Even the PS3 which is supposed to region free (software) had the isolated case of a persona 4 arena being locked.

Berordn

So... is there somewhere in the Wii U's manual where it says that it only works with gamepads from the North America region, like they do with games?

zroid

Banned
Ok, so it only affects people who imported their Wii U's, plan on getting a 2nd gamebad in the future or just want to replace their current (broken) ones.

In other words, it basically doesn't affect 95% of all regular gamers then.

I think I'm ok with this.

Closer to 99%, I think. lol

Kyoufu

I never said I didn't know it before I bought mine. :)

The point is that when you import something there is always a risk of some bases not being covered. This is a risk I am always prepared for whenever I import something.

Even the PS3 which is supposed to region free (software) had the isolated case of a persona 4 arena not being region free.

I'm not saying I'm going to sell my Wii U. I'm well aware the risks of importing, and of course I'll import a GamePad if need be. The issue is that it shouldn't be an issue at all no matter how big or small yet Nintendo has made it so.

It's a problem for people like me.

I live in a part of Asia that isn't officially supported from Nintendo, so we have to import the consoles from US. We don't understand Japanese, so we play our games in English. Now this itself is a hassle, seeing that Nintendo's consoles are region locked. My Wiimotes, and component cables however are Japanese. We just mix and match, taking the cheapest option available (no fix prices)

So this might not be a problem if you're in the US but for us fans from other parts of the world; we're fucked.

Ashler

I'm not saying I'm going to sell my Wii U. I'm well aware the risks of importing, and of course I'll import a GamePad if need be. The issue is that it shouldn't be an issue at all no matter how big or small yet Nintendo has made it so.

Yeah, I feel for you. Its kind of disappointing to know this AFTER you already own one. Hopefully it's something than can be removed somewhere along the line and not a hardware limitation altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom