• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Gamepads are region locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajim

Not a huge issue, still strange tho. I think it'll be frustrating because I like to collect the odd cool LE controllers and if they're not going to work then its not an ideal purchase.

Oh well.

This is yet another one of those issues that people are complaining about even though it is not going to affect them in any way, shape, or form. I've been playing video games for 25 years. In that time, I have boughten dozens of consoles and hundreds of games. I've yet to buy a controller from another region.
This is Nintendo. When a nice color gamepad comes out, it'll come out in Japan and Japan only. So even if someone was willing to import one, it would be useless to him or her.

I imported a white PS3 controller way before they became available in the US because I liked how they looked. It's both hilarious and said that Nintendo's region-locking accessories.

I would've gladly imported a white 3DS XL at launch because the US colors were, and still are, disappointing but the thing's region-locked.

With the 3DS's successor, Nintendo's going to include GPS hardware and make the hardware useless once you cross certain borders so you're forced to buy one from that region.

dose

Ok, so it only affects people who imported their Wii U's, plan on getting a 2nd gamebad in the future or just want to replace their current (broken) ones.

In other words, it basically doesn't affect 95% of all regular gamers then.

I think I'm ok with this.
Say your friend has an import machine and when (eventually) a 2-player gamepad Wii-U game comes out he comes round to play it with you. But oh wait, he can't. His pad doesn't fucking work. It's a crazy limitation if it's solely for region restrictions.

Gravijah

Not a huge issue, still strange tho. I think it'll be frustrating because I like to collect the odd cool LE controllers and if they're not going to work then its not an ideal purchase.

Oh well.

i'd be surprised if any LE controllers are released that aren't tied to a LE console.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wow... so many bans in here, and all of them are on the Nintendo's side of the fence too, hahaha.

It's a non-issue, but nonetheless kind of baffling as to see why Nintendo would bother to do stuff like this *scratches head*

They can be so weird sometimes.

It's not clear whether this is just about GamePad firmware updating, or usage altogether. Destructoid updating with an assumption that gameplay will work post-firmware update, but I'd like to see some verification.

This does affect me. I was hoping that a cross-region GamePad could be used for future 2P games, allowing me to import an American system to Japan and get around the software region-lock. Having to get a 3rd and a 4th GamePad for 2P games on each region's system would be ridiculous.

The Classic Controller Pro took months for it to get to the U.S./Europe (especially Europe). Now imagine if a superior gamepad is released (Japan first of course) and it's region locked. But hey it's "no big deal" right?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It really sounds more like it's a firmware issue.

My guess:

A Japanese Gamepad has a certain firmware loaded that can only communicate with a Japanese WiiU with a compatible firmware.

Trying to use a US Gamepad won't work because the Japanese WiiU goes "Nani kore?! Watto isu dissu shitto."

This is probably not engineered to be a region locking measure, but merely making sure the Gamepad and the WiiU can work together because they are using compatible, rigorously tested, internal software.

Unless you can somehow put different software on a Gamepad it does effectively behave like region-locking though.

Now, if you imported a Japanese WiiU (which I might consider myself in the future if there are any Japan-only titles being released [region-locking is the devil]), and your overweight mother-in-law sat on your Japanese Gamepad and broke it, then yeah, it's gonna be annoying that you just can't use a Gamepad from your own region, and will have to import a Japanese Gamepad.

So yeah. It is a problem, not a major one, but still a small problem. And obviously someone cares, otherwise we wouldn't be in this thread.

Given some of the reactions in this thread I take it's impossible to love Nintendo games and yet still sit back and go "Wow... just wow." when they make a completely batshit insane move?

It's not impossible. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and this kind of decision just strikes me as completely unnecessary and anti-consumer.

I'm disappointed, but I'll move on and I'll still love Nintendo games.

Wow... so many bans in here, and all of them are on the Nintendo's side of the fence too, hahaha.

People were getting too heated and started degrading other forum members.

It really sounds more like it's a firmware issue.

My guess:

A Japanese Gamepad has a certain firmware loaded that can only communicate with a Japanese WiiU with a compatible firmware.

The small problem here is making the Gamepad region-specific in the first place. Region-locking for games is one thing, but region-locking for controllers is pushing the envelope. It's a deliberate effort by Nintendo...they could have easily avoided this.

LOL. I was thinking about buying a Wii U tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna save my money. What a messed up launch its been.

This post is truly mind boggling. Where would you even get a separate gamepad atm?

Unacceptable, maybe I want to charge gamepad A and play on gamepad B at the same time. Some people will defend any unnecessary nonsense.

Why on earth would someone import a spare gamepad?

Majmun

I'll probably never import a gamepad. But this is still strange.

I wonder if Nintendo is going to clarify this issue. Because yes, it can become an issue for people who import their stuff.

Yagharek

As far as importing controllers goes, Ive done this in the past out of necessity. PS3 controllers cost $99.95 for the first few years. That works out to something like $110 USD for a dual shock 3.

So I imported them from play asia if/when I needed a new one. Even today, the difference is $78 for a controller bought in Australia, or $47 bought online.

I would like to think that if Wii U pads are ever sold separately down the line, should I need one I expect they would be at least 30% cheaper to purchase a Japanese one via online than a local one at whatever they end up being. And that would probably be a substantial saving, maybe $40 or so.

Scum

This is a dubious thing for Nintendo to do. D:
I wonder what the reasoning could be? Regional firmware?

jaxpunk

Say your friend has an import machine and when (eventually) a 2-player gamepad Wii-U game comes out he comes round to play it with you. But oh wait, he can't. His pad doesn't fucking work. It's a crazy limitation if it's solely for region restrictions.

So in this world of make believe..

A. There is no date for a release of a 2nd gamepad.
B. Who is going to make a game for a 2nd $150 controller ( since its make believe land, that's the price)
C. You are already aware of the problem and would tell him to not waste his time. That you've already bought the right extra controller and he just needs to bring the beer.

ASIS

So in this world of make believe..

A. There is no date for a release of a 2nd gamepad.
B. Who is going to make a game for a 2nd $150 controller ( since its make believe land, that's the price)
C. You are already aware of the problem and would tell him to not waste his time. That you've already bought the right extra controller and he just needs to bring the beer.

I'm sorry but what? His scenario is one that Nintendo themselves suggested before. They wanted Wii U owners to bring their controllers along because they are aware price is an issue.

This isn't a big deal for me since I'm not planning to import controllers. But this is still a problem that needs to be resolved. I can easily see people in the future being absolutely pissed off at this issue.

I'm honestly a bit baffled by this.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Nintendo's difference strikes again...and again and again

I don't see how this would affect me but then again, it's weird

And you know this how? ....

Who is acting like this is major?

I stand by my statement that this is something that likely won't affect most people reading this. Moreover, most of the people making their "because Nintendo" comments (like the one you made) are not going to be affected either.

By all means; correct me if I am wrong. If you were planning on buying a WiiU controller from another region and are upset, please forgive my assumption that people are coming into this thread to complain about a minor issue that is not going to affect them in any way.

I was a little taken aback by your "you know this how?" line, to be honest. My assumption that the vast majority of people don't import controllers is completely reasonable.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that there are people that are going to be affected by that. It really sucks for them, and discussion about this issue is completely warranted. I just feel that many comments are completely out of place. An inordinate amount of posts in this thread amount to nothing more to than "lol Nintendo".

sakipon

Would Japanese GamePads display menus in Japanese when connected to a Western console? In that case the masses wouldn't be as interested in importing them as traditional controllers for PS3, 360 and so on.

Now that the story is updated, this doesn't seem like a big deal.

Yup, so it'd just mean that a foreign controller can't be the master controller. I hope so.

I feel like 1% of users ever import a game. I imagine an extra controller that isn't supported is even less people.

If you're angry at this it's because you have an agenda, nothing more.

The reason they're doing this is likely because the Gamepad is a major cost center for them and want to have the option of selling it for different prices in different regions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What is with the enormous amount of people who seemingly lack the ability to put themselves into other people's shoes. Is having empathy, even when it comes to fringe cases, that difficult for some of you?

It's like, if these people feel like they have theirs, they don't give a shit about anyone else and will defend idiotic decisions that hurt other people and benefit no one.

It's always amazing how some people in a hardcore gaming enthusiast forum think it's only a slim minority that import and don't understand why people are upset. I mean really?

-KRS-

This is nothing new. Hell, NES controllers were region locked (in some regions) for example. So this is just Nintendo getting back to their roots. :)

But seriously, this is dumb.

MDX

It's always amazing how some people in a hardcore gaming enthusiast forum think it's only a slim minority that import and don't understand why people are upset. I mean really?

But it is a slim minority that import game consoles and games.
It might be a large sounding number like 5 million,
but we have over a 150 million consoles floating around this gen.

zroid

Banned
Okay, so basically you can do everything with a foreign region's GamePad except perform system updates? Am I getting that right?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Completely sucktacular, but I really doubt this was intentionally designed to region-lock the controller. Moreso it was inevitable considering the nature of the controller in question. Other systems don't have their controllers running part of the OS directly on them, so if the OS is region-locked, so too will the controller.

Pineconn

Is less than 10% a slim minority? I'd be willing to bet it's under that percentage, if not lower.

...Off to find hard data! EDIT: Didn't find crap. But in 2010, only 15% of gamers buy DLC. So the percentage of importers has to hover around 1%, lol.

this is terrible. One of the best things about region free is you can buy cheaper goods from elsewhere. wiiU.. nintendo. LOL

this is EXACTLY what they are trying to stop

I can imagine japanese gamers wanting to get the american pad because it'll end up being cheaper (just like most games)

now they can't, more money in nintendo's coffers.

Didn't find crap. But in 2010, only 15% of gamers buy DLC. So the percentage of importers has to hover around 1%, lol.

I hope you're being facetious.

Dreamcast guns were region locked, too. I'd SAY it's because of American laws regulating orange rings to prevent them from looking like weapons, but the American ones didn't work on the Japanese version.

FyreWulff

Probably a technical reason they're too cheap to resolve.

Or since the different companies have different standards bodies, it's easier to let only the GamePad for that region work with that region's console.

A gamepad approved for use by the Japanese government isn't going to automatically be cleared by the FCC for use in the United States. And the other way around. Didn't matter before because controllers were either directly wired into the system or used a pre-approved standard such as Bluetooth.

This is really such a non-issue. You can't get a Gamepad separate from the system and won't be able to for a good while. If you have a JPN Gamepad, you have a JPN Wii U.

And if it's not a wireless thing, the GamePad can do things without the Wii U actually being on.. so it could also be that they want the remote/other stuff to match language-wise.

Coxy

I feel like 1% of users ever import a game. I imagine an extra controller that isn't supported is even less people.

If you're angry at this it's because you have an agenda, nothing more.

Please do tell me more about my agenda and how I dont really import games and dont play them multiplayer

Dead Man

As far as importing controllers goes, Ive done this in the past out of necessity. PS3 controllers cost $99.95 for the first few years. That works out to something like $110 USD for a dual shock 3.

So I imported them from play asia if/when I needed a new one. Even today, the difference is $78 for a controller bought in Australia, or $47 bought online.

I would like to think that if Wii U pads are ever sold separately down the line, should I need one I expect they would be at least 30% cheaper to purchase a Japanese one via online than a local one at whatever they end up being. And that would probably be a substantial saving, maybe $40 or so.

Yep. Fuck enforcing this shit just to ensure regional price gouging.

Eidt: Or maybe not even that, it works everywhere except an update? Clowns.

saunderez

Or since the different companies have different standards bodies, it's easier to let only the GamePad for that region work with that region's console.

A gamepad approved for use by the Japanese government isn't going to automatically be cleared by the FCC for use in the United States. And the other way around. Didn't matter before because controllers were either directly wired into the system or used a pre-approved standard such as Bluetooth.
This is a bullshit excuse, just wait until there is a teardown done and it's revealed the hardware inside the gamepad chassis is identical. You manage different regional standards in software where possible because it's far cheaper than operating multiple production lines. That's how pretty much all wireless technology works.In any case I'm out of this thread, and I'm done with Nintendo and anyone who defends them. The 3DS XL I purchased late last year is the last Nintendo platform I'm ever going to own, their anti consumer tactics go so far and beyond what is necessary (and what their competition uses) so I'm not even bothering with them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom