• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Gamepads are region locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

This is a bullshit excuse, just wait until there is a teardown done and it's revealed the hardware inside the gamepad chassis is identical. You manage different regional standards in software where possible because it's far cheaper than operating multiple production lines. That's how pretty much all wireless technology works.In any case I'm out of this thread, and I'm done with Nintendo and anyone who defends them. The 3DS XL I purchased late last year is the last Nintendo platform I'm ever going to own, their anti consumer tactics go so far and beyond what is necessary (and what their competition uses) so I'm not even bothering with them anymore.

If you looked at page 1, they do have separate production lines.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I can't understand how one piece of news can be simultaneously nearly irrelevant and entirely stupid.

Like, I can't imagine that this will actually have an impact on more than thirty people on the planet, but there's still no reason to do something so ridiculously dumb.

It's the dumbest thing in the world to region lock a controller, and that makes me super confused, but at this point this is a problem that will impact roughly six people on Earth, so it's also not important.

But since it's not important, why do it?

I don't even know where Nintendo's head is at anymore.

ibhv1HsIr5WOEK.gif

Yagharek

It's the dumbest thing in the world to region lock a controller, and that makes me super confused, but at this point this is a problem that will impact roughly six people on Earth, so it's also not important.

What about people who would import a replacement controller or a second one if games support them? Its not unreasonable to assume that replacements will total more than six units worldwide in the next five years.

And its always going to be cheaper to import for some territories.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
LOL. I was thinking about buying a Wii U tomorrow, but I think I'm gonna save my money. What a messed up launch its been.

I will only buy things myself if overpriced imported version of accessories that have some significant portion of the OS running on them do not work with units not designed to run that version of the software because I am just that much of a whiner.

Dead Man

I will only buy things myself if overpriced imported version of accessories that have some significant portion of the OS running on them do not work with units not designed to run that version of the software because I am just that much of a whiner.

Yeah, people should never base their purchases on principles, they should always take what they're given with a smile. And for lots of regions imported controllers will no doubt be much cheaper.

web01

Fuck me, I didn't think Nintendo could get any lower than they already have with their region locking. How the fuck can people support such a disgusting anti consumer company.

I am still feeling burnt from my original 3DS which has a built in production fault that permanently marks the top screen when closed.

And you people might think this is not an issue now but just wait until they start selling the replacements and there is a $50+ difference between regions.

pants

This company is fucked at its core. They have quite a bit of shitty policies that wont go away until a wholesale change at the top :/

If you looked at page 1, they do have separate production lines.
Where does it say that the US, PAL and Japanese controllers aren't identical in terms of hardware and transmission frequency? In the technical discussion thread people have confirmed that the transmission frequency band is the same between different regions.

And in this thread topic it's already been indicated that syncing isn't the problem. That this is a firmware i.e. software-based lock.

And if this is a regulatory issue, why aren't other consumer electronics with wireless communications subject to the same region-locking?

Davey Cakes

How the fuck can people support such a disgusting anti consumer company.
They make some of the best games and offer some of the most unique experiences on the market?

You can support a company while still disagreeing with their policies.

Roo

Fuck me, I didn't think Nintendo could get any lower than they already have with their region locking. How the fuck can people support such a disgusting anti consumer company.

I am still feeling burnt from my original 3DS which has a built in production fault that permanently marks the top screen when closed.

And you people might think this is not an issue now but just wait until they start selling the replacements and there is a $50+ difference between regions.

lol
nuff said...

Kurt

It make sense and this only is related to the wii u controller itself. (Not to the wii u gamepad or wii(u)-mote)

The question is:

Why people don't think that this would be region locked?
I mean nintendo already said multiple times : the controller holds his own firmware.

I really don't understand why people owning a Wii U are upset, even without the clarification from Destructoid, I found this pretty easy to understand.
When I first set up my Wii U and chose the language, the system transfered data from the console to the gamepad. This process took several minutes, so I was pretty much aware of the fact, that the gamepad has it's own firmware. And because of this, I found it easily understandable, that gamepads from 2 different regions with 2 different firmware versions won't work together, just because they run on different versions of the fimware.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It was mentioned on the last page or so. However on GAF, anything that's not included in the thread title, OP, or linked articles does not exist.
Fixed.

And "it might as well doesn't." If people *really* wanna do something about it, they should contact the OP or a mod instead of wisecracking at the sidelines. This thread is almost at 500 posts.

Anth0ny

I dunno, NOA discontinued Gamecube controllers pretty damn quickly, so I had to import from Japan. I know a ton of people who did this.

The situation could be the same for the Wii U after the end of it's life. Region locking a controller is pretty dumb.

I dunno, NOA discontinued Gamecube controllers pretty damn quickly, so I had to import from Japan. I know a ton of people who did this.

The situation could be the same for the Wii U after the end of it's life. Region locking a controller is pretty dumb.

You managed to break a Gamecube controller?

It's a very unimportant thing to get mad about, but at the same time there had to have been an internal meeting about this and you have to wonder why.

I don't care that it's locked, I just find it weird that it is.

Anteater

Perhaps to keep people from importing a cheaper controller from other regions when/if they start selling them separately.

Nekofrog

Banned
This from a company that was threatening developers with not allowing them to release games if they didn't "play nice with price" and rip off consumers.

Seriously, how anyone can defend this company at this point is beyond me.

FyreWulff

This from a company that was threatening developers with not allowing them to release games if they didn't "play nice with price" and rip off consumers.

Seriously, how anyone can defend this company at this point is beyond me.

You ever actually dealt with Nintendo, Sony, or MS First Party?

Aeana

I'm locking this because Destructoid's update and the original Japanese article make it vague as to whether this affects actually playing games or just performing firmware updates. Once more information is available (i.e., if someone who actually has two different Wii Us goes through this process and provides information about it), a new thread can be made, or someone can PM me with info and we'll open this one back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom