• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Revolution launches June 27 on PS4/Vita

I won't tell people how to spend their money, but I will say that purchasing a game based on the company name is misguided.

I would take the opinions that people posted seriously, since people that dropped the rather expensive cash for this game in Japan really have no reason to lie to you. Japanese gamers especially were angry.

Thanks, but I have yet to dislike a game they've made so I'm happy to spend it just to support them. Plus, I have nowhere near the level of emotional attachment to the Valkyria IP that some other people have, so I'm happy to play it as a janky ARPG if that's what it is. I'm sure I'll have played worse and enjoyed it.

Saphirax

The second link is pretty definitive about Atlus's involvement with Yakuza 0, but it's worth noting that the first link is only really an indication that Atlus is DISTRIBUTING Yakuza 0. I'm 99.9999999% sure that Atlus has nothing to do with the localization for DanganRonpa V3 or Disgaea 5, for example, and they're listed on Atlus's sales site alongside most of NISA's 2017 releases.

Back to Valkyria Revolution: I kind of want to play this game just to see how bad it is, but that by no means is a reason to buy it anywhere near full price. If that Valkyria Chronicles 3 remaster rumour is true, though, I would definitely be excited for a possible localization of that!

Oh, I know. I mostly just linked it to show Atlus' involvement.

Also, VC3 and VC4 would be a dream come true! Heck, I'd even suffer through the second one if I had to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1XhiBmU6w&t=11m25s

Here is a great example of the poor cutscenes in this game. Not just the animation but the direction of the cutscenes in general is almost non-existent.

This is at the 10minute mark in the game and the part linked doesn't have spoilers. The game is fucking atrocious. It's even worse that the first thing in this game is a 16minute cutscene... argggggggggg.

Jesus Christ is that bad.

You can literally read anything anyone has said in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335273&page=4

A bunch of us tried really hard to like it!

You're right. Import impressions from people who paid money to play it are fake news.

Or, you know, you could just try the last japanese demo, which is basically the prologue of the game. You really don't need to understand the language to realize how garbage the game feels.

Are you guys sure it's not bad just because it was always compared to the first VC game?

The first VC game is among the best SRPG games of all time ( and MY favorite SRPG game of all time ).... but I will play this as the spin off that the game is.

I'm not expecting much to be honest.... all what I'm expecting is a mediocre RPG game 6.5 or 7.0 at best, which is totally fine by me because I really like the OST and Characters Design plus even those who hated the game praised the story and said it was decent and interesting enough to keep the player going... which is really all what I need to satisfy my purchase for this game and support a Valkyria IP :)

Wagram

I'll be honest. I really love Valkyria, enough so that I spent $100 on an imported Japanese copy (of which I never do) to fan patch Valkyria Chronicles 3. I'm not buying this trash. It doesn't offer anything to the series other than low effort work to cash in on fans. It's nothing like the originals and the work they've displayed is bad.

Hopefully this will not kill the franchise, but knowing Sega it'll go on hiatus for another 10 years.

TWILT

Banned
Yeahhhh, it's a shame to hear all the negative impressions about the game. I was kinda of interested in the game (I loved Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 3), but looks like I'll be passing after all. >:

Kaizer

Banned
It's a shame this game seems to be not good, I'll probably still check out via GameFly or bargain bin price though.

Nyoro SF

Are you guys sure it's not bad just because it was always compared to the first VC game?

The first VC game is among the best SRPG games of all time ( and MY favorite SRPG game of all time ).... but I will play this as the spin off that the game is.

I'm not expecting much to be honest.... all what I'm expecting is a mediocre RPG game 6.5 or 7.0 at best, which is totally fine by me because I really like the OST and Characters Design plus even those who hated the game praised the story and said it was decent and interesting enough to keep the player going... which is really all what I need to satisfy my purchase for this game and support a Valkyria IP :)

Boss... if you want to play the game regardless of reviews, you can just say so, like our buddy Kresnik up there. :p

But if it helps, my review is Chronicles-free.

Ok, is it better or worse than Star Ocean 5? Because I got about half way to 2/3rds of the way through SO5 before I dropped it. Had fun until that point, but it really dropped in quality there. How does Valkyria Revolution compare?

Zafir

Disappointing that the game doesn't seem to good. =/

I might still end up buying it because I'm a sucker, but yeah doesn't look too hot from the demo.

Oreiller

Nah, I haven't even finished the first VC. I liked it but dropped it because of the desert tank mission (I fully intend to get back to it though).

Since I barely understand japanese, I can only judge Valkyria Revolution based on its combat but it's a poor game on its own merits.

Still not sure if I want to get this, I mean the launch edition is a nice touch and I want to support the Valkyria franchise...but all the impressions I have seen have not been favorable.

Here is a great example of the poor cutscenes in this game. Not just the animation but the direction of the cutscenes in general is almost non-existent.

This is at the 10minute mark in the game and the part linked doesn't have spoilers. The game is fucking atrocious. It's even worse that the first thing in this game is a 16minute cutscene... argggggggggg.

lmao, well at least they didn't lose any money on this game bombing, because it looks like they gave it zero budget.

Clov

Atlus USA does help out with the localization of Sega games now:

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/sega-america-finalizes-acquisition-atlus-usa

A good recent example of this is Yakuza 0, for which Atlus USA did a second take on the localization after Sega outsourced it to Inbound. I don't think it's been confirmed that they're involved with Valkyria Revolution's localization, but it's pretty likely they are.

This is something I've been curious about; did Sega America ever have their own localization division, or did they outsource everything? Since they now own Atlus, is Atlus USA handling the localization of all Sega titles now, or only some of them? If it's the former, I can't imagine how busy Atlus USA must be...

Yeesh. A cutscene so lifeless it might as well have been a still image.

I mean, this IS a Vita game ported to consoles for that sweet "Valkyria returns to consoles!" PR after all, and so far every portable game in the series has had these dull still-image "cutscenes" as the go-to.

Saphirax

I mean, this IS a Vita game ported to consoles for that sweet "Valkyria returns to consoles!" PR after all, and so far every portable game in the series has had these dull still-image "cutscenes" as the go-to.

It started off as a ps4 game that got a vita port.

Gravidee

What the hell? Even the Tales games don't look this bad despite their low budget.

It started off as a ps4 game that got a vita port.

It STARTED as a PS4 game, yes.

But post-demo it's very clear that Vita became the lead platform due to severe budget cuts brought on by adverse reactions to the VCR pack-in demo. This game has all the Portable-centric design tropes of VC2 and 3, such map-recycling up the ass and static "cutscenes" that are glorified Visual Novels. Yes, the first Valkyria had plenty of Visual Novel-format scenes, but even they were expressive, with various frames of animations and other elements that made them expressive.

This game looked so visually impressive when it was first revealed, but the actual released version had its visuals downgraded worse than an Ubisoft downgrade compared to the demo. Textures, models, and effects are toned down compared to what was announced in 2015 and demoed in 2016. It was definitely a PS4 game when that first demo came out, but you can put the retail disc in, play it, and see for yourself that what made it to store shelves is an HD version of a Vita game.

What the hell? Even the Tales games don't look this bad despite their low budget.

Well, Tales games are planned around the budgets they get from the start.

The prevailing theory is that this game HAD a decent AA budget that it was planned around, but it got sliced and diced when Sega execs saw how poorly received the demo of this was and decided to just get the damn thing out and make back what they had already spent rather than waste more money trying to salvage it.

I wonder, would the end result of this game be better had Sega waited for it to be more polished before releasing a public demo of it? This game seemed like it had A LOT MORE ambition behind it before the demo got slammed.

Looking forward to this coming out.

So Atlus can localise Yakuza faster

Apparently the localization is actually already done according to some people. They're just having it sit to release between Persona 5 and Yakuza Kiwami rather than releasing it too close to Yakuza 0 or Persona 5 and having a drought until Kiwami is ready.

Shizuka

Well, Tales games are planned around the budgets they get from the start.

The prevailing theory is that this game HAD a decent AA budget that it was planned around, but it got sliced and diced when Sega execs saw how poorly received the demo of this was and decided to just get the damn thing out and make back what they had already wasted rather than waste more money trying to salvage it.

I wonder, would the end result of this game be better had Sega waited for it to be more polished before releasing a public demo of it? This game seemed like it had A LOT of ambition behind it before the demo got slammed.

Damn the Vita for holding back PS4 games!

kewlmyc

Wow this game is fucking ugly. I'll never complain about Tales games again.

Nyoro SF

Certified is right. The response to the first demo was super harsh.
Probably the majority reason was that it wasn't really a demo. It was really more like an alpha. If Sega had come out of the gates with a functionally strong demo, I think the reception would've been different; fun games generally don't get tossed under the bus, even if they're spinoffs.

After the harsh response they slashed the budget down and revised the UI to be more Vita friendly to prepare for the port. If you play the 1.0 alpha, it actually has better clothing and hair animations (and cooler battle animations) than the final game.

Apparently the localization is actually already done according to some people. They're just having it sit to release between Persona 5 and Yakuza Kiwami rather than releasing it too close to Yakuza 0 or Persona 5 and having a drought until Kiwami is ready.

Right, the trophy cert, which is usually the last item done, is complete.

The game's ready to roll. But they're not gonna drop it in near Persona 5 so they pushed it as far away as possible. lol

Strings

It seems a bad Valkyria game... But a decent ARPG.

Where is a new Valkyria Chronicles game, SEGA?

It is not a decent ARPG :p Like, it's mechanically a huge mess with it's global cooldown nonsense and 30 minute+ sponge bosses.

Ok, is it better or worse than Star Ocean 5? Because I got about half way to 2/3rds of the way through SO5 before I dropped it. Had fun until that point, but it really dropped in quality there. How does Valkyria Revolution compare?

Significantly worse. SO5 was competent gameplay-wise.

Things are rough when XB1 gets snubbed in the title for the vita

Atlus's main go-to for marketing is PlayStation Blog, which obviously isn't going to mention Xbox.

(Wonder if Atlus wanted an Xbox version, or if Sega Japan forced one on them. Honestly, I find it REALLY weird that this, THIS title, of all possible things, was the title that Sega decides to put on Xbox One, and not Persona 5 or Yakuza 0.)

Like, I seriously think that the decision to make an Xbox version is banking EXACTLY on Xbox players not playing a previous game in the series, and thus not having the same expectations as people on PS4.

Bastables

This is all horrifically disappointing. I bought a PS3 for VC, it was my "killer app" a self indulgent return to my childhood spent playing Shining force. As others have pointed out it seems Sega have decided to cripple another franchise of theirs.

I loved how forward looking VC was with it's class based leveling, on map character buffing/de buffing and semi realtime movement within a tactics based framework. Now they go with this :(

Dammit.

Hell I just remembered the small part where VC included the group dynamics of Regular soldiers shittiing on concripts/territorial soldiers, never mind the ethnic rancour it explored. The Frilly upper class chaps and chapettes thing the new one seems to be based around seem so trite in comparison.

Yeah, honestly, considering Media.Vision is actually a fairly decent studio 99.99% of the time... I'm blaming this, ALL OF THIS, on Sega Japan management.

What clearly happened here is that Sega forced Media.Vision to pack-in a demo of Azure Revolution to have something new and flashy to push Chronicles Remastered with ala Crackdown and Type-0 HD, despite Azure Revolution not even nearly being in a state to be shown to the public yet. And then rather than own up to their mistake in forcing out a demo way sooner than they should have, they just slashed the budget and saved their own face while sacrificing Media.Vision's.

I'm sorry but there's no way Media.Vision went straight from the series' apex-point that was Valkyria Chronicles 3 to the Worse-Than-VC2 abomination that was Azure Revolution without a SIGNIFICANT dose of Sega's special formula of Screwed By the Network. I mean, shit, weren't even the Shining action games fairly decent for what they were?

Strings

I mean, shit, weren't even the Shining action games fairly decent for what they were?

Shining was pretty bad, but like yeah, Media Vision is hardly a bad studio (especially after Summon Night 6 was great and Cyber Sleuth was pretty good too - their two games preceding this).

Spaghetti

Valkyria Chronicles is one of the biggest cases of wasted potential in gaming.

Oh well. That first game is fuckin' golden, and will hopefully live on for years to come thanks to being on PC and modern platforms.

Maybe the next time SEGA take a stab at a revival they'll realise what people actually want. Should be an ARPG, with a 70/30 split between military conflict and anime tropes respectively.

Shining was pretty bad, but like yeah, Media Vision is hardly a bad studio (especially after Summon Night 6 was great and Cyber Sleuth was pretty good too - their two games preceding this).

I'm sorry but there's no way Media.Vision went straight from the series' apex-point that was Valkyria Chronicles 3 to the Worse-Than-VC2 abomination that was Azure Revolution without a SIGNIFICANT dose of Sega's special formula of Screwed By the Network. I mean, shit, weren't even the Shining action games fairly decent for what they were?

More than that, although I'll probably get ripped by Nyoro for saying this, for me the Wild ARMs games are genuinely some of the best JRPG's of all time. Particularly 1/3/5. They just resonated with me in a way that few other games do and that's given me eternal loyalty to Media Vision.

I'm still gutted I've never got to play Valkyria Chronicles III. Plus, I'd have loved to have played Shining Ark/Resonance personally.

Netto-kun

I mean, shit, weren't even the Shining action games fairly decent for what they were?
Blade was...ok. I couldn't stand the characters in Ark so I dropped it after 5 hours. I found the battles in Resonance too boring so it went straight to the shelf after 10-15 hours.

I think the overall quality of Media.Vision's output (in this case Valkyria Revolution) is probably more of an issue with who they work with (which you and other have already mentioned?) as publisher since Cyber Sleuth was damn awesome and I am expecting Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory to become just as great.

jb1234

To give the game a little credit, it does have a good Mitsuda soundtrack. Still, I'm not gonna play it just for that.

WetWaffle

Every time I'm reminded this game exists, I just say "Why?". SEGA knows what fans of the IP want, the recent Steam sales show that. Why come out with something completely different that is almost assuredly gonna bomb?

ffvorax

Not sure if I will buy PSVITA or PS4, will wait for some review before probably.

But very happy for the VITA support! :D

Digital only for Vita. Thanks, Sega. Are you paying attention at all to what Vita fans are after these days?

I'll buy it on PS4 but they would have had an easy double-sale out of me with a Vita cart.

At least they are making a Vita version, unlike what most developers are doing....

Be happy that they are making the Vita version at all.

EDIT: Honestly, from what I'm hearing if Sega was paying attention to anything, I think they should have paid attention to what Valkyria Chronicles fans wanted in a sequel, because this game, apparently, is not it.

Top Bottom