• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star wars Battlefront 2 Pro vs 1X vs PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

//DEVIL//

So the way I see this . Xbox got better quality with lower fps sometimes while PS4 pro gets better fps and lower quality images.

I do not have a pro and I am not gonna buy one till there is a good silent revised model but to me it sounds like developers can not push high quality and fps both on Xbox . So they choose better quality. While better the checkerboard renders give Sony a better fps .

As I said I don't have a PS4 pro but if it's up to me I would go with a better fps over that silly image quality that I won't tell much unless they are side by side and up close while fps drops I can tell right away

shpankey

not an idiot
So the way I see this . Xbox got better quality with lower fps sometimes while PS4 pro gets better fps and lower quality images.

I do not have a pro owner and I am not gonna buy one till there is a good silent revised model but to me it sounds like developers can not push high quality and fps both on Xbox . So they choose better quality. While better the checkerboard renders give Sony a better fps .

As I said I don't have a PS4 pro but if it's up to me I would go with a better fps over that silly image quality that I won't tell much unless they are side by side and up close while fps drops I can tell right away
You got this backwards. You realize you are talking about a 1 fps drop (down to 59) on occasion, right? Something imperceptible during play and well within the margin of error to be able to optimize.

The xbox version looks better overall and is noticeable all the time. Not just w/ the image quality and resolution this time, but the upgraded object detail and object textures and shadows. There were several parts on the video where it REALLY jumped out to me, especially the beginning on the right up the hill/wooded area and like the log and the material that had the embers on it (forgive me, I don't know what that's called) and other objects textures in the background, were substantial.

It's like a lot of little things that on their own aren't much to worry about, but b/c there are so many little things, the overall presentational upgrade is a marked improvement. Vs an occasional 1 fps drop that I guarantee you not a single person here could notice w/ the naked eye during play.

This is a hands down win for the 1x.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm not but he makes a point about the 300% zoom. Sitting a few feet away from my 49" 4k HDR TV watching the video I was having a hard time seeing the differences. I did notice slightly better textures or ambient occlusion while zoomed in at 300% but it so damn minor (and you'll never be zoomed in like that ever in a real situation). I wonder if its just diminishing returns at this point. Either way both consoles are playing the game at a near locked 60fps with pristine image quality. Can't ask for more. I wish more games ran like this and looked this damn good on console.

I love my new X but I also love my Pro and I game on both systems.

That said I 100% agree that when someone like Digital Foundry has to pause a game zoom in to a rock and say yeah here is the difference then how noticeable is that in real time gaming?

I have played this game on both of my systems on an pretty nice OLED TV and honestly once your in the game for this old man its hard to tell a difference on a 65" 4k sitting about 10 feet away.

My new X is my gaming platform of choice for multi plat games but for someone wanting a new console in no way could I justify the extra $100 plus a year later for differences in rocks.

//DEVIL//

You realize you are talking about a 1 fps drop (down to 59) on occasion, right? Something imperceptible during play and well within the margin of error to be able to optimize.

The xbox version looks better overall and is noticeable all the time. Not just w/ the image quality and resolution this time, but the upgraded object detail and textures, shadows. There were several parts on the video where it REALLY jumped out to me, especially the beginning on the right up the hill/wooded area and like the log and other objects textures in the background, were substantial.

I wouldn't call a 1 or 2 fps drop is different. But if it's something for like 5 a s higher, I would notice it

SirNinja

Wow massive difference on consoles in favor of the X, I feel sorry for Pro owners who shelled out $400 for a half assed console expecting it to hold up the rest of the gen.

This "half assed" console just so happens to be the one with all the games. You know, the stuff that actually matters? I don't really care how much graphical oomph a console has if there's nothing to play on it that doesn't play better elsewhere. What's on Xbox One that isn't also on PC? Halos 3-5? Sunset Overdrive? Some stuff in Rare Replay?

But sure, yeah, have fun with that superior console. Let me know how well it runs Bloodborne, Horizon, Uncharted, Nioh, Persona 5, Street Fighter 5, Nier Automata, Last Guardian, Infamous, Until Dawn, Last of Us, Driveclub, Ratchet, and Gravity Rush. I hear the Pro has a decisive performance edge there.

Yea must be a shock to sony fans dealing with a balanced gamer base instead of mass cullings of Xbox fans by bish like we used to have here for years.

Can't imagine why that would happen. Surely it was out of sheer bias and jealousy, and definitely not because they were all acting like gradeschoolers making a series of terrible arguments for the sole purpose of shitting up the threads.

rokkerkory

I do not have a pro owner and I am not gonna buy one till there is a good silent revised model but to me it sounds like developers can not push high quality and fps both on Xbox . So they choose better quality. While better the checkerboard renders give Sony a better fps .

You make it sound like fps drop was big or something lol

You didn't watch the vid did u

What is with all the Junior fanboy shit on here, this place has really gone downhill.

It's definitely worse now, having a discussion/debate is one but the shit talking on here now is unreal.

It's only worse in the fact that since 2013 there has been very little to be positive about Xbox. Every Playstation was more powerful and contrary to popular belief were very close software output wise until this year. This year saw a flood of Japanese third parties released on PS and not Xbox.

Since then Xbox has steadily been getting some positives, BC for Xbox360 and OG Xbox is huge for me and actually got me thinking about buying a One. UHD Blu-Ray drive and now they have the Xbox One X.

The X is more expensive true, but it's a lot more powerful and the design/build quality is better. I think Battlefront is a great case of how to use the extra power. Push better effects and textures when noticeable and max the resolution as much as possible. Pushing for a locked native 4K on every game is a waste of resources.

TLDR: Microsoft has managed to generate some positive features and now has the most powerful console hardware on the market. This gives Xbox fans something to crow about and something for PS fans to get defensive about.

Nope I had to stop few minutes in because my son 2 years old son wanted to play with me lol . So I read the op and it said more stable frames lol

I wouldn't expect the PS4 Pro to have a better framerate outside of outlier framerate dips. They have essentially the same CPU with a bit more clock on the X. They both are using resolution scaling to keep performance in check, so theoretically they will both hold a stable framerate comparatively.

Krisprolls

Banned
TLDR: Microsoft has managed to generate some positive features and now has the most powerful console hardware on the market. This gives Xbox fans something to crow about and something for PS fans to get defensive about.

I doubt PS fans care that much considering this thread is merely 2 (!) pages long... Outside of a few nerds, nobody entered the thread. Everybody's on resetera anyway nowadays.

We reached the point where you have to zoom 600 % to see something in DF comparison videos. Basically, there's no difference anymore your eyes can see. The main difference is getting 60 fps and we're still waiting for that on consoles (which is a good reason to own a PC).

I know, I have a recent PC, where the best version always is, and I barely can see the difference with my PS4 Pro (to be fair, difference was already really small with my first PS4...)

When you add this new Xbox has roughly zero recent exclusive and can't play all the PS4 exclusives either, you barely have anything to get excited about.

Yeah, it plays multiplatform games well, but my PC already plays them better anyway, and if I want them on console, PS4 Pro version looks the same, so what's the point ?

solis74

Not just w/ the image quality and resolution this time, but the upgraded object detail and textures, shadows. There were several parts on the video where it REALLY jumped out to me, especially the beginning on the right up the hill/wooded area and like the log and other objects textures in the background, were substantial.

The increased texture quality on some of the games I've played have really blown me away!

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Man, Digital Foundry came outta nowhere after their initial Xbox reveal. They do great work and it's reminiscent of the initial PS4 vs Xbox One "wars." Just goes to show how important healthy competition between Sony and Microsoft is!
Thats what im saying 2013-2017 no 300% zoom but ne they just funny really

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This "half assed" console just so happens to be the one with all the games. You know, the stuff that actually matters? I don't really care how much graphical oomph a console has if there's nothing to play on it that doesn't play better elsewhere. What's on Xbox One that isn't also on PC? Halos 3-5? Sunset Overdrive? Some stuff in Rare Replay?

But sure, yeah, have fun with that superior console. Let me know how well it runs Bloodborne, Horizon, Uncharted, Nioh, Persona 5, Street Fighter 5, Nier Automata, Last Guardian, Infamous, Until Dawn, Last of Us, Driveclub, Ratchet, and Gravity Rush. I hear the Pro has a decisive performance edge there.

Can't imagine why that would happen. Surely it was out of sheer bias and jealousy, and definitely not because they were all acting like gradeschoolers making a series of terrible arguments for the sole purpose of shitting up the threads.

If it’s as important as you say wouldn’t Xbox be dead by now?

Also, nice to see so many remembering how important graphics was in 2013, but suddenly isn’t now.

I also have a PS4 which is collecting dust. Subject taste and all, but all the exclusives you mention in your saltiness is not something XO users really miss.

FZW

You feel sorry for them, really? they get a better framerate.

a 1-2 frame difference?? really????

I dont feel sorry for anyone but I am glad I chose to wait on the 1x. I couldnt in good conscience buy a console knowing a better one is on the horizon that play similar games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I couldnt in good conscience buy a console knowing a better one is on the horizon that play similar games.
Oh please, we are not talking about world saving decisions ;)... anyways the extra £100 could be spent on exclusives you have never played or that you will never play and/or to reduce the investment needed to get a still very good shot at VR.

A similar argument could be said about not waiting for any iterative console, but for a new generation anyway...

llien

http://techreport.com/review/32743/amd-ryzen-7-2700u-and-ryzen-5-2500u-apus-revealed

The Ryzen APU's have been revealed already for laptops etc, how long before we get a ps5 / xb2 do you think ?

2019 is my bet, the APU's already exist in design, just need to wait for 7 / 10 nm.

Ryzen APU's will crush current consoles on frame rate or AI, its not even a contest.

At the moment its GPU parrt is on 940M-950M levels, far below consoles.
Jaguar is not as bad as some thing, Ryzen's IPC is about 60-70% higher, yes, but then it's unlikely you'd get 8 cores.

It won't hit consoles at least until 2019, if they aim for 7nm.

At the moment its GPU parrt is on 940M-950M levels, far below consoles.
Jaguar is not as bad as some thing, Ryzen's IPC is about 60-70% higher, yes, but then it's unlikely you'd get 8 cores.

It won't hit consoles at least until 2019, if they aim for 7nm.

True except for the Jaguar comment

Jaguar is awful

I doubt PS fans care that much considering this thread is merely 2 (!) pages long... Outside of a few nerds, nobody entered the thread. Everybody's on resetera anyway nowadays.

We reached the point where you have to zoom 600 % to see something in DF comparison videos. Basically, there's no difference anymore your eyes can see. The main difference is getting 60 fps and we're still waiting for that on consoles (which is a good reason to own a PC).

I know, I have a recent PC, where the best version always is, and I barely can see the difference with my PS4 Pro (to be fair, difference was already really small with my first PS4...)

When you add this new Xbox has roughly zero recent exclusive and can't play all the PS4 exclusives either, you barely have anything to get excited about.

Yeah, it plays multiplatform games well, but my PC already plays them better anyway, and if I want them on console, PS4 Pro version looks the same, so what's the point ?

Well, you cared enough to add a lengthy response with the exclusives argument and the "you have to zoom 600%" to see the difference argument. These are the same arguments used every time by both sides to deflect the power argument.

Last gen(640p vs 720p), this gen (900p vs 1080p), and now (1440p+ vs 1800p+) . The loser claims no difference the winner the opposite. Considering this is a performance thread I would expect that's why the "nerds" are here.

A vast majority of consumers bought the PS4 for power and price the exclusives coming out now are a nice bonus, but outside of something like Uncharted 4 that sold almost 10 million(which is a symptom of large install+pack in) not many care. Idon't have an Xbox , but I do have a PC and an OG PS4, which gets used rarely. I bought Injustice 2 (PS4)on an impulse recently only to be burned when I found out it released on PC. The Japanese exclusives are great for the <= 1M people that actually bought them, but they are not selling consoles. If we want to talk about exclusives to get excited about, even if it ends up being timed. The X is getting Player Unkown Battlegrounds. It has sold 21 million copies on Steam and has 2.5 million concurrent players. That's pretty exciting for Xbox fans wouldn't you say?

To the last point it's the most powerful console you can buy and you can't build a PC to match it at the same price with out heavy compromises that defeat the purpose of buying a PC, if you are going for higher fidelity/performance. A lot of people don't want PCs, they want a console. The Xbox One X is a great value at $500. A comparable GPU is almost $300 right now, so for $200 more dollars you would need to buy a CPU, MB, RAM, Storage, and a case. I will leave out controller and OS as an equalizer for XBox Live.

TLDR: Xbox One X is the most powerful console which should be exciting enough in a hardware PERFORMANCE thread. Bringing up exclusives is ultimately a defensive move to deflect from the power gap. Trying to compare a PC to a console is never a good idea, unless you are buying a PC to play those exclusives as well, but in general you can't substitute a PC purchase for a console purchase regardless of exclusives.

Edit: I really wish the Alienware Alpha would get a decent update.

Great post.

We’re you on Gaf when the PS4 launched and everyone was taking zoomed in screenshots of Killzone Shadowfall? Showing off textures of tree bark and rocks on the ground.

I guarantee you PS4 owners care.

http://techreport.com/review/32743/amd-ryzen-7-2700u-and-ryzen-5-2500u-apus-revealed

The Ryzen APU's have been revealed already for laptops etc, how long before we get a ps5 / xb2 do you think ?

2019 is my bet, the APU's already exist in design, just need to wait for 7 / 10 nm.

Ryzen APU's will crush current consoles on frame rate or AI, its not even a contest.

FPS.png

"Crushing"

We're you on Gaf when the PS4 launched and everyone was taking zoomed in screenshots of Killzone Shadowfall? Showing off textures of tree bark and rocks on the ground.

I guarantee you PS4 owners care.

No man, diminishing returns. More power means nothing.
Until PS5 is announced

And Sony fans obviously don't care. He is only in the thread posting so he can tell us that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I should prob sell my ps4 with all the games when its still worth something.

Play all games on the xbox one x.
And wait for the ps5 to arrive to play the exclusive games i missed.

I just want to have the best looking console atm.
And 4k HDR is just better on the x

I should prob sell my ps4 with all the games when its still worth something.

Play all games on the xbox one x.
And wait for the ps5 to arrive to play the exclusive games i missed.

I just want to have the best looking console atm.
And 4k HDR is just better on the x

How much you reckon you can get out of it? I still have my OG PS4 laying around for exclusives, although I am caring less and less about them. I can barely keep up with the games I have now. If I sold it I would get a Switch though.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
How much you reckon you can get out of it? I still have my OG PS4 laying around for exclusives, although I am caring less and less about them. I can barely keep up with the games I have now. If I sold it I would get a Switch though.

I wouldn't sell your PS4, it has a lot of great exclusives coming out and even I bet u will want to play them when they come out.

rokkerkory

Here's my plan going forward:
- Sell my Xbox S and buy an X to enjoy all the multiplatform games in its glory
- Pick up a PS4 amateur (may used) to enjoy the wonderful exclusives which still has decent performance at 1080p

I can prob pull all that off for under $650 =D =D =D

I wouldn't sell your PS4, it has a lot of great exclusives coming out and even I bet u will want to play them when they come out.

In general I don't sell hardware. TLOU 2 would keep me from selling alone. Maybe GOW, but even though I like action combat, the series has never grabbed me.

Here's my plan going forward:
- Sell my Xbox S and buy an X to enjoy all the multiplatform games in its glory
- Pick up a PS4 amateur (may used) to enjoy the wonderful exclusives which still has decent performance at 1080p

I can prob pull all that off for under $650 =D =D =D

That's a great move and my plan going forward only with a PC instead of an X. I will get a new GPU when the XB2/PS5 are released and pick up a PS5 after price drops. If the exclusives warrant it at the time.

rokkerkory

In general I don't sell hardware. TLOU 2 would keep me from selling alone. Maybe GOW, but even though I like action combat, the series has never grabbed me.

That's a great move and my plan going forward only with a PC instead of an X. I will get a new GPU when the XB2/PS5 are released and pick up a PS5 after price drops. If the exclusives warrant it at the time.

Cool deal man... a PC is just not for me. I don't want to deal with it and I really don't have the place to put it in the house... plus I like comfy couch potato gaming =P

People only bring up "diminishing returns" now that the Sony has the weaker console. It is pretty obvious the X has much better IQ, not even in just Pixel count but other graphical effects. If your "diminishing returns" make you feel better at night you can just keep deluding yourself.

People playing down the difference now were hailing 900P VS 1080P as a defining moment in gaming in favor of Sony and counting blades of grass in GTA pushing grass gate. So convenient only now we have "diminishing returns" at a time where Sony clearly has the weaker console.

900p isn't a really the same as 1440p though. They scale differently. Most people aren't going to notice while playing.

Dabanton

Man, Digital Foundry came outta nowhere after their initial Xbox reveal. They do great work and it's reminiscent of the initial PS4 vs Xbox One "wars." Just goes to show how important healthy competition between Sony and Microsoft is!

Tbh they've been around for all the classic meltdowns from way back in the PS360 era.

Fanboys will hate them when they disparage their plastic box of choice but they've always been consistent.

I may sound like an ass but dont be mad, anyone with half a brain can tell that xbox one x will perform better 99.9% of the time i mean the pro is 4.2 TF and the X is 6 TF thats like adding one ps4(which is a 1.84TF) into a pro to achieve that result(4.2 + 1.84 = 6.04 ~ 6 Quick maths haHaa). Most games if not all will definitely look better on the X by a margin so i dont know why people are acting like they are amazed by how it looks. Like cmon people common sense its a console that came out after a year so ofc its to be expected.

The xbox one deserved the negative press and judgement it got and even before that with their decision to back hddvd. Bad anti consumer policies and less powerful but more expensive and way larger console along with recycled exclusives people rent fawning over anymore.

This all said, it has led to great things like the One X, nice to see Microsoft hungry for marketshare again, its paying off.

FZW

This game IS 60 fps... what are you talking about??

I really dont know how to take you all seriously smh

The xbox one deserved the negative press and judgement it got and even before that with their decision to back hddvd. Bad anti consumer policies and less powerful but more expensive and way larger console along with recycled exclusives people rent fawning over anymore.

This all said, it has led to great things like the One X, nice to see Microsoft hungry for marketshare again, its paying off.
I mean the Xbox One was amazing in that it got MS to think about the wants of its community. They created the preview program and rolled back archaic policies and gave more to its users. Remember when you had to have gold just to use Netflix? No screen capturing and they removed the always online feature before the console even came out.

In all honesty the Xbox One is the best thing to happen Microsoft, Xbox, and it’s users.

shpankey

not an idiot
lol at these people clinging on to 1 fps, on occasion. This is really hilarious. Forget that it looks noticeably better, 1 fps every 15 minutes of play for a second MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I don't know how xbox fans can deal with 59 fps dips. Never mind the DF reviewer saying he couldn't even notice when playing.

Seriously folks, you look so silly right now. It is physically impossible for a human to tell the difference from 59fps and 60fps, let alone when it only happens every once in awhile.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You can use controllers, and hook up to TV displays, on a PC.

I own all platforms, but mainly play on my PC and X. If you want to play online games with a controller on a pc, you’re gonna have a very bad time.

lol at these people clinging on to 1 fps, on occasion. This is really hilarious. Forget that it looks noticeably better, 1 fps every 15 minutes of play for a second MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I don't know how xbox fans can deal with 59 fps dips. Never mind the DF reviewer saying he couldn't even notice when playing.

Seriously folks, you look so silly right now. It is physically impossible for a human to tell the difference from 59fps and 60fps, let alone when it only happens every once in awhile.

They all do. 1 fps drop, the pro is a half assed console, its all mud slinging.

I mean the Xbox One was amazing in that it got MS to think about the wants of its community. They created the preview program and rolled back archaic policies and gave more to its users. Remember when you had to have gold just to use Netflix? No screen capturing and they removed the always online feature before the console even came out.

In all honesty the Xbox One is the best thing to happen Microsoft, Xbox, and it’s users.

Absolutely, it was a train wreck and instead of folding or sticking to it and eventually failing,they re grouped and started a trend back upwards that should pay off for them next gen for sure.

A 1-2 fps advantage has never been so important.

1080p vs 900p? Night and day difference. LOL Xbox sucks.

60 vs 59fps. Night and day. LOL Xbox sucks.

1440p vs 1800p. Well it can't even hold 60fps. LOL Xbox sucks.

What is with all the Junior fanboy shit on here, this place has really gone downhill.

Anyway, surprise surprise the X version looks better as expected, it still looks great on the Pro though.

A depleted and weakened mod team combined with an emboldened, de regulated community has led to some of the worst open console warring I’ve seen in my time on here. By now I thought the management would have plugged or at least taken the steps to reign in some of the more unsavoury elements, but frankly, it looks like the new gaf is being defined by elements worse then the last one.

I hope it gets better but time is running out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom