• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Star wars Battlefront 2 Pro vs 1X vs PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Says a guy who actively instigates them routinely

Shame on you, kid

Yea I totally do! Every thread in fact. My post history show exactly that! Oh wait...it doesn't.

Coming form the guy who does drive by postings then never responds when he's called out on his BS.

Yea, I'm the problem! 👍

Popsickles

Wow massive difference on consoles in favor of the X, I feel sorry for Pro owners who shelled out $400 for a half assed console expecting it to hold up the rest of the gen.
Don't free sorry for us with a great line up exclusives to play in the coming months. Enjoy your lacklustre multiplats 4k Res does not make a good game.

solis74

Here's my plan going forward:
- Sell my Xbox S and buy an X to enjoy all the multiplatform games in its glory
- Pick up a PS4 amateur (may used) to enjoy the wonderful exclusives which still has decent performance at 1080p

I can prob pull all that off for under $650 =D =D =D

cool :)

lol at these people clinging on to 1 fps, on occasion. This is really hilarious. Forget that it looks noticeably better, 1 fps every 15 minutes of play for a second MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I don't know how xbox fans can deal with 59 fps dips. Never mind the DF reviewer saying he couldn't even notice when playing.

Seriously folks, you look so silly right now. It is physically impossible for a human to tell the difference from 59fps and 60fps, let alone when it only happens every once in awhile.

My thoughts exactly. I can't even believe that just because it drops 1fps SOMETIMES that its being used as console war fuel.

Edit: timberger comment above right on time 😂

timberger

A 1-2 fps advantage has never been so important.

Oh how times change and some choose to forget those days when games like Dragon Age Inquisition dropped a single frame more in specific circumstances on PS4 than it did on Xbox One which led to the Xbox version being hailed as the "definitive" version, despite shortcomings elsewhere.

The arguments never change but the sides making them sure do :p

Edit: timberger comment above right on time 😂

I'm honestly not sure if this is just sad or outright creepy at this point.
If opposing opinions bother you so much, it's easy as pie to hit the ignore button and it takes considerably less effort than obsessive meta-commentary about specific other site users even when they haven't even posted in a thread.

Get help.

mad597

Banned
lol at these people clinging on to 1 fps, on occasion. This is really hilarious. Forget that it looks noticeably better, 1 fps every 15 minutes of play for a second MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE! I don't know how xbox fans can deal with 59 fps dips. Never mind the DF reviewer saying he couldn't even notice when playing.

Seriously folks, you look so silly right now. It is physically impossible for a human to tell the difference from 59fps and 60fps, let alone when it only happens every once in awhile.

Yep 1fps difference every blue moon is a big deal but 1440p vs 2160p is "diminishing returns" that no one will notice. Sony fanboys would just be better off not commenting if this is the crap they are going to spew, it convinces no one.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How much you reckon you can get out of it? I still have my OG PS4 laying around for exclusives, although I am caring less and less about them. I can barely keep up with the games I have now. If I sold it I would get a Switch though.

150 for the ps4 ?
20 a pop for new games
10 for olds ?

I am looking at 25 games so that is enough to get me the best console experience.
I allready own a switch. (Best exclusives imo)

But with an x i dont see the use of my ps4.
Ill just get the 5 when its out wich is going to be backwards compatible anyway.

i-Lo

Good to see X's power being made manifest. Expected it to be bluntly objective given amount extra RAM, bandwidth & GPU processing advantage. PS4 version is no slouch either.

Wow massive difference on consoles in favor of the X, I feel sorry for Pro owners who shelled out $400 for a half assed console expecting it to hold up the rest of the gen.

Oh how the childish console war BS makes its way back again.

mad597

Banned
lol. Love how 1 fps counts as a massive win. Keep flying that flag!

Sony fans would be better off just taking another DF L and avoiding this thread. Clinging to an occasional 1-2 FPS advantage like it is a major win while then saying 1440p vs 2160p is "dimishing returns" is utterly pathetic and transparent. You are not fooling anyone

Toe-Knee

Sony fans would be better off just taking another DF L and avoiding this thread. Clinging to an occasional 1-2 FPS advantage like it is a major win while then saying 1440p vs 2160p is "dimishing returns" is utterly pathetic and transparent. You are not fooling anyone

Not to incite any console wars but weren't a lot of non Sony fans making a big deal out of the fact when last of us dropped a couple of fps and skyrim last year?

FZW

Oh please, we are not talking about world saving decisions ;)... anyways the extra £100 could be spent on exclusives you have never played or that you will never play and/or to reduce the investment needed to get a still very good shot at VR.

A similar argument could be said about not waiting for any iterative console, but for a new generation anyway...
uh... nobody said its a world saving decision... I dont even know why you went there so im just ignore it going forth

I already owned a PS4 (im not missing out on anything) and an Xbox One. Since I dont game on PC (and never will again) I need a console that will play my games well on my new TV. I refused to buy both the 1x and the pro since it didnt make sense financially I had to choose. I initally wanted a Pro but when I saw MS anounced specs I decided to wait it out. Afterall, neither the 1x or the pro are getting exclusive games it was just a matter of which one has the best specs. The price was never an issue to me since I can just sell the previous console to pay for the new one. My 1x only ended up costing me $250. Also I have no interest in ever playing VR... EVER.

Can I play anything similar to Persona 5 on Xbone?

Nope but I do recommend cuphead, it and Horizon are my favorite games of the year.

Lemondish

Looks like you guys got another, lol

This was legit just poking fun at the exact same arguments that were said between One and PS4 for years.

DF wins and losses don't matter anymore - it'll always go to the most recent console refresh released since they're essentially the same architecture.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yea I totally do! Every thread in fact. My post history show exactly that! Oh wait...it doesn't.

Coming form the guy who does drive by postings then never responds when he's called out on his BS.

Yea, I'm the problem! 👍
Lol pay no attention to him, he's a sensitive little snowflake. You'll offend him, and then he'll send a PM taunting you about he's ignoring you, as if he's somehow significant enough for it to even matter. I'm genuinely convinced that he's around 12 or 13.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Don't free sorry for us with a great line up exclusives to play in the coming months. Enjoy your lacklustre multiplats 4k Res does not make a good game.

Why do you drag yourself down into this fanboy flame.
Please just ignore it.

solis74

150 for the ps4 ?
20 a pop for new games
10 for olds ?

I am looking at 25 games so that is enough to get me the best console experience.
I allready own a switch. (Best exclusives imo)

But with an x i dont see the use of my ps4.
Ill just get the 5 when its out wich is going to be backwards compatible anyway.

you should make $$ enough to get an X outright?

thelastword

Banned
Spencer said framerate is king, so I guess he is pretty impressed by the PRO's output here...

All in all, on a 4k TV, the XBONEX is a bit sharper, but not by much. In as much as DF says XBONEX reaches 2160p, they refusee to says it's average resolution. By the looks of it, XBONEX does not look 2160p in most of these scenes, it always looks lower than that, especially when compared to the PC...It even looks lower than 1800p in one particular scene in the forest.

In any case, this is looking like another case of an average resolution of 1440p on PRO vs an average of 1800p on the XBONEX. I find DF is reaching with the extra detail talk though, most of the zoomed in detail is not so much better settings on XBONEX, but the higher resolution showing the same detail a bit clearer.

AF, shadows et al look a bit crisper because of a slighly sharper picture on XBONEX...yet, the XBOX version does have some lod issues, I think the PRO's performance is better here, just as it is on FF15 on the PRO. I'm talking framerate metrics of course.

Segaswirl

Is 1296p even that much of a jump over the base PS4? Sounds like it should be 60 locked on the Pro even though it's not. The guy in the video even recommends you play it on a 1080p screen.

i-Lo

So many cherry picked moments from that vid to drive insecure fanboy drivel on both sides.

Spencer said framerate is king, so I guess he is pretty impressed by the PRO's output here...

All in all, on a 4k TV, the XBONEX is a bit sharper, but not by much. In as much as DF says XBONEX reaches 2160p, they refusee to says it's average resolution. By the looks of it, XBONEX does not look 2160p in most of these scenes, it always looks lower than that, especially when compared to the PC...It even looks lower than 1800p in one particular scene in the forest.

In any case, this is looking like another case of an average resolution of 1440p on PRO vs an average of 1800p on the XBONEX. I find DF is reaching with the extra detail talk though, most of the zoomed in detail is not so much better settings on XBONEX, but the higher resolution showing the same detail a bit clearer.

AF, shadows et al look a bit crisper because of a slighly sharper picture on XBONEX...yet, the XBOX version does have some lod issues, I think the PRO's performance is better here, just as it is on FF15 on the PRO. I'm talking framerate metrics of course.

Bro.... smh. Posts like these remind of 360 v PS3 GT forums.

thelastword

Banned
Is 1296p even that much of a jump over the base PS4? Sounds like it should be 60 locked on the Pro even though it's not. The guy in the video even recommends you play it on a 1080p screen.
The guy in the video is asking for max settings on XBONEX at 1080p, I guess to match the PC version in terms of settings.

I'm beginning to not get......... why most of these devs don't implement checkerboard rendering on PS4 PRO, it has the hardware for it and so many features to enhance the image with the ID buffer, they could even implement TAA and CB at different quality levels depending on how much time they put into it, so I don't know why. This game was in development for a while and PRO has been out for a year, so I did expect more devs to be using CB. Hell, if they want to do normal rendering 2160p dynamic rez or 4k on XBONEX, that's fine. However, Pro should be doing dynamic 2160CB or just plain 1800CB in this title as opposed to 1440p....

I wonder if people with PCs like me should feel sorry for X owners that are still getting an inferior experience compared to what I can get. Stop this console wars rubbish, it only makes you look like an idiot. Pro owners are probably very fine with their purchase.

I'm disappointed that I've gone through this many pages and haven't seen any gifs or comparison screen grabs of the video. What kind of comparison video thread is this?

jobrro

The guy in the video is asking for max settings on XBONEX at 1080p, I guess to match the PC version in terms of settings.

I'm beginning to not get......... why most of these devs don't implement checkerboard rendering on PS4 PRO, it has the hardware for it and so many features to enhance the image with the ID buffer, they could even implement TAA and CB at different quality levels depending on how much time they put into it, so I don't know why. This game was in development for a while and PRO has been out for a year, so I did expect more devs to be using CB. Hell, if they want to do normal rendering 2160p dynamic rez or 4k on XBONEX, that's fine. However, Pro should be doing dynamic 2160CB or just plain 1800CB in this title as opposed to 1440p....

Yes it's very disappointing and has been a bit of a trend recently (Injustice 2, MvC:I and a few others) simply doing 1440p rather than using CB. The Pro can produce fantastic results on a 4K display using CB especially with a dynamic resolution. I remember being blown away by Uncharted 4 at its initial release on base PS4 on a 1080p display but at 1440p on a 4K display IQ certainly takes a big hit.

Perhaps competive games (like fighters where people judge moves by the amount of frames they take etc) may require full frame updates but as a casual I would prefer higher image quality by default with an option to go from 1800/2160c to a lower progressive resolution in the options for competitive people/scenarios.

Rellik

I own all platforms, but mainly play on my PC and X. If you want to play online games with a controller on a pc, you’re gonna have a very bad time.

Mouse and keyboard users are on all platforms. If you think everyone on console is using a controller then you're very naive.

breakfuss

this is what gaf has become aye?

I mean, I hate the fanboy drivel as much as anyone else, but Sony fanboys have been much, much worse for the last 3 or so years on GAF. Serves them right now that the tables have turned. I guarantee you had that first post been in regard to people regretting their X1 purchase hardly an eye would have batted. LOL I have (and enjoy) all the platforms but the hypocrisy on display here is hilarious.

thelastword

Banned
Yes it's very disappointing and has been a bit of a trend recently (Injustice 2, MvC:I and a few others) simply doing 1440p rather than using CB. The Pro can produce fantastic results on a 4K display using CB especially with a dynamic resolution. I remember being blown away by Uncharted 4 at its initial release on base PS4 on a 1080p display but at 1440p on a 4K display IQ certainly takes a big hit.

Perhaps competive games (like fighters where people judge moves by the amount of frames they take etc) may require full frame updates but as a casual I would prefer higher image quality by default with an option to go from 1800/2160c to a lower progressive resolution in the options for competitive people/scenarios.
Yes, I don't know if Naughty Dog set the trend. I still remember in the leaked papers where SONY stipulated they'd rather not have 1440p as a recommended resolution for PRO and they listed some resolutions that would scale better to 4k....However, since ND gave us a simple 1440p patch of UC4 (as good as it looks), I've seen so many devs just stick that to PRO owners as a 4k rez mode...

If these guys can push 1440p, it means they can push 2160CB or 1800CB at worst if they desire. The pro hardware takes care of this and it should be the same of even less pull on the hardware with 1800CB and about on par with 2160CB. That would mean a much crisper image at about the same performance. AKA much better IQ. Why is this not happening..

Even at Pro's launch, there were games with normal 1800p or higher, 4k native and some checkerboard games. Guerilla gave us the CB poster image in HZD, Poliphony gave us 1800CB, Watchdogs 2 looks very crisp as well and so is FF15 at that same rez, but it seems that many have just followed Naughty's implementation of 1440p. I still remember, many including myself were disappointed when Respawn only gave us 1440p on titanfall2, when you had awesome pro implementations like Blops3, Infinte Warfare, Modern Warfare etc.. with their 2160 CB. Then Prey patched up to 1440p, Fallout, Hitman, Dreamfall, Homefront, Hellblade, Firewatch, Here they lie, KOF14, Injustice 2, Mafia 3, Project Cars 2....Hell, even FF12 is 1440p and so many more. Sony has to light a fire under these devs asses. All of these games should be 2160CB and FF12 should be 4k native tbh.....

So many of these pro patches have just not been optimum, the hardware can defintely push more pixels through CB...... PS4 was designed for CB, use it for crying out loud.....

JaxBriggs

What is with all the Junior fanboy shit on here, this place has really gone downhill.

I've just read through the thread and there is clearly shit posting coming from all sorts of members, not just juniors.

But to get back on topic. Performance looks pretty good across both of the premium consoles. Too bad the game itself is drowning in bad PR right now.

HMC

Nice. I cannot wait to pick mine up!

All my gaming will be on the X, and I would love to sell my Station since I have zero interest in any Japanese games, but Id just end up buying another one for Spidey and Detroit.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
PC looks amazing, X looks great, Pro looks good.

Yeah, PC is the premium experience for this game. Not only is it the best looking game out there, I'd say, it easily clears the console versions, as well (as it should).

Delicious? Indeed. :p

1. Spencer said framerate is king, so I guess he is pretty impressed by the PRO's output here...

2. All in all, on a 4k TV, the XBONEX is a bit sharper, but not by much. In as much as DF says XBONEX reaches 2160p, they refusee to says it's average resolution. By the looks of it, XBONEX does not look 2160p in most of these scenes, it always looks lower than that, especially when compared to the PC...It even looks lower than 1800p in one particular scene in the forest.

3. In any case, this is looking like another case of an average resolution of 1440p on PRO vs an average of 1800p on the XBONEX. I find DF is reaching with the extra detail talk though, most of the zoomed in detail is not so much better settings on XBONEX, but the higher resolution showing the same detail a bit clearer.

4. AF, shadows et al look a bit crisper because of a slighly sharper picture on XBONEX...yet, the XBOX version does have some lod issues, I think the PRO's performance is better here, just as it is on FF15 on the PRO. I'm talking framerate metrics of course.

1. 1-2fps difference here and there #gamechanger

2. Not much sharper? PS4 tops out at 1440p and bottoms out at 1296p. XB1X tops out at 2160p and bottoms out at 1800p. This is from pixel counting not your gut feeling based on a YouTube stream.

3. Do you understand what average is? 1440p is PS4 Pro's maximum here not average. 1800p is XB1X's lowest resolution not the average. Again, these numbers are derived from pixel counting, not gut feeling.

4. The LOD issues last less than a second during the beginning of a level while loading. Both consoles hold 60fps a vast majority of the time you are really reaching here.

Your "analysis" here is poor even by your already low standards. You are going to have a lot of work going forward trying to downplay the XB1X, good luck.

rokkerkory

I know it's tough man, it'll be ok.

shpankey

not an idiot
1. 1-2fps difference here and there #gamechanger

2. Not much sharper? PS4 tops out at 1440p and bottoms out at 1296p. XB1X tops out at 2160p and bottoms out at 1800p. This is from pixel counting not your gut feeling based on a YouTube stream.

3. Do you understand what average is? 1440p is PS4 Pro's maximum here not average. 1800p is XB1X's lowest resolution not the average. Again, these numbers are derived from pixel counting, not gut feeling.

4. The LOD issues last less than a second during the beginning of a level while loading. Both consoles hold 60fps a vast majority of the time you are really reaching here.

Your "analysis" here is poor even by your already low standards. You are going to have a lot of work going forward trying to downplay the XB1X, good luck.
lol, I can't help but laugh, b/c he's obviously thrown logic way out the window w/ that post so none of this will sink in I suspect.

HMC

Sonygaf is really having a tough time lately with X1X taking the crown in all DF face offs and they no longer live under a protected shield here now with unbias mods

The "Cheaper/Year Earlier" chants are getting louder, lol.

I really wanna see Far Cry on this thing.

longdi

Banned
Considering the X is $100 and a year late, i think the jaguar cpu inside it, is making its results look less impressive than OG ps4 vs xb1.

Honestly, I watched this video in 4k on my 4k tv and struggled to notice the image quality difference between all 3 platforms. The only thing that stood out was PC at ultra settings compared to the other two platforms. The improved lod, shadows, shadow filtering, texture/vegetation density was immediately noticeable. The X and the pro looked pretty much identical in my eyes.

This just continued the trend which I suspected would occur at the launch of the X. Wasting the extra GPU power on resolution is a complete waste of computational resources. There is still only one game where the difference in both platforms is extremely noticeable. That game is Shadow of War. Every other multiplayer game that's been X enhanced has been negligible at best.

BTW, where are the mods? Back in the day, this topic would've been a grave yard. I guess we're now dropping down to gamefaqs levels of QA.

jobboy

Honestly, I watched this video in 4k on my 4k tv and struggled to notice the image quality difference between all 3 platforms. The only thing that stood out was PC at ultra settings compared to the other two platforms. The improved lod, shadows, shadow filtering, texture/vegetation density was immediately noticeable. The X and the pro looked pretty much identical in my eyes.

pretty much my identical feelings, oled 4k here

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Mouse and keyboard users are on all platforms. If you think everyone on console is using a controller then you're very naive.

Could explain how some people are so good compared to me lol. I know there’s the XIM adaptor but it’s very expensive and doesn’t it it get obsolete between updates ?

I mean, I hate the fanboy drivel as much as anyone else, but Sony fanboys have been much, much worse for the last 3 or so years on GAF. Serves them right now that the tables have turned. I guarantee you had that first post been in regard to people regretting their X1 purchase hardly an eye would have batted. LOL I have (and enjoy) all the platforms but the hypocrisy on display here is hilarious.

Agreed. I’ve been a lurker for 6 years or so, and have always seen how NeoGAF just bashed the Xbox brand. Now that many new junior account has arrived it seems like it’s about to even out.
As a. Box player this forum has been very toxic, and there’s a reason that people call this SonyGAF.

rokkerkory

This just continued the trend which I suspected would occur at the launch of the X. Wasting the extra GPU power on resolution is a complete waste of computational resources. There is still only one game where the difference in both platforms is extremely noticeable. That game is Shadow of War. Every other multiplayer game that's been X enhanced has been negligible at best.

BTW, where are the mods? Back in the day, this topic would've been a grave yard. I guess we're now dropping down to gamefaqs levels of QA.

Identical or negligible and wasting gpu for 2x the pixel count. Righttttt

Laserdisk

No it's not, we are talking 1-2 FPS dips every once in awhile and even DF admits people won't notice

Wont notice on the Pro, he clearly says in the video that the one does notice but since its close and the visuals are better its the best version

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Could explain how some people are so good compared to me lol. I know there’s the XIM adaptor but it’s very expensive and doesn’t it it get obsolete between updates ?

Agreed. I’ve been a lurker for 6 years or so, and have always seen how NeoGAF just bashed the Xbox brand. Now that many new junior account has arrived it seems like it’s about to even out.
As a. Box player this forum has been very toxic, and there’s a reason that people call this SonyGAF.

So, we have about 2-3 PS4 owners for every Xbox One owner and you wonder why there are more Sony fans... really?

NihoB

Neo Member
At the end of the day the games are what matters for a system. Multiplat games from now on will probably be superior on the X1X, which makes sense considering it was released 1 year later.

But to be honest if you own the either original system or the X1s then I think there is no reason to waste the money to buy the X1X unless you own a 4k TV and want the latest hardware.

For me my X1 has been collecting dust and I can't find any reason to play it, let alone any games I want to buy for it since Halo and Gears of War 4. The fact that Cuphead was released on PC doesn't help it either. I think only one game has me excited and interested that's upcoming and that's the Ori sequel. That's it.... and it'll probably be released on PC also. So unless I missed something from the announcements I don't forsee me buying anything on the X1 compared to the other 2 systems which do have lots of games that I'm excited and anticipating.

Did you feel sorry for yourself and all the other xbone owners for the three years up until now?

Anyways its amusing how all of a sudden now 1440p is a trash resolution to the X1 owners when for almost the entire gen they were fine with 900p or lower on their xbone.

TeeDoff

Neo Member
Mad597 sounds pretty mad. It is good that you can get that repressed anger out now.

X1X is great. I'd love my pro to be more powerful and would have paid more for it - however I am a fan of the idea of paying more at launch for a more powerful console, rather than a more reasonable price with lesser components. Hopefully next gen provides that baseline, rather than more powerful iterations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom