• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

Seda

Picking this up, despite hearing some reservations. The premise is interesting and the artstyle is neat.

cyborg009

Banned
I was actually thinking about making the OT for this game today lol. I'm happy to see people are interested in this game!

edit: The issues people were talking about Parakeetman said it shouldn't bother us since we never got the original PSP or PS1 games.

Also here was how the PSP game looked like

tumblr_msimo2JySW1rmw2oto2_500.png
tumblr_mnixzx9aC91rmw2oto1_500.jpg

I have a strict no digital for big games....but shit, this is pretty tempting, especially considering it has Japanese audio.

These are the decisions that keep me up at night.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just saw that Play-Asia Asian region physical copy (in english). When does it become available?!

EDIT 2: It looks as if there's already an Asian region game, but it has Chinese subs. The one linked is just a potential placeholder. No English physical copy = /

Amir0x

Banned
I was actually thinking about making the OT for this game today lol. I'm happy to see people are interested in this game!

edit: The issues people were talking about Parakeetman said it shouldn't bother us since we never got the original PSP or PS1 games.

Also here was how the PSP game looked like

tumblr_msimo2JySW1rmw2oto2_500.png
tumblr_mnixzx9aC91rmw2oto1_500.jpg

Damn. Now I hope for a fan translation of the PSP game at least

Aeana

As a huge fan of the original game and even more so the PSP remake, I'll admit I'm actually somewhat trepidatious myself about how that matter changes up the chemistry of the whole affair because that first game really does have its narrative set up to be pretty player-driven, if mainly in terms of how you get to the preset next point, rather than writing it outright. It's hard to articulate why since you can only play it in Japanese (though I'd love to do a translation patch of the PSP game one day), but that game has a very special mix of gameplay mechanics and narrative chops that I really admire and has made it one of my personal favorites.

I'd like to hear more about what you mean about this. I played the PSX version ages ago and I liked it well enough, although as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I found it a bit rough. Either way, I'm curious to know what about 2 is disappointing for someone who played/liked the original, because I'm in a similar boat even if I didn't like it quite as much as you did (admittedly did not play the remake).

randomkid

I'd like to hear more about what you mean about this. I played the PSX version ages ago and I liked it well enough, although as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I found it a bit rough. Either way, I'm curious to know what about 2 is disappointing for someone who played/liked the original, because I'm in a similar boat even if I didn't like it quite as much as you did (admittedly did not play the remake).

Pepsi can speak for himself but I remember he wrote quite a bit about it here:

http://gematsu.com/2014/08/outside-oreshika-tainted-bloodlines-user-reviews-edition

Aeana

Pepsi can speak for himself but I remember he wrote quite a bit about it here:

http://gematsu.com/2014/08/outside-oreshika-tainted-bloodlines-user-reviews-edition

Thanks. Going by the description, I definitely understand the disappointment, but I'm not certain that it'll bother me that much. We'll have to see. I feel a little weird here since I was not nearly as attached to the whole developing family lineage and backstory aspect of the first game as others. It's the most unique thing about the game and it's interesting, but what's described there probably won't change that dramatically.

However... I didn't know the dungeons are now randomly generated. That is disappointing as hell, and not even just within the context of Oreshika. But within that context, having limited time and dungeon inter-dependence definitely sounds pretty crappy. It's actually making me reconsider. Oreshika 1 had dungeon "parts" that were connected randomly, but it was not like a totally random thing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm so tempted to buy this, what did j-GAFers ultimately feel about this game? I know there's a complaint about how unbalanced one of the characters was, but is the base game decent? Story OK? World hold up?

Amir0x truthfully if one never played the first game they should enjoy the title due to not knowing how the game was initially designed the changes in 2 will not effect their opinions.

cyborg009

Banned
Damn. Now I hope for a fan translation of the PSP game at least

Vic was trying to get license but it was too costly and I doubt since a niche game would grab attention of fan translators. But maybe something good might happen something when this game releases.

hongcha

The Japanese objections to this game are all focused on one thing: Nueko. Many Japanese find her centrality to the game to be very off-putting. (So much so that an Amazon hate-campaign sprung up in an effort to destroy the game's reputation.) It is different from the first game in this regard, but personally I found 2 to be the far superior game overall, and I liked how Nueko was implemented in the game. If you never played the first, give this game a try. It's cheap, and if you like JRPGs you will probably enjoy it.

Amir0x

Banned
Amir0x truthfully if one never played the first game they should enjoy the title due to not knowing how the game was initially designed the changes in 2 will not effect their opinions.

Well I'm not really concerned about past products (other than my interest in them being piqued), I'm more wondering if the game stands well on its own gameplay-wise and if its elements are worth exploring at $19.99. It's a good price as it stands, so I'm just waiting to hear from some trusted GAFers on whether or not it's worth an attempt.

Aeana

The Japanese objections to this game are all focused on one thing: Nueko. Many Japanese find her centrality to the game to be very off-putting. (So much so that an Amazon hate-campaign sprung up in an effort to destroy the game's reputation.) It is different from the first game in this regard, but personally I found 2 to be the far superior game overall, and I liked how Nueko was implemented in the game. If you never played the first, give this game a try. It's cheap, and if you like JRPGs you will probably enjoy it.

I don't think Nueko will bother me, as I mentioned above. But I'm concerned about other things mentioned in the reviews.

mrjohill

didnt they patch out some of the more restricting nueko requirements?

randomkid

I'm still extremely excited for the game just because the premise seems like absolutely nothing else out there, and if there are time limits that kind of stress actually sounds like it could be fun (I'm also apparently the only person who really enjoyed fatigue in Persona 3 and thought it added much needed tension and improved pacing).

Plus on the Megaten tip, there's God Fusion! The mythology stuff is even more of a bonus on top of how plain ridiculously good it looks. At $20 it's a clear no-brainer, very eager to decide how everything works together for myself.

hongcha

didnt they patch out some of the more restricting nueko requirements?

Yes. I think the game got 7 patches in Japan (my JP version is 1.07, so I'm guessing it's 7), and many aspects other than Nueko were tweaked. They spent a lot of time refining it, and fortunately the English language version getting released today will be the nicely polished one.

Shouta

PSP version of OreShika 1 is SUPER Good. For the JP speaking folks, I'd recommend playing it if you've got time. Easily one of the best RPGs on the PSP.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well I'm not really concerned about past products (other than my interest in them being piqued), I'm more wondering if the game stands well on its own gameplay-wise and if its elements are worth exploring at $19.99. It's a good price as it stands, so I'm just waiting to hear from some trusted GAFers on whether or not it's worth an attempt.

the family system will most def get you attached to you characters and it is something unique for 20 id say its worth checking out personally!

froliq

The family system sounds interesting and something I love to see in games. I assume I get to name my characters?

jzbluz

So it is definitely not available at midnight. I have the feeling that Sony will be late updating the store and I won't have a chance to play it until late tomorrow night. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'm really excited about this game and I want to play it before I have to leave for work.

Gonna pick this up and go in completely blind. I really know nothing about the game but at that price I'm just going to see what it's about for myself.

Have any links popped up for the physical R3 release? Play-Asia still doesn't have it up.

http://www.play-asia.com/oreshika-tainted-bloodlines-english-paOS-13-49-en-70-8ji5.html

Can anyone advise me on the practicalities of importing this?

It was my plan to get the R3 version, but I've read somewhere that the game uses internet connection to generate dungeons after the first two (or something like that), and so importing might not be a viable option.

Any input from anyone who has played the game?

This game looks so good. I don't know if I'll ever have time to play it, but I'm definitely supporting it. Maybe while I wait for dungeon queues in FFXIV.

Really looking forward to playing this, looks gorgeous and sounds like my sort of JRPG. Won't be buying until next month though, after the March deluge.

Ricker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzRz-xE53Xk

Launch trailer is out!

Will put update the OP with it once I'm home. Hope the game is out by then as well.

lol I find this funny considering your avatar.
People seem to be misinterpreting the "time limit" thing though.

And that is why I never finished an Atelier game lol...but what are the time requirements...? somekind of thing like Majora's or Lightning Return or is it less demanding...?

Sitrus

And that is why I never finished an Atelier game lol...but what are the time requirements...? somekind of thing like Majora's or Lightning Return or is it less demanding...?

Your character dies after approx. 2 years, which is about 24 dungeons or procreations in this game. There are systems to prolong it for a few months though.

And the dungeons are not really random. The events in them are though.

Hikami

It would be a pain to try and explain it since I'm on mobile at the moment but, it's nothing like Atelier where you have to finish the game by x date or do something by x date.
Seems like reviews are starting to come out, hopefully one of them can explain it.

TheChaos0

I won't have time to play this in March... but I guess I'll just buy day one anyways. Was really looking forward to it when it was first announced.

matmanx1

Definitely excited for this one. Need to remember to pick up a PSN card today! I hope it will play as good as it looks.

Ohnonono

Time limits?? WTF

I am not positive but I don't think its actual time limits. You have a certain amount of time before your character dies, and you start off with your new spawn. I don' t think its anything like FAIL BAD END stuff. I could be wrong but that is my impression.

Top Bottom