• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

Fakkin' 'ell, it's all happening today isn't it. Helldivers, OlliOlli 2 and now this. I can't keep up with it all these games.

Edit - Forgot about White Night. This is insane.

I am not positive but I don't think its actual time limits. You have a certain amount of time before your character dies, and you start off with your new spawn. I don' t think its anything like FAIL BAD END stuff. I could be wrong but that is my impression.

I hope you're right. :(

Wereroku

I hope you're right. :(

Think about it like a real person. Each of your characters has a life span and as they age they get stronger until they reach their prime then they start getting weaker until you can choose to breed them. So you have to time when your characters will be in their prime so you can finish the harder story dungeons.

Hikami

That's pretty disheartening. Things of that length are rarely well paced.
There are difficulty options that make the game longer/shorter.
Wow, Sony is lazy. Still using Japanese footage when the game is supposed to come out today. I wonder if they were actually planning on teasing the game for a few weeks/months but then forgot about it.
Latest blog post says they actually were making a trailer with english footage but didnt finish it in time.

autoduelist

Pepsi can speak for himself but I remember he wrote quite a bit about it here:

http://gematsu.com/2014/08/outside-oreshika-tainted-bloodlines-user-reviews-edition

Ok, the short version for those that don't want to read that essay is that in the original, your party was completely your family tree -- sure, they died, new ones born, but it was yours. In this one, they also introduce a permanent cast/party member that takes up 1 slot in your team and this pissed off fans to infinity. They no longer felt like they were fighting for their family, but for this permanent party member they weren't even 'related' to.

That said, the mechanics/systems that were loved in the original were by and large -improved-. There were a few issues (mostly related to costs of things, etc) that caused issues and have been [from what i can tell] patched.

Well I'm not really concerned about past products (other than my interest in them being piqued), I'm more wondering if the game stands well on its own gameplay-wise and if its elements are worth exploring at $19.99. It's a good price as it stands, so I'm just waiting to hear from some trusted GAFers on whether or not it's worth an attempt.

The above essay says gameplay systems are even more refined than the original, which were beloved. So I think we're fine 'gameplay' wise.

And some kind of time limit to do stuff ?...double out,I hate any type of time limit in games.

There is no overall time limit like in Atelier games, where i'm out just like you. The only time limit is that each character eventually dies... but you get new, stronger ones to take their place. There is no overall time limit... you never 'lose' the game and miss out on anything, you just send new, stronger units in to finish the dungeon or whatever. That doesn't bother me at all, though Atelier style time limits are definitely a no go for me.

Ok, the short version for those that don't want to read that essay is that in the original, your party was completely your family tree -- sure, they died, new ones born, but it was yours. In this one, they also introduce a permanent cast/party member that takes up 1 slot in your team and this pissed off fans to infinity. They no longer felt like they were fighting for their family, but for this permanent party member they weren't even 'related' to.

That said, the mechanics/systems that were loved in the original were by and large -improved-. There were a few issues (mostly related to costs of things, etc) that caused issues and have been [from what i can tell] patched.

The above essay says gameplay systems are even more refined than the original, which were beloved. So I think we're fine 'gameplay' wise.

There is no overall time limit like in Atelier games, where i'm out just like you. The only time limit is that each character eventually dies... but you get new, stronger ones to take their place. There is no overall time limit... you never 'lose' the game and miss out on anything, you just send new, stronger units in to finish the dungeon or whatever. That doesn't bother me at all, though Atelier style time limits are definitely a no go for me.

Ok this sounds better, back on board.

Tohsaka

There is no overall time limit... you never 'lose' the game and miss out on anything, you just send new, stronger units in to finish the dungeon or whatever. That doesn't bother me at all, though Atelier style time limits are definitely a no go for me.

Sounds good. I don't even really mind the Atelier time limits too much, but I'm glad they're gone in Shallie.

Ricker

Oh ok cool then,guess I will pick it up and hey,like they say,its only 18 bucks(PS +) :p

Takao

Banned
The embargo ended a while ago and now I can say that I am loving this. I felt a bit overwhelmed at first because of all the things you can manage, but I'm getting a hang of it.

Man, this is a beautiful game. Still got that janky running/walking animation from the trailers, though!

Given Ive plat'd every Atelier game...time limits are nothing to me lol Having said that, bummer that your party isn't completely your family like the original...STILL BUY THE GAME PEOPLE JESUS CHRIST

Takao

Banned
I can't comment on how faithful it is to the Japanese, but an FYI: the script localization is solid. At worst, some of the subtitles can be hard to read during the FMVs since it uses a white font. This is no SAO.

You can import an R3 copy.

I would love to do this, but i do not see a copy available anywhere, also added money to my PSN account yesterday for this game. IF it pops up physical somewhere before its on PS Store, then ill grab it and partake in vita sale if still up.

So I heard this doesn't really have a linear story, or is that false? I'll probably still pick it up at some point because everything else looks great, but that's holding me back now.

Wereroku

So I heard this doesn't really have a linear story, or is that false? I'll probably still pick it up at some point because everything else looks great, but that's holding me back now.

It has an overarching plot but I don't think it's story driven. It does technically has a set protagonist and a goal everyone is working towards.

Protag

Banned
Damn now that ive learned theres an asian english copy i want it. i have 2600 MB left, and i want that for Second Chapter. Though i could just get SC on steam...

Wait, so is there a physical English release? I'm at work so I don't really have time to read through the thread.

If there is, I'll probably go that route. If not, I need to stop and buy a PSN card on my way home today.

Ventara

Wait, so is there a physical English release? I'm at work so I don't really have time to read through the thread.

If there is, I'll probably go that route. If not, I need to stop and buy a PSN card on my way home today.

Playasia has a page for an English Asian copy for preorder up, though preorders haven't opened yet.

Top Bottom