• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All W8 apps running on Xbox One says Dell

Rlan

I feel that people are a little confused as to what the Windows 8 store is and what a Windows 8 App is. Having worked on two of them (Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride) I'll see if I can help a bit.

Firstly, not every App is suddenly going to work on an Xbox One, it's just not going to happen. Almost none of them would even have controller support. Hell, Fruit Ninja on Windows 8 is certainly not going to work on your Xbox One.

Second, what games have used on Windows 8 apps, if they're under the Xbox branding, is the shoe-horned Xbox Live functionality that Windows Phone 8 has, meaning it's using 360 style achievements, logins and cut back leaderboards support with friends only. All I've heard about the Xbox One is that the Live functionality will be pretty drastically different, and will keep your 360 games' numbers and stuff all accounted for, but you interact very little with that subsect, so I doubt any of that stuff will work on Xbox One.

Thirdly, people that have said "Oh, Homefront 2's got some Windows 8 Store stuff" clearly haven't actually looked at the Windows 8 App store. The Windows 8 App store is not going after Steam at all. It's far, FAR more casual, with iPhone style games coming to the PC, and is more in line with taking over BigFish.com than anything remotely crazy that Steam has. Almost everything on the store is made to also work on an RT tablet, which means hardcore functionality is out.

If anything, this will allow for app developers to develop for Xbox One as well, but they're not looking for games to be developed with it in mind. It would be stuff like StumbleUpon, social apps and the like.

JaggedSac

Well to be fair the Netflix experience when specifically not watching anything is pretty bad on any device but i really dislike horizontal scrolling through content and big ass icons for the shows/movies and finding my list and stuff is not a good experience with a mouse

Gotcha. I tend to prefer having nice box art, some background imaging, smooth scrolling, etc which is why I want Plex on the Bone. Small streaming boxes and tvs with this stuff just aren't powerful enough for nice looking, responsive UIs.

This is pleasant to me and I could give two farts about horizontal vs vertical scrolling:

03-Apps-Mais-Baixados-do-Windows-8-640x360.jpg

Sure, I would rather the Plex guys spend some extra time to make a UI specifically tailored to the Bone, but if they can just get this up and running it would be great:

plex-for-Windows-8-600x337.png

Well, obviously, given that Sony are not a software company with an existing ecosystem and multiple OS's.

That's like saying "Microsoft will never be able to match Sony's camera and TV manufacturing skillz, losers."
And MS aren't putting the store in Xbone to compete with Sony, in any way, shape or form. You know who they're focusing on.

Who cares if it's obvious? It's just me pointing out an advantage. If Sony were able to leverage some other department into their console (like the Blu Ray push last gen) that added features to their console that the Xbox didn't have, then that'd be a statement worth making too. I'm sorry my post wasn't Pulitzer price worthy.

They're using the legacy of their company to add features to make the console a more compelling device (this could have cool gaming implications) while broadening the scope beyond core gamers , just like Sony tried to do with Blu Ray last time. They are competing with Sony for the living room just like they have always, and also are trying to keep Apple/Google at bay. Nothing you said was exactly novel, either. Guess we should all stop posting until we come up with original thoughts.

HariKari

What's wrong with being able to do this as well as play games?

Nothing, in theory. One could argue that Microsoft's decision to go with the whole DDR nonsense and allot so much RAM for OS tasks (not necessarily playing the game itself) detracts from what XB1 can be as a dedicated gaming device. If they had just made something on the same level as the PS4, then thrown in this sort of functionality, they'd have another X360 hit on their hands.

Instead we get this half-baked HTPC.

SPDIF

I feel that people are a little confused as to what the Windows 8 store is and what a Windows 8 App is. Having worked on two of them (Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride) I'll see if I can help a bit.

Firstly, not every App is suddenly going to work on an Xbox One, it's just not going to happen. Almost none of them would even have controller support. Hell, Fruit Ninja on Windows 8 is certainly not going to work on your Xbox One.

Second, what games have used on Windows 8 apps, if they're under the Xbox branding, is the shoe-horned Xbox Live functionality that Windows Phone 8 has, meaning it's using 360 style achievements, logins and cut back leaderboards support with friends only. All I've heard about the Xbox One is that the Live functionality will be pretty drastically different, and will keep your 360 games' numbers and stuff all accounted for, but you interact very little with that subsect, so I doubt any of that stuff will work on Xbox One.

Thirdly, people that have said "Oh, Homefront 2's got some Windows 8 Store stuff" clearly haven't actually looked at the Windows 8 App store. The Windows 8 App store is not going after Steam at all. It's far, FAR more casual, with iPhone style games coming to the PC, and is more in line with taking over BigFish.com than anything remotely crazy that Steam has. Almost everything on the store is made to also work on an RT tablet, which means hardcore functionality is out.

If anything, this will allow for app developers to develop for Xbox One as well, but they're not looking for games to be developed with it in mind. It would be stuff like StumbleUpon, social apps and the like.

That would be me, and you'd be mistaken :) When I posted that I was just thinking out loud. I came up with a random scenario based on a random image that I hadn't seen before. You weren't supposed to take the post too seriously.

How about doing things you could do on your tablet/phone without reaching for a second device while you're playing a game/watching a movie?
I'll never understand multitasking while watching a movie.

Playing a game with a guide or map open? Sure, that makes some sense. But if I'm watching a movie and somebody snaps something on to the side of the screen I'll just turn the damn movie off.

Nothing, in theory. One could argue that Microsoft's decision to go with the whole DDR nonsense and allot so much RAM for OS tasks (not necessarily playing the game itself) detracts from what XB1 can be as a dedicated gaming device. If they had just made something on the same level as the PS4, then thrown in this sort of functionality, they'd have another X360 hit on their hands.

Instead we get this half-baked HTPC.

I understand your argument, and I hear you. but NO Xbox, not original, not 360, and not One, was EVER meant to be just a games machine. That simple fact is one of the things that allows this gen to be healthy 8yrs in.

Mr_Zombie

I'll never understand multitasking while watching a movie.

Playing a game with a guide or map open? Sure, that makes some sense. But if I'm watching a movie and somebody snaps something on to the side of the screen I'll just turn the damn movie off.

Different strokes for different folks. No one is forcing you to use it, but it's nice to have an option. As Alx said, some people use movies as a "background noise" - the movie is playing in the background while you're doing something else and you're just peeking at it from time to time. Sometimes you just want to quickly check something (mail, news, actor's name etc.) during a movie and switch to a browser or an app. There's a lot of available use cases.

Buzza

Couldn't see it posted already but here's an update from Eurogamer:

UPDATE: A Microsoft spokesperson has replied to us stating “The suggestion that all Windows 8 apps run on Xbox One is not accurate.”

Couldn't see it posted already but here's an update from Eurogamer:

UPDATE: A Microsoft spokesperson has replied to us stating “The suggestion that all Windows 8 apps run on Xbox One is not accurate.”

The verbiage in the feature list does suggest that it's your "favorite" Windows 8 apps. We'll have to see how this progresses. It'll definitely be curated and have to be designed to work with Kinect/controller to some extent

Quasar

Which is pretty much the reason why I've not tried many if any Windows Store apps on my PC. It looks pretty much all like phone apps put on a big screen. I had hoped this was simply due to the immaturity of the WinRT framework in comparison to Win32.

Top Bottom