• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek details - Crysis: 3+ million. Warhead: 1.5+ million. Far Cry: 2.5+ million

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Vaporak said:
So how did going multiplatform with Unreal work out for epic again? It's not at all obvious from the evidence that multiplatform development increases the sales of a title; Multiplatform development is not the panacea that publishers hoped it would be.
UT3 is a funny situation, it didn't even do that well on PC for example so it had other problems. Besides that, it's more comparable as a game to Gears of War than UT3.

I'm not saying Crysis 2 is going to sell 7 million units, but it sure as hell is the reason for Crytek going multiplatform, they want to achieve more. And business wise, it makes sense.

Lime

Great, now they don't have any fucking excuse for using that horrid 4-time installation limit like they did on both Crysis games. Release a copy that doesn't include it, e.g. Steam.

Vaporak

Teetris said:
UT3 is a funny situation, it didn't even do that well on PC for example so it had other problems. Besides that, it's more comparable as a game to Gears of War than UT3.

I'm not saying Crysis 2 is going to sell 7 million units, but it sure as hell is the reason for Crytek going multiplatform, they want to achieve more. And business wise, it makes sense.

Your complete disassociation of UT's sales on PC from it being multiplatform is part of the mindset I was criticizing. You said they want to achieve more (sales) and so it makes sense to go multiplatform, when the evidence suggests that it's very inconclusive if a Multiplatform development strategy actually achieves more sales (thought profit is the better metric to use) than dedicated platform development strategy.

Dennis

Banned
slamskank said:
Aside from the stupid head bobbing thats awesome.

So if the games sold so well why do they need to go to consoles? This just makes me resent crytek for selling out.
I love the crazy head movement. Awesome cinematic effect.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Vaporak said:
Your complete disassociation of UT's sales on PC from it being multiplatform is part of the mindset I was criticizing. You said they want to achieve more (sales) and so it makes sense to go multiplatform, when the evidence suggests that it's very inconclusive if a Multiplatform development strategy actually achieves more sales (thought profit is the better metric to use) than dedicated platform development strategy.
Don't selectively quote. Read the rest too. Crysis is not the same as UT, it's not inconclusive at all.

edit, if you want a directly comparable game look at Far Cry 2. Thinking about it, it might have been the game to push them over the ledge too

Chiggs

Wow, I had no idea it sold this well. I was always under the impression it did poorly (then again, how many of these were sold at discount two or three years after the fact?)

dLMN8R

Chiggs said:
Wow, I had no idea it sold this well. I was always under the impression it did poorly (then again, how many of these were sold at discount two or three years after the fact?)
Why does it matter? Crytek said the game was profitable for them, and that was more than 2 years ago. It wasn't heavily discounted until 1-2 years ago, well after it made that profit, which means that all those subsequent discounted sales were even more profit on top of what they'd already made.

Chiggs

dLMN8R said:
Why does it matter?

It matters because if half of those sales came from the price being $19.99 it's not nearly as impressive financially. My guess is that once people got more powerful rigs, they purchased the game. Then again, how many people purchased new hardware because of Crysis? And how many pack-in deals was Crytek awarded? Something to chew on.

Crysis is an incredibly forward-thinking game in terms of visuals; I hope part 2 is along the same lines, but a little more viable for people with reasonable rigs. That way the sales are at full retail pricing.

Dennis

Banned
CryTek obviously underestimated the man-baby aspects of the PC gaming community. I vividly remember the torrent of whiny forum posts when people discovered their uber-rigs couldn't max out the game.

It really was sad that CryTek was punished for future-proofing their game by having settings that weren't really playable in 2007. I guess they should have included them later as DLC !

I loved, loved tweaking the game and admiring what was possible now even if I had to turn some settings down when actually laying.
fuck no I didn't turn anything down, I just played wth 15 fps

Unfortunately, CryTek has probably learned their lesson for Crysis 2....

dLMN8R

Chiggs said:
It matters because if half of those sales came from the price being $19.99 it's not nearly as impressive financially. My guess is that once people got more powerful rigs, they purchased the game. Then again, how many people purchased new hardware because of Crysis? And how many pack-in deals was Crytek awarded? Something to chew on.

Crysis is an incredibly forward-thinking game in terms of visuals; I hope part 2 is along the same lines, but a little more viable for people with reasonable rigs. That way the sales are at full retail pricing.
It matters significantly because, again, they were profitable long before any of those sales took place.

-They reached 1.5 million as of June 2008.
-They announced the game was profitable in August of 2008.
-The game wasn't even available on Steam until September of 2008
-Before the game was on Steam, it never had any major discounts of any sort

So with all that said, that's another 1.5 million to go after June of 2008, and that's at a minimum $10 for each of those copies sold (Crysis has never gone for cheaper than that, I don't think).

Then consider that Digital sales get them a huge portion of that $10, compared to retail, and you're looking at a huge wad of cash. Still impressive.

I really don't think people appreciate just how wide a chasm revenue is for digital sales compared to retail sales for PC games. Even Crysis selling for $10 on Steam gets them a pretty decent amount of money compared to a discounted title selling at retail.

matmanx1

Good for them. I just bought Warhead during the Steam sale and will be giving it a run as soon as I put my new PC build together in a week or so. I played the original back in 2009 and loved every minute of it. Go Crytek!

szaromir said:
I hear Unreal Tournament was a bad game, no wonder it tanked. Going multiplatform overall made wonders for Epic, they are just printing money nowadays with revenues from engine licensing and hits on various platforms.

No....just....no.

UT/Quake/Tribes are games from an earlier era. I personally always preferred UT from the "big 3" of hyperkinetic deathmatch/arena shooters.

They don't seem to be in demand in today's 'modern war' obsessed world, sure, but by no means are they bad.

If a game tanking means it must be bad, then games like ICO, Okami, Psychonauts etc. must be utter shit.

dLMN8R said:
But if you look at a digital sale on Steam, it's rumored that Valve takes around 20-30%, which would mean that for a $50 game, the publisher/developer gets $40, whereas for a retail sale, it probably wouldn't come out to much more than $10-15 after distribution costs and retail markup are taken into consideration.
Depends on the product. Rockstar titles for instance are very competitive day one for pricing. Some stores claim after logistics/retail overheads they only make a few bucks per unit and they make their money through the sheer volume and having no choice but to stock it.

_tetsuo_ said:
F.E.A.R. would like to speak to you.

How about this...

F.E.A.R for the raw satisfaction of combat
Crysis for the best open environments
STALKER for the best atmosphere

Now, someone go and splice them for the best game ever!

dLMN8R said:
Other tidbits:
They've released "3 AAA games" (Far Cry, Crysis, Warhead), but claim that have 5 currently in development. We know 3, what could the others be?
TimeSplitters 4 I hope. :D

Chiggs

DennisK4 said:
CryTek obviously underestimated the man-baby aspects of the PC gaming community. I vividly remember the torrent of whiny forum posts when people discovered their uber-rigs couldn't max out the game.

:lol

I would just prefer it if developers created a targeted system spec for their games and would state in confidence that those who meet that targeted spec will run the game at a certain fidelity. And, no, I'm not talking about recommended system specs which are utter bullshit.

I think Crysis 2 is being developed with a GTX 580 in mind, so don't count that game out just yet in terms of next-gen visuals.

Mr Sandman said:
TimeSplitters 4 I hope. :D

Maybe the humour turned off those german sourpusses, and they cancelled it out of spite.

I keed, I keed.

But I was ecstatic upon seeing the concept art Free Radical released/leaked.

Heres hoping The 'Split lives on.

Vaporak

Chiggs said:

I would just prefer it if developers created a targeted system spec for their games and would state in confidence that those who meet that targeted spec will run the game at a certain fidelity. And, no, I'm not talking about recommended system specs which are utter bullshit.

I think Crysis 2 is being developed with a GTX 580 in mind, so don't count that game out just yet in terms of next-gen visuals.

But Crytek did exactly that...They had a component by component list and how much it would have cost at the time. It just basically came down to 8800GTX/GT = high settings, which pissed everyone off who thought their hardware should be good enough to run anything maxed out, regardless of what "maxed out" meant in terms of graphic fidelity.

Chiggs

Vaporak said:
But Crytek did exactly that...They had a component by component list and how much it would have cost at the time. It just basically came down to 8800GTX/GT = high settings, which pissed everyone off who thought their hardware should be good enough to run anything maxed out, regardless of what "maxed out" meant in terms of graphic fidelity.

I'm sorry, but this is bordering on revisionist history. Playing Crysis with an 8800GTX at high required you drop to much lower resolutions, otherwise your framerate takes a Texas-sized dump all over your monitor. Even adding a second card didn't yield satisfactory results--and I'm not even talking about the so-called man-babies who were crying because they couldn't hit 60fps all the time. I'm talking about achieving steady framerates that hovered around 30-40fps at 1080p. This is why people were so mad! It wasn't until I got my 4870x2 that I got to experience Crysis in a more respectable manner--and even then the performance sometimes shit the bed.

Then again, I do subscribe to the Valve school of thought regarding pc game performance.

Chiggs said:
I'm sorry, but this is bordering on revisionist history. Playing Crysis with an 8800GTX at high required you drop to much lower resolutions, otherwise your framerate takes a Texas-sized dump all over your monitor. Even adding a second card didn't yield satisfactory results--and I'm not even talking about the so-called man-babies who were crying because they couldn't hit 60fps all the time. I'm talking about achieving steady framerates that hovered around 30-40fps at 1080p. This is why people were so mad! It wasn't until I got my 4870x2 that I got to experience Crysis in a more respectable manner--and even then the performance sometimes shit the bed.

Then again, I do subscribe to the Valve school of thought regarding pc game performance.
I don't think 1080p was all that common of a gaming resolution at the time, was it? I'd guess that when Crysis was released, most people were playing at 1280x1024 or similar.

From what I remember, the game was definitely playable at ~30fps for a lot of players at the time at decent visual settings.

Wallach

rohlfinator said:
I don't think 1080p was all that common of a gaming resolution at the time, was it? I'd guess that when Crysis was released, most people were playing at 1280x1024 or similar.

From what I remember, the game was definitely playable at ~30fps for a lot of players at the time at decent visual settings.

Crysis was late 2007. I would say the "average" gamer probably wasn't playing at 1080p but one of the more common widescreen resolutions at the time (stuff like 1680 x 1050). I remember Crysis being ~25 FPS on the GTX at that resolution on default high settings (though AA was out of the question).

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I remember running Crysis at low-medium settings on my 7600gt at 1024x768 and still thinking it looked amazing back when it first came out.

So...

teepo

i wonder what the average selling price was. the 3 million figure really doesn't say much unless we can somehow get a measure of price elasticity as well as some accounting costs. otherwise, for a game that has been on the market for three years, these numbers mean shit.

Chiggs

Wallach said:
Crysis was late 2007. I would say the "average" gamer probably wasn't playing at 1080p but one of the more common widescreen resolutions at the time (stuff like 1680 x 1050). I remember Crysis being ~25 FPS on the GTX at that resolution on default high settings (though AA was out of the question).

Pretty much.

Granted, the whiners who were trying to enable 16X AA and AF were delusional. But if you just spent $450 on a new graphics card that was touted as being the best way to play Crysis and then being greeted by 24fps (18fps for some of the Carrier level), I think there's some validity to the bitching.

When Far Cry came out in 2004 it featured state of the art graphics that really lessened the impact of HL2 and Doom 3; however, the performance on even a Radeon 9700 Pro (a year and a half old card) was superb. I'd sort of like to see that again.

iam220 said:
At the time of release it was the best looking game on an 8800GT while maintaining 30fps

Yeah, at 1024 * 768. :lol

Chiggs

teepo said:
i wonder what the average selling price was. the 3 million figure really doesn't say much unless we can somehow get a measure of price elasticity as well as some accounting costs. otherwise, for a game that has been on the market for three years, these numbers mean shit.

I tried bringing this up earlier, but it wasn't too popular. I do remember stories from back in 2007 about how EA was disappointed with sales of Crysis. Obviously, word of mouth about the game's performance started to spread. But, hey, I guess we were all just punishing Crytek for being forward-thinking.

In other news, Trespasser is the greatest pc game of all time.

Vaporak

Chiggs said:
I tried bringing this up earlier, but it wasn't too popular. I do remember stories from back in 2007 about how EA was disappointed with sales of Crysis. Obviously, word of mouth about the game's performance started to spread. But, hey, I guess we were all just punishing Crytek for being forward-thinking.

The first mention of sales for Crysis by EA was saying it had exceeded their expectations. But PC gaming was notoriously in the throes of death that year and a positive narrative on Crysis's sales was never going to develop, the facts be damned.

benjipwns

Banned
Darth Kupi said:
No....just....no.

UT/Quake/Tribes are games from an earlier era. I personally always preferred UT from the "big 3" of hyperkinetic deathmatch/arena shooters.

They don't seem to be in demand in today's 'modern war' obsessed world, sure, but by no means are they bad.

If a game tanking means it must be bad, then games like ICO, Okami, Psychonauts etc. must be utter shit.
I think he was talking about UT3.

At least I hope so. (Though I disagree but not as much as I would regarding the original.)

Chiggs said:

But it is....

Which reminds me, Crysis need more boobs.

benjipwns said:
I think he was talking about UT3.

At least I hope so. (Though I disagree but not as much as I would regarding the original.)

I figured, but still....UT3 was still a quality product.

The on foot action felt like a blend of UT99/UT2004.

Vehicles were better then ever. (Goliath no longer felt like you were pushing a box with a big gun on it through sand. necris wheels were dope.)

It was a great arena/DM shooter, the best since UT2004. (since both Doom3 & Quake 4 were duds in the multiplayer department IMO)

It was the best offering in an increasingly niche genre'.

Why hate it just cuz it aint got no M16s?

Chiggs

Vaporak said:
The first mention of sales for Crysis by EA was saying it had exceeded their expectations. But PC gaming was notoriously in the throes of death that year and a positive narrative on Crysis's sales was never going to develop, the facts be damned.

Okay. Not EA. NPD.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/14/crysis-sales-in-crisis-ut3-gets-fragged-too/3

Perhaps this can be considered a lesson for game developers eager to deliver tomorrow's game technology today: Crysis hit the PC market with an exoskeleton-enhanced thud. The critically praised -- but processing intensive -- title sold a disappointing 86,633 units in the States following its Nov. 13 release.

_Bro

Banned
Far Cry's first 2 'levels' were awesome. Haters gonna hate.

Far Cry 2 was craptastic.

Crysis, even played OnLive, was still a blast. The AI had the perfect mixture of awareness and alertness that allowed me to be a fucking asshole.

That's all I want in a videogame: to be an asshole.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Chiggs said:

I am a tad dissapointed with the GTX580 performance tbqh (unnoticeable bump over my GTX295). I doubt I will be able to get Crysis to look as good as the promo shots released.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Jesus that Crysis extreme video is insane. That would be hailed as the 2nd coming of Christ if it was a console retail release.

dLMN8R

teepo said:
Chiggs said:

Once again, when the game made a profit on 1.5 million of those sales or less, and continued to sell at least 1.5 million more after that, why does it matter so much exact what the average selling price was?

1.5 million sales or more after successfully breaking even on a risky game on the supposedly "failing" platform is an amazing achievement in its own right.

Chiggs said:
I was one of the loudest voices championing back then about how those NPD numbers were totally useless. Even though the game wasn't on Steam yet, there was still plenty more to take under consideration.

Call of Duty 4 did pretty well on PC that year too, and Crysis was right up there in the sales charts with CoD 4 all over Europe. And then those numbers didn't take into consideration any of the digital sales that were there outside of Steam

benjipwns

Banned
Darth Kupi said:
I figured, but still....UT3 was still a quality product.
I agree, I personally like it, especially after the big update a couple years ago. But lots of people were disappointed and that'd explain why he "heard it was bad." It would be odd to hear that about the original though. (Or 2004.)

Pikelet

I bought it for super cheap when i built my new computer. It's a pretty damn good game. Not up to the level of design of something like Half Life 2, but the sheer quantity of options makes it super fun all the way through. Except the last level which ran poorly and looked like a ridiculous light show whilst you play target practice with the weakpoint. Story was also trash.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
shintoki said:
You mean the same idiocy on consoles, where games make it or break it basically on their first month sales. For a game that did "Disappointing" the company hasn't lost any staff, they've been expanding.

Military and big corp contracts.

Top Bottom