• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you currently feel about your life?

norm9

Got vacation to look forward to in a month. Need to keep reading travel books to see which country I wanna visit.

wamberz1

It's actually been pretty great so far.

Moved out of my parents placeat a way younger age than the average, moved to the city, working at a job that's very low-stress and great for entry level experience, money is slowly climbing, got an apartment in a fantastic location.

But despite all that I would only put my happiness-meter at about a 5 because, well... I have absolutely no friends.

I'm definitely more of an introvert, sure, but I haven't talked to anyone even close to my age in more than a year and I'm kinda starting to go crazy. Meetup has fallen through so far (cool for meeting friendly strangers at events and stuff, but the relationship never progresses from there) and I basically mostly work by myself at my workplace.

If anyone was once in a similar situation and got out, I'd appreciate any advice.

Anyways, I still consider myself very lucky... especially reading some of the responses in this thread. I'm more and more thankful every day I don't suffer from any mental/physical illnesses.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Promoted twice this year. Making more money than I have a right to make.Not crazy money, but really good for my area with only a high school education. My first salaried management gig. Work is stressful, I'm there at least 50 hours a week which is kind of a tough change.

Decent long-term relationship. Coming up on 3 years next month. The busier I get in my career the more I just want to be left alone and do what I want when I'm not there. I don't want to talk to anyone or put up with their bullshit, hear their problems, anything like that. That isn't a good sign, but she's so ingrained in my life now, and it would be so hard to start over when I want to be with someone again, I guess it's more trouble than it's worth to change this issue right now. Changing it likely won't get any easier going forward, though.

Regiruler

This may seem like weird advice, but people looking for something to live for: pick up any hobby where there's news at least monthly on average. I personally have Yugioh which has a news dump in the middle of every month.

You need something to look forward to, a small next thing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm working 70+ hours a week as a medical resident.
It's amazing, but very taxing. Life is great otherwise.

I'm not happy that my current work schedule is kinda wrecking my workout routines though.

zeshakag

This may seem like weird advice, but people looking for something to live for: pick up any hobby where there's news at least monthly on average. I personally have Yugioh which has a news dump in the middle of every month.

This right here is some good advice.

It's going pretty well! My internship just ended—albeit bittersweet—so I'm looking for another one this spring. This fall is also my last semester before graduation, and at this point I feel very knowledgeable in what I do in my field, so transitioning into the real world in terms of my career should be smooth sailing. I've also been making great progress with my lifts, expanding my horizons, and acquiring some good habits and new hobbies.

mike6467

This is good advice, plus hobbies often involve other tasks you need to learn and can distract from bad stuff.

Right now I'm doing ok, still employed in a good field, going to school with my company paying most of my tuition.

On the negative, I just got out of a 5 year relationship and am still sharing my house with her due to our circumstances (we both acknowledged there were too many major incompatibilities on the relationship front, but we were platonic best friends for 3 years before this relationship started so we still get along).

It's just awkward and a lot harder to process when they're still so close. I essentially have half the house with my own entrance and a small kitchen. Not sure how much longer it'll last, but I think when there's some closure there I'll be in a much better place.

Plus, ya know, politics and scary shit. I think the breakup and all the news is kind of serving to distract me from the other, so I guess that's kind of a good thing?

I feel like I've see the question on Gaf a lot lately lol

I finally started talking to a therapist again who seems alright, and I'm going back to school. So while I don't feel too great about things now I feel like I'm moving in the right direction at least.

I'm about to turn 25 in a few weeks so I'm really assessing how my 20s have been going.

On the surface I'm fine I guess. I have a job that pays enough. I can afford a small studio to live in. I've become pretty complacent in my current situation and I'm having a hard time moving forward to the next big thing. I really want to make a change soon. Have a few personal projects going on, but I'm progressing very slowly on them.

ChuyMasta

Officially mid 30's, wife and kid.

But theres some "extras" in my life that need to move on. You know, stop sucking on moms tit

san00ake

Just got a new job with a big pay increase, but I'm as alone and lonely as a human being can be, and not due to lack of trying. Here's to hoping the right person appears...

I have a good life.

Though I'm currently feeling a little weird. On Sunday I returned home after successfully completing a month-long thru-hike of the John Muir Trail. You ever get that weird empty feeling after finishing a really good book/video game/TV show/movie? That's kinda what I'm feeling right now, but a little worse. On the JMT, every single day was a new adventure. It felt so epic to be out there. Now I'm back home, and life has gone back to normal, and I feel a little empty inside. I know it'll pass though.

Gragen

I can't complain. Joined the military 9 years ago and bought a house with my wife while I was stationed in San Diego. Sold my house in San Diego 2 months ago for twice what we paid on it. Moved back home and bought a house with cash. Not even 40 years old. Now I actually have something for my kids to fight over when I die. Feels good.

Need a job though.

SRG01

Career's great. Personal and social life sucks though.

Kind of makes me wonder where my life would be if I had made different choices.

Orcastar

Disappointed.

Been working in the same dead-end job for five and a half years now, during which time I've gotten exactly one, measly raise. The work itself is mostly enjoyable, but almost everything else about my job sucks. Even so I can't muster up the motivation to find something better or even come up with anything else I would like to do.

After work I just play videogames, browse the Internet, watch Netflix or read the occasional book. Got no real hobbies.

Only got two friends, one of whom just moved to another country for at least six months, so won't be seeing him for a while. Never been in a relationship, probably never will. Interacting with other people is exhausting and awkward.

Thinking of getting a dog, so that's something, I guess.

Syf

Banned
Been thinking about this since seeing the thread an hour ago. There's nothing really bothering or worrying me about my life. No big thing I'd change. I worked my way into this situation which is satisfying in itself. I'm where I want to be, on the path I want to be on, in a healthy relationship with an amazing woman. Optimistic about the future, secure in the present; I'm happy. Plus my favorite game got remastered a couple days ago I mean come on.

Maz

My life is a mixed bag.

My salary is amazing, like I am seriously being way overpaid.
Just bought my dream car 1966 mustang (I own 3 cars and 2 bikes now)
I travel whenever I can, I've been averaging 5-6 times a year.
Have a great group of friends

Now for the bad
I work in a remote location which makes having a relationship hard, even with friends it gets lonely
My car got stolen 3 months ago
The political situation in the region is totally fucked, but its the ME so nothing new
Work is boring most of the time

Overall I am happy I guess

It's been over a year since graduating college and I can't get a job if my life depended on it. Currently living off savings and am losing any confidence that I'll ever get into the industry.

So outlook not so good right now.

Jencks

Banned
Pretty great, though I'm only 18. I had a fantastic childhood, and high school was a blast. I'm just really excited to see what the future brings. Starting college in a week to pursue a degree in engineering.

FluxWaveZ

h0fnPjO.jpg
Pretty much, but with 4 years added to it. I need a way to go back in time or something.

Draper

Pretty bad.

The indian girl whom I was madly in love with, whom I was with for years caved to her parents demands and left me. It destroyed every part of me. I thought killing myself for a while, but instead, before I could fall to that mental pressure, I committed career-suicide instead. I quit my job and drove across the country to Colorado to stay with a friend out here.

The thing is, I haven't gotten better. I still think of her plenty. And what's more is I'm still unemployed, I won't be able to make my bills this month, and the job I thought I had locked in just called me to tell me they chose a different candidate. So at this point I'm trying to sell shit- my Switch for starters, just to stay above.

Then, a few days back, I accidentally ran my head into the fridge door. I thought nothing of it and drank heavily the following evening. Then that morning, I felt absolutely terrible, like I'm in a deep fog that I can't get out of. At first I thought it was just a hangover, but it's lasted for several days now. It's like my mind is disconnected from all else. I'm thinking it's a concussion at this point, but I don't have medical insurance to get it checked on.

So here I sit still dazed hoping that I'm not having any internal bleeding, wondering when everything went to hell. I really don't want to be alive any longer.

I'm 26. Married to a wonderful girl. Making good money. Just bought a condo. I'm doing well, but I'm also stressed as hell. My commute is quite taxing and I'm stressed about my performance at my work. When people don't do well the company doesn't keep them around long. I feel like people are on my side but a fellow coworker just got let go almost randomly.

So I don't want to get too comfortable.

bosseye

It's generally ok. My job is good, my house is nice, my kids are happy and healthy, my wife and I have been together for almost 9 years and are pretty solid I'd say.

But it's not all sunshine and lollipops, wife was diagnosed with depression a few months back and is on meds which has been hard for her and me. She has quit her job, which isn't ideal but it was the tipping point for her depression so we agreed it was for the best to hand her notice in; health comes before money, but without her salary things are going to be super tight for a while and obviously there is no timescale for when she'll feel able to look for more work.

We'll get through it though.

So yeah, as ever it's ups and downs but luckily the ups are currently higher than the downs.

I'm back in school and doing fantastic in my classes, so that's good. My main concern now is trying to get a job. So far it's not going too well so I'm starting to get frustrated.

Top Bottom