• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you currently feel about your life?

Just feel like a robot on a travelator. Every day just feels the same, so a bit moody these days I suppose.

Social life is okay, got some friends, but I really need to get myself a partner.

dhlt25

from other people view my life is pretty good. Decent job, no debt, plenty of friends/hobbies. In reality it's very meh for me, no motivation, no drive, I'm pessimistic as fuck about everything. Sometimes I just want to give up and go live in a jungle or a farm somewhere

wondermega

Awful garbage.

My life continues to fall apart and my health worsens.

My new therapist and psych are useless, and it's forced me to look elsewhere for better care. Losing the best therapist I've had in my life and probably my best psych, fucking sucks.

My dad continues to threaten me with eviction and violence, because he is disgraced at having a liberal for a son, and even though he says he accepts my bisexuality he probably doesn't and it is probably killing him inside since he believes that being gay/bi/trans is a mental disease and or fad. Yes, he is a borderline neonazi, actually fuck that he just is, since he looks at Trump even after people can no longer say "give the nazi a chance" without they themselves either being okay with everything he stands for or apathetic. I've already caught him partially denying the holocaust which is mindblowingly terrible given the sheer fact of what my Grandfather had to endure during World War 2, trying, imprisoning, and killing literal nazis and helping Holocaust victims.

My mother has been fighting against him, mostly because she doesn't even recognize him anymore and probably loves me more than him at least on some level.

So yeah fucked up family stuff, oh and pretty much having no money for anything, including food.

My book hasn't sold well at all, which doesn't surprise me. I've been so depressed I've barely worked on my next one.. which I hope to have out later this year... but that might not happen.

Nuclear war and a possible world war on the horizon, The interesting thing is if one cancels the other out or we get both.

So yeah things are pretty shit.

Honestly, I'd probably be happy if the world ended.

that's a rough row to hoe. But give me a link to your book, I'll check it out.

I'm going to kill myself in a little over a year from now.

Also, why do people say shit like this? It's a cry for help. Please reach out if you honestly feel this disconnected and lonely. To your friends or family or people on here (including me). Please don't do this we need you.

Media

I feel pretty trapped 90% of the time.

But I'm going to school and holding a 4.0 at 35. That's something.

Mostly thought I feel trapped and tired.

And pain of course since I have two major autoimmune diseases. But have to play the card I've been dealt.

Edit: trapped is referring to my relationship.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Good:
Amazing, well-paying job as a software engineer.
I live in a dreamy place, close to amazing beaches and just peace.
My fiance moved a year ago with me and it's been quite a fun ride.
My side business is slowly, steadily making progress and generating more money. It started slow as hell but i got hired to create a new shiny piece of software that should open wide doors for me.
Thinking of buying or building a new house.
Traveled with some friends a few weeks ago and had a blast. Planning some more tropa!

Bad:
My health is so so. Goddamn being overweight. I've lost a good deal of weight but not enough.
My fiancé depression kicks in sometimes.
Still not sure if I should get into a mortgage.
Would love to be full time on my own company but still not enough money coming from it so I can make the change. Also... This and the mortgage are basically mutually exclusive so I need to consider my options.

Otherwise... Real happy with stuff.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Fucking knackered but apart from that pretty decent.

Daughter about to hit a year old and still not sure how the hell that's happened. I still remember holding a tiny helpless little thing moments after she arrived pretty violently into the world and now she's a walking, babbling bundle of joy.

And tantrums, and hates being dressed. But whose smile can light up a room and is full of love and affection. And likes the Twirlywoos.

Starting to get a little more energy to do other stuff now she's more independent and we have put safety measures in place to minimise the risk of sudden baby fail.

So yeah, pretty ok. Could do with budgeting better but no harm done other than killing our emergency fund buying birthday stuff.

13randO

Wake up every day wanting to die. Keep managing to push past those feelings and continue onwards. It's all I can do sometimes, but I praise myself when doing even small things that seem simple but take a ton of energy for me to do because of my depression. Proud that I've made it this far.

I'm getting better at it, even though I thought the worst of it has long since passed. Maybe soon I'll be happy again. Even starting to enjoy playing video games again. Gonna try to get back into my art and cultivate my abilities since I haven't drawn in nearly 6 months despite trying to be a concept artist.

I feel determined to not let my depression claim me.

I'm super glad that you are being so strong and pushing through it. Stay strong, my dude, I believe.

--

After a year of grinding out work and online classes from home after graduating uni, I finally made a huge leap towards my dream job. My mom believed in me and allowed me to try to go for the dream, and I have been finally able to make something of it. Now I can finally do what I've always wanted and help her with the bills so she has to work way less. The only girl that I've ever truly felt strongly for (we've had a long, weird relationship till now. We were first friends in high school, then I asked her out, then we fell out and five years later we ran into each other again by pure conquincidence). I still feel for her and she knows that and is cool with that, but she has a boyfriend of 2 years now I'm not out here trying to step on people's toes. We're friends, but things are kinda weird. It bums me out from time to time, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really a big problem. Overall, things are going pretty great.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just moved out of my parent's house at 28. Yes, I know, that's really late.

Anxious about living in a new place/country, starting a new job, living on my own, trying to live a healthy lifestyle (new food/gym accessibility rules)....

I'm stressed. Really stressed. Put on some weight too. Need to drop it fast - started cooking at home. Turns out I can cook eggs and fish.

I miss my house, my folks, my pets, my old routine, having a dryer, knowing people...

At the same time I think I needed this. I was just going to stagnate as a manchild forever at home, at least to some degree, even if I did have a job (at times). Here I can finally become someone.

Vibed

Life's going the way it should, my plans are set for the near future, and I don't have much to complain about, but I suffer constant anxiety over physical traits that I can't control very well, so often I have a difficult time enjoying the moment.

Plum

Realising that I've got 2 years left until I'm out of the safety bubble of education and it's really fucking me up. I've got no ambitions, no goals, no aims and I genuinely hate the degree I'm doing and the fields it may potentially give me access to. I also fucked up the one chance I had of doing something I actually want to do (film) so that's something.

Only adding to the future woes is a mix of loneliness and wanting to be alone that makes any situation I put myself into or find myself in feel 'wrong.' My first year of university only amplified the social anxiety and depressive tendencies I had before. Feels like I should get help but the effort on my own part and the potential effects it might have on my family are driving me away.

So, yeah, shit's fucked, yo. At least I've got some damn good video games, TV and film to look forward to and keep me busy.

I sold my London house and now I'm living on the northeast coast, a very short walk away from the council house in which I spent my childhood. But this time I'm in a beautiful house I own outright. The intervening 45 years away have given me a great appreciation of the beauty of this place. My family and I have no financial worries, although we're not rich. I need never work again.

I was born at exactly the right time. My tertiary education was paid for by the government, I have programming skills and I spent most of my working life doing whatever took my fancy and getting paid for it. I've been married for more than thirty years and we both agree that it was the best thing that ever happened to us.

There are problems, but my living circumstances and those of my family are wonderful and we're all physically healthy.

JimiNutz

Banned
It's by no means perfect but I really can't complain.

- I have a loving girlfriend of 7 years that is probably the best woman I've ever known.
- I have two lovely and healthy dogs.
- I have a stable, decent paying job that I don't hate.
- I have a safe roof over my head.
- I am fit and healthy and do at least an hours physical exercise every day.
- I have hobbies that I'm passionate about.
- I get to take a holiday abroad at least once a year.
- I have no bank debt, credit card debt or other loans.

Areas for improvement:

- I wish I had more sex (mainly a time thing)
- I wish my job had longer career prospects...at some point I am going to have to change career and that gives me mild anxiety if I think about it too much.
- I rent my property and have no chance of saving enough to buy. Would be nice to have something a bit more stable.
- Although I am fit and healthy my hair is thinning and I can definitely feel myself getting older. I am no longer in my physical prime (32 in a few months!)
- Although I have no debt I have no real savings either so I guess I'm actually pretty 'poor'.

Overall I'm happy.

danthefan

Pretty good. I have a decent but not brilliant job. Partner of over 10 years. Have a social life and friends. Have my family. I'm still healthy, no problems there either.

brawly

24 with no idea what to do in life. I start a biology bachelor in september after quitting psychology in 2015.

Barely a social life but I'm fine with that. Just wish I found the way to go already, then I'd be fine.

cromofo

Life is pretty good.

I live in a quiet and nice area
I study for the job I like and want to do
I go to the gym regularly, best shape of my life. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't even drink coffee.
Hardworking family and relatively well-off compared to others
Will inherit some land and a place to stay so I'm set for further development and don't have to worry about it.

Enjoying the youth while I can. Don't plan on getting married anytime soon before 30, not even gonna marry tbh, just gonna settle down with someone and take it from there.

I hate my life.

I don't know if I will be able to finish University, and I'm already SO fuckin late. If a miracle happen and I finish it, my degree would be wothless probably for the time it took me to get it. So another 2 years after that for a master degree. But that goal right now is so away and impossible.

Or I'm not able to fiinish it and at 25 years I would be with just a High school degree and no job experience. (unless you count beta testing some fucking videogames couple of times a month. Yeah, I don't think you do )

Right now my future is pure darkness and depression. And the latter is already here, yay. I don't even remember what happiness feels like.

gatling

Pretty good. I quit one of my jobs to do something completely different to my career that gets me outside and working up a sweat for a few hours a day. I dont know why I did it, but I needed a change from being inside in front of computers all day. It was the best decision I've made in a long time. I can already feel good mental changes.

sam12

Pretty good. I quit one of my jobs to do something completely different to my career that gets me outside and working up a sweat for a few hours a day. I dont know why I did it, but I needed a change from being inside in front of computers all day. It was the best decision I've made in a long time. I can already feel good mental changes.

What do you do now?

smisk

Not great. I've had the same complaints about my life for years now - few relationships, boring job, no hobbies - for years now but haven't really done anything to address those things. It feels impossible to focus on my personal life when there are Nazi's marching through are streets. Probably have mild depression tbh, lately I don't feel good or excited about anything

On the plus side my job pays decently, I have no debt, and a good amount of savings so from a financial perspective I'm ok.

Mihos

Gold Member
My life is pretty sweet. Kids off to college, wife and I going out like we're teenagers again, and looking at an early retirement if we want that. Did all the hard work in my 20s, so 30s and 40s were a breeze, for the most part.

Iss ight, I guess.

I lost my previous job as a Desktop Support Technician about a month and a half ago due to funding, but was lucky enough to find a job earlier this month, (although it is complete unrelated). Hopefully, I can attain my A+ certification within the upcoming months to dive back into the tech field. Ideally, I'd like to become a Systems Admin, but the lack of experience and exposure is seriously hurting me.

Another note is that I would like to begin dating again, but with the way my professional life has taken a tumble I feel as if it'd only serve as a distraction.

Not great. I've had the same complaints about my life for years now - few relationships, boring job, no hobbies - for years now but haven't really done anything to address those things. It feels impossible to focus on my personal life when there are Nazi's marching through are streets.

This too. I haven't posted in any of the GAF threads revolving around the subject, but my problems seem so minuscule when compared to what's happening in this country.

My life is pretty sweet. Kids off to college, wife and I going out like we're teenagers again, and looking at an early retirement if we want that. Did all the hard work in my 20s, so 30s and 40s were a breeze, for the most part.

Any tips?

amanset

. I also fucked up the one chance I had of doing something I actually want to do (film) so that's something.

You've never fucked your one chance. There's never just one chance.

Well within reason. I'm assuming you haven't killed someone or on the sex offenders register or something.

jiiikoo

Banned
I generally feel fine. There are things that are hurting and one big thing that is looming in the future, which kills me on the inside... But as a whole, I am quite content on things.

I feel okay about it right now. Lots of good things have happened to me in the last year like finishing grad school and getting married, but I'm spending a lot of money and time fixing up my old house (in another state) so I can sell it, my wife works all the time (she manages project managers and is ultimately responsible for over 300 active projects), and I need to get in shape. In 3-6 months things will be much better.

My life is better today than it's ever been, honestly.

My relationship with my wife is as good as I can imagine, my kids are growing up into reasonable, decent human beings, my home is comfortable, I have no debt, a decent job (that lets me work from home 90% of the time), and pretty much everything I could want.

Really the only major flaw is that I'm a big fat dude and need to get in better shape. So that's the next project.

gaiages

Banned
It's complicated, lol.

I've been stressed lately, but some of it is good stress, as I start some processes of maybe changing career paths. It's a long road though, and regardless of whether I do or not, I still want to finish my degree with my current major since my current job will pay for it. So it's a multiyear process, but I'm excited to move forward with it.

At the same time, though, I'm pretty busy day and night every weekday now, and a lot of weekend time is spent doing chores and working on other 'night job' stuff, so I don't have a lot of decompression time.

But at least the 'night job' will help me pay down debts faster, which is a majorly important step if I want to change career paths.

So, uh... I feel alright right now? Other than the sinus issues I have at the moment, that is.

I hate my boss and I hate my job, I'm underpaid and therefore really struggling financially. Pretty much the complete opposite of where I was 10 years ago which is depressing.
Put a lot of money into a business venture but the economy took care of it.

Fortunately I have an amazing son for whom I'll endure anything, otherwise I'd have checked myself out by now.

Turin

Banned
I've accepted that I'm going to be taking care of my dad for the rest of my life. Still working on getting a degree of some kind at 26.

That's all fine to me. I just don't know what's going to happen at all. Total fog.

Plum

You've never fucked your one chance. There's never just one chance.

Well within reason. I'm assuming you haven't killed someone or on the sex offenders register or something.

lol no neither of those

As for what I meant, I've essentially alienated myself from my university's film society which, whilst not being my only chance, was my best chance of starting a portfolio and gaining experiencd/contacts. I was being a bit hyperbolic with the "only chance" thing though, I must admit.

The God

that's a rough row to hoe. But give me a link to your book, I'll check it out.

Also, why do people say shit like this? It's a cry for help. Please reach out if you honestly feel this disconnected and lonely. To your friends or family or people on here (including me). Please don't do this we need you.

Op asked how I was doing

afroguy10

I'm feeling a bit shit to be honest with you.

I'm happy in my job, hopeful I can get the promotion I've went for and my family life is great but my relationship is suffering.

I don't think I love my girlfriend anymore and I almost kissed a girl from work last weekend when a bunch of us went out for drinks and got very drunk. We stopped ourselves before anything happened but I'm struggling. I've been with this girl near enough 2 years now and I think our differences are becoming an issue. The biggest being I want to shift some of the weight I've put on over the past couple of years and live a little healthier she's said she's not interested and has resigned herself to spending the rest of her life fat, I keep trying to get her round to losing weight together or just cutting out some of the shite we eat but she genuinely doesn't care.

I care about her but I don't know where to go and what to do from here.

Reckheim

Sold our Condo and bought an older townhome, pretty stressful but now that we're moved in its better.

Other than that life is good.

This thread's depressing as fuck.

I'm fine. I fucked up my original college choice, and would have graduated last term if I'd just gone with my original choice. Now I think it's gonna be another 2-3 years. That's really my only issue right now. Whole family was anticipating me graduating soon, and I dropped out of the previous school to go to my original choice because the school I'd been going to was a scam. I'd like to be able to blame my family, or at least those who should have known better than to let me or encourage me to go to that school, or who still don't believe that it was a scam. It's my fault though. I had doubts. I really didn't want to go there. I don't know why I did.

Hopefully I'm capable of getting an internship or something soon. My current job's a dead end and has nothing to do with what I'm in school for.

I want a well paying job so I can go live on my own and pay all my student loans off. That's all I want.

I'm stuck poor for all eternity and scraping our way to just make shit work. I don't have the opportunities to do anything about it since it's either take the shittest job at bottom wage or lose the house when what little savings from inheritance runs out.

Other than that I'm happy. I have the girl I want. I just wish saving to get married wasn't some eternal task and that choosing to paint a room didn't mean skirting the limits of paying the rent or not.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
I'm fine for the most part but man does my job situation suck. Ever since I got sick back in March and was out for like 4 days my boss has treated me like shit because she didn't know that I wasn't coming into work that day even though I texted her the night before I was at instacare that night. I told her I would bring a doctor's note to be excused since I would be out more than 3 days.

It also didn't help to find out my boss was a confederate sympathizer and carried around a confederate purse. Being a minority that has put a huge strain on our work relationship.

Aizo

Banned
I somewhat recently quit my job and moved to the other side of the city to a neighborhood I've always wanted to live in. The people I live with are nice and fun to talk to, my area is fucking amazing and convenient, and it's connected without any transfers on the trains to 4 other areas I love. Due to being unemployed, I have way more time to play guitar, study, and read, which is great. I've also been going to lots of interesting events and meeting cool people.

The downsides are pretty serious, though. I have no job. All the jobs I look at seem to be jobs that won't move me forward in the way I wanted. I have enough money, but if I don't find something relatively soon, I'll be in trouble with my visa. Anyway, I'm pretty optimistic that I will solve these issues. I'm definitely working at fixing this problem.

Once I have a new job, I'm excited to change a couple other things and really make my life great.
I lack the discipline to do things I'm not motivated to do.
I lack the discipline to do the things I am motivated to do. haha

Doing great, God has really blessed my family the past month.

Started a new job almost a month ago which was almost a 20k bump in pay and allowed my wife to stay home with our son(which she has wanted for almost two years now). Much less stress, better boss and work life balance and we're taking my son to Disney world next month over his birthday.

Has been one of the best months in years for me and my family.

Edit: Forgot to add, one of my close friend is in the process of receiving an offer to work at my current company as well and he starts after Labor Day.

Necron

I love my job as a research fellow, doing chemistry and working with nice people. I have enough money in the bank and time as well. Health wise I'm doing fine I think; however, I should actually put on some weight and train some more at the gym. I love my apartment and the way I've decorated it. I have a small but close group of friends. I have great parents as well.

That said, the only area I struggle with is finding love. I wish I could build up a relationship with someone again. My girlfriend of nearly four years left me 7 months ago. I should go outside more and talk to people. My shyness and avoiding social gatherings is my own undoing, however. I lack confidence and motivation to put myself out there... but I really have no reason to be that way. Meeting "the right person" is somehow difficult for me.

In conclusion, I'm happy where I am but the aforementioned loneliness really does get to me sometimes...

Top Bottom