• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
And thats just kind of sad with all the subtle racism that gets a pass here.

The reason things like this happen is because people dont want to address the prejudices and preconceived notions that still exist in America,

I remember a couple years ago at 3pm in a McDonalds parking lot I was eating my lunch, when my car was surrounded by 6 plain clothes detectives. They dragged me out of the car and searched me and the car at gunpoint. They claimed they were looking for drugs but all I was doing was suspiciously eating some chicken nuggets.

To be fair, eating at McDonalds is very suspicious.

S-Wind

This case really brings out the underlying racial tension and prejudices in the US. My god. It's amazing watching people claiming they are not racist make racist and stereo typical remarks. It brings out the deep seated mistrust we have with each other; the emotional fear and misunderstandings coupled with passive aggressiveness racism. These past few months has seen a rise in stories about racial prejudice and it's very depressing. Just as depressing as the morons defending Zimmerman.

No kidding.

I was blown away by one of reallink's earliest posts in this thread, if not his very first one, where, even before knowing anything other than Trayvon Martin is black, he's suggesting he may be a gangbanger or a linebacker.

Fucking hell!

REALLY?!!!

Dhx

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Taking the default position that the term 'law-abiding citizens' is simply code for 'white citizens' when used in the South is rather insulting. Has it been used that way many, many times? Yes. But to broadly apply it without qualification is, again, rather insulting.

I haven't read the thread and popped in for a news update so perhaps I missed the context? If so, I apologize.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
No kidding.

I was blown away by one of reallink's earliest posts in this thread, if not his veyr first one, where, even before knowing anything other than Trayvon Martin is black, he's assuming suggesting he may be a gangbanger or a linebacker.

Fucking hell!

REALLY?!!!

Even worse were the guys trying to defend the killing of the cuffed at the transit station or rationalize it by saying it was stress related/guy meant to grab his stun gun.

Did they even apologize?

Hell no. Gave me some bs excuse about drug deals going down.

If they were waiting for drug deals shouldn't they be waiting for another car to pull up next to me.

Or they thought I was the drug dealer because I was a black guy in a fairly new car alone in a public parking lot. Suspiciously using sweet & sour instead of BBQ sauce. Glad I didn't have some skittles on me.

Taking the default position that the term 'law-abiding citizens' is simply code for 'white citizens' when used in the South is rather insulting. Has it been used that way many, many times? Yes. But to broadly apply it without qualification is, again, rather insulting.

I haven't read the thread and popped in for a news update so perhaps I missed the context? If so, I apologize.

No, you didn't miss any context. And I don't understand why a fact about the world--that "law-abiding" is Southern code for white--would insult you. I'm not insulted by the fact that giraffes have long necks, for example.

Kevtones

What kind of charges could Zimmerman get?

Seems like Voluntary Manslaughter? Very difficult to prove an intent to kill or any premeditation of violence from what we have now. The dispatch call works in his favor, due to his demeanor and approach. His frustration vented about how 'these guys alway get away' does show an initiative from him but it doesn't serve as proof of violent intent.

Dhx

No, you didn't miss any context. And I don't understand why a fact about the world--that "law-abiding" is Southern code for white--would insult you. I'm not insulted by the fact that giraffes have long necks, for example.

Because while all giraffes have long necks, language and connotation are subjective.

Seems like Voluntary Manslaughter? Very difficult to prove an intent to kill or any premeditation of violence from what we have now. The dispatch call works in his favor, due to his demeanor and approach. His frustration vented about how 'these guys alway get away' does show an initiative from him but it doesn't serve as proof of violent intent.

Voluntary Manslaughter or Murder 2, IMO. Using the firearm after being the aggressor (secondary to stalking, pursuing on foot, and confronting) is his problem.

Could care less about the charge or subsequent punishment I just want an arrest, because every day that he is free sets an embarrassing precedent for the justice system.

Kevtones

Could care less about the charge or subsequent punishment I just want an arrest, because every day that he is free sets an embarrassing precedent for the justice system.

Agreed, although I can see why the Police Department would wait. The initial non-arrest aspect of it brings in some difficult legal issues I believe. Considering the attention the case is getting, they have to be extremely careful in any move they make. It's wrong, but it's he reality.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
In that Fox video with the eyewitness 'John' has this guy made himself known yet? i notice other people who apparently saw parts of what happened have come forward and their accounts sound very different from his. Also i've seen people on the internet posting that video as if it's new info. That report was shot the day after the incident when facts were thin on the ground. And their were reports of police leading witnesses..

Yeah, I noticed that too. He says they were right outside his door. Other people said they were right outside their window. 'Right outside' can mean many things, we aren't sure who they were closest to, and who saw/heard them the best.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

The reason things like this happen is because people dont want to address the prejudices and preconceived notions that still exist in America,

I remember a couple years ago at 3pm in a McDonalds parking lot I was eating my lunch, when my car was surrounded by 6 plain clothes detectives. They dragged me out of the car and searched me and the car at gunpoint. They claimed they were looking for drugs but all I was doing was suspiciously eating some chicken nuggets.

lol sorry, but your story played out like a Chappelle skit in my head.

damn brah.

Just out of curiosity: anyone here think this story happens if soundscream he had looked like your average white dude rather than your average black dude, all other things (car, nuggets, cola, etc) being equal? Or if he had been a she?

Don't know if this is new news or not but apparently Trayvon Martin called 911 before he was shot and the Justice department is trying to enhance the audio of the call.

http://tattletailzz.com/2012/03/investigators-are-reviewing-trayvon-martins-call-to-911/

Really makes Zimmermans claim of being jumped even more bullshit.

EDIT: Source is abc news.

Are the police serious? Are they fucking serious? How the fuck have we not heard of it until now? How the fuck have they never mentioned it until now? Fucking fuck.

Onemic

damn brah.

Just out of curiosity: anyone here think this story happens if soundscream he had looked like your average white dude rather than your average black dude, all other things (car, nuggets, cola, etc) being equal? Or if he had been a she?

They would have done the same thing. Eating nuggets in your car is pretty suspicious.

gcubed

i feel horrible for the family and I assume something had to happen soon since an entire political party has been living on thinly veiled racism for the last 4 years. I'm not even saying the crime itself was racially motivated, although the way the police department handled it is looking worse and worse every day.

Its amazing to me how quickly commentary has eroded women and minority rights in this country... and in 2012 at that.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I've never been harassed by cops like that, in fact if I really think about it I've never really experienced any overt racism :/. It must suck real balls. My ethnicity comes up more when people hear my name than when they just see me (Muslim name).

PK Gaming

That is so fucking horrifying, i'm glad you got out of their alive. Not only did they drag you out, they held you at gunpoint? What the fuck?

verbum

damn brah.

I'm white. I'm surprised at some of the younger white people's speech and feelings in stressful situations. They will usually hang out with some black people present, play a lot of rap/etc, and borrow clothing styles from black culture.
And yet when they get angry such as in a shouting match, they will use words "wigger", "n*****", "oreo", "black bitch", and others.
I thought maybe they would be more tolerant since they grew up with black families as neighbors, went to school with blacks since kindergarten, and used a lot of elements from black culture in their daily lives.
I guess when people feel angry or fearful, that latent racism comes out. Maybe people look for differences when they are stressed.
I get tensed up if I'm walking my dog at 9-10 pm and one or two unknown black men are approaching me. More so than than if it was one or two unknown white men. And I blame that on myself (raised in Georgia) and that my fears are reinforced by movies, news articles which show a picture of a black man as the one arrested or being sought (I realize now that I kind of forget about the pictures of the white/Hispanic men) and TV shows.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Really? GAF is one of the most racially sensitive public forums I'm aware of.

Only cause the racists have to bite their tongues to a great extent.

Hahahahaha

Enosh

and TV shows.
that one made me laugh, since I watch pretty much all the popular cop tv shows (all 3 csi, bones, hawaii five 0 etc) and I can count the number of non white criminals on one hand across all of them for a given season

Fucking A. The rightwing media took a while to figure out what they were going to say about the case, but now that they've decided they're coming out hard. And stupidly.

Obama and the White House have previously refrained from commenting on the case thus far. Following demands by the New Black Panthers and others on scene in Sanford, Fla. that the White House get involved, Obama jumped into the fight.

-Martin Boyle
Are they just outraged over the Justice Department and FBI involvement because of Obama? I mean, surely they have to be away of just how unpopular being a dick about this whole tragedy given Geraldo's backlash.

Dram

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/23/did-trayvon-shooter-abuse-911.html

But starting in 2011, Zimmerman’s calls increasingly focused on what he considered “suspicious” characters walking around the neighborhood—almost all of whom were young black males.

On April 22, 2011, Zimmerman called to report a black male about “7-9” years old, four feet tall, with a “skinny build” and short black hair. There is no indication in the police report of the reason for Zimmerman’s suspicion of the boy.

On Aug. 3 of last year, Zimmerman reported a black male who he believed was “involved in recent” burglaries in the neighborhood.

And on Oct. 1 he reported two black male suspects “20-30” years old, in a white Chevrolet Impala. He told police he did “not recognize” the men or their vehicle and that he was concerned because of the recent burglaries.

Despite the frequency of his calls to the police, Zimmerman had only become a member of the neighborhood watch in September 2011. In fact, Twin Lakes’ neighborhood watch itself did not exist before then, according to Wendy Dorival, volunteer coordinator for the Sanford Police Department.

Dorival first met with Twin Lakes residents to give a neighborhood-watch presentation on the evening of Sept. 22. The meeting was initiated by a call from Zimmerman, she said.

“He was the one who contacted me at first to get it started there,” Dorival said.

Dorival recalled that about two dozen residents showed up to hear her speak about the responsibilities of neighborhood-watch volunteers.

“There were about three or four burglaries that had happened that people were upset about, and that’s what initiated me to get out there for them to start a neighborhood watch,” Dorival said.

Part of the instruction Dorival gives new volunteers, she said, includes when to call 911 and when to call non-emergency numbers. Both lines go to the same operator, Dorival told the Daily Beast, but the different numbers allow the operator to triage calls.

According to the instructional materials prepared by the Sanford police department, one of Zimmerman’s responsibilities as neighborhood watch coordinator was to act as a liaison between the Sanford police and the neighborhood-watch volunteers. A police slideshow (PDF) Dorival screened at her presentation says the neighborhood watch is “NOT the vigilante police.”

On April 22, 2011, Zimmerman called to report a black male about “7-9” years old, four feet tall, with a “skinny build” and short black hair. There is no indication in the police report of the reason for Zimmerman’s suspicion of the boy.
Wow.

Probably not, but don't think whitey is exempt from stupid cop bullshit. I was walking home at 7p one night, and a bunch of cops go flying in the other direction. One of them whipped a U-turn, cuffed me, shoved me in the back, and drove me to a convenience store about a mile away. Despite lily white ass walking towards the convenience store, they thought I had just help up the place. The clerk looked dumbfounded, apparently he reported the suspect as African American.

Then again, I probably got the whitey benefit of the doubt that time I threw a beer on a bartender...

verbum

Fucking A.

Are they just outraged over the Justice Department and FBI involvement because of Obama? I mean, surely they have to be away of just how unpopular being a dick about this whole tragedy given Geraldo's backlash.

Who votes for their type of politician? Who goes to their sites and runs up the page views?

I'm so confused, is this real? Source? I always thought "law-abiding citizen" simply meant a legal citizen who didn't break laws.

J9oll.jpg

As an American who's only lived 6 years of his life in America, for a time I swore America was more racist than some of the countries I lived in that wasn't racially mixed. This thread does little to change my belief.

As an American who's only lived 6 years of his life in America, for a time I swore America was more racist than some of the countries I lived in that wasn't racially mixed. This thread does little to change my belief.

Homogenous countries will have fewer racial tensions. They might stare at you like an exotic curiosity but they generally won't hate you on sight. It also doesn't help that America is a dangerous place due to gun culture. In America if you're in the wrong state or the wrong neighborhood you need to be mindful of the color of your skin; it could get you shot.

IceCold

I keep hearing this is what happened:

1.The witness reports that George Zimmerman was on the ground and Trayvon is on top of him punching him.
2.The witness says that George Zimmerman was screaming and yelling for help.
3.Police arrive and find Zimmerman bleeding on his face and the back of his head. He also has had grass stains on his back. All this confirms the story told by Zimmerman and the witness.
4.Police play the 911 tape for Trayvon Martin’s father, who tells police that the voice screaming is not the voice of his son.

How much bullshit is in this?

Ripclawe

Banned
Wow in-fucking-deed. This guy has issues with blacks. Who the fuck calls the cops on elementary/primary kids?
So should I point out in the case of the kid the reason given by the guy which you can read in the pdf file in the same article was the child was on a busy street and he was concerned for his well being? Not about being suspicion

Or would that ruin the narrative that is built up here? Sloppy writing on the article writers part.
. It is filled with bullshit, where do you hear this

That's from the first witness and first news reports that seem to be revisited now.

Ripclawe

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom