• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Link Only 1$ With Icey Bundle

Nzyme32

I'm sure there will be a 4K steam link on the way considering the Samsung TVs already have Steam Link internals that do this with aplomb

But I can always do with having one for our other 1080p TV, bought!

Remember newer Samsung TVs come with steam link built in as an app, I was sorta tempting but paying $8 shipping kills the deal for me.

I don't think its a price error either, its on the front page of steam client. Not a bad deal, but not something I'd really use given all my new TVs are samsungs.

Almost bought it, but it would cost around 20£ total, and game uk already had steam links for 12£, guess I'll pass, but still a good deal.

BiggNife

Showing up as 16-something for me.

It's $7 game + $1 SteamLink + $8 shipping. So actually $16.

But still a pretty good deal regardless.

Can I use a ps4 controller? How's the quality of the streaming? What are requirement for speed? My internet is 100 down 10 up.

*Yes, Steamlink uses Big Picture Mode which auto-recognizes PS4 controllers and lets you use them in any game that has controller support even if it doesn't support the DS4 natively

*In my experience, the streaming quality is better than it used to be. There's a small amount of added lag, which is inevitable, but I've been able to play Cuphead with it with no issues.

*If you're using a wired connection, you should be fine regardless of speed. For wireless, YMMV. My old router gave me tons of lag spikes but my new router works perfectly.

Erheller

Quoting myself from the Steam thread about the game:

ICEY is a pretty good game, especially if you've ever tried to go through the creative process.

It's a bit on the nose and wears its heart on its sleeve, but it's genuinely clever and touching at times. Unexpectedly good.

I don't understand Mandarin , but I loved the voice acting.

I can't get the Steam Link for $1 since I already have the game :(

Can I use a ps4 controller? How’s the quality of the streaming? What are requirement for speed? My internet is 100 down 10 up.

Yes you can
Fantastic over wired or wireless AC
For good streaming, 30mbps would work, but latency is key
Internet speed won't matter. It's for internal network streaming

bobawesome

It's $7 game + $1 SteamLink + $8 shipping. So actually $16.

But still a pretty good deal regardless.

YcVbpwP.png

AHA-Lambda

ah whaa?

I already own Icey so it only gives me an option to purchase the bundle as a gift, but then that same option is greyed out at the checkout page?

Yes, that is the main appeal of it.

I use my steamlink to play games in my basement rec room from my desktop in my bedroom upstairs.
I mean beyond games. Can I mirror my desktop outside of Steam itself and just use it as a remote monitor in place of running an HDMI cable from my GPU to my TV?

TripleBee

Good deal. But I can't help but feel Valve will announce a revision to the Steam Link the moment I order this. Seems about time.

CompC

I mean beyond games. Can I mirror my desktop outside of Steam itself and just use it as a remote monitor in place of running an HDMI cable from my GPU to my TV?

I don't have one but I think you can send any app that you add to Steam as a non-steam game.

Yep. It will launch in Big Picture Mode but you just minimize it and there's your desktop.

Does anyone have experience using a Steam link with wireless extender?
e.g. PC -> Router -> Wireless extender -> Steam Link.

BiggNife

I haven't done it myself but I don't see why not. I know you can minimize big picture mode and stream your desktop.

MoogleMan

In for one even though I already have two. The mrs. got in on the deal too.

I've had icey on my wishlist for a while so it works out for me.

Used to have a Steam Link at my old place when I got roughly 10-15 Mbps on a good day. Got frustrated at the input lag though and ended up returning it. Even on a wired connection, the lag was pretty bad.

We've moved and we get 50 Mbps now... Is it worth giving it another shot? Racing/action games were pretty much unplayable at my old speed but I'd be willing to give it another go, if people here think the speed bump would help.

jfoul

Well, at least with the Samsung steam link you are given an option under settings to launch steam link at the desktop instead or big picture mode. It's really nice, but I don't know if the Steam Link hardware also has this option. You can always alt/tab, or Win Key + D for desktop. I'm thinking about getting this for my 1080p Panasonic plasma in the bedroom.

Where is my package shipped from?

All Steam Hardware orders are shipped from our warehouse in the United States or our warehouse in the European Union. Currently, orders on Steam are only shipped to these regions (within the 48 contiguous US states and within the EU). Users in Canada can order from EB Games or Amazon Canada Online.

Our US facility is in Carol Stream, IL.
Our EU facility is in Tilburg, NL.

Top Bottom